Olympic Games Beijing 2008 - Qualification Phase

• Beijing berth ready to be contested in Portugal as FIVB confirms Olympic Games’ Drawing of Lots for June 11 in host city

Portugal will hope captain Joao Jose plays a major part at the Men's World Olympic Qualification Tournament in Espinho

Lausanne, May 27, 2008 – One of the final three places available in the Men’s Olympic Volleyball Tournament will be decided this weekend in Portugal.

Indonesia, Poland and Puerto Rico will join their Portuguese hosts in the round-robin tournament from May 30 to June 1 at the Nave Municipal de Espinho, with the winner qualifying for the 2008 Beijing Games.

The FIVB, meanwhile, can confirm that the Drawing of Lots for the Men’s and Women’s Olympic Volleyball Tournaments is scheduled to take place in Beijing on June 11 from 2-4 p.m. local time in the Press Conference Room of the Capital Indoor Stadium, the main Volleyball venue during the Summer Games.

Under the supervision of FIVB officials at the public session, the 12 National Teams in each tournament will be divided equally into Pools A and B.

The final two places available at the Beijing Games will be decided at the Men’s World Olympic Qualification Tournament in Tokyo, Japan, from May 31 to June 8, with the winner of the tournament plus the best Asian team (even if the winner is Asian) qualifying. Japan hosts Algeria, Argentina, Italy, Australia, Korea, Iran and Thailand, in the event that doubles up as the Asian Olympic Qualifying Tournament.

The Espinho event is set to be as close as the other recent Olympic qualifiers. World No. 5 Poland met Puerto Rico in FIVB competition in the 2006 World Championship in Japan, beating them 3-1 in Pool A Preliminary Round action.

The Polish made it to the Final of the 2006 World Championship before losing to Brazil and finished fourth in the 2007 FIVB World League, while Puerto Rico, ranked No. 8 in the world, impressed when claiming sixth place at the 2007 FIVB World Cup.

Indonesia are a young, up-and-coming team, while the promising Portuguese have the advantage of playing at home.

Espinho is situated on Portugal's north-western coast in the Aveiro province about 18 km south of the city of Porto. It is a popular holiday town renowned for its long stretch of sun-kissed beaches and excellent selection of seafood restaurants.

Germany booked their first appearance in the Olympic Games since Munich 1972 by winning last weekend’s Men’s World Olympic Qualification Tournament in Düsseldorf.

Brazil, Russia, Bulgaria, Egypt, Serbia, USA and Venezuela had already secured their tickets for the August 10-24 Men’s Olympic Volleyball Tournament through the FIVB 2007 World Cup or Continental Qualification Tournaments, while China have qualified as the host country.

The 12 teams for the Women’s Olympic Volleyball Tournament through August 9-23 have been decided after Poland, Serbia, Japan and Kazakhstan advanced from last week’s World Olympic Qualification Tournament in Tokyo to join hosts China, Italy, Brazil, USA, Algeria, Russia, Cuba and Venezuela.

Match schedule for Espinho, Portugal

* All times are local

Friday, May 30
    Indonesia vs. Portugal (7 p.m.)
    Poland vs. Puerto Rico (9 p.m.)

Saturday, May 31
    Indonesia vs. Poland (3 p.m.)
    Portugal vs. Puerto Rico (5 p.m.)

Sunday, June 1
    Puerto Rico vs. Indonesia (3 p.m.)
    Portugal vs. Poland (5 p.m.)

Thread in progress....

• I liked of resume about the Classifi teams.

Began with China.. I hope Brazil profile!

HEHE!

This OG wll be GREAT! :thumbsup:

[img=http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/9631/braitajq5.th.jpg]

"FIRE IN THE EYES" - THIS IS BRAZIL" :D

• Bliablia,
    On June 11th will be the drawing of lots. One sure thing is that in Group A will be Bulgaria, China and USA and Venezuela and in the 2nd Brazil, Russia, Egypt and Germany.
    This is based on this system - in the first group will be teams having these positions in World Ranking - 1,4,5,8,9,12 and in B - 2,3,6,7,10,11. China are taking No1 because they are hosts,
    FIVB World Ranking
    1.Brazil 2nd
    2.Russia 3rd
    3.USA 4th
    4.Bulgaria 5th
    5.Poland
    6.Argentina
    7.Serbia
    8.Puerto Rico
    10.Italy
    11.Australia
    12.Japan
    14.Egypt
    16.Korea
    19.Germany
    20.Venezuela

These positions are relative

• So.. Brazil group will be (in my opinion)

Brazil,Russia,Germany,Italy,Serbia and Egypt (STRONG GROUP)

The Other -> Bulgaria,USA,China,Venezuela,Poland and Japan (Easier GROUP)

OG will be GREAT!!

