2015 NCAA Division I Championship - Omaha / Nebraska - 12/17

• Here are the second day of Second Round matches

Second Round (32 teams)
    Austin, Texas Regional
    Los Angeles-I Sub-Regional Second Round at UCLA, December 5, 2015
    14 UCLA (25-7) def. Michigan (20-13) 3-2 (23-25, 24-26, 25-22, 25-20, 15-11)

Des Moines, Iowa (at the Wells Fargo Center) Regional
    University Park, Pennsylvania Sub-Regional Second Round at Penn State University, December 5, 2015
    7 Penn State (28-5) def. Dayton (27-6) 3-1 (25-17, 13-25, 25-14, 25-17)
    College Station, Texas Sub-Regional Second Round at Texas A&M University, December 5, 2015
    Hawaii (28-1) def. 10 Texas A&M (24-7) 3-0 (25-22, 25-19, 25-20)
    Louisville, Kentucky Sub-Regional Second Round at University of Louisville, December 5, 2015
    Illinois (21-12) def. 15 Louisville (25-7) 3-1 (15-25, 25-22, 25-18, 27-25)
    Minneapolis Sub-Regional Second Round at the University of Minnesota. December 5, 2015
    2 Minnesota (28-4) def. Marquette (22-12) 3-0 (25-23, 25-13, 25-21)

Lexington, Kentucky Regional
    Seattle Sub-Regional Second Round at the University of Washington, December 5, 2015
    5 Washington (30-2) def. Michigan State (19-14) 3-1 (25-17, 20-25, 25-21, 25-13)
    Columbus, Ohio Sub-Regional Second Round at Ohio State University, December 5, 2015
    12 Ohio State (25-9) def. American (28-7) 3-0 (25-23, 25-11, 25-17)
    Provo, Utah Sub-Regional Second Round at Brigham Young University, December 5, 2015
    13 Brigham Young University (BYU) (28-3) def. Western Kentucky (32-4) 3-0 (25-23, 25-17, 25-20)
    Lincoln, Nebraska Sub-Regional Second Round at the University of Nebraska, December 5, 2015
    4 Nebraska (28-4) def. Wichita State (27-9) 3-0 (25-19, 25-19, 25-14)

San Diego, California Regional
    Omaha Sub-Regional Second Round at Creighton University, December 5, 2015
    16 Creighton (27-8) def. University of North Carolina (UNC) at Chapel Hill (21-10) 3-1 (30-32, 25-18, 25-18, 25-14)

Third Round (16 teams) December 11, 2015
    Austin, Texas (at the University of Texas) Regional
    3 Texas (27-2) vs. 14 UCLA (25-7)
    11 Florida (24-6) vs. 6 Wisconsin (26-6)

7 Penn State (28-5) vs. Hawaii (28-1)
    Illinois (21-12) vs. 2 Minnesota (28-4)

Lexington, Kentucky (at the University of Kentucky) Regional
    5 Washington (30-2) vs. 12 Ohio State (25-9)
    13 Brigham Young University (BYU) (28-3) vs. 4 Nebraska (28-4)

San Diego, California (at the University of San Diego) Regional
    1 USC (32-2) vs. 16 Creighton (27-8)
    9 Kansas (28-2) vs. Loyola Marymount (LMU) (24-8)

Hawaii upset seeded Texas A&M (SEC Champ), Loyola Marymount also upset seeded Stanford and Illinois defeated seeded Louisville (who also lost to Illinois in their opening match of the year)
    The Des Moines Regional is basically a Big Ten mini tournament, but the other Regionals should be very interesting with different conference mixes.
    Big Ten has 6 and Pac-12 has 3 of the remaining 16 teams in the tournament. There is a reason they get so many spots in the tournament, it is because they are the toughest conferences. West Coast Conference and Big XII (Twelve) have 2 each.

• I wonder which "dinosaur" will advance. ;) Russ Rose (Penn State coach since 1979) or Dave Shoji (Hawai'i coach since 1975)? In any case, quite a contrast to the "hire and fire" of coaches in the professional leagues nowadays. There seem to be many long serving head coaches in the NCAA. Also more female head or assistant coaches than in the professional leagues. I like that. I also have the impression from reading interviews with female players, that the Americans are a bit more interested in a future coaching career than the Europeans. Maybe because they have these role models, whereas in Europe female coaches in the highest divisions are still rare.

