2015 World Cup - Japan - 8/22

• if my memory doesnt mislead me ..China had won 2003 WC..i remember China was a strong team and they were a flashy team..maybe this was bcz i was watching China for the first time

now the teams in this WC seems to be "weaker" compared to those years

what do you think ? : the other teams levels have risen and therefore today's strong teams are more beatable or ?

• There's a rumor out there saying that World Cup '19 won't qualify any teams to Tokyo 2020.

FIVB is more willing to decrease the importance of the tournament instead of move the Cup outside Japan. :hit:

• We are making ourselves too many problems for nothing. Less european teams, more european teams, Russia, Serbia, China...

What are these big european teams which won't go to Rio de Janeiro?

Serbia, Russia, Netherlands and Turkey are the best european teams right now. All these teams have their chances.

About the others, I won't miss Italy, Germany, Belgium and so on if they don't qualify.

And I want Porto Rico to take the NORCECA spot. It would be intresting.

• Considering Italy out of top 4 europe team is just a joke. You will see...

Anyway it's ridicolous to spoil spot to european teams to give them to much weaker teams

• Dominican Republic is still better :wavy: but Puerto Rico may become better if more players go abroad :roll:

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• I also do not understand which are these amazing European teams people here want so badly at the Olympics.

1992 semifinalists: Cuba, Russia, USA, Brazil
    1996 semifinalists: Cuba, China, Brazil, Russia
    2000 semifinalists: Cuba, Russia, Brazil, USA
    2004 semifinalists: China, Russia, Cuba, Brazil
    2008 semifinalists: Brazil, USA, China, Cuba
    2012 semifinalists: Brazil, USA, Japan, South Korea

This means that only Russia appeared in the top 4 teams in the last 6 OGs (and they stopped at the quarters in the last two). Where is Italy, Serbia, Turkey, Poland???!!! You want the Europeans to participate in chance of what?! I really don't understand. The same applies to WCHs. Last year we had USA, China, Brazil and Italy. 2010 we had Russia, Brazil, Japan, USA...

• i think European continent makes the difference in mid-level teams or the number of the teams who are close to the top teams compared to the other continents...otherwise the strongest teams of the world are not from Europe but are from American continent or Asian continent

• we know about the special situation of japan therefore i would omit them..China consists of younger players and i think they are a very good team but they still need to prove themselves to the world with this young squad ..other two teams are the strongest teams of the world..and only european teams can beat these strongest teams in the world sometimes..

• Ned one of the best teams ?? lol :lol:
    You want to watch Puerto Rico and no Italy ?? :hit:

• Since USA will probably qualify from World Cup, yes, I want Porto Rico to go to Rio de Janeiro.

Italy has nothing special anymore. And never went over QFs into the OG. So, we would miss nothing.

Netherlands has Guidetti. Everything is possible for them by now. They have far away better players than Germany, which was in every big competition thanks to the coach's work. And don't forget physically talking dutch have nothing less than everyone else in the world.

• For me, Nederlands, Russia and Serbia are the best European teams today. Considering that Guidetti is now working with the Nederlands, I believe they have much potential to be in the OG and play good matches there. Let's see...

• Well then, let's have Algeria & Kenya in their place :rolleyes:

• And if we take the last 8 editions

1984 semifinalists: China, USA, Japan, Peru
    1988 semifinalists: URSS, Peru, China, Japan

Only URSS / Russia

The last time European teams were in top four: 1980 semifinalists URSS, East Germany, Bulgaria, Hungary

Remember: this is OG, the best teams of each continent, not the best European teams.

• Wait, Europe is NOT what the entire Olympic Games are about? I'm shocked!

I'm 100% in agreement with Sidney and MiguelNR here. The OG (and the WC to a lesser extent) shouldn't be about the best teams in Europe playing against the few teams from other continents like Brazil, USA, Japan and China - it should be about having the best teams from everywhere in the world. Yes, that means Kenya, Algeria and Caribbean teams should partipate despite there being better teams in Europe on paper.

• All those in favour of continents equality - do you enjoy watching this World Cup? is ot okey with you that most of the games are 3-0 with 25-10 in every set? So you are not fed up with that you want to see it during OG either? Olympic volleyball tornament should show the world the best that the game has. And if we fill it with Algeria, Argentina, Peru etc.. we'll just have a lot of boring games, nothing else

• All those in favour of continents equality - do you enjoy watching this World Cup? is ot okey with you that most of the games are 3-0 with 25-10 in every set? So you are not fed up with that you want to see it during OG either? Olympic volleyball tornament should show the world the best that the game has. And if we fill it with Algeria, Argentina, Peru etc.. we'll just have a lot of boring games, nothing else

true, I mean, ok, maybe European Teams didnt reached many Olympic Semifinals, but two things Id like to question...

