2008 CHINA WOMENS NATIONAL TEAM CONVOCATION (2007.12.24)

• china NT has just completed the Liga A 2007-08 last Saturday. Tianjin Bridgestone Club stompped National Army Club by consecutive 3-0, 3-1, 3-1 to win the best of 3 matches. this is the sixth Champion title of Tianjin since the season of 2001-2002. A new convocation to prepare for the Beijing Olympic Games is about to begin on Jan. 1st, 2008. a 19 player roster has been announced on the 24th of December (Xmas Eve) by China Volleyball Association, in which added 2 young but talented outside hitters: Hui Ruoqi (192cm, 15 years old) and Zhao Yanni (187cm, 19 years old). However, it seemed that the widely-concerned news was the Return of Olympic MVP Feng Kun and the best Blocker, the tallest player in China NT Zhao Ruirui (197cm) after their treatment and Recovery in USA.

the first period of convocation with 14 players was determined yesterday.

all the info of those 14 Players as followed:

Setter (2):
    Feng Kun 183cm 1979 Beijing
    Wei Qiuyue 182cm 1988 Tianjin

Opposite (2):
    Zhou Suhong 182cm 1979 Zhejiang
    Liu Yanan 185cm 1980 Liaoning

Outside Hitter (5):
    Wang Yimei 191cm 1988 Liaoning
    Yang Hao 183cm 1980 Liaoning
    Li Juan 187cm 1982 Tianjin
    Zhao Yanni 187cm 1988 Sichuan
    Hui Ruoqi 192cm 1991 Jiangsu

Middle Blocker (4):
    Zhao Ruirui 197cm 1981 Army
    Xue Ming 194cm 1987 Beijing
    Xu Yunli 196cm 1987 Fujian
    Ma Yunwen 190cm 1986 Shanghai

Libero (1):
    Zhang Xian 167cm 1985 Yunnan

apart from the above 14 players, Zhang Yuehong (OH), Song Nina (S), Chen Yao (MB), Li Shan (Oppo), Zhang Na (L), completing the 19 Roster, will not attand the convocation this time.

(News Source: Pappi)

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• Needless to say that they have everything to be the OG champions again :huh:
    Almost all the team taller than 190cm and younger than me (and I'm young) :S

• so surprising that chen yao didnt make to the Nt cos she is the 2nd best blocker in the league, yeah, the coach loves tall girls ?(

• PG, you are really confident in Chinese Team...

I don't support the Chinese team, but if I had to bet on the champion, it would be in them...
    Not that they are unbeatable, but I don't think there is a team that is big enough (right now) to beat THIS chinese team...

• I don't support the Chinese team, but if I had to bet on the champion, it would be in them...
    Not that they are unbeatable, but I don't think there is a team that is big enough (right now) to beat THIS chinese team...

you have the point, lothie, but i am not so sure that china is strong enough to beat brazil and italy

feng kun just recovered, so is ruirui zhao; anf this year, i guess china is trying to have 2 spikers to receive, lets see what will happen in 08 Gp :huh:

• hen[/quote]so surprising that chen yao didnt make to the Nt cos she is the 2nd best blocker in the league, yeah, the coach loves tall girls ?([/quote]
    Chen Zhonghe said he must take everything into account and there are some other things to determine the results. It is common in China. Zhang Yue hong said she is thinking of retiring.

• so surprising that chen yao didnt make to the Nt cos she is the 2nd best blocker in the league, yeah, the coach loves tall girls ?(

Having such a tall team can be very dangerous to china, because tall girls are generally slower and don't receive good. And we all know that the strategy of China NT is based on quick play.

But since he is the coach I think he does understand volleyball 10000000000000000... times more than me.

Anyway I disagree with him on having Yan Liu as opposite and not as MB. In this way Zhou Suhong and Yan Liu cannot be on court on the same time. :(

P.S. colossus, I'm happy you have returned. :)

• China Women's National Team Fans, I have ONE QUESTION that I am very concerned about...Please TELL me where is Ping Zhang #18???? She is MY FAVORITE player...She is so quick and her signature moves (i.e. her quick fake hops and everything)...Don't tell me they kicked her off the NT Team...and don't tell me she is injured...but I need some infomation about her...thank you...#18 Ping Zhang's Fan!!

