NEW: Swiss Volleyball League 2012/2013

• Of course! In Switzerland we don’t even have any national TV coverage for both major tournaments organized in our own country, i.e. Montreux Volley Masters and Top Volley International in Basel. How to explain that?

The Swiss National Team will not participate in the World Championships but a couple of foreigners involved in our national championship are singled out in their respective preliminary team rosters: Ana Grbac and Jelena Alajbeg (VBC Voléro Zürich) will play for Croatia. Only two players, what a deception! The result had already been better a few years ago.

• We all know that. Size is not everything. But when you have to smash or to block floating balls, it can be a real advantage to be tall. Traditionally, Swiss players are not that tall but times are changing even in Switzerland. Currently, our National Team is lucky to have some quite tall players in its ranks but the tallest players in our championship are, as usual, foreigners.

LNA (185 cm and more)
    Ann Recht (USA/FKB Volley Düdingen), 202 cm
    Claire Recht (USA/FKB Volley Düdingen), 202 cm
    Ekaterina Skrabatun (BLR/VBC Biel-Bienne), 197 cm
    Aleksandra Petrovic (SRB/VBC Voléro Zürich), 192 cm
    Brianna Barry (USA/Hôtel Cristal VFM), 191 cm
    Mandy Wigger (SUI/VBC Voléro Zürich), 191 cm
    Elizaveta Bracht-Tishchenko (RUS/VBC Cheseaux), 190 cm
    Livia Caluori (SUI/Volley Köniz), 190 cm
    Joana Heidrich (SUI/VC Kanti Schaffhausen), 190 cm
    Nneka Onyejekwe (ROM/VBC Voléro Zürich), 189 cm
    Jillian Baker (USA/Hôtel Cristal VFM), 188 cm
    Lauren Ford (USA/Sm’Aesch Pfeffingen), 188 cm
    Gabriela Koeva (BUL/VBC Voléro Zürich), 188 cm
    Ellen Orchard (USA/VC Kanti Schaffhausen), 188 cm
    Olga Sazhina (RUS/VBC Voléro Zürich), 188 cm
    Emeli Schaffer (BRA/FKB Volley Düdingen), 188 cm
    Patricia Schauss (SUI/Volley Köniz), 188 cm
    Renata Schmutz (BRA/FKB Volley Düdingen), 188 cm
    Mindi Wiley (USA/Volley Köniz), 188 cm
    Olga Zheleznyakova (UKR/VBC Biel-Bienne), 188 cm
    Mariellen Ribeiro Da Costa (BRA/Genève Volley), 187 cm
    Emily Day (USA/Hôtel Cristal VFM), 187 cm
    Ana Grbac (CRO/VBC Voléro Zürich), 187 cm
    Brankica Mihailovic (BIH/VBC Voléro Zürich), 187 cm
    Kerley Becker (BRA/Sm’Aesch Pfeffingen), 186 cm
    Sabine Frey (SUI/Sagres Neuchâtel UC), 186 cm
    Kristin Kelley (USA/Hôtel Cristal VFM), 186 cm
    Indira Mestre Baro (CUB/Sm’Aesch Pfeffingen), 186 cm
    Hélène Rousseaux (BEL/VBC Voléro Zürich), 186 cm
    Joana Winter (SUI/Sm’Aesch Pfeffingen), 186 cm
    Barbara Dégi (HUN/Volley Köniz), 185 cm
    Lindsay Kearney (USA/Genève Volley), 185 cm
    Tijana Malesevic (SRB/VBC Voléro Zürich), 185 cm
    Annik Skrivan (SUI/VBC Cheseaux), 185 cm
    Anouk Vergé-Dépré (SUI/Sm’Aesch Pfeffingen), 185 cm

LNB (non-exhaustive list) (185 cm and more)
    Tanja Hüberli (SUI/TSV Jona), 189 cm
    Martina Halter (SUI/VBC Volleya Obwalden), 188 cm
    Julia Kölle (SUI/VBC Aadorf), 188 cm
    Vera Caluori (SUI/Volley Toggenburg), 187 cm
    Nina Lutz (SUI/Volley Toggenburg), 187 cm

Junior National Team 2010 (185 cm and more)
    Martina Halter (VBC Volleya Obwalden/NLB), 192 cm
    Laura Caluori (Volley Toggenburg/NLB), 185 cm
    Anouk Vergé-Dépré (Sm’Aesch Pfeffingen/NLA), 185 cm
    Vera Caluori (Volley Toggenburg/NLB), 189 cm
    Joana Winter (Sm’Aesch Pfeffingen/NLA), 188 cm
    Tanja Hüberli (TSV Jona/NLB), 190 cm

• Watch the games live on http://www.fromsport.com. It's not always the best quality, but at least you can watch almost every match. Enjoy! If someone needs special information from Pool D in Osaka, send me an e-mail on philipp.schuetz@gmail.com, I'll be working there during Pool phase.

