Azerbaijan Superleague 2010/2011

• Shabovta, Can I watch Azeri League in Turkey! You know Azeri channels are live on TurkSat! You can watch Azeri channels in Turkey! What is the frequency of the channel which live on Azeri League? :drink:

I think Idman Azerbaycan will show our Superleague. This chaneel is on Turksat 1c 42e. I will write exact frequency asap.

• "Bakı" VC adds two new players
    VC Baku is working its way toward putting together a formidable roster for the new season. Recently, the team has added two more new players to its ranks.

Bulgarian opposite hitter Polina Stoyneva, 21, is not a novice in the Azerbaijan Superleague. Last season she was part of the Igtisadchi team that won bronze medals of the national championship. She is also a member of the Bulgarian national team.

Hailing from Texas, USA, Heather Kisner joins Baku as a libero. A former member of the University of Texas at Austin team, Kisner shattered Texas' 20-year-old record for single-season digs. At Baku, Kisner reunited with her former teammate Ashley Engle, who had joined the team earlier.

• There is something about Jana

Native of Bratislava, Jana Matiasovska moved to Azerbaijan from Russia where she was playing under legendary coach Nikolai Karpol. Now a member of Azerrail she graciously agreed to answer our questions about her life outside of volleyball.

Have you had any prior information about Azerbaijan and Azerbaijani volleyball?

Yes, I have - I played in Baku in March of this year with Uralochka at the CEV Final Four tournament. Also, in 2003 I participated with the Slovak national team at the qualification tournament for the 2004 World Championships held here in Baku.

What were your first impressions of the city and your new team?

I find the city very beautiful and interesting, there are several marvelous places I have already had a chance to explore and am looking forward to discovering many more new ones. As for my new team, I love it! I'm indeed very happy to find myself in such great environment.

What do you think about the level of competition in Azerbaijan?

I am very excited about the competition level. A lot of great players from both Azerbaijan and abroad have come here, so I expect a tough season. And a tough season is a challenge every player longs for.

How did your family react when you told them that you are going to Azerbaijan?

My parents were highly supportive of me coming here and I can't thank them enough for their continuous help not only now, but throughout my whole professional career and college life.

How long did it take you to decide on the offer from Azerbaijan?

How long? I made my decision before they finished their pitch!

Have you experienced a language or cultural barrier?

Fortunately I can speak Russian, so I haven't had any problems getting around. I am also trying to pick up some Azeri, so will see how that goes. As for the culture, I found it a great mixture of European and Asian traditions, yet sometimes I worry a little about causing an unconscious faux-pas.

How do you spend your free time in Baku? Do you have any favorite spots?

Free time... well, I like to explore the city and try out local foods. And then of course, I enjoy hanging out with my teammate friends, listening to music or watching a movie together, simply having a good time.

Is there anyone you credit for helping you to become who you are today?

Anyone? I would say everyone! I'm a very eclectic person and try to take something from everyone I meet. However, people who should be credited the most are definitely my parents and couple good friends I've had luck to meet in my life.

Have you already tasted any local dishes?

Yes, I love the local cuisine!

Do you get an extra attention in public?

(laughing) Yes. I guess you don't find that many 198cm girls walking down the street every day, so my presence indeed attracts attention. So far though I have had only pleasant experiences.

Have you ever thought about what are you going to do after you retire from sport?

Yes, every day - alas you never know when is your last day. I have a degree in finance and international business, so I would like to pursue a career in this field, especially financial markets. Yet, I'm hoping to postpone this path for as long as possible!

What is currently on your iPod playlist?

Dance music, I love to dance and music always pumps me up.

What do you do when you get homesick?

I don't get homesick - my "home" is where my heart is and in it I keep everything that's dear to me.

Have you had any chance to experience Baku's nightlife?

Ha! I wish!

• Great step by "VC BAKI": Stacey Gordon joins the team.

Azerbaijani Super league debutant "VC BAKI" did great job signing with one of high level players of the World volleyball, Canadian ex-team player Stacey Gordon
    Stacey Gordon (182 cm, 1982) played in different leagues for the teams like Tenerife Marichal,Eczacibashi, Galatasaray and the others. Her position is outside-hitter. Last season she played for Puerto-Rico`s Toa Baja.

