Italy - Serie A1 2015/16

• yeah..i checked the stats and saw she made 6 errors in 22 balls!!!

Not sure about the ball but I guess she will improve. Kelsey Robinson, a regular OH made 8 receiving errors this week so I assume most players are not in their best shape yet. Though I am really glad with Gözde's attacking performance! If Karsta joins the party, then I'm sure they will get better results.

• So it's not just me. Last season whenever I sold a player or took a player out of starting line-up she started to play great and the one I put in screwed up :aww:

:D Guiggi's absence screwed me...

• has the ball being used in italian league changed ? why so many passing errors ? is this normal?

They can't keep statistics. There are more reception errors than serve winners.

---

This is my superficial take on serie A, also for the benefit of volleycountry internationals.
    Day 1 confirmed some of my feelings about the season, which is already advertised as "high-quality", "unpredictable", "difficult", "exciting". Let's see which teams will fight for what.

Vicenza have the worst team on paper and should be relegated. They made a crucial mistake when they substituted the local setter who signed out with a foreign setter, thus removing one foreign spiker from the lineup; starting their Young Italian reserve is a viable solution.
    I feel sorry for Partenio. The rest, as of now, is barely serie A material.

Club Italia: can they force some 5-set matches and sneak off with the win? Perhaps they will, but their season isn't about the team so much as it is about the single players and their development.
    Bonitta is fan of Malinov, Orro and Egonu and showed it already.

Bolzano started the transfer market late and with limited resources. Anyhow, the roster is made with purpose and has kind of an international appeal.
    Thanks to under-20 WC Mvp Martinez, and former olympic champion Mari who, if healty, is an above average talent.

Firenze changed little and in selected roles from last year, maybe not always for better. They aren't immune from the "whatever young european setter will work" syndrome.
    Turlea is a legend, Calloni is their best local player, Ninkovic and Vanzurova are the top summer transfers.

Montichiari mostly confirmed a roster that proved to be more than good enough for a safe survival. The changes aren't obvious upgrades.
    They need Gioli to drink the elisir of long life, and Dalia, Brinker, Tomsia to be on top of their game like last season.

Scandicci is an interesting team, a band of discontented players. The coaching staff will be working with a different skill set from last year's.
    Stufi is the fan favorite. Merlo, Fiorin, Nikolova, Rondon had their moments in the past seasons, so did Toksoy in her home country.

Busto Arsizio deserves to make the playoffs because they made a bold decision: they traded their "A"team and have invested on young players -together with a specialized coach- who may be making their big break. Not sure if they can mantain a high level of play in such a tight competition.
    Hagglund, Lowe and Gozde Y. are gifted athletes and more or less established, how they adapt only time will tell; Degradi and Thibeault have a decent serie A experience.

Modena felt the urge to change. A lot.
    Diouf is the linchpin of the offense, Folie Heyrman and Bertone patrol the middle, but Ferretti, Di Iulio, Horvath and Arcangeli are the security blankets for this ambitious team.

Bergamo, after the talks of shutting down (more of a cry for help, and the help finally came) is a whole new team, with sophomores and veterans. A step closer to the ancient Foppa in terms of budget and expectations.
    Lo Bianco's comeback is both useful and symbolic. Gennari is quietly becoming a star. Barun, Plak, Sylla can score points.

Coaches and players, when asked about the best teams, tend to agree on the following - although admittedly it is hard to pick a single favourite because so many teams can beat one another.

Casalmaggiore will need to find a new balance for a starting six that is comparable to the scudetto Champions but with a major difference at the setter position. Increased depth will help for the (hard) CL pool.
    The solid-as-a-rock roster includes Lloyd, Stevanovic, Gibbemeyer, Kozuch, Matuszkova, Tirozzi, Sirressi and Piccinini; the Italian volleyball diva is always an asset when it comes to weekly serie A matches.

Novara - regular-season winner and Coppa Italia defender - adopted a new style of play and also added more depth for CL purposes. Gone are the big lanky OHs, they brought in backrow-oriented receivers.
    Fabris will carry a big load alongside Malesevic, Cruz, Bosetti C. The Group of players from this summer's Italia NT includes Sansonna, Guiggi, Chirichella, Signorile.

Conegliano must blend two groups together: the one coming from the USWNT and the Italians. Many players are (currently or usually) among the world elite at their position, making this team an early contender.
    Glass isn't available from the beginning so there is Bechis running the offense. The other starters definitely are De Gennaro, Adams, Arrighetti, Robinson, Hodge and Ortolani (once again teaming with coach/husband), but many others can and will have playing time even with no European cups.

Piacenza have infamously attempted a revival of Yama circa 2012, which isn't a bad idea if all the insiders agree on the potential of this CL wildcard.
    Ognjenovic is one of the most acclaimed setters. If she lives up to the hype, Sorokaite and Meijners will be free to attack with Marcon and Leonardi Handling receiving duties and Bauer, who will need to shake off the rust.

---

A reminder: Fantavolley cup, with season-long teams and scores, starts next weekend. Week 1 was a one shot, with a Samsung smartphone as #1 prize.

• Can someone explain me how did 4 foreign players were in starting six for Bolzano ? Ikic(Cro)-Martinez(Dom), Brcic(Cro)-Mari(Bra) ??

• The rule is pretty simple. At least 3 italians MUST be on court. Manzano, Paris and Garzaro are the italians for Bolzano for example. Sirressi, Piccinini and Tirozzi for Casalmaggiore.

• The rule is pretty simple. At least 3 italians MUST be on court. Manzano, Paris and Garzaro are the italians for Bolzano for example. Sirressi, Piccinini and Tirozzi for Casalmaggiore.

Ahaa, I thought that rules are same like in Turkish league. Thank you :)

EDIT: Brčić played so boring volleyball in 1.set, She didn't make mistakes but it was only opp and OHs, yeah they had bad reception but could sets more to MBs, but in 2.set She played so good and She used a lot MBs.
    Can't believe that Grbac played as starter and we have Brcic :wall:

• Vicenza have the worst team on paper and should be relegated.

Really? The worst team? I don't like Kitipova but Wilson and Popović aren't bad MBs. I really like Arielle Wilson. Bianka Busa is still young player but she's really good receiver IMHO. Marta Drpa has ups and downs but I hope she will improve her skills in Italy.

• Really? The worst team? I don't like Kitipova but Wilson and Popović aren't bad MBs. I really like Arielle Wilson. Bianka Busa is still young player but she's really good receiver IMHO. Marta Drpa has ups and downs but I hope she will improve her skills in Italy.

I think Drpa has more talents in photography than volleyball :rolleyes:

• Any links for Casalmaggiore-Bergamo? :D

Edit : found by myself.

• Kozuch is playing very well so far, I think Lloyd is the perfectest setter for her as she's proving in Busto and now in Pomi :D

• What an ugly end :whistle:
    Bergamo's fighting spirit was very exciting to see, especially Aelbrecht, the energetic woman supporting her teammates all the time. Barun saved her team by her serves.