2012 Olympic Games

• Beijing Quarterfinal draw resulted in 2A vs 2B and 3A vs 3B

DOL at quarter final match-ups will be open to any possibilities, right? I mean, is it possible the two match-ups like (2A-3A) and (2B-3B)?

Thanks in advance.

• It is my dream... I wish I can but I will be with my scout group in a camp and I will be (maybe) without mobile phone [but it I take it with me in the mountains it doesn't work] and without internet (for sure) and also without television. I can't watch matches... I hope someone will post the video on youtube (especially ITA and USA matches... and also the final that will be ITA-USA :whistling:

I think it will be soooo difficult for you, can't watch matches , no? :lol: good luck, I'll have a thought for you when I will be there :whistle:

• What is logic of making dol for only second and third position? Who can claim that difference between second and third is less than the one between first and second ?(

• DOL at quarter final match-ups will be open to any possibilities, right? I mean, is it possible the two match-ups like (2A-3A) and (2B-3B)?

Thanks in advance.

Don't know yet for London because FIVB has not yet officially announced anything.

But for Beijing DOL, no, it was not possible that quarterfinals will be between teams from the same Pool. As far as I remember, the drawing of lots for Beijing QF was always like this:
    A1-B4
    A? - B?
    A? - B?
    A4-B1

I would not be surprised if they do this again for London, since FIVB generally wants to avoid having teams coming from the same Pool to play each other in cross-overs.

• What is logic of making dol for only second and third position?

I think rewarding the pool winners with favorable weaker opponents (bottom advancers from other pools) is a generally accepted practice. So in that sense, matchups between places 1 and 4 were maintained.

• I think rewarding the pool winners with favorable weaker opponents (bottom advancers from other pools) is a generally accepted practice. So in that sense, matchups between places 1 and 4 were maintained.

Of course rewarding the more successful team makes sense, but in that logic, you should favor second ranked team as well :whistle:

• Of course rewarding the more successful team makes sense, but in that logic, you should favor second ranked team as well :whistle:

Ah. When I read your question, I thought you were asking "Why the DOL for 2nd and 3rd only (and not 1st and 4th also)?"

For Beijing, FIVB explained that the DOL for 2nd and 3rd was a 'necessary measure to ensure teams play fair and avoid losing a match on purpose like what happened in Athens Olympic Games'. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with this measure. But it is FIVB's position.

• It is always going to be the following
    A1-B4
    A2-B3
    A3-B2
    A4-B1

It will not change because they can only put 16 days (8 mens, 8 womens) on in 17 days, 5 pool play, 3 knock-out

If they went to 16 teams (4 groups of 4), then only the top 2 from each group advance, then it would look different.

• Ah. When I read your question, I thought you were asking "Why the DOL for 2nd and 3rd only (and not 1st and 4th also)?"

For Beijing, FIVB explained that the DOL for 2nd and 3rd was a 'necessary measure to ensure teams play fair and avoid losing a match on purpose like what happened in Athens Olympic Games'. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with this measure. But it is FIVB's position.

Thanks for clarification, it might makes sense in this extent but if the DOL will not be in front of media as CEV always does in CL play off. It really doesn't matter :down:

• Thanks for clarification, it might makes sense in this extent but if the DOL will not be in front of media as CEV always does in CL play off. It really doesn't matter :down:

I don't think the DOL is televised but the DOL for Quarterfinals in Beijing was open to the audience. The audience being the representatives of different teams as they are required to attend the DOL and witness the draw.

• sportbox.ru released the match schedule for Russia: Italy (jul 28 ), Japan (30), United Kingdom (Aug 1st), Dominican Rep.(03), Algeria (05). Quater, semi-finals and final matches will be on august 7,9 and 11 respectively

• After following an unfortunate miscarriage last wednesday, dominican libero Brenda Castillo has confirmed that she will be back with her team for the Olympic games:
    google translation from the original news in spanish:

Brenda will return to London 2012
    The release of the national team, Brenda Castillo, said he will return to court within 15 days, but first start physical work before standardized with the women's team. Castillo noted yesterday that the party in the United States defeated the Republic Dominican to win the opening Grand Prix women's volleyball, played from 8-10 at the National Palace of Volleyball. "I'll be back within 15 days if God permits me," Castillo said. "First is the physical preparation is the main thing, the other is a gift God has given me, He has given me." The player said he focuses on the 2012 London Olympics where the team is ranked femenio. "I will not play Grand Prix, my goal is to London, I hope to get ready for London," he said.

http://www.elcaribe.com.do/201…e-dejo-puntos-por-mejorar

• Does anyone know if there is a standard format for the order that the pool games are played in? I heard A1vA2, B1vB2, A3vA4 on the first day and so on, mentioned… Sounds consistent with the sportbox report re the Russian team, but what about previous tournaments?

• Does anyone know if there is a standard format for the order that the pool games are played in? I heard A1vA2, B1vB2, A3vA4 on the first day and so on, mentioned… Sounds consistent with the sportbox report re the Russian team, but what about previous tournaments?

Four years ago there was a drawing of lots where each team was drawn to a start number and according to that numbers the schedule was made.

• Four years ago there was a drawing of lots where each team was drawn to a start number and according to that numbers the schedule was made.

Thanks :thumbsup: British team said that we'd know this week or next, so I guess that dol was what they were referring to

I want to know the same. Planning to see my favourite Japan NT play at the Olympic.

• I can't wait....

It's possible, you just have to believe in yourself and really not care what other people say, because I've heard it all.
    If you let someone else dictate what you're going to do in life, then you won't get there.

Non so neanche come onestamente: in due mesi ero di nuovo in campo.