Yeltsin Cup 2007

• According to azerisport.com Yeltsin Cup is still under question (because fisrt president of Russia died on the 23 of April). Hope this tournament will be held, and may be renamed to Yeltsin memorial Cup or smth like this.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself. (Oscar Wilde).

• Quote from "Nick"

According to azerisport.com Yeltsin Cup is still under question (because fisrt president of Russia died on the 23 of April). Hope this tournament will be held, and may be renamed to Yeltsin memorial Cup or smth like this.

oh, my dear russia, please dont , we all know boris is a great volley fans, he would have it held if he knows this from heaven
    i guess the tournament will begin with a silent prayer for president yeltsin rather than cancel it---he loves volley lol

• It is confirmed now that Yeltsin Cup will be held! :)

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself. (Oscar Wilde).

• According to volley.ru the following teams will take part in Yeltsin Cup 2007:
    Azerbaijan
    Belarus
    China
    Cuba
    Japan
    Netherlands
    Russia
    Turkey
    It's a pity of course that Brasil and Serbia won't take part.

Pool A.
    Russia
    Japan
    Cuba
    Turkey

Pool B.
    China
    Netherlands
    Azerbaijan
    Belarus

• It will be televised by PlanetaSport I hope?

• The finals of this competition will be broadcast in Brazil by Bandsports Channel.

The 7 or 8-hour lag will be a major setback for me to watch it though.

• Quote from "Celso"

The finals of this competition will be broadcast in Brazil by Bandsports Channel.

The 7 or 8-hour lag will be a major setback for me to watch it though.

It makes me remember all the nights of sleep that I miss when there's a volleyball tournament :dance: 2 am, 3 am, 4 am... :roll:

• Some changes in Yeltsin Cup.
    Now pools look like this:

Pool A.
    Russia
    Japan
    Turkey
    Belarus

Pool B.
    China
    Netherlands
    Azerbaijan
    Russia-2

So, it's a pity but Cuba for some reasons (I don't know why) is missing :(
    Matches start on 28 of June.

• Quote from "Nick"

So, it's a pity but Cuba for some reasons (I don't know why) is missing :(
    Matches start on 28 of June.

In Colima, Mexico there will be the VI Panamerican Cup (19-30 June 2007), and the first 4 teams in this tournament qualify for the FIVB Grand Prix 2008.
    For this reason this tournament is more important, i guess, than the Yeltsin Cup. Cuba needs to send the best team to Mexico.

This is the link: http://www.norceca.org/endex.htm

The 12 participants in this tournament are:
    Brasil
    USA
    Dominican Rep.
    Cuba
    Puerto Rico
    Peru
    Mexico
    Canada
    Argentina
    Uruguay
    Costa Rica
    Trinidad

• Quote from "LothiePG"

Two Russias? :shock:

Yes, two Russias. Such formation was in previous cup in 2006. Russia-2 is our youth team.

• Quote from "Nick"

Two Russias? :shock
    Yes, two Russias. Such formation was in previous cup in 2006. Russia-2 is our youth team.

well, i guess russia has to make up for the vacancies since cuba goes for pan american cup

but the pan american cups have so many teams, which will threaten the top 4 anyway, i wonder :?:

• Quote from "colossus"

well, i guess russia has to make up for the vacancies since cuba goes for pan american cup

but the pan american cups have so many teams, which will threaten the top 4 anyway, i wonder :?:

This is a topic for Yeltsin Cup, however, regarding Panamerican Cup, the heavy favorites are the top 4 (Brasil, Cuba, USA and Dominican Rep.), but Puerto Rico, Peru and Canada could be nice surprises.

Remember that Puerto Rico beat USA and Dominican in friendly and official matches in the recent past.

And in the WCH Japan 2006 in a "win or die match" Cuba hardly beat Peru 3x2 after being down 1-2.....

• Quote from "xopxeech"

This is a topic for Yeltsin Cup, however, regarding Panamerican Cup, the heavy favorites are the top 4 (Brasil, Cuba, USA and Dominican Rep.), but Puerto Rico, Peru and Canada could be nice surprises.

Remember that Puerto Rico beat USA and Dominican in friendly and official matches in the recent past.

And in the WCH Japan 2006 in a "win or die match" Cuba hardly beat Peru 3x2 after being down 1-2.....

Puerto Rico also beat Brazil in Pan American Cup last edition...

• Gamova won't play in Yeltsin Cup because she is treating her injury and it's not yet known when she'll start training.
    Web page of cup http://www.yeltsincup.ru/