2013 World Grand Champions Cup for Women

• The women's event will be hosted by Japan.
    It is a 6-team round-robin tournament

November 12-13 at Nagoya's Nihon Gaishi Hall
    November 15-17 at Tokyo's City Gymnasium

• Curious who will get Wild Card. Hope Team from Europe not as last time South Korea.

• I wonder if the participants will be Brazil, Russia, China, Japan, USA and wild card. Flavours of the past, since those are the historical teams of women volleyball + Cuba. So in this case FIVB would give Cuba the wild card to make it a more retro competition. :D We never know with FIVB

• I wonder if the participants will be Brazil, Russia, China, Japan, USA and wild card. Flavours of the past, since those are the historical teams of women volleyball + Cuba. So in this case FIVB would give Cuba the wild card to make it a more retro competition. :D We never know with FIVB

for WGCC, the wc always goes to a team that the host can easily beat....
    so your guesswork could come true, lets see..

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• FIVB gives World Grand Champions Cup Wild Card to Country where volleyball should be more promoted so Belgium after success is the best Candidate and Japan will beat Them also.

• I don't understand why African champions can not participate in this tournament. Its name is Grand Champions Cup. But in every edition we're seeing South Korea as a team given "wild card" !!! I think Japan+ 5 continental champion is more suitable and fairer. :teach:

• I don't understand why African champions can not participate in this tournament. Its name is Grand Champions Cup. But in every edition we're seeing South Korea as a team given "wild card" !!! I think Japan+ 5 continental champion is more suitable and fairer. :teach:

Maybe yes, but this team would be like Algeria in WGP, every match 0-3 and difficulties with achieving 15 sets in single set :whistle:

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• Maybe yes, but this team would be like Algeria in WGP, every match 0-3 and difficulties with achieving 15 sets in single set :whistle:

Yeah, it's another point of view. But i think FIVB should give more chances to African teams. For example, in grand prix 2 spots for Africa can be good. Therefore, they will be more experienced and they can struggle with good teams.

• Yeah, it's another point of view. But i think FIVB should give more chances to African teams. For example, in grand prix 2 spots for Africa can be good. Therefore, they will be more experienced and they can struggle with good teams.

Even if Algeria plays 100 matches per year against top teams from all over the world, they won't win a single one. Experience alone won't help them...

• Even if Algeria plays 100 matches per year against top teams from all over the world, they won't win a single one. Experience alone won't help them...

Exactly, also continental qualifications for Olympic Games should be changed to World Qualifications. Especially Olympic Games should be place for best teams. Frequently weak host team takes one precious place, so second place for Africa is too much.

WGCC is commercial tournament and I understand, that Japan do not want so see weak teams.

• Yeah, it's another point of view. But i think FIVB should give more chances to African teams. For example, in grand prix 2 spots for Africa can be good. Therefore, they will be more experienced and they can struggle with good teams.

• Bartek :rolll: totally agree :lol:

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• So... the line's broken

2006 World Champion: Russia
    2007 World Cup champion: Italy
    2008 Olympic champion: Brasil
    2009 World Grand Champions cup: Italy
    2010 World Champion: Russia
    2011 World Cup Champion: Italy
    2012 Olympic champion: Brasil
    2013 World Grand Champions Cup: No Italy

• Don't forget this year's Grand Prix either! :lol: :lol: :lol:

• They might still get the Wild Card :D

• They might still get the Wild Card :D

8|

There's hope then... can you imagine? :white:

• Who has been the Wild Card, the last 4 times this tournament was held? South Korea!

If China wins the Asian Championship, I could see Thailand or South Korea as Wild Card, baring some crazy stuff happening in Norceca, like the Dominican Republic winning. Africa's teams are just too weak on the women's side for this tournament. On the men's side they will perform better but African teams in FIVB events have had dismal performances.

2002 World Championships, 0-10 (Kenya & Egypt), 1 set won (Kenya)
    2003 World Cup, 0-11 Egypt, 0 sets won
    2004 Olympics, 0-5 Kenya, 0 sets won
    2006 World Championships, 0-15 (Cameroon, Kenya & Egypt) 3 sets won (Kenya only)
    2007 World Cup, 0-11 Kenya, 2 sets won
    2008 Olympics, 0-5 Algeria, 1 set won
    2010 World Championships, 0-10 (Kenya & Algeria), 0 sets won
    2011 World Cup, 0-20 (Algeria & Kenya) (taking out the Algeria 3-1 win over Kenya), 3 sets won (1 Algeria (4 total), 2 Kenya (3 total))
    2012 Olympics, 0-5 Algeria, 2 sets won
    2013 World Grand Prix 0-9 Algeria, 0 sets won

Total numbers 2002 to 2013, 0-101, 12 sets won

• 8|

There's hope then... can you imagine? :white:

No way, Italy won't get wild card this time even because nobody wants it. Grand Champions Cup is such a meaningless competition, and besides that Italian federation is now deciding whether firing or not Mencarelli :lol: so it's not the case to ask for a wild card

• 4 years ago FIVB gave Wild Card to Champion Egypt in Men's event as easy bite for Host.

Curious if now in Women's event Japan will risk and will give Wild Card to Korea with Kim or to Kenya.