• Third Round (16 teams) December 11, 2015
    3 Texas (28-2) def. 14 UCLA (25-8) 3-1 (23-25, 25-22, 25-10, 25-20)
    11 Florida (25-6) def. 6 Wisconsin (26-7) 3-2 (25-17, 25-23, 19-25, 22-25, 15-12)

Hawaii (29-1) def. 7 Penn State (28-6) 3-0 (25-22, 27-25, 25-16)
    2 Minnesota (29-4) def. Illinois (21-13) 3-0 (25-22, 25-23, 25-17)

5 Washington (31-2) def. 12 Ohio State (25-10) 3-2 (23-25, 25-20, 25-18, 12-25, 15-8)
    4 Nebraska (29-4) def. 13 Brigham Young University (BYU) (28-4) 3-0 (26-24, 25-17, 25-23)

1 USC (33-2) def. 16 Creighton (27-9) 3-1 (25-27, 25-16, 25-16, 25-18)
    9 Kansas (29-2) def. Loyola Marymount (LMU) (24-9) 3-1 (25-19, 25-11, 21-25, 25-13)

Fourth Round (Quarterfinals) December 12, 2015
    3 Texas (28-2) vs. 11 Florida (25-6)

Hawaii (29-1) vs. 2 Minnesota (29-4)

5 Washington (31-2) vs. 4 Nebraska (29-4)

1 USC (33-2) vs. 9 Kansas (29-2)

Florida blew a two-set lead against Wisconsin, but took the five set to play Texas, who they beat in 4 sets earlier in the year.
    Texas lost the first set against UCLA, but took the next three with a dominant 3rd set allowing the Bruins only 10 points.
    Can Texas overcome their loss earlier in the year in their home gym against Florida? Who they are playing again in their home gym, with much more on the line?

Hawaii defeats the mighty Penn State in straight sets! Hawaii was not given much respect by the tournament committee even with only 1 loss by sending them on the road in the first and second rounds. The last time the Rainbow Wahini went to the Final Four was in 2009, so a win over Minnesota will get them there.
    Minnesota Big Ten champs, defeated Illinois for the second time this season, in a close match. The Golden Gophers are looking for their first championship and the last time they went to the Final Four was also in 2009.
    This should be a good match after Penn State's loss.

Nebraska also had a close match with BYU, winning 2 sets by 2 points. They have not been to the Final Four since 2008 and they would love a chance to play down the road in Omaha (Nebraska).
    Washington survived a odd-five set match. The first two sets were fairly close, but the final three had big swings Washington by 7 in the 3rd, Ohio State by 13 in the 4th and the Washington by 7 in the 5th. With first year Keegan Cook, Washington did not lose anything and are one win away from going back to the Final Four for the first time in two years (2013).

Southern California lost the first set against Creighton, but just outplayed them in the final 3 sets to beat them for the second time this year. USC has been the most dominant team all year and they are looking to get back to the Final Four for the first time since 2011. I think they will get there with Samantha Bricio leading this team.
    Kansas probably should have won their match in three sets last night (outscored them by 26 points in 4 sets). Kansas has been hard to read this year, they had an easy out of conference schedule, couldn't beat Texas in conference (their two loses) and were much better than the rest of the conference. This match against USC will be their grade for the year, were they a great team or a good team. Texas is the standard in the Big XII (Twelve) and Kansas is below them. Kansas has never reached the Final Four.

I'll be driving down the road to watch Washington and Nebraska this afternoon. All of the other matches will be on ESPNU in the states from 4 PM Eastern (Washington vs. Nebraska starts at 4PM), and 2.5 hour intervals for the other quarterfinal matches.

