2010 Piemonte Womens Cup

• It seems ned is afraid of japan. i never expected the same disaster would happen again after what happened at the final round of the GP last year.

Laura is weak, but she is still young. She has shown little improvement in each game. after all, she has only played about 10 matches for the NT at this high level. she will grow gradually, I believe.

Ned needs to work on attacks and defence as well.

• Netherlands 0 - 3 Japan

(22-25, 21-25, 22-25)

Netherlands: Huurman 6, Staelens 12, De Kruijf 2, Grothues 2, Steenbergen dnp, Blom 1, Schoot dnp, Van Tienen (L), Wensik 11, Flier 11, Dijkema 1, Stam 7, Koolhaas, Blansjaar. Coach: Selinger.

Japan: Matsuura dnp, Takeshita 2, Inoue 12, Yamamoto 11, Sano (L), Yamaguchi 5, Yoshizawa dnp, Ishida, Araki, Kimura 17, Ebata, Sakoda 12, Ino, Hamaguchi (L). Coach: Manabe.

Referee: Cardaci, Genna.

"Lo sbaglio più grande e quello di credere di aver vinto prima ancora di giocare la partita"

• I don't know much about Holland's league. But without staelens the look really bad. I think that the main problem they don't have too many good players on the bench... Lets think for a moment how will their game would lool like without Flier.... :S

Is Visser going to play this year?

And who is the second OPP?

• Italy plays with a little bit of a B-team but they destroyed Domincans in the first set

I thought DOM will play better especially loooking at htier results this year in tournaments held in America

• Where is the rest of the Italian team? We will get to see them play before the actual grand prix? There really is noone here who is part of the starting 6, except the two opposite players. Ortolani is very inconsistent, i think Italy need ot really think about developing good oposite players for the next olympic cycle - they have had really good ones, and after Aguero, tough shoes to fill in!

Who was the opposite who filled in for Aguerro at the olympics before she returned? She is really good,, why hasnt she played since then?

• Where is the rest of the Italian team? We will get to see them play before the actual grand prix? There really is noone here who is part of the starting 6, except the two opposite players. Ortolani is very inconsistent, i think Italy need ot really think about developing good oposite players for the next olympic cycle - they have had really good ones, and after Aguero, tough shoes to fill in!

Who was the opposite who filled in for Aguerro at the olympics before she returned? She is really good,, why hasnt she played since then?

It was Ortolani and Centoni. and as far as I know, Aguero retired from the national team since european championship 2009.

• It was Ortolani and Centoni. and as far as I know, Aguero retired from the national team since european championship 2009.

Thanks, yeah Nadia Centoni - what happened to her? Its a shame she is not here. She also played great during the CEV championship. Its a pity Aguero retired. I think she revived Italian women's volleyball in 2007 when Italy went through unbeaten mostly because of her and Gioli (ofcourse the others are really good too). The girls seemd to have a fire when she came on.

• I don't know much about Holland's league. But without staelens the look really bad. I think that the main problem they don't have too many good players on the bench... Lets think for a moment how will their game would lool like without Flier.... :S

Is Visser going to play this year?

And who is the second OPP?

Koolhaas is the second OPP at this tournament as well as at the Yeltsin Cup. She played as MB for her club but I think Avital Selinger has assigned a new position to her in the NT.

I think Visser will come back for the World Championships.

The level of the dutch league isn't high, but I think the players, at least some of them, certainly have potentials. They have the height and physique. Skills can be worked on and improved through matches. another thing is the young players weren't given much chances to play in the past. Compared with other NTs, Ned never or seldom played with a B-team on court in friendly matches in the past. Flier didn't really have a substitute in the past two years till this year at the Yeltsin cup. There we saw Koolhaas who substituted her.

How I wish Myrthe Schoot had more chances to play in the previous tournaments this year.

• Jup, I totally agree with you. I don't get barbollini's decision sometimes, like he didn't call Centoni and Ferretti this year even though they weren't injuried at all. He said he might try Gioli as an opposite attacker, but since Ortolani is unstable, italy obviously will need a strong opposite attacker like Centoni. also, Ferretti played really well in the previous seasons in Pesaro and she won the championship even twice. but she hadn't been called by him since WGP 2009 Qualification in 2008 in Omsk,Russia. (speaking of Ferretti, Barbollini seems to prefer Rondon than Ferretti and the others, since she's a tall setter.) :down:

• laura dijkema's behind seems to be exactly the same as Manon Flier(you know, the long light blonde hair and stuff...)

