2015 World Cup - Japan - 8/22

• Going even further back in history, in 2007 the attacking % were similar to those this year, i.e. clearly better than in 2011. It would be interesting to look at the stats of other big tournaments to see what is "normal", but I'm really too lazy to do this ;)

And another thing I forgot: 4 years ago the tournament was in November, so in the middle of club season and the players had no time to prepare well for WC, while this year they could do so better. But then, in 2007 it was also in November and yet the players had higher %.

Overall average spiking ratios of all attackers in the tournaments:

2007: 41,6 %

2011: 39,6 %

2015: 41,3 %

As seen above, overall averages are quite close, which indicates that the high attacking ratios of top 10 spikers stem from individual skills of players instead of a trend in team level.

Another interesting issue in the last spikers list is that there was no MB included in the ranking (neither Kim Hee-Jin nor Khadambi Brackcides played as regular MBs)

• I think it has to do with the composition of the teams. Even if the starters rested, the low level teams were so weak that the reserves could still spike amazingly. Also, Korea/Dominican are much worse than they were, but still got the top players. So it was relatively easier to kill balls.

Also, a lot of the top finishing teams are simply not good defensively - Serbia and Russia are offensive teams, China is still getting back to historical norms, USA is not the block powerhouse it used to be. Also, the top team mix favored offense. In 2011, Russia was replaced by Italy (one of the best defensive teams in the world, and they will also not kill as many balls as Russia) and Brazil (probably the best defensive team) was there as well. That would depress spiker percentages considerably.

• USA is not the block powerhouse it used to be.

I was thinking the same today. The way the team is getting worse at blocking is something shocking. :white:

Harmotto and Akinradewo used to be always better spiker than blocker, but still very good. Now the only good blocker is Dixon.

And in 1 vs 1 probably Hooker is the best blocker of the world. Her blocking skills are amazing. Lowe gets used by opponent spikers always.

Block-defense system was what made the USA a powerhouse during the last Olympic cicle. Now Kiraly focused the attention on fast setting with so so results.

• I clearly remember Japan playing the very friendly game with Serbia and losing it 2-3 in the last day of 2011 qualification tournament. that's the only reason I expect the same here. Would be happy to be wrong.

i don't totally understand what happened in 2011 but i heard of the controversy. from what i can see, it was not just JPN fixing this result (that eliminated THA), if anything, both JPN and SRB engineered this mutually beneficial result. because by losing, JPN was not doing itself any favors; had they won, they'd have qualified more easily (but eliminated SRB).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…_Qualification_Tournament

i did not see the match; and as noted, there's no proof yet of any fixing.

• I actually have an impression that Russian and Serbian players don't really like each other all that much. On the other hand, SRB and USA team seem to get along well.

I think Terzić would have done the same for any European team. He may be fond of all things Russia, but in the same interview he openly states that FIVB's treatment of Europe is unfair and that he wishes that two European teams would qualify though World Cup.

so it's ok for euroean teams to fix matches but not others?

i have already said, i think it's unfair that it seems that there'll be maximum of 4 euro teams at the olympics, maybe less. four is about the same as london (not counting hosts, they don't really count). i wish there was a chance for another 2 to fight for the last spot. that's why i said, the last qualify. tournament is too stupid. chances are good however for PUR to grab that last spot.

• i'm glad people are finally recognizing fawcett, she was one of my favorite players in US. interestingly enough, i watched some old match of US (WGP 2011?), fawcett was a sub and she was not as fit as today, she was a bit chunky. she is a much better player today. some interesting faces in that team, including alexia crimes.

i don't know if BRA is a favorite in rio, although you can never count them out playing at home (or not, remember london?). but US is certainly not one of them. even by winning WCh, they weren't that impressive… but still, i think the top 4 teams are CHN, BRA, US and SRB. RUS is still boring to me, tall and big hitters, rarely use the middles… but they are better than in london though.

