Russia - Superliga 2011/2012

• Omichka wins 1st set 25:23 without really doing anything. In fact they were leading 23:18 and then Kazan finally started to play but it was too late. If Kazan can continue the performance of the last 5 minutes they should win easily but before that they weren't in the match at all.

• Borisenko is playing a great game in attack today! Her connection with Sheshenina is really good...in general I think Sheshenina plays better than Akulova today.

And the funniest scene of the match: Makhno's serve would go far out but hits Alisheva who runs behind the receivers to position 1 :lol: :lol: :lol:

3rd set 25:17 for Kazan...

• Strashi looks very strong. I guess she's working-out with big weights. So this guy is light-weight for her)

• Strashi looks very strong. I guess she's working-out with big weights. So this guy is light-weight for her)

She looks very strong indeed ! I wonder why not more players especially in womens game gain some weight in muscles, I mean look at Goncharova and Kosheleva, compare with Strashi, Fernanda Garay, Wang Yimei or Costagrande. Very different body types. I know too much would be horrible because then they cant jump, but I mean, only a bit more than know maybe not hurt, or what do u think ?

• She looks very strong indeed ! I wonder why not more players especially in womens game gain some weight in muscles, I mean look at Goncharova and Kosheleva, compare with Strashi, Fernanda Garay, Wang Yimei or Costagrande. Very different body types. I know too much would be horrible because then they cant jump, but I mean, only a bit more than know maybe not hurt, or what do u think ?

Some 4-5 years ago I've heard an interview where it was saying that Karpol has never given workouts with weights to his girls because he thought that weight-training would badly affect the ability to give birth for the ladies. For me, being a bodybuilding coach, it was purely shocking, something like back to the "stone age" of physiology and sport science in general. So I won't be surprised now if all Russian voley schools didn't practice weight-training. I think it harms the ability of Russian players in the "overall" game, to be great in attack and defence. Goncharova and Kosheleva on their day can be unstoppable in attack, but they don't work very much in defence because they aren't in that great physical shape. It's all IMO of course, I'm not an expert on that, have never worked with volley players.

• She looks very strong indeed ! I wonder why not more players especially in womens game gain some weight in muscles, I mean look at Goncharova and Kosheleva, compare with Strashi, Fernanda Garay, Wang Yimei or Costagrande. Very different body types. I know too much would be horrible because then they cant jump, but I mean, only a bit more than know maybe not hurt, or what do u think ?

For Volleyball it is not important to have big muscles (=look like bodybuilder) but to have good speed strength. For example take Yumilka Ruiz, she was extremely thin and didn't appear to have lots of muscles but still she jumped extremely high and also hit very hard. Having big amounts of muscles works against speed actually. I remember Stelian Moculescu (German male NT ex-coach and coach of Friedrichshafen) once forbade Georg Grozer to do weightlifting because he had too big muscles, he said he needs a Volleyball player and not a bodybuilder.

• For Volleyball it is not important to have big muscles (=look like bodybuilder) but to have good speed strength. For example take Yumilka Ruiz, she was extremely thin and didn't appear to have lots of muscles but still she jumped extremely high and also hit very hard.

I know, she was extremly explosive instead...I understand really big muscles is not needed, but was just wondering more if really skinny players could get better with a bit more muscles. Cause I mean, look at some male volley players that have very much muscles !

• I think we shouldn't compare men and women here) But if we look at Italian, Brazilian, US girls - they all obviously work hard at gym and I think that's the write thing to do to be in tom form.

• I think we shouldn't compare men and women here) But if we look at Italian, Brazilian, US girls - they all obviously work hard at gym and I think that's the write thing to do to be in tom form.

Yeah, it was more that which was my question, if the russians could earn something of to work more like nations u mentioned. I think its a intresting question, and thank u for your answer above Semisonic !

• Indeed, brasilians have a lot of gymn and lift weights work out. Helps to develop the muscles, helping not only in the game itself, but also to prevent injuries. stronger muscles (of course in the right amount, anything exagerated is good) makes less damages to ligaments and articulations.

• I did a comparision of some succesfull brazilian, american and russian volleyball-players in weight, height. Its a big difference between USA/Brazil and Russia in BMI (Body mass index). In WGP 2011, Russia had no player over 80 kilograms. For ex. Logan Tom has the same weight as Gamova, but is 18 cm smaller.

Logan Tom 80 kg 186 cm

Danielle Scott-Arruda 84 kg 188 cm

Heather Bown 90 kg 188 cm

Haneef-Park 88 kg 201 cm

Paola Pequeno 74 kg 184 cm

Fernanda Garay 75 kg 179 cm

Tandara 87 kg 184 cm

Natalia Pereira 76 kg 183 cm

Liubov Sokolova 73 kg 193 cm

Tatiana Kosheleva 67 kg 191 cm

Natalia Goncharova 75 kg 197 cm

Ekaterina Gamova 80 kg 204 cm

• Joana, you're absolutely right!
    Anton, it's funny that you've compared Russians to Americans because Russian tv commentators (especially ex-NT setter Tatyana Gracheva) often do that now. They notice that Americans are always in such good physical shape, they rarely have injuries and it's all due to their work at gym. On the other hand Russian players have a lot of injuries and maybe that's because of the fact that they are so skinny. Here in Krasnodar for exaple two extremely thin NT players are: Kosheleva and Startseva. Compared with Akinradewo and Neriman those two look very anorexic to me and that can't be good I think.

• Evgenija Startseva rehabilitation is finished, and she was back training with the team thursday and friday. First day mostly in the gym but second day did some defense and running. She hopes to be able to jump again in 1,5 week.

• Results 5-8th place round today:

Cherepovets - Khabarovsk 3x0 (25:14,27:25,25:22)

Chelyabinsk - Tyumen 3x0 (25:18,25:11,25:21)

Saratov - Odintsovo 0x3 (19:25,16:25,19:25)

Novyi Uregonoy - Krasnodar 1x3 (25:17,9:25,24:26,18:25)