Challenge Cup 2010/2011

• Results of the DOL for 2011 GM Capital Challenge Cup

Luxembourg, June 19, 2010. The Drawing of Lots for the 2011 CEV Cup and 2011 GM Capital Challenge Cup was organized this morning in Luxembourg under the supervision of CEV Vice President and ECC President Mrs. Riet Ooms, with two neutral observers – namely Igor Dolinsek from Slovenia and Cato Siljander for the Norwegian club of Nyborg BERGEN – attending that non-public session to represent the 139 clubs and 35 National Federations that registered for the 2011 campaign.
    Mrs. Ooms announced that upon a provision endorsed by the CEV Executive Committee and Board of Administration no final four will be organized for the CEV Cup and GM Capital Challenge Cup and therefore the competition will continue until the very end with home and away matches. Moreover, the rules governing the so-called “Golden Set” have been revised as well, i.e. for all matches – starting from the first round up to the final - a golden set will be played in case of a tie in wins (without counting the set ratio) and decide their final outcome.
    The DOL continued with the draw for the 2011 GM Capital Challenge Cup. There teams were drawn once again according to the European Ranking List and to their subdivision - as far as possible - into geographical zones that will be applied only for the first and second rounds.
    Moreover, the DOL was carried out in order to avoid that teams stemming from the same country will be clashing in the first two rounds. With Vini Monteschiavo JESI having withdrawn for the European Cups at the very last moment before the DOL and the team of URBINO having been moved up to the CEV Cup, Italy will not be represented in the 2011 GM Capital Challenge Cup – Women. Russia’s Omichka OMSK that stands out as one the pre-favorite teams in this competition will first have to test out the likes of Lokomotiv BAKU, a very ambitious and tough Azerbaijani squad.

Detailed results of the DOL are available in the attached PDF files

DOL 2011 GM Capital Challenge Cup

"Lo sbaglio più grande e quello di credere di aver vinto prima ancora di giocare la partita"

• I read a few minutes ago in draws, that in 1st round Azerrail Baku will play against Hibs Paola from.. Malta. I know nothing about volleyball in Malta but I think that it will be very very very easy match. This is first time for Malta in European Cups? Second Team from Baku has easy Opponent too.

• In 2nd round Lokomotiv Baku will face Omichka Omsk with Belikova, Yaneva and Ortiz- one of favourite to Final Four. I think in this Cup will play Uralochka NTMK Ekaterinburg too. Two russian Teams in Final Four?

• I am curious what Matthias think about German Teams and their chances to play in 3rd round. In 2nd Schweriner SC will play against ZOK Rijeka, VC Wiesbaden against Iraklis Thessaloniki.

• Here I am ;)
    Difficult to say now...Schwerin has a pretty good team, I think they can advance to the next round. Wiesbaden lost many players from last season and so far has only a few new players. One of them is setter Olga Raonic who played for Iraklis last season, so she can give information about the team...But I think now is still too early to say anything about the chances of the teams.

• Maritza Plodviv from Bulgaria lost match against Apollon Limassol from Cyprus ! A little sensation.

• Paola Hibs - Azerrail Baku 0-3 ( 7-25, 6-25, 10-25) :drink:

• Maritza Plodviv from Bulgaria lost match against Apollon Limassol from Cyprus ! A little sensation.

Vamos Apollon :box: Looking forward to the second game

• Does anybody have any link for tomorow game Apollon vs Maritza Plodviv

• Apollon LIMASSOL -Maritza PLOVDIV 3:1

:woohoo:

Now two teams from Cyprus in the main face

• I am curious what Matthias think about German Teams and their chances to play in 3rd round. In 2nd Schweriner SC will play against ZOK Rijeka, VC Wiesbaden against Iraklis Thessaloniki.

And now what are Yours predictions?

• Some weeks ago I watched Rijeka in a MEVZA match, and normally Schwerin should beat them, but they still miss some players because of injury (mainly Mira Topic).
    Wiesbaden should also win, Iraklis doesn't have a very strong team. They have Monica Moraru who played last season in Germany and Susanna Josza who played in Wiesbaden two years ago, Wiesbaden has Olga Raonic who last year played in Iraklis, and she said Wiesbaden should win both matches.