Azerbaijan Superleague 2010/2011

• Sanja's Diary
    The phone is ringing... I pick up the phone.
    A voice on the phone is asking: "Hello?... Sanja?"
    I reply, "Yes?"
    The voice: "Would you like to play in Azerbaijan...?"

(At this moment I am thinking... Azerbaijan?! No, no way! I remember when I was there in 2002 for the Final Four of the Top Teams Cup. It's very far away and I don't even know if the quality of volleyball is good in Azerbaijan.)

As, I am trying to imagine myself going to Azerbaijan in my head, the memories of 2002 are turning the idea down.

The voice said: "Sanja?" and I remembered that I was still on the phone and I said: "Oh... I am sorry, but I cannot accept your offer. Thank you very much."

Back in 2002 when we traveled to Baku, we qualified for the final tournament of the Top Teams Cup. It was a big surprise to everyone. We were a young team and we were very anxious to show our best game, and we did! We made it to final against the home team and I remember the final match...

Just walking to the sports hall was spectacular. There were lots of people waiting in front of the arena, and also inside. You could not squeeze a needle through the crowd! The people were dressed in black and gray (mostly men) but they all cheered together, and it was so powerful! We were very impressed with that atmosphere! Unfortunately, we lost the final game 0:3, but the cheering and the energy of the fans really left a great impression on us. With this in mind, I began to think that maybe Azerbaijan is worth a shot? Hmm...

Two days later, the phone rang again...

"Sanja, would you like to come? Because if you don't like it, you can always go back home."

(It sounded fair to me) "Hmmm... OK!" I said, "I will give it a try!"

Of course my family supported me in my decision. They always have and always will. They are amazing! Without their unconditional love and support, I would not be the person who I am today. While my family accepted my decision, it was very interesting to see how other people reacted. I heard reactions like, "Oh no! Why are you going so far away?", "Couldn't you have chosen something closer?", "Are you going there by yourself?", and the funniest of all, "ISN'T THERE A WAR?!?!" (referring to the war in Afghanistan) :))

I remember getting ready, and wondering who and what was waiting there for me. The people I talked with over the phone were kind and friendly. We spoke English, although, in Azerbaijan they speak Russian and Azerbaijani (the latter is similar to the Turkish language). I did not study the Russian language in school, so I was thinking that I could use Turkish, which I learned while playing two years in Antep, Turkey. I figured, if anything, I would be able to ask some basic questions. You know... "How's your day?", "What time is it?", etc. Simple everyday things. ;)

But enough of joking. I am on my trip from Gacko to Belgrade to Istanbul and then to Baku.

I needed an entire day to get there, as if I was flying all the way from Australia, or somewhere far away, where one would expect such a long journey :)

After I do not know how many hours, I have finally arrived! The man I spoke with on the phone was waiting for me (now I know that his name is Shahlar :)) and I went to a hotel to get some sleep and wait for my first training.

When I first met my new team, I greeted the coach and I realized that I could understand Russian perfectly! Who knew! (it is similar to Serbian.)

I started to stretch and a girl came to me (Kyama) to say "Hi". She smiled to me, and I smiled back and I saw that we both had shiny braces on our teeth! :) Haha!

Very soon I adjusted to the team and a month after I had arrived, Bojana Doganjic joined us and that is when our "European adventure", called the Challenge Cup, began. We managed to advance to the quarterfinal stage, but to our dismay, we were kicked out of the tournament because one of our two middle blockers got injured, and we did not have enough players to play. But we did not embarrass ourselves, which was very important.

Another interesting fact is that there was no national league. There were four teams and each played in the European cups, so there was no need for a domestic league.

But, thank God, the problem was soon solved and within a month all teams were playing in the national tournament. The final result? We, Rabita, are the Champions! :)

One year later, many people heard about us, and many more foreign players began to come here. Players from Serbia, Bulgaria, United States, Brazil, Thailand etc. A great bunch of top players. The national league has risen to a higher level and the games have become more interesting. More and more people came to watch us play. In addition to the expanding league, we also now had a new challenge in front of us: the CEV Cup!

We made it to the Final Four of the CEV Cup, which, thanks to our club directors, was organized in Baku. A big event for volleyball and for the city of Baku as well. Another way to showcase the high level volleyball to the people of Baku, who come to watch and enjoy the games. The fans lived up to our expectations and they did not let us down. Do you remember that story about supporters from 2002? :) Now I am happy that they are my supporters, and I also know how the opponent team feels when they play on our court! With our fans it is impossible to play bad! Big thanks to them!

As for me, this is my third year here. The league continues to get stronger. It is much more competitive than before and all of the clubs became even stronger. Any team can win on any given day. Every team is good. As for our team, we are staying strong :) Currently, we are the first in the league, and, with God's help, we will be first at the end of the season. It is easier to win the title than to defend it. I believe in our team, our staff, and people at the club. We can do it! :)

But the most prestigious competition, for sure, is the Champions League. We finished first in the pool of four teams in the first round. Now, we are playing against Prostejov, a team from the Czech Republic. We will do our best to show what we can do! "Inshallah," as they say here ;)

I first came in November 2008. It is now February 2011 and I am still here, and I am happy!

