2014 FIVB World Championship - Italy - 9/23

• why can Italy beat Russia ?

bcz Italian game and mentality look similar to Turkish one..they are to play with fighting spirit and persistance,resistance in fron of their crowd...Italy doesnt have super attackers but have enough players to spike to get a kill.They have kind of joker player like Diuof..

They can control Gamova with their libero (cardullo)...if they can control Kosheleva like Serbians did then they may have the chance to win..i dont know why but Goncharova doesnt still come as a reliable attacker to me..considering Russian little middle contribution,its not hard to predict that Italians will try to put blocks in front of Russian wings many of time,mainly in front of Kosheleva..

however i dont think they have as good block as Serbia...Kosheleva can hit over many of Italian players' "relatively lower" block...moreover Goncharova can surprise us again after Serbia match,who knows..maybe this Wch will be a good step in Goncharova's mentality to improve.

• what i like about this WCH being held in italy is that italians actually WATCH and most matches are filled up. unlike in japan last 2010 wherein matches are only filled up when it's japan NT playing. all other matches didn't have crowds at all and it didn't feel like a championship tournament.

• what i like about this WCH being held in italy is that italians actually WATCH and most matches are filled up. unlike in japan last 2010 wherein matches are only filled up when it's japan NT playing. all other matches didn't have crowds at all and it didn't feel like a championship tournament.

The time-zone difference is killing me :obey:

• Diouf is so cute :whistle:

• Canter Can Kosheleva hit over Diouf's block? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Will Diouf be a starter against Russia ? what matters who will be next to Diouf at block ?..Chiricella-Diouf can stop her..btw.. i dont know much about her blockinbg skill...is Diouf good at it ? Kosleva can use well gaps of blocks..block discipline very important against her..

• I just wanna take a second to share my WCH experience: I had the chance to watch live from PalaFlorio (Bari) some matches:

(all of the morning matches except the one played on Sunday)
    China - Puerto Rico
    China - Azerbaijan
    Puerto Rico - Azerbaijan
    Azerbaijan - Belgium

(the matches played on Sunday in the afternoon/evening)
    Japan - China
    Belgium - Puerto Rico

(all of the matches of the 2nd round)
    Dominican Republic - Belgium
    Italy - Azerbaijan
    Dominican Republic - Azerbaijan
    Italy - Belgium
    Dominican Republic - China
    Italy - Japan
    Dominican Republic - Japan
    Italy - China

I think I saw more matches live from 09/23 to 10/05 than in my whole life...
    I basically went there everyday there was a match and I can say that it was an amazing experience... FInally we got something great to watch in the south part of Italy! The first time I saw the Italian NT playing I had to take a plane and going to Milan... I really hope there will be more important competition here cause a lot of people are waiting for it and when Italy played here, there were a lot of people and on Sunday and on Saturday it was sold out :whistle:

I saw some great things like Belgium fans and people from Azerbaijan hanging out together, sitting together, taking pictures together... To watch Italy went to Bari people from all over the south (and not only there) part of Italy with a lot of buses and the crowd was amazing... There were people from China that live in Italy that went there to watch the matches and they were very cute: they were dressed in the same way and they all had those small flags XD Belgium supporters were absolutely amazing, they were chanting and supporting their team all the time...

I would be even better if there are no matches at all during the morning because a lot of people can't go there because of school/university/work.... I had the chance to go there in the morning because I had just finish the exams and I had no lessons at the university.

We had the ECH in 2011 here in Italy and now the WCH so I think we will have to wait to have here again something like that, but I hope they will consider again the south part of Italy :thumbsup:

It's possible, you just have to believe in yourself and really not care what other people say, because I've heard it all.
    If you let someone else dictate what you're going to do in life, then you won't get there.

Non so neanche come onestamente: in due mesi ero di nuovo in campo.

Italians also manage the website better than the Polish, btw.