• Yes, unfortunately Swiss volleyball has any problems to get in the supporters idea in its communication. For example, the Federation finally decided to publish a Guide to the Championship separately from its official organ. Previously it was necessary to wait until November to discover all the teams whereas the championship had already started in september. And that only because SwissVolley had not the idea of simply shifting the magazine’s release. Such a guide is not less than the fans’ bible.

So, what exactly is your problem :whistling: ? There is a guide - in my opinion a really good idea with plenty of information about the teams compared to the 6 or 7 pages they published previously in the magazine. So I absolutely don't care if it's published seperately from the magazine. Also the championship calendar is released seperately... And I can download it and print my preferred team pages. And it seems to be updated regularly - which is not possible with a printed version. I'm really happy with this kind of team guide.

I guess it's quite easy to bash everything... Feel free to call directly to the federation. I'm quite sure they are happy about good innovations that helps promoting volleyball in Switzerland. But from my point of view, the federation has the goal to develop every part of our sport, so the NLA is not the only focus (but it's an important one for sure!).
    I think that the clubs have to invest much more into promoting their NLA-Teams and the "High Level Volleyball". THEY have to recruit their fans. THEY have to organize the games much more as events to fill the spectators with enthusiasm. If you just look at all the team's websites - and I'm sure you do that regularly - THAT is really frustrating. Maybe there are some exceprions (e.g. Amriswil, NUC, Köniz...) with regularly updated websites, but most of the team sites are just :wall: So honestly, do you really think that this is because the federation's work is so weak? IMHO, that's just not their problem.

• So, what exactly is your problem :whistling: ? There is a guide - in my opinion a really good idea with plenty of information about the teams compared to the 6 or 7 pages they published previously in the magazine. So I absolutely don't care if it's published seperately from the magazine. Also the championship calendar is released seperately... And I can download it and print my preferred team pages. And it seems to be updated regularly - which is not possible with a printed version. I'm really happy with this kind of team guide.

I guess it's quite easy to bash everything... Feel free to call directly to the federation. I'm quite sure they are happy about good innovations that helps promoting volleyball in Switzerland. But from my point of view, the federation has the goal to develop every part of our sport, so the NLA is not the only focus (but it's an important one for sure!).
    I think that the clubs have to invest much more into promoting their NLA-Teams and the "High Level Volleyball". THEY have to recruit their fans. THEY have to organize the games much more as events to fill the spectators with enthusiasm. If you just look at all the team's websites - and I'm sure you do that regularly - THAT is really frustrating. Maybe there are some exceprions (e.g. Amriswil, NUC, Köniz...) with regularly updated websites, but most of the team sites are just :wall: So honestly, do you really think that this is because the federation's work is so weak? IMHO, that's just not their problem.

I’m very happy with that guide as well. My terms were probably not well chosen. I was just trying so say that we had to wait until 2010 to have it. So, it was really time for them to wake up.

I also agree with you with the fact that the clubs have to recruit their fans and to organized the games more as events. You’re right, I’m visiting the clubs’ websites quite regularly and some of them are really shitty (i.e. Cheseaux, Bienne, VFM). On the other hand, I think that it’s SwissVolley’s work to promote volleyball in its globality and more specificaly NLA. The Federation also has to oblige and/or help the clubs to communicate through the local and national press, internet, to provide stats, etc., etc., etc. Playing in NLA should also give some responsibilities and obligations and requires some professionalism. This guide line necessarily has to come from the Federation.

• I’m very happy with that guide as well. My terms were probably not well chosen. I was just trying so say that we had to wait until 2010 to have it. So, it was really time for them to wake up.

I also agree with you with the fact that the clubs have to recruit their fans and to organized the games more as events. You’re right, I’m visiting the clubs’ websites quite regularly and some of them are really shitty (i.e. Cheseaux, Bienne, VFM). On the other hand, I think that it’s SwissVolley’s work to promote volleyball in its globality and more specificaly NLA. The Federation also has to oblige and/or help the clubs to communicate through the local and national press, internet, to provide stats, etc., etc., etc. Playing in NLA should also give some responsibilities and obligations and requires some professionalism. This guide line necessarily has to come from the Federation.

:drink: I absolutely agree with you! Just one small thing: I think that the clubs (or just a very professional one) could also be more pro-active and improve the whole thing from bottom-up. Top-down management with obligations doesn't work really well - as we can see with the gentlemen's agreement. If there wouldn't have been a club (or a coach) taking the initiative, nothing would have happened and the GA would have been dead.