• Fourth Round (Quarterfinals) December 12, 2015
    3 Texas (29-2) def. 11 Florida (25-7) 3-2 (22-25, 25-22, 25-19, 20-25, 17-15)
    The first set was very close, but a mini-run at the end by Florida gave them the set win. In the second, Texas took the lead at 4-3 and never gave it back to even the set count at 1. In the 3rd set, Texas got a 5-4 lead and pushed it as far 6 points, which Florida could not overcome. For the 4th set, Texas had a 4 point lead at 15-11, and Florida scored 6 straight to lead 17-15, three of which were service aces. Texas fought back to tie at 18 all, but a four point run gave Florida the lead back and they held for the win.
    The 5th set started tight with neither team getting more than a 2 point lead. At the side change Texas lead 8-6 and pushed their lead up to 11-7. Florida then scored the next 5 to make it Florida 12-11. Texas quickly tied with a bad set by Florida. Both teams traded points until 15-15, then Texas got two kills by Paulina Cerame to win the set 17-15 and the match.
    Cerame finished with 20 points for Texas (18 kills, 2 blocks (1 solo + 2 double)), while Florida’s Rhamat Alhassan finished with 22.5 points (19 kills, 3.5 blocks (7 double))

2 Minnesota (30-4) def. Hawaii (29-2) 3-1 (25-18, 25-13, 24-26, 25-21)
    In the first set, Minnesota got out to quick five point lead, but Hawaii brought it back within 1 at 9-8. However the Golden Gophers pushed the lead back up to 6 with five straight points. Hawaii could not overcome that deficit. In the second Minnesota started out 4-0, and just kept the pressure on without a Hawaii response to easily win the 2nd set.
    The third set was very close, with neither teams getting more than a 2 point lead the entire set. Hawaii played much better reducing their errors and looked to have turned their game around with the 3rd set win.
    Hawaii kept their momentum to start the 4th set, getting a 4 point lead at 7-3. But Minnesota worked hard to get the score tied at 11. Hawaii jumped back out to a 3 point lead at 18-15, but Minnesota could not be stopped on offense and Hawaii’s hitting errors helped push Minnesota to the win.
    Minnesota’s Daly Santana was awesome with 26 kills, 5 errors on 48 attempts, hitting a ridiculous .438 as an outside hitter. She also had an ace and 1.5 blocks (3 double blocks)
    Hawaii’s Nikki Taylor tried to match Santana 23 kills, 11 errors on 58 attempts (.207 hitting) with 2 aces and 1.5 blocks (3 double blocks). However, she was Hawaii’s only player in double figures.
    Minnesota dominated the net with 12 blocks to Hawaii’s 4, let alone 7 hitting errors to 25 for Hawaii.

4 Nebraska (30-4) def. 5 Washington (31-3) 3-1 (25-17, 21-25, 25-20, 25-21)
    This match had long rallies, but Nebraska got out to and early lead in the first set and never let it go. In the second, Washington got up, then Nebraska pulled ahead, but late the Huskies got a five point run, which gave them a 3 point lead 22-19 and then held to complete the second set.
    In the third set, the Huskies got out to an early lead, but Nebraska brought it back even. As the teams continued to trade points, at 16-16 Nebraska got 3 points in a row to make it 19-16, and then 4 straight just after that to take the set.
    Nebraska surged early in the 4th set to a 4 point lead, and Washington never got closer than 3 for the rest of the set.
    Nebraska’s twin Kadie Rolfzen (outside hitter) and Amber Rolfzen (middle blocker) led the team in scoring with 21 points (1.0 blocks) and 14.5 points (1 ace, 4.5 blocks (1 solo + 7 double) respectively.
    Washington’s Lianna Sybeldon led the Huskies with 18 points (3 blocks (6 double))
    The CenturyLink Center in Omaha is just an hour’s drive from the campus in Lincoln, so the crowd will be in red and cheering on the Cornhuskers to win at home.

9 Kansas (30-2) def. 1 USC (33-3) 3-2 (25-18, 25-21, 22-25, 19-25, 15-13)
    Kansas overcome leads by USC in the first and second sets to win them both and scare the #1 seed. In the 3rd set, USC jumped out to 9 point lead, but Kansas could not get it any closer than 1 point. In the 4th set, USC jumped out to a 3 point lead and then pushed it 8 points, and cruised to the set win.
    With everything to play for in the 5th set, USC pushed out to a 4-0 lead. Kansas brought it back a 1 point lead at 5-4. USC extended the lead to 4, up 13-9. But Kansas won the next 6 points (1 setting error, 1 block, 1 ace and 3 kills) to win the match and go to the Final Four for the first time.
    USC’s Samantha Bricio led her team in scoring with 27 points (25 kills, 1 ace, 1 block (2 double)). But she was not as efficient hitting with 11 errors on 76 attempts (.184 hitting). Bricio for the year was a .299 hitter, so Kansas decided to force other players to score, which they couldn’t. (4 players over 10, but only one got to 12)
    Kansas’s Kelsie Payne was worse than Bricio with a .159 hitting percentage, but the team had fewer hitting errors than USC.
    USC had the win right in front of them, but they could not get out of one rotation in the 5th set.

