World Grand Prix 2009

• I'm sick and tired of seeing this tournament being held in Asia forever. It would be nice if FIVB changed the WGP's formula. If there's not enough time for a 6-week preliminary round, my suggestion for the 3-week preliminary round is dividing the 12 participating teams in 4 pools, which woud have the same teams for all the 3 weeks. Each week, the 4 teams from each pool would face each other in a round-robin tournament, which would be held in a different country. These countries would be chosen based on the FIVB ranking. The top three teams from each pool would have the right of hosting a leg of the preliminary round before its fans.

For me, this new formula would be much better than the current one. Anyway, I have no hopes of seeing this happening.

WGP and WL are both promoted by money....the host cities shoulnt be chosen as FIVB ranking, on the contrary, the financial support and marketing potential are of most importance. thats why WL compitition committee requires many restriction to the candidate countries.

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• WGP and WL are both promoted by money....the host cities shoulnt be chosen as FIVB ranking, on the contrary, the financial support and marketing potential are of most importance. thats why WL compitition committee requires many restriction to the candidate countries.

The funny part is that when you see international championships (like WCH, WL, WGP), you look at the crowd and what do you see?? Excepting some games, the asian public is small (specially in Japan)... in other part of the world (America, Europe) the games would probably receive more public than it...
    So if FIVB receives money from publishizing, it only means to me that they don't want to promote the sport and fill pockets... they only want the money in the pocket part 8|

• FIVB today news :

There will be 12 participating teams in 2009 and the World Grand Prix is scheduled for a four-week period in July and August. The Preliminary Rounds are set for July 31 to August 16, including a stop in Brazil, and the Final Round from July 19-23 in Tokyo, Japan. The final schedule will be decided after the qualification of all teams by the beginning of October 2008. The European qualifier is in September and the Asian qualifier in October.

National Teams already qualified for next year are Brazil from CSV, USA, Dominican Republic and, for the first time in history, Puerto Rico from NORCECA, Poland from Europe and Japan and China from Asia. Three more places for Europe and two more for Asia are to be decided. Teams will be informed in future that they are obliged to participate with their best teams in order to maintain the high standard of the event. The Council is considering following the decision taken during the FIVB World League Council Meeting to eliminate countries with the lowest number of spectators at home matches.

• FIVB today news :
    and the Final Round from July 19-23 in Tokyo, Japan.

wooaw.what a surprise :what: :lol: Guys be ready to wake up early in the morning or in the middle of the night to watch Grand Prix games.

• Russia will host the Qualification to the 2009 FIVB World Grand Prix. The event will be staged in Omsk next September 16-21.

According to Russian website,there are 6 teams will participate the qualification,including Italy,Russia,Serbia,Gemany & Netherland,and Denmark will replace Belgium to join this qualification game.

Lloyd + Naz + Wołosz + Hanke + Smutná + Mori
    Bokan + Zakrievskaja + Bricio + Vilponen + Jupïter + A.Lazić + Stepanova + Marković
    Onyejekwe + N.Dimitrova + Crkoňová + de Kruijf + Truškina + Thibeault + Omelčenko + Schauss
    Rourke + Bošković + Fabris + Kajalina + Collar + Simić + Miklai + Vasilantonaki
    Courtois + Venegas + Gaído + Castillo + Gómez + Kiselyova

• DENMARK??? Are you joking??

I wish I was joking, but a Russian fans told me this at our forum,.

Lloyd + Naz + Wołosz + Hanke + Smutná + Mori
    Bokan + Zakrievskaja + Bricio + Vilponen + Jupïter + A.Lazić + Stepanova + Marković
    Onyejekwe + N.Dimitrova + Crkoňová + de Kruijf + Truškina + Thibeault + Omelčenko + Schauss
    Rourke + Bošković + Fabris + Kajalina + Collar + Simić + Miklai + Vasilantonaki
    Courtois + Venegas + Gaído + Castillo + Gómez + Kiselyova

• I hope the US could stage even a weekend leg. California will be a very great venue as it is the hub of Volleyball in the US.

"[size=8]It's years and years of work and sacrifice and dedication. Along with a lot of these girls, we've sweat and we've bled and we've cried together in past Olympics. It just brought tears to my eyes, & I'm more than thrilled. This will be forever." -LOGAN MAILE LEI TOM (Silver Medallist - 2008 Beijing & 2012 London Olympic Games, 2011 World Cup runner up, 2003 & 2007 World Cup 3rd place, 2002 World Champs runner up, 4-time World GrandPrix Champs)

• so turkey can t play in qualifications matches?

• DENMARK??? Are you joking??

Nice news. Now I know that Denmark play volleyball :D But seriously: it will be good for Denmark to improve their level (FIVB wants to make volleyball popular in many countries in the world). The question is: do they want it :?: It migth be bigger problem than favour for this team.

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• wooaw.what a surprise :what: :lol: Guys be ready to wake up early in the morning or in the middle of the night to watch Grand Prix games.

:mad: No comment.

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• 2009 FIVB World Grand Prix European Qualification Omsk (RUS) 16-21/09/2008
    Teams:
    Germany
    Italy
    Netherland
    Russia
    Serbia
    France
    http://www.cev.lu/mmp/online/w…63/179/6815/index_EN.html

• This tournament will be in the middle of the Olympic hangover. I'm afraid that not even a single team will feel motivated to play such tournament. On the other hand, this tournament might be the opportunity of a nice restart in 2009.

• Brazil's Federation president officially announced that one leg of the 2009 World Grand Prix will be played in Brazil.
    It would be nice if this leg were played in São Paulo, but it is more likely that it will be played in Rio de Janeiro. I hope Brazil's team could host a leg of the WGP every year from now on. Maybe even the final round of this tournament. That would be awesome!

• 2009 Russian team will probably be a level C team. I just hope we can win the OG, because we will have some hard years ahead of us...

Come on Ruskii, Russia is a volleyball super power. They will never be a level C team.

If I'm not mistaken Russia is the country in the world with the biggest amount of people practising volleyball. I'm pretty sure that the Russian Stars will be replaced by very good players. It won't be hard to find other tall and talented players in Russia... these new girls will need some international experience, of course, but that won't be a big deal, especially for an European Team.

Just for the sake of curiosity, the u-18 Russia Women's team finished 2nd in the World Championship. Thes girls will have their opportunity as soon as the Russian Stars start to retire.

• Brazil's Federation president officially announced that one leg of the 2009 World Grand Prix will be played in Brazil.
    It would be nice if this leg were played in São Paulo, but it is more likely that it will be played in Rio de Janeiro. I hope Brazil's team could host a leg of the WGP every year from now on. Maybe even the final round of this tournament. That would be awesome!

It would be really awesome. Poland or Brazil would be excellent because the fans are making this event so wonderul. not like its now, always this boring matches with no fire from the audience, maybe thats why some teams suck in the final rounds, just because they fall asleep. Brazil wins because they have an automatic samba in their heads :D

But fivb makes progress at least. Finally a leg in Brazil. Maybe it will take some more years and the final round will be there as well :D

• I also think it'll be in Rio -- in fact after they basically rebuilt Maracanãzinho, they have to put all the tournaments in there to make the price worth :lol: :lol: :lol: Anyway, it's much better than Ibirapuera (São Paulo) or Mineirinho (Belo Horizonte).

Well, I hope at least that good teams take part in this pool, otherwise it'll be just boring :thumbdown: A pool with USA, Poland and Italy would be a dream... if they want to take Brazil off and put Russia or Serbia or Netherlands it would be even better :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (otherwise I'll have to wait until the EC to see them playing :P )