Olympic Games - London 2012 Women (qualification process)

• Any news about Starseva injury? What happened to her?

She got hit in the eye with a ball (23.05.12 sport-express.ru).

Prediction Game :
    5th place - Olympic Games 2012
    Bronze - World Grand Prix 2012
    Gold - Liga Femenina de Baloncesto de España 2011-2012 (as "LV")
    Silver - EuroBasket Women 2011 (as "LAT")
    Gold - FIBA EuroLeague Women 2011 (as "LAT")

• That

I haven't read anything official but from the photo on FIVB site it looks like maybe she got a ball in her face but that's just a guess. On Volleyrussia site was written that they talked to her and everything on her body is OK, so maybe it was just precaution that she did not return to the game today.

That's what happened.
    Ginna Lopez, peruvian junior player, hit the ball and Startseva wasn't in a good position, so she got a ball in her face. A peruvian journalist from Japan was narrating the match.

I hope Korea got the ticket to London. I wan to see Kim Yeon-Koung performance.

• I haven't read anything official but from the photo on FIVB site it looks like maybe she got a ball in her face but that's just a guess. On Volleyrussia site was written that they talked to her and everything on her body is OK, so maybe it was just precaution that she did not return to the game today.

good to hear. :)

• When Cuba played in Pan American Games last year, they played with the same team except one player, Kenia Carcaces. They crushed Dominican Republic, USAs young team with Klineman, Lloyd, Gibbemeyer, Barboza etc, and first of all, almost beat Brazil best team in the final, but lost 2x3 in a thriller. Now, they lose 1x3 to Dominican Republic and dont even take a set from Korea, Serbia and Russia! I wonder if any player, maybe with exception for Kim, has the same importance for a whole team than Carcaces for Cuba. Its almost scary how they can suffer so much only without her.

I remember the final between Cuba and Brazil in Pan American last year, when Carcaces was fighting almost alone against Brazils block with Thaisa and Fabiana etc, they was already there ready to block her, but anyway, she just always found a way to score anyway. In the 4.set it was like 17x13 for Cuba, when Carcaces took the ball to serve, and suddendly they took like 5-6p in a row much because of her monsterserves that Brazil couldnt handle, and Cuba won the set easily.

• really interesting the situation in the tournament right now!! :) I think and hope that Korea manages to arrive in London, I want to see Kim in action also there...

• Surgery was needed for Tanya Kosheleva, and it was made today in Stuttgart. Not that serious injury though. Expekted recovery time some weeks before going back in normal training. She has a injury in both back and knee that is related to each other, the surgery was made in meniscus.

• Take a look at Best spiker rank so far in WQT:

1. Rosanna Giel (CUB) - 60,34%
    2. Yeon-Koung Kim (COR) - 55,21%
    3. Ekaterina Gamova (RUS) - 50,51%

Giel with 46p in four matches and 60% in attack, and she is only 19 yrs. old :obey: Maybe the Cubans found the new Nancy Carrilo?

• Really nice article about Elena Keldibelkova on FIVB.org. She really embodies what it means to take pride in representing your national team.

http://www.fivb.org/EN/volleyb…asp?No=34790&Language=en#

Tokyo, Japan, May 24, 2012 – Eighteen years ago Elena Keldibekova arrived in Peru from her native Kazakhstan to play one season for Club Regatas and to this day she is a happy Peruvian citizen and one of the most admired athletes in a country where women’s volleyball is followed with passion.

In her last tour with her adoptive national team, Keldibekova, who turns 38 next month, is playing a dual role as the regular setter and also unofficial advisor to the new generation of players she almost doubles in age.

Elena, named the best setter of the Pan American Cup the last two years and also in the 2011 Montreux Volley Masters, once again was asked to represent the national colors for the FIVB World Olympic Qualifying Tournament currently taking place in Tokyo, Japan.

And as it has been the case since 2000 when she represented Peru at the Sydney Olympic Games, Elena had a positive response to the request.

“I talked to the National Federation about including her on our team after she finished her season with Time Volley Matera in Italy,” Coach Luca Cristofani says. “She is in excellent shape and brings experience and stabilization to a team with many young players.”

“She can lead by her example and she can help them to grow as we embark in the process of a new Olympic cycle and hopefully to be among the top eight teams in four years,” the Italian Cristofani added.

While Elena is in a farewell tour that might include the Pan American Cup in early July, she is not ready to call it quits and is planning to play “two or three more years maybe in Italy or perhaps Germany.”

“I am very happy to be able to help the young players to improve the technical part of their game and they also need to learn many things about the tactics,” Keldibekova said after one of Peru’s matches at the Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium.

The native of Almaty who has played in the professional leagues of Germany, Azerbaijan and Italy says it has not been easy for the team to make adjustments from the former Asian style of play to the current more inclined to European way under Cristofani.

“I talk to (Alexandra) Muñoz, the young setter, about the mental part of the game and how to cope with different situations,” Keldibekova commented. “It is a long process for a setter but this new generation of players has good talent only that needs to be polished.”

Elena, who speaks in a perfect Spanish and also is fluent in German and Russian, is married to Johnny Westreicher, a former Peruvian player of German ancestry who used to coach the female team of Regatas when she first arrived in Lima and they have a son, Jan, who is an accomplished overall athlete.

“I became in love with Peru, the people, the atmosphere, the weather and of course with Johnny the instant I planted my foot there,” Keldibekova admits. “My parents, my grand-parents and one sister still live in Kazakhstan and last time I visited with them was two years ago.”

• Take a look at Best spiker rank so far in WQT:

1. Rosanna Giel (CUB) - 60,34%
    2. Yeon-Koung Kim (COR) - 55,21%
    3. Ekaterina Gamova (RUS) - 50,51%

Giel with 46p in four matches and 60% in attack, and she is only 19 yrs. old :obey: Maybe the Cubans found the new Nancy Carrilo?

http://vk.com/id119276345#/id169687680

Hi,are you play this?I meet many Russia players here
    http://vk.com/id142064861
    http://vk.com/id41907902
    http://vk.com/id2727216
    http://vk.com/id60562194
    http://vk.com/id1091878

• Thank you for post this.
    I can't imagine Peru NT without her, she has improved a lot since the first time I saw her. She was in the roster of Peru NT at Sydney 2000, but she didn't play.
    In 2008 we had our oportunity to be in Olympic Games again, but the coach at that time didn't like her style and she missed the CQT and we lost against Venezuela. Now, we know there's no more chances for Peru in WOQT, no more chances to be in Olympic Games this year, but I'm glad she still playing and defending our nation, our flag, our people. She fell in love with Peru, and Peru loves her.

"La patadita de Dios"

:rose:

• Good on korea! Kim yeon koung was celestial! Hands down to her! Maybe a little improvement on her serves would be good?
    That must have been so unnerving for japan--even takeshita made mistakes towards the end. And her face did look like she was ready to strangle someone.
    I hope russia, korea, thailand and japan make it ^_^