• what a block-defence team it was indeed!! id never thought they would miss the gold :|
    that usa team (2012) and brazillian team which won OG (beating usa 3-1 ..[should be 2008] in the final) were very good teams indeed

• the problem, i noted today, is that ding xia is not a good blocker, koga had a field day hitting against her; whereas shen is a better blocker.

exactly, this is what i wanna say.
    i think Ding Xia herself even realized something, as Lang Ping loves Shen Jingsi better than her.
    She is easily getting more opportunities than Ding because of ther height. as Wei did the same.
    i dont think Lang Ping will use shorter setters like Ding Xia only if she brings certain outstanding ability to pursuade the coach to stand by her.

after the ceremony last night, all palyers were interviewed including Ding, all expressed their gold dream for Rio 2015 while Ding peacefully delivered her wish to take part in Rio 2016. considering the limitation of 12 player roster, Ding Xia might have found her disadvantage in the setter sprint

Shen and Ding are in different patterns.
    Shen Jingsi could control the high balls over net and block much better than Ding, but movement is slow and she is lack of explosive effort while setting.
    Ding Xia is swift and smart setter. she is everywhere on the court and distribute the spikes more clearly but inconsistently during play.

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• my favorite comment is "this player will be the best (insert position) in the next 3 years" forgetting that a serious injury could definitely reduce a player's effectiveness significantly so hyping a player when they are not established is delusional, i mean i hype zhu ting and brenda castillo but that's only after they had tremendous performances in many tournamennts.

• Instead of just Top-4 teams I think the Top-5 pick better represents today's real strength in the women's volleyball: CHN, BRA, US, SRB, RUS (in arbitrary order).

I ain't sure how strong is the team of ITA, TUR and PUR, but think they are more or less at the same category as JPN.

Again, the Top-5 will be the serious contenders for all the medals (G/S/B) in the 2016 Rio OG. It needs a big upset for any of those medals to go beyond the Top-5.

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• Instead of just Top-4 teams I think the Top-5 pick better represents today's real strength in the women's volleyball: CHN, BRA, US, SRB, RUS (in arbitrary order).

I ain't sure how strong is the team of ITA, TUR and PUR, but think they are more or less at the same category as JPN.

Again, the Top-5 will be the serious contenders for all the medals (G/S/B) in the 2016 Rio OG. It needs a big upset for any of those medals to go beyond the Top-5.

PUR is far from the level of game that top 10 Europeans Team has.

• PUR is far from the level of game that top 10 Europeans Team has.

Okay noted. Then just ITA, TUR (or any other European dark horse that may come out from the qualification tournament) and JPN in the category GOOD.

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• And this is how the the Rio 2016 situation is shaping up for the Women's Volleyball:

1. Brazil (Hosts)
    2. China (World Cup 2015)
    3. Serbia (World Cup 2015)
    4. (European OQT......)
    5. (South American OQT......)
    6. (NORCECA OQT......)
    7. (African OQT......)
    8. (Asian OQT......)
    9. (World OQT......)
    10. (World OQT......)
    11. (World OQT......)
    12. (Intercontinental OQT......)

FIVB - VOLLEYBALL :: The Rio 2016 Olympic Games will include a total of 12 teams

As hosts, Brazil were the first country to qualify for the Olympics.

FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Cup Japan 2015 winners China and runners-up Serbia will join the five winners of each Continental Olympic Qualification Tournament due to take place within the period from December 23, 2015 to January 10, 2016.

The qualification tournament for Asian teams will also double as a World Olympic Qualification Tournament and will take place in Japan between the periods of May 14 to June 5, 2016. The top three ranked teams from Asia according to the FIVB Women’s world ranking will be joined by the second and third placed teams from the European Olympic Qualification Tournament, and the second placed team from the South American Olympic Qualification Tournament and the second placed team from the NORCECA Olympic Qualification Tournament. The best ranked Asian team and the top three ranked teams from this tournament will qualify for the Olympics.

The final vacancy will be decided at the Intercontinental Olympic Qualification Tournament due to be held in the period from May 14 to June 5, 2016. The third placed team from the South American Olympic Qualification Tournament, the third placed team from the NORCECA Olympic Qualification Tournament and the second and third placed teams from the African Olympic Qualification Tournament will compete for the final berth.

Confederation Qualified through... more details at: The Rio 2016 Olympic Games will include a total of 12 teams

---------------------------------------------------------

How to reach Olympic Games in Rio after World Cup?

Brazil (host nation), China and Serbia (two best placed teams at the World Cup 2015) have secured tickets for the Olympic Games 2016. Nine more available.

