HeeelMooi's late 90's / early 00's video thread

• Naah could do that as well... whatever people prefer

If copyrights are not problem, it will be better in youtube for promoting Netherlands volleyball, many more people will be able to see them. Of course, you can make it both in Youtube and Megaupload, since other people may use the videos to make highlights or other clips :)

• Here is a clip of Netherlands vs Bulgaria from 98. It's pretty short. Not sure what it is from, but I think it might be Euro or World qualification in 98': http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5MPQV3KR. It has Konstantinov, Ivanov and Davilov (really strong opposite). Holland has Christina, Lathuhihin, Nummerdor, Schuil, Gortze and Bas an de Goor.

Thanks for the upload, but I can't get a picture of the match I tried different players - KM and GOM and it doesn't work. Any suggestions?

• No problem.

VLC player works for me and even media player.

• This one is esepcially for our friend in Belgium: Richard. Roeselare vs Maaseik in 98 I believe. Line ups include:

Roeselare: Ron Zwerver, Martin an der Horst, Steven Shitu and the other three Belgians I can't remember.

Maaseik: Wijsmans as opposite, Steve Smith, Vital Heynen, Franky Reimen and others.

Now Wijsmans was a lot younger, but to say he wasn't yet as good as he is now is perhaps not as accurate.

Ron Zwerver obviously was getting old, but still powers some nice spikes in. Steven Shitu has a nice jump. So without further ado:

part1
    Part2
    Part3
    Part4
    Part5

• Thanks a lot, man! You know me well.
    I think a remember this game (there was hardly any volleyball on national tv, so you couldn't let an opportunity like this pass by).
    I think, that season, Maaseik finished third in European Cup I (beating Belgorod).

I'll start downloading right away, thanks again (and keep'em coming)!

• No problem.

I youtubed it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlM_spUDlsI

• No problem.

Thanks, it's working now. :)

• Cool thanks

Watch my channel, I will put another games of yours and other game I find

• Yeah thanx a bunch man, it's cool to see so many people are watching and to read the comments.

Anyone have anythign to say about the matches? What do you think of Wijsmans?

Richard: Yeah you're right, I remember waiting till the match finally came on TV, it was a real treat. It's weird, back then it was so ahrd to watch volleyball, which I why I taped everything that was on... which is why I have the 38 tapes of volleyball now. And now there's so much to watch that it's impossible to find time for it all :P Yeah Maaseik did really well in the champions league that year, which is not surprising with a team like that. I remember Marko Klok played great as outside hitter the finals later that year. Also have a summary of that somewhere. Also I remember Kevin Barnet playing for Maaseik back then, but he must've been injured for this match.

• The Belgians are Stijn Coene, Kris Tanghe, Dennis Van Calster (libero) and Walter Engelen. (I downloaded it)

• Anyone have anythign to say about the matches? What do you think of Wijsmans?

Richard: Yeah you're right, I remember waiting till the match finally came on TV, it was a real treat. It's weird, back then it was so ahrd to watch volleyball, which I why I taped everything that was on... which is why I have the 38 tapes of volleyball now. And now there's so much to watch that it's impossible to find time for it all :P Yeah Maaseik did really well in the champions league that year, which is not surprising with a team like that. I remember Marko Klok played great as outside hitter the finals later that year. Also have a summary of that somewhere. Also I remember Kevin Barnet playing for Maaseik back then, but he must've been injured for this match.

It's great to see young Wijsmans again. He's currently 33 I think, so he's not the explosive type of player he used to be.
    Shittu is pretty impressive as well (he returned to the Belgian league this year at age 37 to play for Averbode - he did pretty well).
    Also remarkable to see how both coaches are hesitant to bring in the libero players in the back field.

You're right about Kevin Barnett and Marco Klok. Both were not in that game, because that years - 1998 - World Championship was still going on.
    With those 2, Maaseik had one of the strongest line ups ever: Heynen, Wijsmans, Roex, Reymen (2 fantastic middle blockers), Kevin Barnett, Steve Smith and Klok as a libero (to replace Brinkborg).

I'm not sure about Zwerver's age at that time, but he looks a bit worn out, after all those years playing every major tournament with the Dutch team and 6 tough years in Treviso.
    The best Zwerver, I think, is the one that dragged a handicapped Duth team, practically on his own, to the semi-finals of the 1990 World Championships, taking serve reception in all positions and getting an insane amount of sets.

Thanks again for sharing this game.
    Curious to see what comes next.

• njvhaeck: yeah that's right, thanks for naming.

Richard: Would love to see those matches of Zwerver. Or I've seen all of your matches, not sure if that included 90 WC. Yeah Wijsmans was extremely explosive.. cool to hear Shitu is stil playing.
    Yeah weird how they don't use the libero, cool to see Van Der Horst run pipe attacks though.

I still have Netherlands vs Spain during WL99 on DVD here and the rest is still on VHS, not sure what to do next. Was thinking Neterland's epic match agains France to qualify for the Sydney Olympics and some matches/summaries from the olypics themselves. Or some ECH 2001... or old champions league.. the biggest problem is actuall finding the material on the 36 tapes... Oh and I have a summary of Poland's match where they beat Holland at the first qualfication tournament for Sydney.. it was the first show of strength from the Polish team since a long time..

• No Bas van de Goor in this one :( But a good Martijn Dieleman on the opposie position for Holland and an always spectacular Gortzen. One the side of Spain there's no Pasqual, but a very strong de la Fuente and Vega.

Part1
    Part2
    Part3

Ufortunately the match does not start at the beginning of he first set and does not end at the end of the last. Not sure if I have the tape showing the ending, but I'm sure I couldn't find it.

• No problem at all.

Here's another one for ya, quality isn't that great, but it's alright. It's Hollad in the World League Finals against Cuba. Not sure which years this is, try to find out, but couldn't. But somewhere between 2001 and 2004.

The Cuban tea has Dennis (as OH) and Marshall as opposite playing together :) Gortzen was out for the Netherlands, but there's a very strong Schuil and Nummerdor. Hope you guys enjoy.

Cuba vs Netherlands WL Finals

Youtube version

• I'll finish uploading matches (summaries, but longer than the last one) from the WL finals. But after I would like to know which match you guys would be most interested in:

- Netherlands vs France qualification for Sydney 2000. Epic Epic match!!! personally my favorite match. After 1996 Holland had been underperforming and was continuously humiliated by teams wich usually were weaker, but because they'd be facing the olymic champions they'd play their best volleyball. Because of this Holland officially did not qualify for the Olympics of 2000 :( But then they were granted one more chance... and just before the tournament they finally got their form back! The actual tournament was like an explosian of revenge for all those years of humiliation.. no team was gonna stand in our way anymore. Gortzen was SO powerful, Schuil was unstoppable, Blange was a true leader and Bas van de Goor was his phenomenal self (he had been the only player that played up to his level in the last years). Still sends shivers down my spine. So the match I have is the final against France... which has a great Grandvorka.

- Then I have a great Netherlands vs Czech Repulic ECH 2001 (whole match).

- And finally I have ECH 2001 Poland vs Italy.

• Alright :) see what I can do.

Here's long sumary of Netherlands vs Italy WL Finals. Italy playing with Fei as powerful middle blocker, Giombini as opposite and Bernardi as OH.

Netherlands vs Italy part1
    Netherlands vs Italy part2