2013 Yeltsin Cup - Russia - 25/06

• Thank you! I didn't have a opportunity to see a single game from this tournament yet. Im Very happy for Sasha Pasynkova! Hope she'll keep the good form!

Sasha :rose:

• Thank you! I didn't have a opportunity to see a single game from this tournament yet. Im Very happy for Sasha Pasynkova! Hope she'll keep the good form!

Yes, Pasynkova was really good throughout tournament, both with Chaplina in my opinion were the best OHs: both with nice spike efficiency (Sasha 58%, Viktoria 50%), both with solid reception (2 best receiving OHs, only Akari Oumi and Costagrande can fight with them) and both were among 5 best servers.

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• russia have got very good OH right now. they will be very dangerous in wgp and ech :whistle:

• We have 3 Russians which did well throughout this tournament: Pasynkova, Chaplina and Obmochaeva (though she could be a bit better, but she was better OPP than Sorokaite) ^^ I guess that Matthias agrees with me :)

Yes, I agree :) And I also wouldn't have complained if Pankova had won MVP, her style of play is really good and important for the new way of playing of Russia NT!

• It's been a horrible year for Russian women's sport with the handball team not even qualifying for WCh, basketball team failing to get out of preliminary round at ECh, no Russian players in R4 at Wimbledon, bad results in biathlon... I wonder if the volleyball team can save their honour.

• It's been a horrible year for Russian women's sport with the handball team not even qualifying for WCh, basketball team failing to get out of preliminary round at ECh, no Russian players in R4 at Wimbledon, bad results in biathlon... I wonder if the volleyball team can save their honour.

I doubt it they seem to lack the typical russian winning mentality as previous generation had

• In addition to these awards, the report on Yeltsin Cup website lists Natalia Obmochaeva as best spiker.

http://www.yeltsincup.ru/news-2013-09l.htm

• Very glad for Pasynkova, Chaplina and the rest of the russian team.

In Montreux, both were not at 100%, Pasynkova having minor injuries and Chaplina collapsed at the end of the competition. Pankova has gained much self confidence since Montreux, where she was sometimes totally overhelmed and Marichev had to substitute her. But on the other side, I think the way she play in Montreux was even more interesting and versatile, not being able to set powerful and relyable hitters as Obmochaeva. And please, do not forget Daria Isaeva, but she hardly played this time...

• Pankova has gained much self confidence since Montreux, where she was sometimes totally overhelmed and Marichev had to substitute her. But on the other side, I think the way she play in Montreux was even more interesting and versatile, not being able to set powerful and relyable hitters as Obmochaeva.

In Montreux, she had Natalia Dianskaya as powerful attacking MB, in Yeltsin Cup she had Borodakova as embarassing attacking MB. That certainly changed her way of playing, I agree...

• i was just wondering. did yonkaira pena change her spiking approach? she seemed to be less effective at yeltsin than at montreux and her jumping seemed a bit diferent to me.

kwiek is such a creative coach. annerys as OH? now i've seen it all. what's next? echenique as MB?

• But why is Borodokova playing? why she have a "free spot"? its unfair

I agree. She looks visibly out of shape and her technique was anything but great. She's been a consistent starter for Russia for quite some time and I can never figure out why.

• speaking of which, i thought that both she and perepelkina got very few sets at the olympics, that russia was just relying on their size outside to muscle its way to the finals. sp why was startseva voted best setter?????? she rarely set the middle.

how tall are chaplina, pasynkova, malykh and isaeva?

• speaking of which, i thought that both she and perepelkina got very few sets at the olympics, that russia was just relying on their size outside to muscle its way to the finals. sp why was startseva voted best setter?????? she rarely set the middle.

how tall are chaplina, pasynkova, malykh and isaeva?

According to FIVB (height/spike/block):
    Alexandra Paynkova - 190/313/305
    Viktoria Chaplina - 188/301/295
    Natalia Malykh - 187/308/297
    Daria Isaeva - 186/310/304

All with similar height, however differences in spike/block reach are bigger.

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• What about Kosheleva? Why didn't she play this cup?
    I miss her a lot.

• I agree. She looks visibly out of shape and her technique was anything but great. She's been a consistent starter for Russia for quite some time and I can never figure out why.

Well I think Borodakova is an exceptional blocker, she usually moves very fast and gets up quickly. Her hitting has always been very sub-par, but with Gamova on the team she had much less of a role to score attacking points rather than block points IMO.