Semifinals (at the CenturyLink Center in Omaha, Nebraska) December 17, 2015
    9 Kansas Jayhawks (30-2) vs. 4 Nebraska Cornhuskers (30-4)
    3 Texas Longhorns (29-2) vs. 2 Minnesota Golden Gophers (30-4)

Championship (at the CenturyLink Center in Omaha, Nebraska) December 19, 2015
    Semifinal winners

• Nice to see Daly Santana in such shape, hope to see her in Puerto Rican NT as OH next to Cruz, Rosa and Enright :roll:

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• The first match between Texas and Minnesota will start at 7 PM Eastern, -5 hours GMT/UTC

The second match will start at 9:30 PM Eastern or 30 minutes after the first match (whichever is later)

• Semifinals (at the CenturyLink Center in Omaha, Nebraska) December 17, 2015
    4 Nebraska Cornhuskers (31-4) def. 9 Kansas Jayhawks (30-3) 3-1 (25-20, 25-21, 20-25, 25-16)
    This was the second match and played in front of a pro-Nebraska crowd (match in played 1 hour down the road from Lincoln, where the University of Nebraska is located). The largest crowd in NCAA history for this match 17,551. It was not at as high a level as the first match. Nebraska won this match at the service line and at the net. Nebraska had 5 aces, with 4 service errors, while Kanasas had one ace and 9 service errors. Nine points difference right there in Nebraska’s favor. At the net, Nebraska had 11 blocks to Kansas’s 9. Also Nebraska had 10 fewer hitting errors (20, still very high) compared to the 30 for Kansas. Kansas’s middle blocker Kelsie Payne had one of the oddest stat lines, 22 points, all kills, no blocks of any type even net touches. She was unstoppable spiking, but didn’t provide any help on defense. Nebraska spread their scoring around with 4 players with more than 10 points, led by Kadie Rolfzen. Nebraska is looking to win the title for the first time since 2006, which was played on Nebraska's home court.

3 Texas Longhorns (30-2) def. 2 Minnesota Golden Gophers (30-5) 3-1 (26-24, 27-25, 23-25, 25-21)
    A match with lots of long rallies and was very close. The Longhorns return to the Championship Match for the first time since 2012. Texas’s Amy Neal led all scorers with 25.5 points (25 kills, 0.5 block (1 double block)). In a battle of Puerto Rican Outside Hitters, Daly Sanchez of Minnesota and Paulina Prieto-Cerame of Texas basically were a draw. Sanchez with 21 kills, 7 errors on 50 swings (.280) and Prieto-Cerame with 19 kills, 6 errors on 47 swings (.277). Sanchez overall for the season was Minnesota’s highest scoring player and was able to score with hard swings, off-speed shots and tips. However, Texas basically told her, we are ready for your tips, so you have to swing away. Texas won the battle with her. Texas’s Yasmeen Bedart-Ghani was basically unstoppable 15 kills on 24 swings. The one error she made was on a tip that didn’t make it over the net for a hitting percentage of .583! Plus she had 1.5 blocks (3 double blocks). Minnesota’s Hannah Tapp was great in the middle and seemed to be unstoppable with the slide. Without her, this match is not as close. Texas’s setter Chloe Collins was great, 16 digs and still 64 assists, and throw in 2 kills, 1 ace and 0.5 block (1 double block)) as well. Minnesota is only losing Sanchez from their team, she is a senior so Minnesota should be an early season favorite to get back to the Final Four next year.

