2014 FIVB World Championship - Italy - 9/23

• So Japan is in serious trouble now. Of course Dominicana has to defeat Azerbaijan. Not yet done.
    So tomorrow will be a great volley day too.
    And thanks to Consuelo and Andrea ;)

• yes, like saying ' che pecato' whenever italy loses a point, repeatedly, ad nauseam. very technical.

No ... "Che peccato" was from the third man, Maurizio Colantuoni the Arlecchino of the squad ! On Rai tv, there is always a buffoon !
    But it's a very nice guy !
    And actually it's obvious (and it's not a surprise) they back Italy NT but they congrat players of other teams too, especially Consuelo. And when an italian ball is out, they say "out" !

• yes, like saying ' che pecato' whenever italy loses a point, repeatedly, ad nauseam. very technical.

and when italy does well, they say 'brava' 'che coraggio' but never for the other team.

it's an home world cup...you just can't pretend to listen to neutral national tv's commentators :thumbup:

• Candida Arias had a fracture in her right hand today and is out for the rest of the WCH.

It's a pity because now they have no backup MB in her place because they took only 12 players... but I hope that it won't spoil anything :roll:

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• RAI commentators are great. With Consuelo Mangifesta :cheesy: and Andrea Luchetta :cheesy: , we can listen to the best technical comments of this millenium (at least)

I like Consuelo for many years too. She's the best!

Russia lost the third set from 24-18 and lost 6 match points in a row. I don't think this ever happened before to Russian Nteam.

• I like Consuelo for many years too. She's the best!

Russia lost the third set from 24-18 and lost 6 match points in a row. I don't think this ever happened before to Russian Nteam.

well it's not the same but in WCh 2010 Russia lost first set to Turkey from 23-14 to 25-27 :P One of my favorite volley moments :)

• Sakota replaced Nagaoka in the rotation. Manabe made this call.

Japan is not stopping anyone at the net. Their top 3 blockers are Miyashita 0.28, Shinnabe 0.24 and Saori Kimura 0.16.
    0.68 blocks per/set from your top 3? They are swimming against a stiff current.

Japan's digging numbers are up, but the front half of the defense is not there for Japan to stop taller teams.

Dominican Republic needs a combination of 7 points by wins or Japan losses to advance. Plus they are 3 wins above them if they did tie on points.

Japan has lost 3 5-set matches, while DR has won 4 of them.

USA still perfect. Turkey has just not had it together in this tournament. Brazil had more difficulty than I would have expected today.

China and Italy look to be easily into the third round.

• Just from my observation, Larson seems to struggle more with passing for USA as the OH1.

She was almost exclusively OH2 the past several years with USA. She started the year as OH2 and Karch switched her mid-year to OH1.

Slightly differently look. Different responsibility on the court now. USA would need her to up her game to go far in the tournament.

the strategy is to have kim hill, the weaker receiver, receives on the left side 4 times and just twice in the middle court and have the libero and larson receives on the middle of the court most of the time,opponents cant exploit hill's reception too much and so team usa is winning games

• about RAI commentators,

sorry, we don't need a buffoon on sports shows, they can be in other types of shows. my italian is not good but i can hear them constantly pumping up the ITA team as if there's no journalistic standards. and the lady says 'che pecato' all the time, not just the buffoon, as you say. anytime ITA does something good, it's 'brava, che coraggio.' where's the analysis?

at least in some countries, there's some semblance of journalistic impartiality. yes, we make fun of paul sunderland (in the US) when he makes mistakes, but he's not screaming 'USA! USA! USA!" into the microphone.

actually the worse is some screaming hysterical troll in the french sports channel, don't know which one, but whom i have heard on YT screaming about lemaitre and lavillenie like they are gods come to earth to save france. TRULY pathetic.

• about DOM, what is kwiek gonna do when valdez and fersola need a break? there's no other MB????? maybe they can get brayelin to fill in, she's tall enough… :- )

or adopt the manabe hybrid system with false MB??????

Its a shame what happened to Arias. She is a strong MB. Very agressive at blocking.
    Valdez and Fersola have the responsability to play well because there is no a third MB. Brayelin is too slow for that position.

Hybrid system in DOM... I dont think so. Reception and defense are not their best skills.

• Will it be better if Larson is OH2?

I'd say Larson is more suited to OH2 as an individual player. But as part of an OH-combo, USA needs her to be the OH1. Kim Hill is doing fine at OH2.

Good for USA. Bad for Hildebrand's Olympic chances.

Like anyone else Kristin has to compete. It'll only get tougher for her when Megan heads back to the US gym mid next year...

• the strategy is to have kim hill, the weaker receiver, receives on the left side 4 times and just twice in the middle court and have the libero and larson receives on the middle of the court most of the time,opponents cant exploit hill's reception too much and so team usa is winning games

Yes, the move was strategic. And a change that I do not disagree with.

As a side note, rotation 1 has been a problem for USA in reception and first ball sideout. They'll have to figure that out, too.

• I agree that Consuelo Mangifesta is the best. I loved her since I first heard her commenting on Rai Sport during Wch 2006.

btw, anybody else have problem accessing stats? for me it opens only Best scorers category but not others.

• Can't wait for Croatia-China :D I'm ready for one more suprise :heart:
    Today will come more fans from Croatian than yesterday but on Sun and Sat venue will be full of Croatian fans :D

• i can understand that, if you're not italian, their comment may seem a little "exaggerated"... but the analysis is on lucchetta, when there are the breaks... during the match mangifesta and colantoni cheer for the italian NT... maybe it's not 100% professional, but we are very passionate and we like it!and i think you're too hard on them... mangifesta tries to insert some technical comments.