• In my opinion Diouf is a great blocker and her height Will help her to Be a starter against Russia

It could happen... She is playing very well in this tournamet and she basically played the whole time in the last match with China...
    After the match vs Japan, Monica De Gennaro left the gym full of ice... she looked like an walking ice-woman, well... she was not even able to walk well... She had problems with her knee and with her hand and in the following match vs China, Cardullo played. I don't know who will play... I think it will be very diffucult for Bonitta to chose the starting players, but it wont be a big problem since he has the balls to make changes (not like someone else...) during the game. It will be interesting also the "battle" in the middle... Arrighetti and Chirichella played for almost the whole competition, but in the last match Folie was the starter and she did a really great job... I won't even speak about the setters... Tough decision!!! Maybe Del Core will be a starter during the next match because she did not play during the last one (maybe to have some rest :?: )

It's possible, you just have to believe in yourself and really not care what other people say, because I've heard it all.
    If you let someone else dictate what you're going to do in life, then you won't get there.

• I think Bonitta will put this starting 6/7

Lo Bianco
    Centoni
    Del Core Costagrande
    Arrighetti Chirichella
    De Gennaro (or I hope Cardullo)

But It will be changes as usual : Diouf and Bosetti will go in for sure
    And Ferretti will take the place of Leo if things don't go well ...

• Thanks for you comments, Loca, on Bari.
    La Puglia è bella. Great souvenirs for me :P

• I think Bonitta decided to not use Ferretti that much to not risk her. She played 3 sets in the last match and I think Signorile will not be in the 12 players anymore if Ferretti is ok.

I think Diouf will play against Russia as a starter and I think we will see Cardullo playing.

There will be a lot of changes between Lo Bianco/Ferretti and Centoni/Diouf

• Italians also manage the website better than the Polish, btw.

Thanks for you comments, Loca, on Bari.
    La Puglia è bella. Great souvenirs for me :P

I live in Puglia, I live in a city near Bari... and yes, it's beautiful here :thumbup:

• Do we have any news about Pasynkova's injury and whether or not she is ready to play in the next matches? Paging semisonic? :wavy:
    I still believe Startseva will be default setter for the next matches. She has better defense than Kosianenko, arguably a better server, and believe it or not, she has started to use the MBs more esp. Fetisova. Team Zenya FTW :lol: Speaking of Fetisova, I'm glad Marichev realized she is the only Russian MB who is reliable in the block, which can be crucial in decisive moments (case in point: Fetisova's kill block in first set against Serbia).

We do but very controversial.

1. Marichev kind of said she's off till the end of WCh:
    http://www.championat.com/voll…ionate-mira-v-italii.html

2. Shevchenko (nominal head of Russian Volleyball Federation) hopes she'll play USA:
    http://www.championat.com/voll…-sbornoj-ssha-na-chm.html

3. Fadeev (the chap who deals with women volleyball in the Federation) says definite no for the US game:
    http://www.championat.com/voll…tche-so-sbornoj-ssha.html

• From the Italian side, reception is the key question. If they do it Serbian way then I guess we both know the outcome. Serbians did not control anyone. Yes, there were some spectacular kill blocks but the reality is that Kosheleva killed 13 balls from 25 attempts in that game. Add 15/27 for Goncharova and 11/21 for Gamova and you'll get the full scale of this "control". Imo, reception-defense-middle attack-stable serve + speed is current anti-Russia recipe.

As for Russia, a lot depends on how they serve and of course on Gamova's condition. When she has a blackout all the team is likely to go groggy. One can take her off of course but then we have essentially a bunch of debutantes on the pitch. What Russia failed to explore so far is the combination game with three attackers. They tried quick back court attack a bit but then abandoned this adventure, in my view, rather prematurely.

Goncharova is a mystery to everyone.

• i like Murphy,she is a good opp and very suitable for fast game but we should better see her game against organized blocks when the game is slowed down by good serves of the opponents..

This is actually a good point. But another moment is that she scored a lot due to mispositioning of the opponent's block, which always happens when you deal with left-hander. Let us see how they did their homework :).

• well.. looking at the stats she seems to have played well , however what i meant i hadnt see Kosheleva being blocked back to back till that match..you know Italians know better how to play team-play and other x-factors which Serbian team lacked against Russia. Italy can play other part of the game better than Serbs...that counts...