World Grand Prix 2007 - Results

• China 3 - 2 Italy -- 23-25, 25-19, 25-22, 24-26, 15-12

China's defense was great! :shock:

• Quote from "Matthias"

Italy's defense was better :wink2: But Agüero alone is not enough to win.

I didn't find Italy's defense all that... I mean, it was good, but they had done it much better during other games... Guiggi also did a good match (at least attacking), but Fiorin was irregular, and Secolo/Ortolani didn't help at all...
    But still, it was a great match for China... they were calm and could finish the game without many problems...

• Lothie, I'm so sad!!! :( Italy isn't playing good and without Aguero it would be a disaster! :( :(
    This is the third match that Fiorin plays badly, the second of Ortolani! So many mistakes. No the defence was so-so. But if defence was discrete, we are a disaster in reception! Piccinini, Togut, Rinieri we need you!!!

Our middle blockers are all very good, but with this bad reception, Lo Bianco can't play with them! :(

• Quote from "Matthias"

Italy's defense was better :wink2: But Agüero alone is not enough to win.

You're right Matthias! Aguero can't do all alone! We have a big problem with OHs!! I don't understand what is happening to Fiorin! This is the third consequtive match which she plays really bad!!
    At Euros we should take other OHs. Our federation has to pressure Piccinini and Togut to play! Togut to return as opposite and Aguero as an OH with Piccinini. As reserves Ortolani as opposite and Del Core and Cicolari (or Fiorin) as OHs. With middle blockers we have many choices. As setters Lo Bianco and Ferretti. Libero, still I don't know, but it should be Cardullo.

• Quote from "samba player"

Lothie, I'm so sad!!! :( Italy isn't playing good and without Aguero it would be a disaster! :( :(
    This is the third match that Fiorin plays badly, the second of Ortolani! So many mistakes. No the defence was so-so. But if defence was discrete, we are a disaster in reception! Piccinini, Togut, Rinieri we need you!!!

Our middle blockers are all very good, but with this bad reception, Lo Bianco can't play with them! :(

Well, I don't think the team is that bad, but also it could be better... they did amazing games against Brazil and China during the qualify and maybe is a bit lost in the final round. Also there are a lot of players that aren't playing this GP but will be back for the EC and World Cup.
    I don't understand what is happening to Fiorin, because she did amazing games and now she has problems with every block in front of her. Ortolani did many mistakes during the games she played, but she also made good stuff. I think she's regular, you know what to expect of her.
    I don't like Barazza, I prefer to see Anzanello there. I don't like Del Core either.

The positive side of this GP is Netherlands.
    Yesterday, everyone here was saying that "Netherlands would never beat Brazil" and they did, as they did with China and Italy. It's good to see a new team rising, it makes the quality of the tournaments get better. And also, I'd be quite bored if it was always the same teams in the podium all the years. Within time, I think we will be able to see Poland there too.

• Quote from "samba player"

Lothie, I'm so sad!!! :( Italy isn't playing good and without Aguero it would be a disaster! :( :(

there is no doubt italys defense is better, but i also think one aguero is not enough

look aguero got 30 points for the match, so next year i believe it is better to have aguero play outside hitter, pairing with pinccinini and togut plays opposite and anzanello as blocker and thats the perfect solution for olumpic

currently, italy has only one original veteran on court----lo bianco, so the coming european championship, italy looks more promising with togut back on court :idea:

as for the chinese team, the defense is good enough, luckily the setter shows some improvement in her skills :) but defense didnt show much progress :cry2:

as for netherland won brazil, i think the result is as predicted cos flier and stallaence are good, but their defense really improves as i said during the yeltsin cup,(samba and others, you guys really need to re-watch this game, all the holland players are improving at a really speedy pace) 8)

brazil's major weakness is to have fabiana play walewska's role---from this i can see that guimaraes is still figuring out the best formation for 08; i also dont undertsnad why he replaced the libero with a new one, possibly he wants to improves defense

also noticeable today is that wow, gamova lost 20% of her power after her shoulder injury :!: in the match against poland

if russia hadnt taken the last set, i really fear for russia cos it is very easy for poland to reverse the result----in only the 1st set, russia was able to widen the gap....if this continues, netherland will be more than a rival in the coming match and in european champ. :idea:

bonnitta is really good, his strategies for serving float serves can do so much damages to opposing teams -------i think this is not the first time bonitta's strategies work

• Colossus, I like your predictions! You really are an expert in volleyball!! You said Netherlands will be a surprise and it is! You've said that Brazil won't win and it won't win! You said Italy isn't competitive and you were also right! The only thing you didn't predict well was Russia. But this is due to the fact that Sokolova, Godina, Gamova, Merkulova and Akulova have physical problems.

The Netherlands are amazing. They improve day by day!!! Stam, Flier, Visser, Wensink, Staelens all are improving!!

• Quote from "LothiePG"

I don't like Barazza, I prefer to see Anzanello there. I don't like Del Core either.

I agree! Gioli and Anza are better! Del Core is good at reception and defence, but she doesn't attack well. Picci is much better!

I agree, it will be boring if Brazil wins also this year!

• I saw the game today and I like of the netherland's game. the players ingrid visser and flier desequilibrated. they were very good. the setter is very good too. the brazil played bad. the receive one more time was horrible, and setter carol can't play with fast with middle block. the netherland too defense very well.