I'm glad you added the second part because otherwise it would sound like you're talking about her bum :rolll:

• I'm glad you added the second part because otherwise it would sound like you're talking about her bum :rolll:

:rolll: :rolll: :rolll: :rolll: :rolll:
    hehe, no way
    fortunately I was not talking about her bum or anything ridiculous at all :lol:

• Jup, I totally agree with you. I don't get barbollini's decision sometimes, like he didn't call Centoni and Ferretti this year even though they weren't injuried at all. He said he might try Gioli as an opposite attacker, but since Ortolani is unstable, italy obviously will need a strong opposite attacker like Centoni. also, Ferretti played really well in the previous seasons in Pesaro and she won the championship even twice. but she hadn't been called by him since WGP 2009 Qualification in 2008 in Omsk,Russia. (speaking of Ferretti, Barbollini seems to prefer Rondon than Ferretti and the others, since she's a tall setter.) :down:

Ferretti and Barbolini dont get along, that is why she is not in NT. After the Olympic Games they didnt understand with each other, and now Ferretti is away. but I dont know with Centoni, maybe he is just thinking in the future, Centoni is older player then Ortolani.

• Well, I saw the game and I'm a little bit worried..We need to improve a lot for WGP!! Especially in defence and reception!

The questions about substitutes: Selinger started after the non-qualification for Beijing with developing young players. They train every day in the city of Almere, which is the home of Women's NT. The development goes well in my opinion, but it takes many years to bring young girls (18-22 years) to international level!
    Notice Netherlands won WGP 2007 with almost no alternatives on bench !!! (only Blom and Huurman).

There is now a large group of players with good perspectives (De Kruijf, Buijs, Dijkema, Grothues, Meijners, Koolhaas, Schoot and maybe some more) but they are still (very) young and still very unexperienced. They need time to adapt to international level!

Normally Floortje Meijners would be back-up for Flier, but she graduates this summer her study, so she is not there.

About Laura Dijkema: season 2008-2009 she played on second (!) national level. 2009-2010 was her first season in TVC Amstelveen and from the moment Kim Staelens pronounced her pregnancy, in february 2010, she became all of a sudden the first setter of NT! She isn't by far on international level yet, but she develops well!, Please give her time to grow!

• About Laura Dijkema: season 2008-2009 she played on second (!) national level. 2009-2010 was her first season in TVC Amstelveen and from the moment Kim Staelens pronounced her pregnancy, in february 2010, she became all of a sudden the first setter of NT! She isn't by far on international level yet, but she develops well!, Please give her time to grow!

I support your speach in all ways possible! :thumbup:

• Ferretti and Barbolini dont get along, that is why she is not in NT. After the Olympic Games they didnt understand with each other, and now Ferretti is away. but I dont know with Centoni, maybe he is just thinking in the future, Centoni is older player then Ortolani.

If he really is thinking about the future, there must have been something else we actually did not expect ever. Ortolani did a great job today against Dominican Republic, and I do think she's a powerful spiker like Centoni or Elisa Togut. but since Aguero has retired from the national team, Centoni obviously will be needed when Ortolani gets unstable. and I don't think Barbollini cares a player's age too much.
    and yeah, you're right, that's a big pity that Ferretti doesn't get along with Barbollini... ;( although I know even if she was called to the national team, she would barely play on the court since lo bianco who is one of the best setters in the world exists :rose: ) Thanks for your answer by the way ^^

• Did Sellinger think about that, someday Staelens could be injured or pregnant? Did he make anything to hit on any alternative for Kim? I can see that not, but I'm not Dutch and I don't know thing are going in Dutch NT and as a lookaut I can say that Sellinger didn't make anything and it's bad augur for Dutch NT. Otherwise, in my opinion, lot of girls are out of shape, but... I hope everything will go right way.

• Did Sellinger think about that, someday Staelens could be injured or pregnant? Did he make anything to hit on any alternative for Kim? I can see that not, but I'm not Dutch and I don't know thing are going in Dutch NT and as a lookaut I can say that Sellinger didn't make anything and it's bad augur for Dutch NT. Otherwise, in my opinion, lot of girls are out of shape, but... I hope everything will go right way.

I think you are right in a certain way - Selinger didn't give young setters a real chance -, but maybe there were simply no real talented young setters during a few years...I'm not sure. At the moment luckily there are a few ( Dijkema, Blansjaar, Stoltenborg).

• I think you are right in a certain way - Selinger didn't give young setters a real chance -, but maybe there were simply no real talented young setters during a few years...I'm not sure. At the moment luckily there are a few ( Dijkema, Blansjaar, Stoltenborg).

You can't say smth like that. As a NT couch he should (had to!) think about any substitute for Kim, and it is his work and he is taking many for that. Even find less talented girl (although year or two ago), train with her and show what she should do if they could have any problems.