World Cup 2007

• Time to open this thread huh

Top three finishers will be qualified for the Olympic Games 2008 in Beijing.

The following 12 teams will participate in the World Cup for Women:

1. Japan (host country)
    2. Italy (Europe champion)
    3. Cuba (Norceca champion)
    4. Brazil (South America champion)
    5. Thailand (Asia championship: best after Japan and China)
    6. Kenya (Africa champion)
    7. Serbia (Europe vice-champion)
    8. Peru (South America vice-champion)
    9. Korea (Asia championship: best after Thailand)
    10. U.S.A. (Norceca vice-champion)
    11. Poland (wild card)
    12. Dominican Republic (wild card)

Schedule
    First Round in Tokyo 2nd - 4th November:
    Italy -Thailand
    Dom. Republic - Japan
    Korea -Serbia

Thailand - Serbia
    Japan - Korea
    Italy -Dom. Republic

Dom. Republic - Thailand
    Korea - Italy
    Serbia - Japan

First Round in Hamamatsu 2nd - 4th November:
    Kenya - Cuba
    Brasil - Poland
    Peru - Usa

Cuba -Usa
    Poland - Peru
    Kenya - Brasil

Brasil - Cuba
    Peru - Kenya
    Usa - Poland

2nd Round Nov. 6(Tue) - 7(Wed) Osaka/Sendai
    3rd Round Nov. 9(Fri) - 11(Sun) Sapporo/Kumamoto
    4th Round Nov. 14(Wed) - 16(Fri) Nagoya/Aichi

Please post any news considering teams, rosters etc here! :)

• I can't wait to the begining of World Cup 2007, we have to qualify for the olympics. :)

[color=#009900][color=#ffffff]

"I'm so proud that the fans still sing my name. But I fear tomorrow they will stop. And I fear it because I love it. And everything you love you fear you will lose" - Eric Cantona

• Quote from "AFROMAN"

I can't wait to the begining of World Cup 2007, we have to qualify for the olympics. :)

but i think the female bulgarian team has no chance ;)...
    the male ones for sure but thats the wrong topic

• Quote from "Nastja"

but i think the female bulgarian team has no chance ;)...
    the male ones for sure but thats the wrong topic

This topic is for male, right. And I was talking about men. :D I hope we will go, the only sure way is to beat all the 11 teams and to qualify. :)

[color=#009900][color=#ffffff]

"I'm so proud that the fans still sing my name. But I fear tomorrow they will stop. And I fear it because I love it. And everything you love you fear you will lose" - Eric Cantona

• Hey guys, when we will know wild cards possessors?

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself. (Oscar Wilde).

• Quote from "scarpetta"

Russia surely will be given a wild card.

It's not yet know, everything may happen, don't be so sure.
    Fivb usually makes crazy decisions...

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself. (Oscar Wilde).

• Quote from "Nick"

okay, i know sometimes fivb made crazy decisions, but giving a wild card to russia is the best choice

russia was 06 championship, get into semi final in grand prix and finished third in ec07, so their performance is good enough to be given a wild card

since some teams are not so consistent, brazil again become fav in world cup this year

in the last world cup, brazil lost the first match and unluckily that determined the gold. but with jacqueline and fafao back, brazil is very close this time 8)

• Quote from "Nick"

I agree Nick,

FIVB sometimes sent team from one continent to play in other continental OG qualification !
    Nobody is sure - can you remember wild card to World Grand Champions Cup ? wild card given Korea instead of Russia or Italy !

• C'mon polish fans, it's your holiday today.
    http://www.fivb.org/en/Infomed…B.asp?No=15233&Language=0

Wild cards go to Poland and Dominican Republic :cry2:
    It's interesting whether WC was held without world number one according to the world rankings.
    Russia will miss WC for the second time in a row, in my opinion it's not fair that wild cards were given to these teams for many reasons.

• ehh :shock:
    russia should have gotten the wildcard :?
    i dont know why, but it seems that Acosta doesnt like russia so much

EDIT: anyway, its sad that russia wont participate in that tournament, but im sure russia will qualify to the OGs anyway!

