Recommendations for Weekend Travel

• My 21 year old son will be studying in Luxembourg the next five months. He will be staying with a family in Luxembourg City and the school is in Differdange.

He will be free most Friday afternoons through Sunday night and is looking forward to traveling with some of his classmates to a different city-country on many weekends . He will have a Europass and could maybe can afford inexpensive airfare for some trips. He is already planning on traveling to Italy during one of his breaks and will go to Greece the week after his finals.

Suggestions anyone?

• well some cities i would visit:
    Amsterdam, Berlin, Krakow or Wroclaw, Prague, Vienna, Some Italian Cities like Firenze Milano or Rom, then he can go to France and check Marseille out. After that straight to paris and then back to luxembourg :D

what an eurotrip :D

• Szczecin :D

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• then he can go to France and check Marseille out. After that straight to paris

Hum, I'm not sure I'll be checking Marseille first. I dont think this is the kind of city you can enjoy just for 1 WE.

In Luxembourg he is going to be very close from Strasbourg (about 150 miles) which is a very nice place, and the capital of Alsace, one of the nicest regions. (don't forget to taste the wine: Gewürztraminer, Riesling, Sylvaner, and so on, belong to the tastiest French white wines).
    Nancy (about 100 miles) too is a very fine place (voted most pleasant city of France in 2006 by an important news magazine), and I've been told many times that Lille (a little bit more than 200 miles I think) is a greet city too.
    There are plenty of nice cities in Belgium too (Brussels, Bruges, Antwerp ...) and the best beers of the world ! :heart:

In France, after Paris among the most touristic region are:
    - Loire Valley (with castles like Chenonceau, Chambord, Villandry, cities like Blois, Amboise, and my birthplace: Tours).
    - Brittany (hard to point a city out, but Vannes and the gulf of Morbihan are beautiful. On the north shore, St Malo the old corsair city and the Mount Saint Michael (technically speaking in Normandy, but half of the bay is in Brittany) is the most visited monument out of Paris and it's vicinity. I'm currently living in Nantes former Brittany capital. It's a nice city too. ^^
    - French Riviera (Nice's airport is the second in France after Paris. So it may be easier to fly there than to other French regions.)
    - Lyon: French capital of gastronomy. Nice city, good food and good wines.

Others regions have some interest (especially in the south) on different basis. Bougogne, Champagne or area around Bordeaux for wines (but not only). Southwest (Including Toulouse, arguably the most dynamic city in France) for the food, Alps and Pyrenees for the landscape and winter sports...

• - French Riviera (Nice's airport is the second in France after Paris. So it may be easier to fly there than to other French regions.)

I've never been in France, but my aunt went to Nice and absolutely loved it. She also liked Cannes! :thumbsup:

• She also liked Cannes! :thumbsup:

That's a good place for volleyball ! ;)

• He will have a lot op traveling options here from Luxembourg...

First of all he can visit our small country, there is a lot to see and many nice places... our capital, the south an the north.

For longer trips he can start at Luxembourg by train (TGV) to visit for example Paris. Or he can go by bus (for only 5€) to the airport Hahn an travel around with Ryanair for London, Barcelona, Riga, ....

If he want's to play volleyball, I could ask a few clubs here ...

Enjoy Luxembourg,
    Francis

If he want's to play volleyball, I could ask a few clubs here ...

Thanks. I will mention this to him. He has been playing year round since he was 13. He currently plays on his university club team but their regular season will be occuring while he is in Lux.

He will probably be busy with traveling during his free time but he does love to play volleyball and may be looking to get into a gym some afternoons/evenings for a change of pace.

• Tell him to NOT visiting Izmir :D

"Every volleyball player is a little bit psychopath, there are no normal people who want to voluntarily dedicate their life to this sport"
    Plamen Konstantinov