Olympic Games 2008 - Qualification Phase

• Quote from "Russkii"

FOUR Asian teams in the International Qualification? I love FIVB. :roll:

Maybe it is because Asian Fed doesn't organize any Continental Qual. Tournament??
    Still I think it isn't right. I mean, at least 3 Euro teams should go to the Int. Tournament, in my opinion.

• Quote from "Russkii"

FOUR Asian teams in the International Qualification? I love FIVB. :roll:

Well, the reason for this being is that Asia will NOT have preolympic tournament, so they will use the world olympic qualification tournament for this purpose.
    Also the most recent Asian continental championship (last september), determined which countries will be competing in may 2008: Japan, Thailandia, Korea and Kazakhstan.

I'm not sure about the rest of the teams..... it was my understanding that only ONE team per confederation will be going to Japan in May 2008. That would mean: 1 europe, 1 norceca, 1 south america and 1 Africa.

As far as I know, in 2004 there were 2 countries representing Europe in the world pre-olympic tournament because Peru, the runner-up in South america decided not to participate so that place was taken by Europe......

but this is my interpretation...... I may be wrong :roll:

• In 2000 OQT, 3 European teams participated.

Host = Japan
    Europe = Italy, Netherlands, Croatia
    Asia = China, South Korea
    North America = Canada
    South America = Argentina

2 European teams, Japan, 3 Asian teams, 1 American team, 1 African team.

In 2004 the teams were:

Asia = Japan, South Korea, Chinese Taipei, Thailand
    Europe = Russia, Italy
    America = Puerto Rico
    Africa = Nigeria

Four Asian teams???????????!!!!!!!How absurd!!!!Should be four european teams!!!!!!! :x

Even if Asia don't get one continental qualification...is their problem...they can have all tournaments there (World Championship, World Cup, Grand Prix) and can't make a continental qualification??????!!!!! :roll:

• I guess the following teams will qualify:

China - Host Country
    Italy - World Cup 1st place
    Brazil - World Cup 2nd place
    USA - World Cup 3rd place
    Cuba - NORCECA QT
    Peru - SOUTH AMERICA QT
    Russia - EUROPE QT
    Kenya - AFRICA QT
    Japan - ASIA QT
    Serbia - WORLD QT
    Poland - WORLD QT
    Korea - WORLD QT

Then, according to the new FIVB World Ranking, the pools will be divided the following way:

Pool A - China, Cuba, USA, Japan, Poland, Peru

Pool B - Brazil, Italy, Russia, Serbia, Korea, Kenya

If I were to guess the results I'd say:

Pool A - 1st CHina, 2nd USA, 3rd Cuba, 4th Poland
    Pool B - 1st Italy, 2nd Russia, 3rd Brazil, 4th Serbia

Then the quarterfinals would be:

China vs. Serbia
    USA vs. Brazil
    Italy vs. Poland
    Russia vs. Cuba

In my opinion, anything can happen if these were the quarterfinals!

• China vs. Serbia
    USA vs. Brazil
    Italy vs. Poland
    Russia vs. Cuba

Out of all these teams, I think Poland and Serbia would be the easiest to us in the quarterfinals, although of course a lot can change in 9 months...
    I would also say that Cuba, despite their tradition, can be beaten if your prediction comes true. I would like to avoid China and Italy - haha, never thought I would say that.
    But really, 9 months is too long, so this is all BS.

• isnt it a little bit too early to make such predictions? :roll:

• It definitely is... but I don't see how things can be different... I bet the best 8 teams will be pretty much these ones... and this is the nice thing about it... I'm giving my opinion already and I'm sure little will change from this prediction... I would even be able to bet!

It's very easy to predict which will be the quarterfinals in the last match of the preliminary round! That's why I'm doing it right now... when the OG start people won't be able to say it was a lucky guess!

• This is just bit too early, we don't even know the whole situation for the European teams, since they are now so close in terms of power
    and 4 Asian teams....I thought only 3 would participate

• may turkey make a surprise.but nesli is pregnant.unfortunately...

• And what is with Hanikoglu :?: Is she still pregnant :?:

yes she still pregnant.but she can play grand prix in this summer.ı hope

• Half of the teams that will play the OG are already known:

China - host country

Italy - World Cup Champion

Brazil - World Cup 1st Runner-up

USA - World Cup 2nd Runner-up

Cuba - NORCECA Qualification Tournament Champion

Venezuela - SOUTH AMERICA Qualification Tournament Champion

There are still 6 spots undefined: ASIA QT Champion, EUROPE QT Champion, AFRICA QT Champion and the other 3 spots that will be decided in the WORLD QT.

The only surprise so far is Venezuela's presence and the abscence of Peru.

• Now we can add also Russia to this list (though it was tighter at the Euro Quali than expected :D )

• It's too bad we can't add Poland, but I believe they really will do great in Japan and still go to the Olympic games!! And win a gold medal :D :D

• As the Asian/World Qualification Tournament will be played between Japan, Thailand, Korea, Khazakstan, Poland, Serbia, Peru (or Kenya) and the Dominican Republic, I think Japan's, Korean's, Serbian's and Polish's qualification to the OG is just a matter of time.

So, the probable, OG pools will be:

Pool A - China (host country), Cuba (3rd ranked team), USA (4th ranked team), Japan (8th ranked team), Poland (9th ranked team) and Venezuela (29th ranked team)

Pool B - Brazil (1st ranked team), Italy (2nd ranked team), Russia (5th ranked team), Serbia (7th ranked team), Korea (11th ranked team) and Kenya (12th ranked team)

If Kenya doesn't qualify to the OG the other African team and Venezuela will swith places in pools A and B.

So, the 8 quarterfinalists will be: China, Cuba, USA, Poland, Brazil, Italy, Russia and Serbia. I think no one doubts of that! If all teams have their full strength and main players, it will impossisble to make any further prediction. This will be, by far, the most balanced OG competition of history. I think China has a great deal of advantage playing before its fans.

• Thanks for drawing the likely Olympic groups. LOL! It's funny, because I was thinking couple days ago what would be my "dream quarterfinals", and assuming these will be the groups, it can happen!

Rus vs Pol

Cub vs Bra

Italy vs China

Ser vs USA

Now if this turn out to be true, it will be an amazing coincidence, and I will be very pleased.