Let's take Friedrichshafen as a good example. The german federation did absolutely nothing for them, everything was self-initiated (as far as I can see that). And it was their success in promoting the games that forced the other clubs to progress. So, IMHO it's a lille bit the "swiss mentality" just to wait an hope :down:

Just one example: In springtime, Swiss Volley organized a speaker's workshop with Sven Rautenberg, which was really good I guess. But did any of the clubs - even the participating ones - really changed things? Maybe just the one or two clubs, that already have exciting events when they play at home :gone: . So, nothing really happend - and that must be very frustrating even for the federation...

• :drink: I absolutely agree with you! Just one small thing: I think that the clubs (or just a very professional one) could also be more pro-active and improve the whole thing from bottom-up. Top-down management with obligations doesn't work really well - as we can see with the gentlemen's agreement. If there wouldn't have been a club (or a coach) taking the initiative, nothing would have happened and the GA would have been dead.

Let's take Friedrichshafen as a good example. The german federation did absolutely nothing for them, everything was self-initiated (as far as I can see that). And it was their success in promoting the games that forced the other clubs to progress. So, IMHO it's a lille bit the "swiss mentality" just to wait an hope :down:

Just one example: In springtime, Swiss Volley organized a speaker's workshop with Sven Rautenberg, which was really good I guess. But did any of the clubs - even the participating ones - really changed things? Maybe just the one or two clubs, that already have exciting events when they play at home :gone: . So, nothing really happend - and that must be very frustrating even for the federation...

You don’t even have to go as "far" as Friedrichshafen. I think that Voléro might be the an example of a club that perfectly manages communication overall (press, internet, merchandising, sponsoring, etc.). Most of the others do it pretty good as well but at another level related to their small (and not necessarily formed to communication) staff.

I totally agree with the concept of proactivity but that takes time and presumes specific knowledge. Voléro has a person that cares for communication professionally. Smaller clubs simply can’t afford that, especially if they’re relegated to NLB at the end of the season. That’s why I think that the Federation or a Pro League (my dream) should manage the image of the NLA championship.

That last sentence brings to another question. What about a pro league without relegation?

• I've already heard some rumours about this idea... But no relegation doesn't make a team or a club more PRO than before :lol:
    So let's wait and see what happens

No relegation - this "idea" was one of the biggest mistakes in the history of the DEL ( german hockey league). :whistle: Hard to imagine, that it might work with a lot smaller volleyball league. And i do not say that because i might have any disbelief in swiss perfection... ;)

• No relegation - this "idea" was one of the biggest mistakes in the history of the DEL ( german hockey league). :whistle: Hard to imagine, that it might work with a lot smaller volleyball league. And i do not say that because i might have any disbelief in swiss perfection... ;)

In the same time, I never heard about any problem in american pro leagues that don’t know relegation (e.g. NHL, NBA). DEL’s mistake was maybe not to abolish relegation but probably somewhere else. Communication? Sponsorship? Merchandising? Identity? Lack of experience in closed leagues (all sports in Europe, apart from exception, tradtionally have a promotion-relegation system)?

• ... DEL’s mistake was maybe not to abolish relegation but probably somewhere else. Communication? Sponsorship? Merchandising? Identity? Lack of experience in closed leagues (all sports in Europe, apart from exception, tradtionally have a promotion-relegation system)?

Indeed. That's why i wrote "one of the ...mistakes". Furthermore DEL had problems with the german hockey federation - some because of the elimination of relegation. But you mentioned NHL, NBA etc. ... All these leagues have minor leagues below, that work on a good professional level too and NHL teams are pure economical companies. European (hockey or volleyball) clubs are usually not.

• Just one example: In springtime, Swiss Volley organized a speaker's workshop with Sven Rautenberg, which was really good I guess. But did any of the clubs - even the participating ones - really changed things? Maybe just the one or two clubs, that already have exciting events when they play at home . So, nothing really happend - and that must be very frustrating even for the federation...

I attended that speaker's workshop, it took place during the Swiss Cup Final. And then we all went and watched the Finals, and saw the 2 guys animating the match doing just everything wrong - exactly the opposite of what Sven told us to do.
    As far as my club goes (I'm the speaker, so I should know), we have really tried hard to upgrade our club now that we are in LNA. But the investment is enormous. We must find tens of people to help. We actually really need professional administrative help, and managing the NLA team is nearly a full time job, done by the president and two committee members on their poor free time.
    It will just never last if we can't build something on the long term. And if we go down again, we'll loose all the benefit of the work we will have built up. Therefore, in small leagues like Swiss LNA, I think that a professional league in which you buy your entrance ticket, with no relegation, is absolutely necessary. If 12 team register and fulfill the conditions, then let there be 12 teams. If there are 15, then 15.
    The uncertainty of staying in the top league is killing us. How can we expect partners to bet on our staying up in the conditions there are now ? Even Bienne is registering all of a sudden new foreign players despite their past trend. We have no certainty whatsoever to be able to build on what we are trying to put up this year. And all there might be left if we go down is a sheer loss of time.
    That would be really too bad.

