XV Pan American Games - RIO DE JANEIRO/ BRAZIL

• Brazil 3 - 0 Dominican Republic (28-26, 25-16, 25-15)

• Brazil 3 - 0 Mexico (25-15, 25-16, 25-19)

• DAY 3:

PUR 3x0 CRC 25-14, 25-19, 25-14
    BRA 3x0 MEX 25-16, 25-15, 25-17
    CUB 3X0 USA 25-16, 25-23, 25-15
    PER 3x2 DOM 14-25, 25-13, 23-25, 29-27, 15-8 :shock: The current Panamerican champions (2003) are eliminated.

Semifinals will be tomorrow wednesday 18th

BRA x USA
    CUB x PER

• In the other semifinal match, Cuba beat Peru:

Cuba 3 - 0 Peru (25-14, 25-23, 25-22)

The US team and Peru will play for the bronze medal and Brazil will face Cuba for the Gold Medal.

I guess the Peruvians are the favourites to win tomorrow's match against USA.

• Tomorrow thursday 19 will be the long waited match between Brazil - Cuba.....
    cuba: yumilka ruiz, daimi ramirez, nancy carrillo, zoila barros, rosir calderon and Yanelis Santos
    brazil: fofao, waleska, sheila, paula, fabiana and Sassa

Brazil is in my opinion slightly favorite. 15:00 Brazil time you can watch it at:

http://espndeportes.espn.go.co…m07/popupVideo?s=1#Page_2

Cuba beating Peru in straight sets 25-14, 25-23, 25-22:

[/img]

• again brazil don't win a final game. after lose the semifina game in athens for russia, the gold medal in world champion too for russia, the national team lose to cuba 3-2(27-25/22-25/25-22/32-34/15-17). the brazilian had 5 gold match point in 4 set, but lose. in 5 set brazil had 2 gold match point, but..........

the "morenas del caribe" are pan american champion 2007. The game was very, very, very emotion.

teh podium:

1 CUBA
    2 BRAZIL :( :( :( :(
    3 USA

the men starting in championship in 23 day against canada.

in beach volley, ricardo/ emanuel and juliana/larissa go to quarter-final

juliana and larissa play today

• Brazil started the game of this fifth with the levantadora Fofão, the central offices Walewska and Fabiana, the tips Paula Small e Sassá, the Sheilla opposite and líbero Fabi. E found much difficulty in the start of the departure, mainly because of the strong Cuban booty. As the Brazilian pass did not function right, the aggressors had stopped in the blockade of the Caribbeans. Cuba opened 5-1 of advantage and compelled the technician Jose Robert Guimarães to ask for time. To the few, Brazil started to pass better, and Sheilla and Small Paula had diminished the advantage. Colon of Paula, one in the attack and another one in the blockade, they had made Brazil to pass for the first time to the front of the marker (13-12). The two teams had passed then if to alternate in the leadership. Set was defined in the last points. Two followed blockades, the last one of them obtained by the levantadora Fofão, had given to the victory to Brazil for 27 the 25. In the second partial one, Cuba used the same tactics to draw fort. In two aces, opened three points of advantage (6-3), compelling again Brazil to run behind the difference. Of this time, the Brazilian reaction delayed more to arrive. The country alone passed to the front of placar in the point that took to second time technician (16-15), with Sassá in a luck play. Cuba did not deliver itself, and came back to dominate the game. An attack for is of Mari gave set point to the Caribbeans. In the sequence, Sheilla was in the blockade and defined the partial one in 25-22 in favor of the Cuban. In third set, the Cuban had used to advantage the errors of Brazil to release in the front. The Brazilians, however, had not lost the concentration. E with one ace of Fabiana had assumed the leadership of the marker (6-5). One another booty point, now marked for Sheilla, took the teams to the time technician with more advantage (8-6). The Cuban had still tried to hold the team of Brazil, but a point of Walewska made with that the difference arrived the three points (15-12). Two followed errors of the Brazilians had left the tied up to departure (17-17). Zé Robert made then two modifications, placing in it squares Carol Albuquerque and Regiane and taking off Fofão and Sheilla. The changes had given resulted, and Brazil came back to dominate the game. A blockade of Regiane again placed the team colon in the front (20-18). Cuba if desestabilized, the Maracanãzinho blew up in shouts and Brazil if it sobressaiu, closing set in 25 the 22, after an attack for it are of Calderón. In last the partial one, the balance prevailed at the beginning. No teams obtained to open advantage until Cuba to make 11-8 with a blockade on Small Paula. Zé Robert tried to revert the situation placing Carol Albuquerque and Regiane in squares again. The difference, that arrived to be of five points (15-10), fell for two (15-13). But the reaction stopped for there. E Cuba placed five points of front again (19-14). Fofão and Sheilla had come back to square and Brazil reacted again. To the sound of “we go to capsize”, echoed for all the arquibancada one, the teams marked five followed points and obtained ties up to it. Cuba still had two set points, but it allowed a new reaction of Brazil, that had four possibilities to close the game. As the election did not use to advantage, the Cuban had gained partial for 34 the 32. The victory livened up Cuba in tie-break, and the Caribbeans had opened 2-0. But the excellent ticket of Sassá in the booty made with that Brazil marked five followed points, constructing a good advantage. Brazil, then, tried to manage the difference, but Cuba capsized for 10-9 with a blockade has attacked of Calderón. In the sequence, Sheilla placed Brazil of new in the front. The election had two match points, but it allowed the turn of Cuba that gained for 17 the 15.