[img=http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/9631/braitajq5.th.jpg]

"FIRE IN THE EYES" - THIS IS BRAZIL" :D

• Poland can't be in the Bulgarian group, if it qualifies it will be in the other group.

[color=#009900][color=#ffffff]

"I'm so proud that the fans still sing my name. But I fear tomorrow they will stop. And I fear it because I love it. And everything you love you fear you will lose" - Eric Cantona

• On 11th June will be draing of lots. And I don't know how's possible to fix these groups before and to draw a lots after!

Według mnie to jest bardzo dobra grupa... Bo o ile mamy kompleks Brazylii i Rosji tak już na Bułgarów, USA i ostatnio Włochów mamy sposób... Z tej grupy łatwiej awansować do 1/2 finału niż z drugiej grupy. Takie jest moje zdanie...

very interesting post from the forum.siatka.org. And I don't understand why you can beat USA? USA are strong team with Lloy Ball. And now Poland for training will have to face Egypt, Japan and China - haha. What strong teams are these!

• very interesting post from the forum.siatka.org. And I don't understand why you can beat USA? USA are strong team with Lloy Ball. And now Poland for training will have to face Egypt, Japan and China - haha. What strong teams are these!

I don't understand you at all. We can't beat USA, cause Lloy Ball plays there? He also played when we were winning against them :roll: Yes, we are playing weak teams in WL this year, and we need far journeys. But it has also good aspects: our key players will be able to rest some.
    And last, but not least: if you want to win something in OG, you can't to be afraid of your group opponents. If you are - it means that you don't deserve succes.

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• That's for sure I agree with you. You are right. :super: Go Poland !!!!!!!!!!!!
    (We won against U.S.A in WL in 2007 3:0) :teach:

Yeah, but you also have lost then in the match for the bronze medals - 1:3. ;) But of course everybody can veat everyvody, that's Olympic Games after all.

"I'm so proud that the fans still sing my name. But I fear tomorrow they will stop. And I fear it because I love it. And everything you love you fear you will lose" - Eric Cantona

• All team that will go to Beijing 2008: China, Brazil, Russia, Bulgaria, Egypt, Serbia, U.S.A., Venezuela, Germany, Poland, Japan and Italy.

:super: Go, Go Bulgaria :P

• Group A: China, USA, Bulgaria, Venezuela, Italy, Japan.
    Group B: Brazil, Russia, Poland, Serbia, Germany and Egypt.

It's almost the same group like in WC 2006 in Japan (Bulgaria, USA, Venezuela, Italy were the same teams in the group, along with Chezh rep. and Iran, now China and Japan instead of them. :) )

Group A is very very weak compared to Group B.

Traditionally, teams on the strongest groups always take the Gold in the OG. It has been like this for as long as I remember, both in male and female Olympic volleyball.

It is going to be hard for Group A teams to face the Quarter finals... I mean, after beating China, Japan and Venezuela it is going to be quite a shock to face Brazil, Russia, Poland or Serbia....

• Group A is very very weak compared to Group B.

Traditionally, teams on the strongest groups always take the Gold in the OG. It has been like this for as long as I remember, both in male and female Olympic volleyball.

It is going to be hard for Group A teams to face the Quarter finals... I mean, after beating China, Japan and Venezuela it is going to be quite a shock to face Brazil, Russia, Poland or Serbia....

It's not shocking at all facing and beating this opponents particulary for our team - Bulgaria. So, we'll see. ;)

• FIVB today info :

The Drawing of Lots for the Men’s and Women's Olympic Volleyball Tournaments will take place in Beijing on Wednesday, June 11, from 2-4 p.m. local time.

Under the supervision of FIVB First Executive Vice-President Jizhong Wei, BOCOG will conduct the official draw.

The 12 qualified National Teams in each tournament will be divided equally into Pools A and B, with a serpentine system based on world ranking used to determine the composition of the Pools. The draw for the day by day calendar of matches will then follow.

The draw will take place in the Press Conference Room of the Capital Indoor Stadium, the main Volleyball venue during the Summer Games.

Authorities from the Chinese Volleyball Association and representatives from National Olympic Committees also will be present.

Hosts China, defending Olympic champions Brazil, Russia, Bulgaria, Egypt, Japan, Serbia, USA, Venezuela, Germany, Italy and Poland are the National Teams that make up the Men’s draw.

Hosts and defending Olympic champions China, Italy, Brazil, USA, Algeria, Kazakhstan, Russia, Cuba, Venezuela, Poland, Serbia and Japan make up the Women’s draw.

Not bad better to start from stronger pool and qualifiy to 8 cause then u will pl ay with team from weaker pool. Seems lik 8 will be

A USA, Bulgaria, Italy and i would say Japan
    B Brazil, Russia, Serbia and i hope Poland

"Every volleyball player is a little bit psychopath, there are no normal people who want to voluntarily dedicate their life to this sport"
    Plamen Konstantinov