It has been a challenge and I enjoy it!

http://www.azerivolley.com

• Anyone knows if I can watch any Alla Hasanova videos somewhere?

• please, help me !! :sos:
    Yesterday I watched the match from Baku Rabita Modřanská prostejov and heard a very cool song Azeri. It played on the technical time-out.This song is almost always matches in Azerbaijan
    He sang and shouted the man Rabita
    if anyone knows this song please help ?(

• Matches of the 8th leg of the Azeri Super league today LIVE on " Idman Azerbaycan" TV.

The Azerbaijani Super league which had a break of two weeks will restored with the matches of the VIII leg, today in the Sarhadchi Olympic Centre. All the matches will be broadcasted by "Idman Azerbaycan" TV!

* 15:00
    VOLEYBOL. AZƏRBAYCAN ÇEMPİONATI. "BAKI" – "İQTİSADÇI".
    * 17:00
    VOLEYBOL. AZƏRBAYCAN ÇEMPİONATI. "AZƏRREYL" – "ŞİRVAN".
    * 19:00
    VOLEYBOL. AZƏRBAYCAN ÇEMPİONATI. "LOKOMOTİV" – "RABİTƏ".

• Azerrail and Igtisadchi won easily, Rabita was in trouble against Loko...

Yesterday, the pause in the Azerbaijani Super league ended with the matches of the VIII leg.
    In the first match of the day one of three leaders of the ranking Igtisadchi faced renewed squad of "VC BAKI". Three players of "VC SHIRVAN" were loaned to the "Capitals". Adina Aliyeva, Tanya Sabkova and Paulina Gajewska played their first match for BAKI.
    Igtisadchi won this match easily in three sets: (19:25, 14:25, 20:25)
    The best players of the match were: Adina Aliyeva ( VC BAKI) and Riikka Lehtonen ( Igtisadchi)

“Bakı” - “İqtisadçı” - 0:3 (19:25, 14:25, 20:25)

“Bakı”: Mojica (Engle), Alvarez (Stoyneva), Aliyeva, Sabkova, Manzoni-Hasalikova, Oquendo, Gajewska (L)

“İqtisadçı”: Weiss (Castiglione), Haneef-Park, Blom,Lehtonen, Fernandez, Milos, Sano (L)

After this match, outsider "VC SHIRVAN" tried to show its best game against Azerrail with its young and perspective National team players.
    Azerrail started the match with powerful spikes by Rahimova and Pereira Paulino, and closed the first set 21-25. The following two sets Azerrail played more easily and won the match in straight sets. 11-25: 12-25
    The best players of the match were: Jordana Price ( VC SHIRVAN) and Polina Rahimova (Azerrail )

“Şirvan” - “Azərreyl” - 0:3 (21:25, 11:25, 12:25)

“Şirvan”: Ivanova , Zamanova, Prupas, U.Karimova, Price, Abdulazimova, Baghiyeva (L)

“Azərreyl”: Peretiatko (Nootsara), Pereira-Paulino, Rahimova, Hanikoglu, Karimova, Tamas (Petkova), Korotenko (L)

The central match of the leg was the battle between the finalists of the last season. Lokomotiv played against Rabita which was looking forward to take revenge for the defeat in the first round where Rabita was beaten in five sets thriller.
    Rabita started the match without its leader and captain Mammadova. The head coach decided to give a rest to the captain for saving her for the matches of the Champions league Play Off`s.
    Natalya Mammadova has been injured her shoulder and plays with the pain all the matches. Her absence was also good chance for the coach to experiment the squad.
    Rabita Baku started with powerful attacks of Sanja Starovic and Mira Golubovic and led the first technical time out 8-3. Lokomotiv tried to equal the score but incredible Mira Golubovic and Olga Ativi crushed the opponents. 25-14
    The second set Lokomotiv started with the other setter Elena Keldibekova from the Peruvian NT which affected very good in the game of Loko. Nancy Metcalf and Kremena Kamenova joined Kseniya Kovalenko in attacks while Kristin Richards and Nicole Davis were doing great on the back line. 25-13 and Loko equalled the sets score. 1-1
    But Rabita did not want to have the same result as in the first round and began the third set with all the power in every part of the court. Silvija Popovic and Kimberly Glass kept the reception on a high level which gave the chance to the experienced setter Zhukova to play fastly game with Mira Golubovic and Natasa Krsmanovic. Sanja Starovic was nailing the balls in a row on in the court of the opponents. At the end of the set Croatian Marina Miletic and her NT parthner substituted Olga Ativi and Natasa Krasmanovic respectively. Miletic was great on attacks and scored 5 points at the last part of the 3rd set. 25-17 and Rabita led th set score 2-1.
    The 4th set could be the last for Rabita to win and Loko to lose the match.... So,Rabita did its best to close the match while Loko went all out to keep them in the match. Magnificent Mira Golubovic and Sanja Starovic led Rabita and they were very close to finish the match in the 4th set. But Lokomotiv went ahead scoring 5 points in a row from 15-18 to 20-18. Lokomotiv was very good at attacks with American Nancy Metcalf and Azeri middle-blocker Kseniya Poznyak-Kovalenko but Rabita caught the opponents at 22-22. The match was going on with mutual points but Rabita`s spiking hand Sanja Starovic closed the match. 27-25
    The best players of the match were: Mira Golubovic (Rabita) and Elena Keldibekova (Lokomotiv).