• I really dont know who to support in there..hehehehe, I'm splitted between Rabita and Azerrail. Rabita cause Delic! I really admire her, and Azerrail cause of RAhimova....I'm loving following her, she has an incredible future, and I'm definelty a new fan of her! ^^

• Puerto Rican trio on their way to Azerbaijan

Three members of Puerto Rican national team may soon join Azerbaijani Superleague club- "VC BAKI".

Setter Vilmarie Mojica, outside hitter Sarai Alvarez and middle blocker Alexandra Oquendo are reportedly in negotiations with an Azerbaijani club and according to Humberto Pagan, the Director of International Relations of the Puerto Rican Volleyball Federation, the talks are nearing an end.

The trio was part of the Puerto Rican national team at the recent World Cup in Japan. Moreover, Mojica (right) is also a long-time national team captain.

These three players will join the team camp in Turkey.

• Mojica is more experienced than Engle so it will be interesting to see who ends up starting. Alvarez is probably Puerto Rico's best attacker so I'm sure she'll be a good addition to the team. Oquendo is mediocre and I don't see her contributing all that much. Good to see Puerto Rican players getting out of their domestic league and playing abroad. They've had some pretty forgettable results in the last few international tournaments and this is a positive step for their program to have their players get experience against top-notch competition.

• Mojica is more experienced than Engle so it will be interesting to see who ends up starting. Alvarez is probably Puerto Rico's best attacker so I'm sure she'll be a good addition to the team. Oquendo is mediocre and I don't see her contributing all that much. Good to see Puerto Rican players getting out of their domestic league and playing abroad. They've had some pretty forgettable results in the last few international tournaments and this is a positive step for their program to have their players get experience against top-notch competition.

I think they will really strengthen the team VC Baki which is very ambitious too. Unfortunately they started very late,because they did not know whether they will participate or not. So,they aim to make great team for next season,but I think this season`s team also will be very strong.

• So far how many foreign players will play in Azerbaijan? It's seems like everyday there's a new one :P

Really so many high-level players are coming!!! I guess there are not so many top players in another league. Even having six teams-but all of these teams will be fighting for the title. One of my secret favorites- BAKI VC. With Stacey Gordon,Sanja Tomasevic and the others.

• Canadian National team setter Carla Bradstock joins Shirvan-Guba.

Azerbaijani Super League continues strength its authority transferring many top calls players of their National teams from different countries.
    VC "Shirvan-Guba" of the Turkish coach Adnan Kistak transferred the Canadian National team player, setter Carla Bradstock who played in the last World Championship in Japan.

Carla Bradstock (178 cm, 1985) will be the second Canadian player in this season in Azeri Super League. Before her, "VC BAKI" signed a contract with the star player of this country Stacey Gordon.
    Last season there were two players from the country of the North America. The National team captain Tammy Mahon (she will play in Greece this season) and another NT member Tasha (Sherline) Hollness played for Igtisadchi Baku. Another setter of Canadian NT Larissa Cundy came to Azerbaijan,but could not play because of the injury.

Croatian National team member,middle blocker Ivana Milos ( 187, 1986) in Igtisadchi Baku.

• Vladimir Kuzyutkin: Most of the players prefer to play in Azerbaijan.

The Russian National team head-coach Vladimir Kuzyutkin who made his team the World Championship winner,shared his thoughts about Russian Super league and told some nice words about Azeri Super league.

"We must admit with great regret that there will not be very interesting league in Russia this year. The whole struggle is reduced to the rivalry between two teams. Many top class foreigners trying to overtake our country for various reasons. For example, many people prefer for the same money to play in Azerbaijan - fewer crossings, flights across the country "- he said in an interview to RIA Novosti, reports azerisport.com.

• Three players for "VC Shirvan"

The debutant of the Azeri Super league "VC Shirvan" continues strength the team transferring players from different countries.
    After Canadian National team setter Carla Bradstock and Bulgarian spiker Tanya Sabkova,the debutant of the competition signed with three more players.
    Libero Paulina Gajewska (Poland), setter Simona Ivanova (Bulgaria) and middle-blocker Jordana Price will play for "VC Shirvan" for one year.