Olympic Games - London 2012 Women (qualification process)

• http://www.fivb.org/viewPressR….asp?No=23722&Language=en

Teams already qualified :
    host -- Great Britain
    world cup (host Japan 04-18.Nov.2011) -- Italy
    world cup (host Japan 04-18.Nov.2011) -- USA
    world cup (host Japan 04-18.Nov.2011) -- China
    continental tournament Africa (host Algeria 1-4.February.2012) -- Algeria
    continental tournament Europe (host Turkey 1-6.May.2012) -- Turkey
    continental tournament Norceca (host Mexico 27.April - 6.May.2012) -- Dominican Republic
    continental tournament South America (host Brazil 8-14.May.2012) -- Brazil
    continental tournament Asia (host Japan 19-27.May.2012) -- Japan
    world tournament (host Japan 19-27.May.2012) -- Russia
    world tournament (host Japan 19-27.May.2012) -- Korea
    world tournament (host Japan 19-27.May.2012) -- Serbia

http://www.fivb.org/en/olympic…lification_process_VB.asp

• The qualification process for the 24 teams (12 for men and 12 for women) will consist of the following:
    1 host country (Great Britain)
    3 from the 2011 World Cup (first, second and third)
    1 from each Continental Qualification Tournament* (played between December 15, 2011-January 15, 2012)
    3 from the World Olympic Qualification Tournaments

The World Olympic Qualification Tournaments consist of three tournaments for men and one for women to be held between May 15-31, 2012.

The opening qualifying event for the 2012 Olympic Games will be the 2011 World Cup in Japan which will run from November 4-18 for women and November 20-December 4 for men. A total of 12 teams per gender (hosts Japan, 2011 Continental champions, four 2011 Continental vice-champions placed highest on the FIVB World Rankings and two wildcards) will compete for the three vacancies on offer in each tournament.

* The Asian Continental Qualification Tournament could be played together with the World Olympic Qualification Tournament in Japan.

"Lo sbaglio più grande e quello di credere di aver vinto prima ancora di giocare la partita"

• Anyone knows if its true that GReat Britain is thinking about resigning their spot in Olympic games as host?

I read in volleyball.it that that can happen in women and men's volleyball, and that FIVB is waitting for their decision, cause if they do there is one morespot to be fight by other countries.

• If it is true, it will be better ^^ but I think that instead of Great Britain will be one more Team from Asia ;) because of the World Olympic Qualification.

• Interesting. I don't see anything on any of the GB websites and I couldn't find the communication that volleyball.it is referring to. But the way that article (at least the English version of it) was worded suggested that they had a source other than the communication they mentioned... hmmm.

Just yesterday, British Volleyball President Richard Callicott gave an interview (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/volleyball/9427848.stm) with BBC sport about beach volleyball but said nothing about the indoor teams, so the timing seems strange indeed.

It's been chattered about this for a while, not surprisingly given given the financial difficulties of the team (and the players personally), complete lack of backing from UK Sport, lack of popularity of the sport in Britain and the level of the team compared to the others in the competition.

I personally would like to see the GB women get their chance. But not at the expense of other countries that genuinely deserve to be there on merit. We will see.

Edit: Tidied up the link

• If it is true, it will be better ^^ but I think that instead of Great Britain will be one more Team from Asia ;) because of the World Olympic Qualification.

I think it should be the top 16 team that is geographically closest to Great Britain :lol:

• Anyone knows if its true that GReat Britain is thinking about resigning their spot in Olympic games as host?

I read in volleyball.it that that can happen in women and men's volleyball, and that FIVB is waitting for their decision, cause if they do there is one morespot to be fight by other countries.

I don't think it's true. Last week I read in Polish newspaper an interesting article about British preparations to the volleyball male tournament. GB male team is not that weak. They are able to win some matches, especially against teams from Africa, Asia, Oceania, maybe some European. I don't see reason for them to resign.

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• I don't see any point in declining such invitation. Being able to play the OG Volleyball Tournament will help them to become more competitive in the years to come and this resigning may be regarded as though they don't give a damn to the development of volleyball in the UK.

If this is the case, at least it will be nice to try to go to London to watch the volleyball tournament, cause it seems there will be lots of tickets available.

• Istanbul/Turkey will host to 2012 OG European Qualification Tournament :woohoo: :dance6:

2010/2011 Eczacıbaşı VitrA - Turkish Cup Winner :cup:
    2011/2012 Eczacıbaşı VitrA - Super Cup Winner :cup:

• The FIVB and the CEV love when Countrys organize the youth and the junior Tournaments. Turkey has got the points in FIVB's and CEV's Eyes so...

Turkey has caught FIVB's and CEV's influences :)

• Croatia will host one continental tournament for women and one for men.