“Lokomotiv” - “Rabitə” - 1:3 (14:25, 25:13, 17:25, 25:27)

Lokomotiv:
    Smak (Keldibekova), Metcalf, Richards, Kamenova (Mammadyarova), Parkhomenko (Klimovich), Kovalenko-Poznyak, Davis (L)

Rabita: Zhukova (Nenova), Starovic, Ativi (Miletic) , Glass (Doganjic), Golubovic, Krsmanovic (Delic), Popovic (L)

Igtisadchi 14 (6-2) (20 - 8 )
    Azerrail 14 (6-2) (19 - 8 )
    Lokomotiv 11 (3-5) (12 - 18 )
    VC Baku 10 (2-6) (8 - 18 )
    VC Shirvan 9 (1-7) (4 - 23 )

• Today I watched Lokomotiv-Azerrail game. Azerrail won 3-0.
    First two sets Azerrail played a really impressive game. I watched all six teams in Azerbaijan league and decided that Azerrail plays the best volleyball. All the players for Azerrail were good but if I were to pick a player, that would be Valeriya. She did amazing digs and received well. In the third set Lokomotiv played a more effective game with Kavalenka and Parkhomenko but did not manage to win the set.

Something interesting happened in third set. After a point Rahimova rejected the referee's decision and Parkhomenko (Lokomotiv) argued with her. After a few more points Parkhomenko blocked Rahimova and she directly yelled at Rahimova's face. She looked really angry with her. Well...that happens. It's not that interesting thinking generally. Players even in the same team might do that. (still remember Calderon-Ramirez fight) and I must admit this rivalry made the game more fun to watch. :lol: but that's the first time I witnessed something like that between Azeri players.

• Photos from the match : http://www.azerisport.com/photostory/20110217073406202.html
    Actually in the beginning of the season I think Azerrail will be 4th team , but till now they play good :)

Rabita and Baki : http://www.azerisport.com/photostory/20110217073406202.html

• Today I watched Lokomotiv-Azerrail game. Azerrail won 3-0.
    First two sets Azerrail played a really impressive game. I watched all six teams in Azerbaijan league and decided that Azerrail plays the best volleyball. All the players for Azerrail were good but if I were to pick a player, that would be Valeriya. She did amazing digs and received well. In the third set Lokomotiv played a more effective game with Kavalenka and Parkhomenko but did not manage to win the set.

Something interesting happened in third set. After a point Rahimova rejected the referee's decision and Parkhomenko (Lokomotiv) argued with her. After a few more points Parkhomenko blocked Rahimova and she directly yelled at Rahimova's face. She looked really angry with her. Well...that happens. It's not that interesting thinking generally. Players even in the same team might do that. (still remember Calderon-Ramirez fight) and I must admit this rivalry made the game more fun to watch. :lol: but that's the first time I witnessed something like that between Azeri players.

Well done ;) Thanks!

• from Kimberly Glass's formspring :

"You have played for a couple of teams now. Which one was the most impressive for you? I mean which one did you love the most?"

Kim: "Right now, I love Rabita the most, overseas I've never played with such a wonderful group of girls, collectively and individually..." :thumbup:

• from Kimberly Glass's formspring :

"You have played for a couple of teams now. Which one was the most impressive for you? I mean which one did you love the most?"

Kim: "Right now, I love Rabita the most, overseas I've never played with such a wonderful group of girls, collectively and individually..." :thumbup:

WOW!!! Thank you Kimberly!!! It is just amazing to know that: I am so honoured...

• Martina Nosekova (SVK NT) in Azerrail Baku.

Inessa Birman-Vysotski (ISR NT) in Lokomotiv Baku.

Lloyd + Naz + Wołosz + Hanke + Smutná + Mori
    Bokan + Zakrievskaja + Bricio + Vilponen + Jupïter + A.Lazić + Stepanova + Marković
    Onyejekwe + N.Dimitrova + Crkoňová + de Kruijf + Truškina + Thibeault + Omelčenko + Schauss
    Rourke + Bošković + Fabris + Kajalina + Collar + Simić + Miklai + Vasilantonaki
    Courtois + Venegas + Gaído + Castillo + Gómez + Kiselyova

Edited once, last by valentine ().

• It is good that she doesnt have stereotype thoughts that some western people have ;)

Go Rabita ! :super:

• It is good that she doesnt have stereotype thoughts that some western people have ;)

Go Rabita ! :super:

To tell the truth I liked Kim more after her coming in Azerbaijan...Not only because of her chice, I have learnt more about her,and she is really great c;ever lady!