How to reach Rio after the World Cup? Brazil, China and Serbia do not need to worry about this question, as they can already make arrangements for the Olympic Games 2016. But, the others are still hoping to win a ticket for Rio and they will have a chance to do that through qualification tournaments!

There will be 7 qualification tournaments in total, while there are 9 more tickets available for Rio!

It will all start with continental tournaments where only the winners will qualify for the Olympic Games 2016. The first one is European Qualifier (4-9 January 2016, Turkey), then South American Qualifier (4-10 January 2016, Argentina), African Qualifier (January-March 2016), North American Qualifier (January 2016, host to be determined) and finally Asian Qualifier (May 2016, Japan). So, 5 continental tournaments, 5 winners, 5 tickets to Rio.

After that there will be 2 more world tournaments, with 4 more tickets for Rio remaining.

In May 2016 Japan will host the World Qualifier and the International Qualifier. The World Qualifier is combined with the Asian Qualifier. The best 3 ranked teams (excluding the best Asian team which will be considered as the winner of the Asian Qualifier), will secure the vacancies in the Olympic Games 2016. The Intercontinental Qualifier consists of 4 teams, and only the best ranked team will qualify for Olympic Games 2016.

More at: How to reach Olympic Games in Rio after World Cup?

Edited 5 times, last by samsara: addition, expansion ().

• Here again is the list of MVPs at all Women's World Cup, updated after the completion of the 2015 edition:

So both China and Cuba got the MVP thrice; Italy got it twice; and Japan, Poland, South Korea and USA each got it once.

And the MVP is not always selected from the winning team though most of the time it is!

There were three occasions whereas the MVPs were NOT selected from the winning teams (gold medalists): in the very first edition held at Uruguay, 1973, the MVP was picked from KOR, the bronze medalist; in the 6th 1991 it was from USA, the 4th place; and in the 9th 2003 it was from POL, the 8th place!

Edited 2 times, last by samsara: expansion ().

• So is Zhu the youngest MVP in WC history? :cheesy: By the way, why was 6th edition held in 1991 while 5th edition was already in 1989? ?(

• So is Zhu the youngest MVP in WC history? :cheesy: By the way, why was 6th edition held in 1991 while 5th edition was already in 1989? ?(

I guess it was held in 1991 because it was one year before the Olympics, so, from that edition on, World Cup would work as a qualifier. USA got their ticket to Barcelona 92 via the World Cup. Maybe it was a way in order to make this tournment more attractive to the teams.

• when i saw the cozy picture that Chinese players showing sports shirt of Hui Ruoqi, Yang Fangxu and Xu Yunli on the podium...i couldnt help bursting into tears. how nice they are!!! The three absent players really deserve the champion also...
    [removed]

And here's the above-mentioned cozy picture of Chinese players showing the sport shirts of the teammates currently being injured or hindered by health issue: team captain Hui Ruoqi (#12), Yang Fangxu (#3) and Xu Yunli (#11) on the podium... to share the joys and tears together as one team! :olympia:

• Yes Brazilians made the same for Mari and Jaque

HUGE mistake. If I were Coach Ze, I would bring Mari as backup opposite and Fabiola as backup setter. Fernadinha and Tandara did nothing for the team.

• 1. Agreed. SERBIA is the most fun to watch when they were playing against USA and RUS. those are the best matches of the tournament.

2. I think most of the team underestimate CHN since they lost 3 of their star players.

3. Agreed. Playing in Brasil help improve her to become a much consistent player. Boskovic needs to go to Brasil and hopefully she can be the next Sheila Castro.

4. Biggest mistake: No Hooker. Plus, Lowe is such a joke. Fawcett is the best replacement for Hooker. Fast ball to Hill didn't really work because she is not as consistent as the Brazilian players who can play fast tempo.

5. Goncharova's performance might be a little bit off, but she is still one of the best opposite on the tournament. That speaks of how great she is. Russia MBs has always been the problem. Fatesova need a duo.

6. Saori has become the new Logan Tom. She is in the court to control the game. But she has been up and down through the years. I think she will surprise us once again in AQF. Miyashita is a great prospect. For once Japan might have tall setter.

MVP: Zhu Thing might be a good hitter and blocker, but she is no KYK. KYK singlehandedly carry Korea. She receives, she spikes, she blocks, she defends. I don't see Zhu Thing being able to do that. Still, she deserve the MVP award.