Championship Match (at the CenturyLink Center in Omaha, Nebraska) December 19, 2015 at 7:30 PM Eastern (-5 UTC) on ESPN2
    4 Nebraska Cornhuskers (31-4) vs. 3 Texas Longhorns (30-2)
    Texas beat Nebraska in Austin early in the season 3-2. I would have them as a slight favorite over Nebraska due to that win, but the crowd will be behind the Cornhuskers, in what should be the largest crowd to watch an NCAA match.

• What about the final?

Texas beat Nebraska in Austin early in the season 3-2. I would have them as a slight favorite over Nebraska due to that win, but the crowd will be behind the Cornhuskers, in what should be the largest crowd to watch an NCAA match.

• Nicole Fawcett | What it Means to Play in the DI NCAA Volleyball Championships
    I was lucky. Not only was I able to win a National Championship, I won two. By no means were either one of those easy, especially the last. Underdogs often can pull an upset because there is no pressure to win. The pressure always lies on the shoulders of the team who is supposed to win. Not only because many ‘expect you to win,’ but many also want to see the ‘better’ team fall.

I don’t really remember a lot about the finals in the NCAA, but I remember a lot of the losses, and the struggles that came with getting to that point. I remember my freshman year, losing in the Sweet Sixteen, 19 kills 19 errors and the feeling of failure not just because we lost, but because for the seniors, their careers were over. I remember losing in the Elite Eight, wishing that I could take back some moments in hopes that the outcome would have been different. I remember making it to the final four and no one thinking we were capable of winning. I remember the stress that Christa and I had my final year because no one wants to be that team that beats everyone in the season, and not pulling it off when it matters the most.

It sounds morbid. At the time, it kinda was. But I look back on it and I see how it shaped our team and more importantly, how it shaped me. Sure, I can say that I have won two national championships, but personally, I am more proud that I can be placed in those situations again and handle them the way I wish I did in the first place.

The NCAA is such a cool thing to be a part of because you are not only playing volleyball for something bigger than you, you also are learning life lessons that will stay with you forever. You are pushed past the uncomfortable point and then you REALLY learn the true importance of team work.

This is the first time that you have had to truly juggle your life without the help from mom and dad and still perform to the best of your ability. Everyone has a different experience, but not one person will tell you they didn’t learn anything from it. THAT is what makes the NCAA so special for me. It’s not the destination, but the journey.

I have been blessed to be able to still apply much of what I learned in that journey with the people who taught me. I never thought that I would one day have the chance to play with the people that I always played against, and a few I did play with.

Being on the USA team with them has been awesome. I still get to learn every day from them, and know I get better because of who they are not only as a player, but a person as well. That is the greatness that encompasses the National team. We embrace all of it, and I still remind a few of them of the rings I have, sitting nice and pretty at home.

Enjoy every moment, the little things will be your fondest memories!
    source: sportcourt.com

• Championship Match (at the CenturyLink Center in Omaha, Nebraska) December 19, 2015
    4 Nebraska Cornhuskers (32-4) def. 3 Texas Longhorns (30-3) 3-0 (25-23, 25-23, 25-21)
    Nebraska used the largest crowd in USA history to watch a volleyball match to proper them to win their fourth national championship over the Texas Longhorns.
    Texas could not pass a ball to help their offense on serve receive. And even worse, Texas could not force Nebraska to pass poorly with their serves. Texas really focused their offense through Amy Neal and Paulina Prieto-Cerame tonight, but combined they had 21 kills, 11 errors on 71 attempts (.141 hitting percentage). Yasmeen Bedart-Ghani was just as dominant as she was in the semifinal for Texas with 11 kills, 1 error on 20 attempts (.500 hitting percentage). However, it seemed that Texas forgot about her, which could have swung the match.
    For Nebraska, freshman Mikaela Foecke was great with 19 kills, 4 errors on 39 attempts and leading her team in scoring with 19.5 points (0.5 block (1 double block)). She was named the most outstanding player of the tournament. Amber Rolfzen played a big part as well for Nebraska with 10 kills on 16 attempts and 2 blocks (4 double blocks).
    This match was very close in the first two sets, with neither team getting more than a 3 point lead at anytime. Even in the 3rd set, Nebraska had a 4-point lead at 17-13, which was cut to 1 by Texas. But Nebraska then went on a 4 point run to make it 21-16 and Texas could not get any closer.
    Nebraska may not have won the Big Ten, but they’ll take the more important trophy.