I think that netherland will disput the first place with russia and with big chance of win.

off course I'll want that brazil win, but if netherland will win I will be very happy.

• well...
    im a bit disappointed of poland but what to do.... better to loose the shape now and to gain it for EuroChamps again...
    Im proud of poland anyway, reaching the final round is just great :D

and the dutch girls... uff surprise surprise
    I must say that i dont like the team so much, maybe cos it consists like just of Amstelveen players :wink2: its kinda "unfair" cos they are used to play with each other. the other nationalteams and their players have to get used to each other first... I dont want them to win :roll:

Anyway, great GP and great advert for this sport. It shows just that any team can beat any other :D so u cant really say who'll win before watching the match! thats awesome! im waiting for the last 2 days now :D

• Quote from "Nastja"

well...
    im a bit disappointed of poland but what to do.... better to loose the shape now and to gain it for EuroChamps again...
    Im proud of poland anyway, reaching the final round is just great :D

exactly... Poland didn't have in the plan that he would enter to final six so still there are good results very much. therefore most important it to reach the form from ech 2005.
    when netherlands will keep such a form will be happening on ech :twisted:

• I expect great game tomorrow Poland - Netherlands.
    Why - Bonnita would like to test the best possible team against Netherlands.
    Poland can meet them at ECH.
    I've seen Bonnita he knows Russia style and today match was not very importnt for him - additionally two key Polish players didn't play today.

• Quote from "mariuszj1939"

Poland can meet them at ECH.

Mariusz. Poland will meet with Netherlands in 2nd round, for sure! Poland, Serbia and Netherlands will be fighting for a two semi-places. ;)

And I agree, that today's match betwen Poland and Russia wasn't important for Bonitta. And i think it isn't bad method. The is testing young players for ECH, and it is good lessons for Bednarek or Kaczorowska for future.

• This final round is the most balanced ever!

It´s nice to see a new team like Netherlands rising. I really hope they could win this WGP. It would be nice if the two newcomers could eventually be in the podium.

Brazil's team just sucks right now... I guess this is due to a lack of rhythm. While the other opponents faced strong teams, he faced Chinese Taipei three times, Japan and the Dominican Republic. While the other teams are used to tough opponents, Brazil's team wasn't tested and couldn't see its weak points (and they are many!).

I believe Brazil will lose both to Italy and China in the next two weeks. All I hope is that all these defeats could teach Brazil's team a lesson.

• Quote from "Celso"

Brazil's team just sucks right now... I guess this is due to a lack of rhythm. While the other opponents faced strong teams, he faced Chinese Taipei three times, Japan and the Dominican Republic. While the other teams are used to tough opponents, Brazil's team wasn't tested and couldn't see its weak points (and they are many!).

I believe Brazil will lose both to Italy and China in the next two weeks. All I hope is that all these defeats could teach Brazil's team a lesson.

I also think they'll lose the two next games. But I don't think I should blame the bad performances on the lack of good opponents in the qualify rounds. Maybe if Brazil had to face the same opponents USA faced, Brazil wouldn't even be in the final six. Because during other GP it also happened and Brazil won...

• I'm afraid you're wrong, LothiePG, last year we faced Cuba, USA, China and Italy in the preliminary round. I acknowledge we faced the Dominican Republic and Japan twice, but this year we had only one strong opponent in the preliminary round: Italy, cause the Netherlands reached its top form from the the third weekend on.

Of course this is not the only thing that explains Brazil's Team poor performance. The first of all for me, it was a huge mistake Brazil's Federation made.

The Pan-Am Games were prioritized rather than the preparation competitions in Europe, just because this stupid competition was being held in Rio. The Pan-Am Games are, by far, the less important and less prestigious volleyball competition Brazil's Team played this year. It was a 2-teams competition and even so we failed it.

Instead of letting Fofão and Walwewska rest during the WGP, Zé Roberto should have given them rest during the Pan-Am Games. Jaqueline's dopping was a major stumbling block as well as the relationship problems between Mari, Sheilla and Fabi. But the cause for Brazil's bad performances are the wrong choices made by the coach and Brazil's Federation.

• Netherlands is good (but not great) team.
    Good service and attact - also just few own mistakes per set.
    Poland played not bad but ... beginning and end of each set terrible
    2:7 , 4:9 etc.
    Swieniewicz and Rosner were not good. Both can play much better.
    and reception ...
    maybe next time at ECH :wink2:

• I have a bit different point of view about the qualify last year/this year, but it's ok. It's just my opinion, I still think it was pretty much the same. And I still say, if Brazil had faced the same groups USA did (for ex.) it would have problems to be on the finals. It's not only about easy/hard games, but also about playing good or not.
    Now, it's not about GP or not, but I think they aren't humble... Well, no further discussion, but I'm not sad at all they lost... it's good to see that it's not like they're the best of the world.

And about wrong choices? Well, I totally agree, you said everything :wink2:

One thing I must admit: I'm impressed with China! Honestly, I thought they wouldn't make a good final six, but they beat Russia today 3-0!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

• Quote from "LothiePG"

[
    And about wrong choices? Well, I totally agree, you said everything :wink2:

One thing I must admit: I'm impressed with China! Honestly, I thought they wouldn't make a good final six, but they beat Russia today 3-0!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

oooo, russia made far too many errors, and after gamova just recovered from shoulder injury, she really lost 20% of her power in her spikes

i guess russia made 20+ errors :!: