World Grand Prix 2008

• http://youtube.com/watch?v=OM-UnDbJU2A Japan-USA Match. Short Clip

"[size=8]It's years and years of work and sacrifice and dedication. Along with a lot of these girls, we've sweat and we've bled and we've cried together in past Olympics. It just brought tears to my eyes, & I'm more than thrilled. This will be forever." -LOGAN MAILE LEI TOM (Silver Medallist - 2008 Beijing & 2012 London Olympic Games, 2011 World Cup runner up, 2003 & 2007 World Cup 3rd place, 2002 World Champs runner up, 4-time World GrandPrix Champs)

• I'm happy with the way Brazil played today. After the first two matches of the Grand Prix, against Thailand and the renewed German team, I didn't like Brazil's performance, but against the complete Chinese team it was a nice surprise to see Brazil playing a much better volleyball, in spite of the loss.

In fact, during the tie-breaker, when the set was 3-2 for China, Zhao Ruirui, if I'm not mistaken, attacked a ball and touched the net and the referees overlooked the Chinese team infraction and gave China its 4th point. Brazil's players seemed to have lost their concentration after that. Having noticed that, Zé Roberto called a time-out immediately, but the Brazil's girls kept on making mistakes and China took the lead 10-4. After a second time-out, in which Zé Roberto advised Carol on the best way to distribute the ball to the attackers, Brazil started a reaction and tied the tie-breaker 12-12. After a great service of Sassá, Wang used Brazil's blocking to score the 13th point of China, and after that, in and odd jump serve (she seems to have made a mistake while throwing the ball before hitting it to serve), she served and ace, giving China its 14th point. Brazil was able to score its 13th point but China took the set and the match in the following point.

Sheilla's performance was below the expectation, but as she has been Brazil's top scorer in the season, I think it was just a bad day for her. Just a night to forget. I liked the way Carol played today. After the third round she's still leading the statistics of best setters.

Jist, I totally agree with you. I strongly believe that if Fofão hadn't joined Brazil's team in 2006, Carol would have improved a lot more than she did in the last 4 years. Letting her play just as a reserve player is not enough to transform her into an international level setter. Carol is showing her potential, but she should have been given more chances, I'm pretty sure she would have been playing a lot better if she had been in the World Cup roste last year. Anyway, although she is leading the WGP ranking of best setters, her performance is still subjected to too many ups and downs. As regards the future setter of Brazil's Team, it is common knowledge that both Dani Lins and Ana Tiemi are the strongest candidates to replace Fofão in the National Team when she retires. Tiemi is younger and taller, but Dani Lins has been playing more and her sets are quicker and more precise.

• Article from http://www.volleyball-verband.de

The DVV- Women finish the first prelimiary round of the Grand Prix in Ningbo (China) on the 3rd rank. China, which won in the last match against Brazil 3:2 (22:25, 26:24, 22:25, 25:22, 15:13) took the first place.

One victory and two defeats - thats the balance of the german volleyball team at the first playround of the Grand Prix 2008. For reaching the 3rd rank the german team gets a prize money of 20.000 US- Dollars.

"We are able to be satisfied with all matches", says coach Giovanni Guidetti. "We played 2 sets against China on the same level, against brazil even 4 sets. Both are teams, which will play for the Goldmedal at the Olympics. Im not disappointed that we lost. Just playing good is not enough to win against these teams."
    Against Thailand the Italian registered the claimed victory. "We wanted to win desperately. It was hard work, but we made it."

On Monday the German Team will travel to Vietnam. In Vinh Phuc the second Playround with matches against Turkey, Kazakhstan and Brazil is scheduled. Afterwards the journey continues to Bangkok (Thailand), where the 3rd playround will take place.

Results are not that important for Guidetti still. "Of course we try to win every match and reach the final round. But the most important thing is, that our young players can play matches on high quality. If we present ourselves well, im satisfied"

• DOM-POL 3:2

Kasia Gajgał 10 blocks :what:

I thought, that they would win unless against Dominicana Rep. Tough luck. I hope it will be better next weekend in Wrocław. They didn't play that bad and I'm glad with Kaczor performance. She might be useful for this team.

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• Italy beat Cuba in 3 sets - 25-23, 27-25, 27-25.

Italy and Cuba played their possible Olympic Line up with Italian's Guiggi, Aguero, Gioli, Piccinini, LoBianco,Del Core.

Looks like Italy is the team to beat in the Olympics... :mad:

"[size=8]It's years and years of work and sacrifice and dedication. Along with a lot of these girls, we've sweat and we've bled and we've cried together in past Olympics. It just brought tears to my eyes, & I'm more than thrilled. This will be forever." -LOGAN MAILE LEI TOM (Silver Medallist - 2008 Beijing & 2012 London Olympic Games, 2011 World Cup runner up, 2003 & 2007 World Cup 3rd place, 2002 World Champs runner up, 4-time World GrandPrix Champs)

• WGP 2nd Weekend

italy departs for Hong Kong China today, with the only slight change: Fiorin out, Cardullo in....

it seems Barbolini has formed up the strongest squad to face Japan, Cuba and China, although barazza is still absent.

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• Although the Italian team defeated Cuba in straight sets, the match was really tough. All the sets were decided by the minimum difference of point and what's more: the last two sets were decided in the extra-points.

It seems the Cuban team will also be a very strong team these Olympic Games.

The truth is: the mental aspect and luck will play a major role these Olympic Games. There are at least 8 teams who can win this tournament: Italy, China, Russia, Brazil, USA, Cuba, Serbia and Poland. In the match against China, for example, Brazil could have won in straight sets, which was very close, Brazil was leading 23-21 and made some stupid mistakes. The matches against the US were very close as well.

These Olympic Games are unpredictable. It will depend on how well the players of each team will be on the day of the match, it will depend on the right strategy each team will use, it will depend on the team that will commit less mistakes, it will depend on the team that will take more chances.

In Russia we have Sokolova, Gamova, Artamonova, Merkulova, Alimova and Sheshenina. They already showed what they are capable of! If all the players were physically well and mentally well prepared. It will be hard to beat the Russian Team. The same happens to the Italian Team: one cannot discard the Italian team as a candidate for the Olympic Gold Medal with players like Lo Bianco, Aguero, Gioli and so on. When it comes to the Chinese team, the exact same thing happens: how come a team with players like Zhao Ruirui, Kun Feng, Wi Mey Yang, Hao Wang and etcetera can lose the Olympic Games? As regards Brazil the situation remais the same: Fofão, Fabiana, Walewska, Paula, Jaqueline, Sheilla, Mári, Sassá and Fabi have the potencial of winning the OG as well as the Cubans, the Poles, the Serbians and the Americans.

I insist: what will decide the Olympic Games will be strategy, tactics, physical and mental condition, team work, luck and confidence will be as important as the individual technique of each player. Many teams are preparing to the OG since the 2005 season, there are a lot of factors involved, and many things will change till August. To my mind, from the quarterfinals on, everything can happen.

The golden medal quest has started! I can't tell who's the favourite to win the OG title, at least so far.

• I soo agree with you Celso...

Olympic games are very unpredictable, the strategy of the coach, the best combination of players, the "fatigue factor", the injuries, everything will be part to decide the winner.

Its easy to predict the 8 teams that will make it to the quarterfinals, but whats difficult and unpredictable is from the quarterfinals on. It will not only be about how good a team is, but the mental toughness will play a big part.

Thats why some teams opted their top players to rest (Brazil - Fofao, USA- Tom Nnamani, Poland- Glinka Skowronska, Japan - Araki, Italy - short playing time for Aguero, etc).

So i expect that the next week's grand prix team line up will most likely be the same, or will change a bit.

• Almost the same line up for the US in Poland except for Logan Tom playing while Jennifer Joines will be back in Colorado Springs to train. No Ahmow-Santos, Sykora, Nnamani or Busse.

• Watching Zhao Ruirui after 4 years of absence..here are my thoughts: She played okay for me. She is more of a thinking player than a powerful one. And she is still baby-faced. :lol:

• Almost the same line up for the US in Poland except for Logan Tom playing while Jennifer Joines will be back in Colorado Springs to train. No Ahmow-Santos, Sykora, Nnamani or Busse.

this leg we can see TomTom la :drink:
    add oil TomTom :lol:

• Is there anyone out there who can get close to the Cuban team and manage to interview their coaches? We'd like to know how their preparations for Beijing are going and what their outlook is. Also why is there instability on the outside hitter position opposite Ruiz? How do they explain their defeat to Italy? They haven't won a set against them since last year.

• Poland team for weekend in Wroclaw

Joanna Frąckowiak, Katarzyna Gajgal, Karolina Ciaszkiewicz, Magdalena Godos, Agnieszka Bednarek, Anna Woźniakowska, Anna Barańska, Milena Rosner, Agata Sawicka, Joanna Kaczor, Katarzyna Skorupa, Berenika Tomsia.

no sadurek and dziekiewicz,
    anybody know why, what hapening with polish team,
    ok i understand you have to rest best players for OI,
    but this is home weekend and i asume that home crowd wants at least some of the best players.
    and wants victories, and i think it will be very closed matches with dominican rep.(last week 3-2 for dominicans) and usa who also not with best squad,
    with thailand probably no problem , but never knows with polish this year.

• Bonitta needs to check other players. And because they play at home, they will do their best. But I wish Dziękiewicz would play :(

The most important 3:

• och bad news for me... I was really looking forward to see Lena again and now i read this...
    But im sure that the time in Wroclaw will be worth it anyway.... Rosner, Baranska and Bednarek are there at least :D

• och bad news for me... I was really looking forward to see Lena again and now i read this...
    But im sure that the time in Wroclaw will be worth it anyway.... Rosner, Baranska and Bednarek are there at least :D

Wear something interesting or take transparent "Inside volley" with you, so that we could easily find you, when we will be watching games in TV :D

The most important 3:

• Turkey-Germany:3-1 (25-21)(25-22)(25-27)(25-18 ) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :drink:

• Turkey-Germany:3-1 (25-21)(25-22)(25-27)(25-18 ) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :drink:

Nice revange for Euro 2008 semi-final :thumbup:

The most important 3:

• BRA def KAZ 3-0 (25-10, 25-17, 25-19)

Nice lineup for the Brazilians. Valeskinha is out, replaced by Caroline Gattaz.

1st Round:
    Blockers: Thaisa, Fabiana
    Setter: Carolina
    Libero: Fabi
    Spikers: Sassa, Jaqueline
    Opposite: Sheilla

In the 3rd round, Carol replaced Fabiana, Paula replaced Jaqueline.

Thaisa is the star player of the match. 17 points. she has 7 blocks.

I like the combinations of Ze Roberto.

Sometimes, he puts Mari & Sheilla at the same time, Mari for Paula as Hitter, then on the next match Mari replaces Sheilla as Opposite.