2014 FIVB World Championship - Italy - 9/23

• Hi :win:
    I got curious and went to watch the end of the 4th set. You are probabily talking about when it's 18x17 for Brazil and Turkey makes two consecutive points. Zé stops the match and says something like: "Let's fight for each ball...this is the time to do that! The ball cannot hit the ground that easily" And then he asks Dani to put Thaisa to spike in front of her but to actually set to Sheilla.

thx.. it was tactful of you.

• of course in this type of tournaments even if you have a 9-0 record but lost once you'll be out of medal contention on the other hand if your record is 5-4 but got lucky 2 times then youl'l have a chance even for bronze

startseva? without gamova she;'s just average put her in moscow and moscow will go from finalists of russian league to 5th place while kosanienko put her in kazan and kazan will be finalists of cl 2 years in a row, difference is not that big? if your only value is defense then you should have been an oh not setter because in setting it is actually the setting skills which i am concerned about not some miscellaneous ability

• I am not so firm on female volleyball, so please excuse my question :whistle: :

While reading the discussion about the russian setters, i wonder what happened to the setter who played last year on ECH for the russian team? I forgott about her name, but it wasn't Startseva?! I liked her play.......

• And who is the coach of RC Cannes ?
    The previous coach of Chinese NT didn't ever make problems and gossips. But if you can't read a personal statement (mine :D ) about the usual behavior (not only this speech about travelling) of their coach (she didn't shake the hands of the Italian coach at the end of the last China/Italy for example), it's not my business. :offtopic:

I'm so fed up with your biased comments on Jenny. Please back up your argument with basic true evidence. Just recheck the game replay with your wide open eyes please. Jenny did shake hands with Bonita. Don't be such a dick. It's fine to favour someone or dislike some but please don't dump fake accusations. :down:

• I am not so firm on female volleyball, so please excuse my question :whistle: :

While reading the discussion about the russian setters, i wonder what happened to the setter who played last year on ECH for the russian team? I forgott about her name, but it wasn't Startseva?! I liked her play.......

she's on the bench :)

• The results of the matches from the first round for the matches against the teams that advanced are carried forward to the second round. This is because there are now 8 teams in the Pool as opposed to 6.

As for the travel, coaches will complain about travel. If the teams flew, each city is around 1 hour from Rome. Driving though would be a pain, Bari 4 hours from Rome, Milan 6 hours from Rome, Trieste 7 hours from Rome, Verona 5 hours from Rome and Modena 4.5 hours from Rome.

At least they are not traveling across the continent like a tournament in the USA, which college teams do at the beginning of the season. Could be worse with Hawaii being 5 hours from the west coast of the USA. Makes for really long road trips.

Thank you guys for the answer. Now I get it that it means Japan is at risk of not passing through the final round. A bad news for me :white:

• Am I the only that gets excited to see Kosheleva-Obmachaeva-Gamova or sometimes Malykh on court? I find it very brave of Marichev and he obviously aims to find the best solution by using the best players he has. Russian middles have never been scoring machines so why need good receptions when you won't use them anyway? At least you have reliable spikers on the edges that can fix bad receptions. Hope Gamova improves her performance and then this line up might work much better.

• Am I the only that gets excited to see Kosheleva-Obmachaeva-Gamova or sometimes Malykh on court? I find it very brave of Marichev and he obviously aims to find the best solution by using the best players he has. Russian middles have never been scoring machines so why need good receptions when you won't use them anyway? At least you have reliable spikers on the edges that can fix bad receptions. Hope Gamova improves her performance and then this line up might work much better.

Maybe not all the time. You see, Goncharova and Pasynkova are used interchangeably. In some matches, Goncha is the starter and sometimes the other way around (Kosheleva is constant tho as OH and why not). One thing I could definitely say about Marichev he is the kind of coach who is afraid not to take risks, and, whether those risks are worthy or not, we shall know in the coming days :wavy:

There is no point of arguing with someone here, and definitely no need with that snarky tone :whistle:

Let me quote Bruno Resende: Why do you think you need only good reception to use the MBs?

• I just watched the tie break of Italia x D.R.
    God, what a horrible set by Lo Bianco! She used the middle only once and it was already 11x7 for D.R....
    I didn't understand why she set three times in a row for Caterina in zone 2.
    On the other hand, great blocking by D.R. and wow! De La Cruz just killed it!

Italian MBs were "out of the game" much before the 5th set. If Arrighetti, Folie or Chrichella would have been outstanding no doubt Leo would have tried other sets.

• Well you need good reception even for wingspikers. I really don't think Goncharova is a player who kills every high set or so. Also I would say Kosheleva was also very dependent on reception till this year. This year she's amazing though. With Kosheleva's current shape, everything is possible for Russia.

• But Kosheleva alone can't win medal in WCH :wavy: Gamova is reinforcement, but Obmochaeva should help team more... and with this reception line Startseva won't deliver many balls to MBs :whistle: Brazilian male's NT is another case here... and Russian defence also screws many things up :aww: meanwhile Marichev lives in his dreams :lol: maybe he'll wake up before it's too late :D

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• a couple of questions:

can mammadova, rahimova and aghayeva all play together? i don't know if any of them can pass/receive serve well. i know aghayeva sometimes does, but she's so tall i can't imagine she is good at it.

do any of the CMR play in europe? i'd think nana and fotso are good enough for a pro team in europe.

• a couple of questions:

can mammadova, rahimova and aghayeva all play together? i don't know if any of them can pass/receive serve well. i know aghayeva sometimes does, but she's so tall i can't imagine she is good at it.

do any of the CMR play in europe? i'd think nana and fotso are good enough for a pro team in europe.

As far as I know, AZE tried to put them on court together in WCH qualification, reception was quite bad. I don't think it's a good idea.
    Also Mammadova is not as strong as she was, without her is not really a bad news for AZE.