• NLA – 5th round (23.10.2010)
    FKB Volley Düdingen vs. VBC Voléro Zürich 0:3 18:25 17:25 11:25
    Sm’Aesch-Pfeffingen vs. VC Kanti Schaffhausen 3:1 22:25 28:26 25:23 25:20
    VBC Cheseaux vs. Hôtel Cristal VFM 0:3 15:25 20:25 23:25
    Volley Köniz vs. VBC Biel-Bienne 3:0 25:22 25:18 25:20
    Genève Volley vs. Sagres Neuchâtel UC 1:3 13:25 25:23 16:25 23:25

NLB East – 5th round
    Volley Toggenburg vs. VBC Galina Schaan 3:0
    VBC Schaffhausen vs. VBC Aadorf 3:2
    VB Therwil vs. TSV Jona 3:0
    Volley Lugano vs. VBC Glaronia Glarus 3:1

NLB West – 5th round
    VBC Cossonay vs. VB Fides Ruswil 1:3
    Volley Köniz Future vs. VBC Ecublens 2:3
    VBC Val-de-Travers vs. VBC Volleya Obwalden 3:0
    VBC Steinhausen vs. FC Luzern 3:1

• NLA – 6th round (24.10.2010)
    VBC Biel-Bienne vs. Genève Volley 1:3 16:25 25:21 15:25 21:25
    VBC Cheseaux vs. Sm’Aesch Pfeffingen 0:3 18:25 23:25 13:25
    Hôtel Cristal VFM vs. Volley Köniz 2:3 19:25 25:22 25:22 23:25 13:15
    VC Kanti Schaffhausen vs. FKB Volley Düdingen 3:1 25:23 25:19 11:25 25:10
    Sagres Neuchâtel UC vs. VBC Voléro Zürich 2:3 25:20 16:25 25:23 16:25 13:15 (650 spectators)

• Not bad at all! After 6 rounds, the classification perfectly fits your prediction.

• This issue should be addressed by the Federation - like the use of the video is now. Furthermore, the affluence should be issued in the results information also.
    I completely agree with Philipp - either we have all the information or we have none other than what we can collect ourselves. This information should also serve for "MVP" designation, etc.
    Nevertheless, despite how eager I would be to manage that, I recall it wouldn't be easy - not all teams can provide professional management for statistics. Clearly statistics becoming public would help promote our players also.

Of course stats would be great but I was not that optimistic ;-) I was just thinking of total points per player.

• I can easily imagine that VBC Biel-Bienne (Voléro’s farm team) and VBC Voléro Zürich itself were drawing much hope from the arrival of the Belarussian Ekaterina Skrabatun in the Bernese team. But after Biel’s clear defeat to Genève Volley, it will need much more than an third foreign recruit to save VBC Biel-Bienne from relegation, i.e. not less than a miracle. That’s really bad news for Voléro that perhaps bet on the wrong horse as a priviledged strategic partner.

• Not all the teams are lucky to have official cars. But those who have are driving the following models (to be updated):

VBC Voléro Zürich: Mercedes-Benz.

Volley Köniz: 5 Volvo V50.

Sagres Neuchâtel UC:

VBC Cheseaux:

VC Kanti Schaffhausen:

Sm’Aesch Pfeffingen:

VBC Biel-Bienne:

FKB Volley Düdingen:

Hôtel Cristal VFM:

Genève Volley: none.

• This is a (real) example of operational budget structure of an NLA team (in CHF).

Costs:
    Renting halls: 10’000.-
    License: 5’000.-
    Refreeing: 12’000.-
    Championship: 11’000.-
    Transportation: 10’000.-
    Administration: 10’000.-
    Players: 100’000.-
    Foreign players: 100’000.-
    Coaches and staff: 50’000.-
    Camps, tournaments: 12’000.-
    European Cup: 40’000.-
    Total: 350’000.-

Incomes:
    Membership fees, subscriptions: 50’000.-
    Canteen: 30’000.-
    Events: 20’000.-
    Championship folder: 10’000.-
    Sponsoring: 240’000.-
    Total: 350’000.-

A few thing are interesting. First of all, costs and incomes are balanced. Does it mean that it’s impossible to make money with volleyball? Does every single earned cent really just cover the costs?

Secondly, the added salaries of 2 foreign players are as high as the added salaries of several Swiss players. Well, it’s true that Swiss players are "only" students or semi-pro players. So it’s difficult to compare.

Thirdly, my own contribution represents 120.- (season-ticket)