Qualification tournament for the World Grand Prix 2008

• Quote from "WIELKI_ZNAWCA_PIERWSZY"

Yep. And teams will be inviting to WGP ;)

So WGP is turning to another VolleyMasters style, with invitations, rather than qualifications
    16 teams...would that be too many? Maybe there would be like 5 teams from Europe, 4 or 5 from Asia, 4 from Americas
    what about remaining slots? Africa? or some from other continents?

• Quote from "LothiePG"

WGP04 was held before the OG, so I guess the same will happen :wink2:

But the WGP96 was held after Atlanta 96...so...it really depends
    since this year went late again...after the 2006 version

• Germany vs Azerbaijan = 3-0 (25:22; 25:8; 25:20)
    http://www.cev.lu/mmp/online/w…63/9971/9972/9277_EN.html

Serbia vs Bulgaria = 3-0 (25:21; 25:19; 25:16)
    http://www.cev.lu/mmp/online/w…63/9971/9972/9278_EN.html

Italy vs Turkey = 0-3 (23:25; 23:25; 17:25)
    http://www.cev.lu/mmp/online/w…63/9971/9972/9279_EN.html

• chiappini is doing a really god job.
    Turkey vs Azerbaijan = 3-1
    Serbia vs Turkey = 2-3
    Turkey vs Russia = 3-1
    Italy vs Turkey = 0-3
    Germany vs Turkey= :?: :?: (ı hope 0-3.ı wanna see germany and serbia trying HARD to beat each other on sunday in order to qualify for WGP08 ı'd prefer italy but anyway)

• Big congratulations to Turkey!! :D You have great young players (Eda Erdem, Kirdar Gozde), Demir is becoming year by year stronger, and Bahar is a very good setter! Chiappini is a good coach too, very polite and calm. What did surprise me (in a positive way) was your public. It's beautiful to see young girls, young men, old men and women all supporting your team in such a warm way. :D

Italy was a big disappointment for me in every match. Fiorin and Ortolani are playing every day worse. Yesterday Fiorin was crying at the end of the match, because she just can't play on her levels in this period. No blocks, bad reception and bad defence!! The setting is not good either. I think today we should give a chance to Dall'Igna. Too many mistakes on serves and just Guiggi jump serving. Unfortunately I think we won't qualify. :cry2: :cry2: :( I hope that today they will play better and try to win with Bulgaria and Russia.
    At least they went there to have experience.

• Unbelievable that Serbia had match points in EVERY match they played so far and still may not qualify. :( I can't get over that meltdown against Italy, but I think they have a good chance against Germany. Damn, if only Djerisilo was here...

• Russia (without Gamova and Godina) def. Azerbaijan 3-2
    Germany def. Turkey 3-0 Some resistance :roll:

Jeez, it's very complicated now. Serbia has to beat Germany to have a chance. Germany may go through even if they lose. The winner of Italy vs Russia will have a chance to qualify, but the loser will be eliminated.
    I guess it will all come down to the won/lost sets ratio.

• Hm, I've been doing some calculations and it looks like this victory has put Germany through. They can't be caught now, so Turkey and Germany have qualified.
    Now, provided that Italy beats Bulgaria today, they are two scenarios:

1) Serbia loses tomorrow. In that case the winner of Russia vs Italy goes through.
    2) Serbia wins. In that case they are certainly going through because they will have better sets ratio than Italy or will have more sets won than Russia.

I hope this is correct. :?

Edit: If Serbia wins 3-2 tomorrow, but Russia wins 3-0, Russia will go through. If Serbia wins 3-1 or 3-0, they will have qualified no matter the Russian score.

Blah, this is so annoying. I'll just wait and see what happens tomorrow. :lol:

• But on the CEV website, it only says that Germany is sure of qualify
    it didn't say Turkey is sure in....
    quite confusing...
    so is more like Russia, Italy Serbia and Turkey would still have a chance

• Germany def. Serbia 3-1 :(
    Serbia is out. That's too bad, but they only have themselves to blame. They really should have beaten Italy.

I have no doubt that Turkey will beat Bulgaria, so the winner of Italy vs Russia will be the 3rd team to qualify for GP.

• Bulgaria def. Turkey 3-0 :roll: Nice effort from the hosts in the last two games.
    Italy def. Russia 3-1

Germany, Turkey and Italy have qualified.

GP without Russia just doesn't seem right. :?

• Quote from "Joana"

so right :?
    who knows, maybe fivb will include them somehow anyway lol.... i wouldnt be all too surprised after all what happened in the last weeks

• Quote from "Joana"

Sokolova as a libero :roll:

• Quote from "Nastja"

so right :?
    who knows, maybe fivb will include them somehow anyway lol.... i wouldnt be all too surprised after all what happened in the last weeks

Russia was chosen as host of one tournament :roll: and now without own team I dont think they are still interesting !!!!

• Hey guys, let me see if I got it straight.

There are 4 spots for the European Teams in the WGP. Three of them were decided in the WGP Qualification Tournament. As far as I'm concerned, the fourth spot was supposed to be of the Dutch Team, but they have withdrawn cause their aim in 2008 is the Volleyball Tournament of the OG.

Then the fourth european spot will be given to a wild-card team?

If this is so, then Russia stands good chances of taking part of next year's GP. Anyway, I think the Russian Team would prefer to be practising for the OG rather than playing the WGP. They did it last year and their choice was proven to be the best. The WGP medallists didn't win any medal in the OG.

I hope Brazil Team could learn this lesson, but it seems they won't.

• Quote from "Celso"

Hey guys, let me see if I got it straight.

There are 4 spots for the European Teams in the WGP. Three of them were decided in the WGP Qualification Tournament. As far as I'm concerned, the fourth spot was supposed to be of the Dutch Team, but they have withdrawn cause their aim in 2008 is the Volleyball Tournament of the OG.

Then the fourth european spot will be given to a wild-card team?

4 teams from Europe: Poland, Turkey, Italy, Germany.

• Justyna,

why the Polish Team was chosen? Because they are the current ECH Champions?

If I remember well, they didn't even play this qualification tournament, right?

• Quote from "Celso"

If I remember well, they didn't even play this qualification tournament, right?

Poland didn't play in qual. tournament, because FIVB chosen Poland before this tournament (25.08.2007). Why? I don't have idea... They only announcement that Poland will be play in WGP 2008 without qualification.

• no one really knows why poland was chosen...
    so we have four teams for next year, as justyna already said... and i dont think a 5th will follow...
    But to be honest, who the heck will care much about GP anyway if the OG will follow soon after :wink2:

• Quote from "Nastja"

no one really knows why poland was chosen...
    so we have four teams for next year, as justyna already said... and i dont think a 5th will follow...
    But to be honest, who the heck will care much about GP anyway if the OG will follow soon after :wink2:

ı will :) :) because turkey will participate in WGP for the first time and ı want to know every step our girls will take in this competition.