1. Really, do you guys think is better (in quality terms) to have Cuba, Argentina, Thailand, Dominican Republic, Algeria playing the Olympics instead of Nethlernads, Germany, Serbia, Turkey??
    what would be a better Olympics in your honest opinion?

No one thinks Europeans should replace Brazil, USA, China and Japan....but lets face it...other than these teams, what would make a better Olympics to watch? sorry, but if you guys dont think about the European Teams, really, you are crazy.

Its simple - Brazil, USA, China, Japan, Kenya, Russia, Italy, Serbia, Turkey, Netherlands, Germany, Korea/Dominican Republic. Or Brazil, USA, China, Japan, Russia, Italy, Argentina, Dominican Republic, Korea, Thailand, Cuba and Kenya....what would you rather watch?

2. Look to the qualification process...honestly I find impossible for a European team to arrive in their best level at the Olympics....unless they qualify directly in WC, its really hard for them to reach the Games in their top form, cause the process is so tiring, they just can't make it.....cause they need to be in tp form to Qualify at first, and everyone who know a little bit of high level sports knows that its a cicle with picks....so when you reach one pick from there is down hill for a while...until you can make another pick, but that takes time. In order to Qualify European team need to reach their pick first, so Its hard to keep the levle until the Olympics. Look Serbia in 2012. It was a great team, but they reached the Olympics with so many injuries and players not in their best condition....how can they play well against teams that in one simple tournament, that they dont even need to use their starters, are already qualified and can focus 100% in the Games? Not saying they would beat Brazil or USA or China in their top form, but they could for sure play better or maybe, just maybe try to win it.

the truth is, the fact is, European Teams are in disavantage in terms of qualifying to the Olympics in volleyball....Its not a matter of being in favor of one or another team...is the pure fact.

• Wait, Europe is NOT what the entire Olympic Games are about? I'm shocked!

I'm 100% in agreement with Sidney and MiguelNR here. The OG (and the WC to a lesser extent) shouldn't be about the best teams in Europe playing against the few teams from other continents like Brazil, USA, Japan and China - it should be about having the best teams from everywhere in the world. Yes, that means Kenya, Algeria and Caribbean teams should partipate despite there being better teams in Europe on paper.

So dutch players should never have the chance to play the Olympics just because they were born in Europe? If they play better than the dominicans counts nothing?

Im sorry but its sound very unfair to me...

Olympics are the dream for every athlete, no matter where they were born. So I think a fair qualification process should be aplied, the best qualifies, its simple like that. I do think it should have a representive from each continent of course....but we should all remember as well volleyball only have 12 spots...so where is the limit between giving chances to everybody and being fair to the best teams?

• The thing here is not what we enjoy to watch or not - it's that players from all over the world should have the right to participate in worldwide games. Less known and experienced athletes can gain more experience and chances within the sport in competitions like this. Just today I read that the Kenyan girls are getting stable sponsorship until 2017 or 2018 (not sure) due to their good results in WGP, and that could only be achieved by giving them chances. And that is amazing for volleyball as a whole! That's the same thought process that imo should be applied to competitions like the OG.

If certain championship is not appealing to you, just skip the "unnecessary" games and go watch those you're interested in. I'm sure people who follow volleyball in Africa, for example, are more than glad to see their countries and continent being represented in big events. If you stop to think about it, the OG will have the best teams in the world and it will be competitive and in a high level no matter what. But smaller ones should be there too.

• The thing here is not what we enjoy to watch or not - it's that players from all over the world should have the right to participate in worldwide games. Less known and experienced athletes can gain more experience and chances within the sport in competitions like this. If certain championship is not appealing to you, just skip the "unnecessary" games and go watch those you're interested in. I'm sure people who follow volleyball in Africa, for example, are more than glad to see their country and continent being represented in big events. If you stop to think about it, the OG will have the best teams in the world and it will be competitive and in a high level no matter what. But smaller ones should be there too.

there is why there is the World Championship...where you have much more vancacies...

Olympics are only 12...you talk about right to participate, that is exactly the point, some european team wont ever have the chance to participate. Why, just cause they are in Europe, do you think that is fair? Shouldnt they dream about Olympics as well.

Like I said, I do think we should have teams from all over, sure. Africa should have a representive....I completely agree.....5 spots one for each continent, but the same time, you cant take away the chance for every team to qualify. so for the rest....put Dominicans to play against the dutch and who every wins weather is Dominican Republic or Netherlands, or whatever teams it is, will be there, that is fair for me.

If you get swimming for example, perfect....there are so many vancancies you wont let any of the best swimmers out. You have plenty space to qualify all the best from each country and still qualify some less experienced from less tradicional countries in the sport.

But we are talking about Volleyball....only 12 spots, so Its really fair to let some of the best teams and tradicional teams in the world away from the Games?