• Brazil 2 - 3 Cuba (27-25, 22-25, 25-22, 32-34, 15-17)

Congrats to the Cuban Team! They just excelled at exploiting Brazil's team weak points. This golden match is definitely in the right hands.

This match was useful to draw a few conclusions about Brazil's team:

1) Brazil's team can't cope with pressure. Especially Fabiana! Her attacks in the end of the match were just ridiculous! Fofão had no options: only Paula and Sheilla in the end of the tie-breaker. Only these two players were scoring attack points in the tie-breaker. Of course there would be a double block for them and the defense would be aware of where their balls would fall at the very end of the match.

2) Brazil's team serves just sucks! Only Sassá serves decently. Sheilla, Jaqueline, Paula, Érika and Mari should resort to forced jump serves instead of serving as lousily as they do.

3) Fabi's receptions are terrible! If only Veridiana or Michelle could replace her.

4) The team misses Jaqueline. Sassá just serves well. I wonder what Érika is doing in the team. I'm sure that Natalia will replace either one or the other. Why haven't Zé Roberto replaced Sassá by Mari when Sassá was in the net? This is my burning question. Sassá was being blocked all the time. Didn't Zé Roberto saw it? Even Érika would have been a better option than Sassá.

5) It's high time Fofão had left the team. I don't know if she is too old and can't stand playing a whole 5-set match or what. But her settings were terrible in the end of the match. Maybe this was all Fabi's fault, with her lousy receptions.

6) Brazil's team showed of what it is capable of: Losing the match after the opponent's great come-back victory. The same history repeats all the time:

1996 Olympic Games Semifinal Match (against Cuba)
    2000 Olympic Games Semifinal Match (against Cuba)
    2004 Olympic Games Semifinal Match (against Russia)
    2006 World Championship Final Match (against Russia)
    2007 Pan-American Games Final Match (against Cuba)

Is that too much coincidence? I don't think so!

• Celso, I understand your frustation with another defeat for Brazil in an important game. However, you have to give credit to the great defense Cuba showed in crucial times, specially at the end of the game when Brazil attacked twice with great power, and cubans were able to save the ball.

Brazil had many chances to end the game, but they had in front of them another great team that defended exceptionally when it mattered.

Congratulations to both Cuba and Brazil because they gave us one of the best match ever.

• Quote from "xopxeech"

Celso, I understand your frustation with another defeat for Brazil in an important game. However, you have to give credit to the great defense Cuba showed in crucial times, specially at the end of the game when Brazil attacked twice with great power, and cubans were able to save the ball.

Brazil had many chances to end the game, but they had in front of them another great team that defended exceptionally when it mattered.

Congratulations to both Cuba and Brazil because they gave us one of the best match ever.

Honestly? I also don't think it was just a coincidence.
    I'm not taking off the credits of Cuba team, but I also think that they only won because we couldn't close the set. I was there, and by the end of the match, EVERYONE was just in shock :shock: No one believed that, because seeing it on tv is hard, but seeing it with a crowded gym cheering for Brazil is even worse.
    And by the way, defending is possible when the player attacks the ball in the direction of the player, not to the court. I saw them practising and I'm sure they always try to practice to hit empty spots, not the player, if they hit the player, the player can defend. It's not only credit of cuban players.

Also, in my opinion, there's a lack of humility in Brazilian players... by the end of the game they were just waiting to celebrate it and forgot to finish the match before. And sometimes they act like they're too good to lose the match.

I think Paula and Sheilla played for all the team. Fabi's receptions were awful, Fofão had problems in setting, Fabiana didn't do her job in the end of the match, Walewska just disappeared... PLEEEEEEEEEASE Zé, put Michelle as libero!

Anyway, I only can say after that, I have no hope of winning OG...

• Neither have I...

In fact, if I were to bet, I'd say Brazil would lose in the tie-breaker of the semifinal match. I don't know if that would be against Russia (like it happened in 1992 and 2004) or Cuba (like it happened in 1996 and 2000).

Maybe China, Italy and Serbia are the right candidates to beat Brazil.

I feel sorry for Sheilla, Paula, Jaqueline and Natália... they deserve better teammates.

• Female:

Juliana and larissa 2 - 0 Dalixia Fernandez e Tamara Larrea (21-15/21-17)

podium:

1 - BRA
    2 - CUB
    3 - MEX

MEN (today)

BRA face to USA in godal game
    canada face to cuba to bronze medal

• reading posts by you celso, lothie and xeech, i totally understand what you feel in a big game......like i was pissed by chinese team with all the injured players in WCH

but one match is only a match after all, you have to give time so that they become better the next time

after saying this, you guys cant really laugh in my face cos i said last year holland will have the chance to beat -----

dont get me wrong, i said that cos i was already aware of brazils weakness last year

i think from the result of what some of you said about the game, i think that has something to do with the fact that every team is improving:

holland, russia, poland, serbia, and japan

the reason is easy to spot: brazil has shown all their best in 2004-2006 grand prix and what is left is their weakness behind the glories

ze roberto is not blind; he knew that he has something to do, to fix the problems b4 olympics

• once i said brazil should use mari instead of sheilla cos mari is more powerful

you have to admit that one fabiana cant solve all the problem, brazil need a powerful hitter in hard times

thats my little insight for years :wink2: