2008 the 6th Boris Yeltsin Cup (Known as Russia 1st President Cup)

• 2008 YELTSIN CUP
    06.11-16, Ekaterinburg/Nizhniy Tagil, RUSSIA

Possible PARTICIPATING TEAMS (updated by 2008.04)

RUSSIA (OG)
    AZERBAIJAN
    BELARUS
    BULGARIA
    KOREA
    NETHERLANDS
    VENEZUELA
    SERBIA (TBC)

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

Edited once, last by pappi ().

• couple of weeks ago, Caprara has announced the 21 player list for 2008....the olympic convocation will start on May 12th in Novogortsk, Moscow.

in the end of May, the following 9 players: Gamova, Estes, Godina, Borisenko, Alimova, Sheshenina, Kabeshova, Sokolova, Merkulova will continue intensive training in Croatia for 2 weeks, which is also a preparation for Yeltsin Cup...

while the rest players will be chosen to take part in UAE Tournament in the end of May...

to be me...

• Yeltsin Cup will be a glimpse of the Russian Team that will play in the Olympics. I think that this is first tournament where we can see how the main players will do before the Olympics. This may not be as competitive considering that the teams are not so strong but at least we can already see Gamova, Sokolova and the rest play.

• Yeltsin Cup will be a glimpse of the Russian Team that will play in the Olympics. I think that this is first tournament where we can see how the main players will do before the Olympics. This may not be as competitive considering that the teams are not so strong but at least we can already see Gamova, Sokolova and the rest play.

Is there a Russia youth team like last year?? I really want to know if the young Russians are playing well..

• Are you referring to the young team that played in Montreux? I am afraid we will not be able to see them play. Because they wont participate in Montreux Tournament. That is the only tournament where we can see the young Russian team.

Or are you referring to the U-19 or U-18 World Championship where the young Smirnova and others play? I think these are held every two years or 4 years. Not so sure. One young team, under 19 i think, did well last year. I think they reached the podium. The other young team, under 18 I think, failed to qualify.

• not really ....2007 Yelstin Cup has two Russia team, one is above 20 and the other is Under 20. i am thinking about will there be a young Russia team like last year 2007?

• well, but i think that it seems not likely to happen. Now there are eight teams to participate, if Russia comtributes two teams, there will be nine and it cannot be divided into two groups. I think that why Russia makes a Russia youth team in 2007 Yelstin Cup because there are only seven particants...anyway i really hope there is one youth team because it is a good training to the young RUssian players...

• Yeah and I seem to recall that the the youth team got slaughtered last year, they probably want to avoid embarrassing situations like that this year. Was kinda cocky when you come to think of it, like: we have so many good players we can create two world class teams. But then teams aren't just about the players, but moreso about the team.

• i cannot wait till watching Russia's performance

• Where do you get these information, it seems quite different from the former list of participating teams

• Thanks mariuszj1939,

they are indeed a bit different from what Patkin described months ago...

In fact, the participants are always changable, it takes time to get response from other volley associations after RVF sends out the invitation...
    hopefully they are the finally confirmed 6 teams coz its almost reaching a nearer schedule...

it seems a round robin format will be arranged to make it a tournament...

btw, today Patkin also stressed that a comparatively strong team will be formed to take part in the Yeltsin Cup....its an exciting info, isnt it?

to be me...

• Where do you get these information, it seems quite different from the former list of participating teams

Only six teams willl participate in Yelstin Cup?? Really too little and the tournament is not interesting enough because seems that Russia can certainly win all the matches....

• So does this mean that Yeltsin is the only preparatory tournament of Russia prior to Olympics? I hope that strategy will really work wonders again for the team. And I hope Caprara and the whole team will really make big and wonderful and positive surprises when they play in the Olympics. I think Caprara will be trying out different formations in this tournament to determine who between the nine players will make the starting six in the Olympics.

• On June 11, the medium

Ekaterinburg

16:00 Ukraine - Croatia
    18:00 opening the tournament
    19:00 Bulgaria - Netherlands

Lower

18:00 opening the tournament
    19:00 Russia - Belarus

On June 12, Thursday

Ekaterinburg

16:00 Belarus - Bulgaria
    18:00 Croatia - Netherlands

Lower

16:00 Russia - Ukraine

On June 13, Friday

Ekaterinburg

16:00 Netherlands - Belarus
    18:00 Russia - Croatia

Lower

16:00 Bulgaria - Ukraine

On June 15, Sunday

Ekaterinburg

16:00 Croatia - Belarus
    18:30 Russia - Bulgaria

Lower

16:00 Ukraine - Netherlands

On June 16, Monday

Ekaterinburg

15:00 Bulgaria - Croatia
    17:00 Belarus - Ukraine
    19:00 Netherlands - Russia
    21:00 closing the tournament

• I really cannot wait to watch the tournament....does anyone know where will this tournament broadcast??