• Quote from "Nastja"

ehh :shock:
    russia should have gotten the wildcard :?
    i dont know why, but it seems that Acosta doesnt like russia so much

While he is president Russia will never get wild card, number one in the world (in present moment), world champion, we succesfully held men's EC, our ligas are second after italian, our TV always show main competitions in last years, bronze medalist of EC, Russia is one of the favourite teams in Asia, people there love russian team, what else... I think these arguments are enough to give Russia wild card but no.... again and again, that's why I told you that fivb makes crazy decisions, sorry, I'm sad :cry2: an mad :evil: .

• Quote from "Nick"

While he is president Russia will never get wild card, number one in the world (in present moment), world champion, we succesfully held men's EC, our ligas are second after italian, our TV always show main competitions in last years, bronze medalist of EC, Russia is one of the favourite teams in Asia, people there love russian team, what else... I think these arguments are enough to give Russia wild card but no.... again and again, that's why I told you that fivb makes crazy decisions, sorry, I'm sad :cry2: an mad :evil: .

I agree one of wild card should be sent to Russia but ... some years ago Russia was excluded from WGP qualification and ... I think Acosta still has no mercy for Russia.
    Nick - I'm quite sure Russia will be in OG (if not after European qualification for sure in last qualification tournament in Japan)
    Dominicana got already some wild cards to different FIVB comp. so I'm not so surprised :?

• Poland is a relatively good choice for FIVB, but Dominican Rep?....... that's ridiculous....... 3rd place in Norceca, 11th in WGP07 and 5th in PanGames 07, sharing the last place in the preliminary group in WCH2006..... and is awarded a wild card above Russia and Nederlands..... unbelievable! :evil:

oh I forgot, Mr. Cristobal Marte, president of the Dominican volleyball federation is also vicepresident of FIVB.....

this is not the first time Dominican Republic is favoured by FIVB..... also got a wild card in 2003, and was included in the last minute in the south american preolimpic 2003 after failing to qualify in the Norceca preolympic tournament, and on and on... the only news about dominicans in World Championships are dopping problems with their players....

and still getting invitations "in the name of developing volleyball in the area" :evil:

• I'm tired of seeing this wild cards are given to Dominican Republic.They are the favourite child of Acosta
    That's a scandalous choise.
    It looks like from the european teams only Italy will qualify for the olympics. So we will again see the likes of Korea ,Dominican instead of strong european teams in the olympics. That is an injustice.

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Polish girls, don't cry already :!: You have a big consolation prize after EC disappointment :P :P :P

• Thanks guys for countenance, but understand me, I'm tired of such injustice toward Russia (not only in vball).
    If he wants to put us down at any possible moment I'd like him to know that his attempts are futile. I really do hope that Russia will prove that they are among the best teams in the world, although they have nothing to prove to anybody,especially to Acosta :evil:

After World championship, I thought our team would have a good season, that they'll win EC and will do the same in WC..... :oops: I know it's a bold statement, but ok, Russia failed this season and won't go to WC.... (I wanted to watch this comp so much) I wanted our girls to show what they can at WC after bad season, but now all my wishes are ruined :cry2:.
    Also Russia won WC only once in far 1973 :roll: (the first one) They had a chance to improve that but no....
    Also we'll lose number 1 rank, I even don't want to count our rank after WC, and rankings will play role in pools' drawing up for OG, the lower your rank the stronger teams will be in your pool (though it's better in OG, remember Athens, Russia had a "death pool" and in semis were three teams of pool B where Russia, China, Cuba, USA played).
    So.... Russia's absence on WC will be negative both to girls and to fans, 'cause agree (even if you're not russian fans) that it's interesting to watch Russia's games....well.... I don't know....
    I'm very, very, VERY sad....
    P.S. Sorry, if smth sounded wrong, i'm in power of emotions.... :cry2:

• Russia should have got the wild card with Poland!!! Russia is 1st in ranking, world champion, silver olympic, bronze european!!! C'mon! As I have said the first 4 Euro teams should have go to WC!!! That's an injustice!!

I hope Russia could win the Euro qualification tournament. I think they could do it!!!