2015 World Cup - Japan - 8/22

• till now, brazil looks possibly the world champion in italy 2014, and will brazil participate in the WC 2015 ?
    if i am not wrong, the OG hosts are not attending the WC year before for recent decades.

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• till now, brazil looks possibly the world champion in italy 2014, and will brazil participate in the WC 2015 ?
    if i am not wrong, the OG hosts are not attending the WC year before for recent decades.

The US played the 1995 WC. China didn't play the 2007 WC but I think maybe they were not qualified to this competition or just did not want to go.
    And in the other years, the OG hosts did not have teams that would be qualified for the WC anyway... (Great Britain, Greece, Australia...)

• The US played the 1995 WC. China didn't play the 2007 WC but I think maybe they were not qualified to this competition or just did not want to go.
    And in the other years, the OG hosts did not have teams that would be qualified for the WC anyway... (Great Britain, Greece, Australia...)

China finished 2nd, but Thailand who finished 3rd and South Korea who finished 4th were the teams in the World Cup as the Asian representatives. I am guessing that FIVB said their world ranking and hosting the Olympics said that they did not need to participate.

• China finished 2nd, but Thailand who finished 3rd and South Korea who finished 4th were the teams in the World Cup as the Asian representatives. I am guessing that FIVB said their world ranking and hosting the Olympics said that they did not need to participate.

If I remember correctly China decided not to participate, since it was already qualified as the Olympic host.

• If I remember correctly China decided not to participate, since it was already qualified as the Olympic host.

you are right, China quit, but by taking FIVB's direction.
    i dont think any team prefers to quit a competition by losing possible FIVB ranking points and good oppotunity to prove a team.

i was searching some articles and get some information that was not official maybe, "the TOP three teams of World Cup will directly qualified for Olympic Games next year (2005-2008 Olympic cycle), therefore, FIVB suggests the CHINA Volleyball NT of the both genders as the Host of Beijing OG shall not participate in the world cup and the CVA accepted FIVB's suggestion. During one interview, the head coach Chen Zhonghe said he has predicted the result and has made another training plan to prepare the OG instead of world cup."
    if it is true, i think sometimes FIVB made something really crazy :down: :down: :down:

to be me...

• you are right, China quit, but by taking FIVB's direction.
    i dont think any team prefers to quit a competition by losing possible FIVB ranking points and good oppotunity to prove a team.

i was searching some articles and get some information that was not official maybe, "the TOP three teams of World Cup will directly qualified for Olympic Games next year (2005-2008 Olympic cycle), therefore, FIVB suggests the CHINA Volleyball NT of the both genders as the Host of Beijing OG shall not participate in the world cup and the CVA accepted FIVB's suggestion. During one interview, the head coach Chen Zhonghe said he has predicted the result and has made another training plan to prepare the OG instead of world cup."
    if it is true, i think sometimes FIVB made something really crazy :down: :down: :down:

Thanks for the info! :)
    A bad decision by FIVB, since the WC in 2007 already lacked Russia which won the WCH the year before. FIVB should have encouraged China to participate instead. If China was in the top three, than simply the fourth classified should have taken the Olympic berth.

• Thanks for the info! :)
    A bad decision by FIVB, since the WC in 2007 already lacked Russia which won the WCH the year before. FIVB should have encouraged China to participate instead. If China was in the top three, than simply the fourth classified should have taken the Olympic berth.

FIVB made very right decision by withdrew China from World Cup, because it may cause, using simply words, match-fixing. For China it would be much better to win against some team and lost against the other. Of course I do not have anything against China, it is just example and it concern each OG host. At WC 2015 for sure we will not see Brazil because World Cup is Olumpic Qualification Tournament and Brazil do not need play there.

• In Fivb's site it is written that the world cup points effect the world ranking only 2 years but 2011 World Cup's points are still there. Will it be deleted before 2015 World Cup? If it is not, the teams that had already participated to 2011 edition will have a very big advantage. I think they must be deleted

• if the points collected in 2011 world cup were to be deleted then Italy was going to lose 100 points...even this would change the leader of the rankings from usa to Brazil ..it would be good both for Russia and Turkey :lol: these both teams had had "zero" point from that tournament..

then Turkey would be above Germany and the same poinst as Serbia in the rankings...Russia would be the 5th and Turkey the 8th...

• But FIVB ranking does not have any meaning right now. No matter when points would be erased. Now the most important are continental rankings, especially when we are talking about Europe. In January 2016 in qualification tournament for OG will play 7-best ranked teams plus host by CEV ranking, not FIVB. In World Qualification Tournament in Japan will play 2nd and 3rd team from tournament in January 2016 - so then even CEV ranking will not have any meaning. For European teams the most important competitions are ECH 2015 and then EQT 2016. It looks like that, for example, if Italian NT will not be in TOP 2 at WC 2015 and will not be in top3 in European QT, then they will not go to Rio, even they are the best ranked team in FIVB ranking (also CEV). Gate is open for everyone.

• But ECh 2015 is after World Cup. That's the problem. I don't know CEV's ranking, probably it's the rank of ECh 2013 so Russia and Germany will play there as European Qualifiers. What about Asian Championship by the way? Is it after World Cup, too?

• But ECh 2015 is after World Cup. That's the problem. I don't know CEV's ranking, probably it's the rank of ECh 2013 so Russia and Germany will play there as European Qualifiers. What about Asian Championship by the way? Is it after World Cup, too?

Right, ECH is after WC, but no matter when the competition is, because the rules have been changed. Four years ago each team fought at continental championship to play at WC and score some points there or even qualification. Now ECH 2015 will have influence for European Qualification Tournament and who will play there. If Russia or Italy would qualify to OG from World Cup, then at ECH 2015 they will fight just for the champion and will not be included at CEV ranking for EQT.

• FIVB made very right decision by withdrew China from World Cup, because it may cause, using simply words, match-fixing. For China it would be much better to win against some team and lost against the other. Of course I do not have anything against China, it is just example and it concern each OG host. At WC 2015 for sure we will not see Brazil because World Cup is Olumpic Qualification Tournament and Brazil do not need play there.

was there any actual occurrence in match-fixing in WC, you might say US used to do it in 1995...
    however can you really avoid match fixing in a tournament, not only in WC...i think it depends on whether the team would like to do so and if they have the priority conditons to do so.
    as what you said, the host Japan will not participate in WC 2019, because Japan is gonna host Tokyo Olympic Games....it is very too interesting...
    FIVB's decision is changeable all the time, let us see...

to be me...

• It all depends how qualification system for OG 2020 will look like. Japan always is the most important for themselves and FIVB (and of course their money). Maybe in 2017 somebody from FIVB will state, that generally it is fair to let Japan play at World Cup (even organize it) and also all teams will have opportunity to get some familiarity how to play in Japan and how it may be during OG. Money very often helps to make such decisions.

• 2019 World Cup could be played outside Japan if the Brazilian Federation has any sway. We heard the complains in 2011 from them about always having this tournament in Japan.