• Anyway I disagree with him on having Yan Liu as opposite and not as MB. In this way Zhou Suhong and Yan Liu cannot be on court on the same time. :(

P.S. colossus, I'm happy you have returned. :)

hi, samba, yeah, i'm back, give me a hug :)

by the way, liu yanan is chosen to play opposite cos her reception is good and play differently, if you have seen the russian yeltsin cup

her play was unbeliebably quicker than zhou :)

• China Women's National Team Fans, I have ONE QUESTION that I am very concerned about...Please TELL me where is Ping Zhang #18???? !!

sorry, rice, she is currently undergoing recovery at home cos she had a surgery in germany months ago

thats the price the head coach to play cos he used zhang ping to play the whole year in 2005 even though she was injured and had knee problems

but ma yuen wen is the replacement of zhang cos Ma is a "macro-version" of zhang though not as versatile in attacks :)

sorry, rice, she is currently undergoing recovery at home cos she had a surgery in germany months ago

Hmmmm...So does that mean she won't recover in time for the 2008 Olympics? I rather see Zhang Ping play over Ma...I don't know, I'm never a fan of Ma...I'm just sad to hear that Zhang Ping is injured...I just hope she will be abled to be put on the TEAM for 2008...She's just so fast...and China is known for quicks...So having Zhang Ping makes perfect SENSE...

• Hmmmm...So does that mean she won't recover in time for the 2008 Olympics? I rather see Zhang Ping play over Ma...I don't know, I'm never a fan of Ma...I'm just sad to hear that Zhang Ping is injured...I just hope she will be abled to be put on the TEAM for 2008...She's just so fast...and China is known for quicks...So having Zhang Ping makes perfect SENSE...

actually, she had those injuries before the 04 OG, but she endured all the pain to fight for the OG

after 04, she should get treatment but the coach kept using her, so....

but the coach prefer tall girls, and that makes sense for him as well cos european teams are so tall and zhang ping is only 187cm short

in terms of attacks, Ma needs to have more varied attacks like zhang ping, thats no denying of that, you know zhang ping was the best attacker in the final :)

• you have the point, lothie, but i am not so sure that china is strong enough to beat brazil and italy

feng kun just recovered, so is ruirui zhao; anf this year, i guess china is trying to have 2 spikers to receive, lets see what will happen in 08 Gp :huh:

2 spikers to receive....that never happens....Coach Chen got Yanan Liu as Opposite in order to strengten the protection capacity...Both Liu and Zhou are good receivers, either of which will release one spiker...

moreover, Liu can be a special defender as well..

to be me...

but the coach prefer tall girls, and that makes sense for him as well cos european teams are so tall and zhang ping is only 187cm short

I thought Zhang Ping was taller than 187?...

WAIT, so does this means Zhang Ping will still be playing after her recovery? she just won't be playing at Beijing 08 Olympics? MAN, I hate this...I really do...Zhang Ping is so awesome...I hope she gets a miracle and the coach will put her in for Beijing 08...LOL haha...well thanks for the infomation...ALL these time, I was just so curious as to why I haven't seen Zhang Ping but now I know, she's just at home recovery...Well, pray for her because she is just so awesome to NOT play volleyball...

2 spikers to receive....that never happens....Coach Chen got Yanan Liu as Opposite in order to strengten the protection capacity...Both Liu and Zhou are good receivers, either of which will release one spiker...

hey Pappi, could you explain this more...I'm kind of confused...isn't Opposite means that he/she is opposite of the setter? as for my understanding, the setter is Feng Kun...so the Opposite is either "Liu or Zhou"...and I think Zhou is the current Opposite...so ultimately, that means Liu will have to SIT out until Zhou gets injured...I don't think you can have 2 opposites on the court at the same time...and I don't think Chen (the coach) ever substitute Zhou out when she rotates to the back because she has great defense skills...Also, I thought that Liu used to play Middle Hitter position...and she works well with Zhou doing the double quicks to the right...anyway, could you explain more on this...I really want to know if China's WHOLE formation will change for the 08 Olympics...

• well....exactly...liu and zhou are opposites...normally, only one of them can be the opposite to setter....but sometimes, liu doesnt need to stick to the bench until the coach's calling up...she has good defence and reception, she can substitute some back-zone player with poor defence

besides, zhou and liu both has chance to make their starting line-ups, which depends on their physical condition, adversary's characteristics and tactic requirements.

well....exactly...liu and zhou are opposites...normally, only one of them can be the opposite to setter....but sometimes, liu doesnt need to stick to the bench until the coach's calling up...she has good defence and reception, she can substitute some back-zone player with poor defence

besides, zhou and liu both has chance to make their starting line-ups, which depends on their physical condition, adversary's characteristics and tactic requirements.

to be me...

Edited once, last by pappi ().

• i am sure Chen is determined to take 4 blockers including RR Zhao to Beijing, which means Liu can be only Oppo. or Special defender this time...

to be me...

• I don't know if we can even call Zhou Suhong and Yan Liu as opposites. Well, they both play opposite to the setter, but the conception and duties of chinese opposites are completely different from that of European ones. In my opinion they are universals or special players. They receive and defend, they attack differently from european opposites.

Anyway, the strategy and the beauty of Chinese volleyball is in my opinion the best. The Asian school was always beautiful to watch. Unfortunately now Japan and South Korea are on a low level, and China is recovering from bad years. The European/Russian one is a more raw school, the Asian one is more sophisticated.

If China regains their stability and beauty, they can win the 2008 Olympics.