World Championship Japan 2010

• Maybe both Serbia and Poland are pathetic right now. But it is definitely much better to be a pathetic team with two wins, than pathetic team with two loses. and it is the main difference between those two :evil: :( I'm sure Poland will play in the next phase, cause we can't be worse than Costa Rica or Algeria, but no success is possible for this team at the moment.
    Yesterday Croatia mad a big surprise, but today USA were much better. Nice job by Czechs who scared Brazilians a lot :thumbup:

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• What a great game! Beutiful game by Manon, just great. :love: Congratulations to Italy I belive that they desevre it. Congratulation to Netherlands too they played really good. Italy played more like a team. Ortolani had a bad game Barcelini some kind fullfil the gap. This game is one of my favourite.

Italy collected 40 points from their middle blockers.(Arighetti 19. Gioli 21) :obey:

Wow this is really impresive. That shows the talent and the hard work :obey:

It's Lucia Bosetti's sister...Caterina Bosetti! 16 years old, OH, 180 cm, Gold medal and MVP in the last Junior European Championships :thumbsup: She is the next future of Italian volleyball :cheesy:

Waiting for her!!! Hope she will be the next future of italian volleyball

• What is the official report on Picci's absence? Barcelinni did a good job, but I don't think she is good enough for Italy to legitimately be a contender for the title. She's not consistent enough and against a better blocking team she doesn't put the ball down. Bosetti is too small to be effective against bigger teams as well. I'm so glad that Arrighetti is getting the chance to play and doing well. I think following this tournament she will be a mainstay on the Italian NT.

It must be so frustrating for players like Flier and Darnel who are so spectacularly gifted and unfortunately are surrounded by teammates who just aren't on their level. It baffles me how the Netherlands can't find at least ONE other pin hitter to complement Flier. Grotheus played well, but she's very inconsistent at this point and is prone to making a lot of errors. I also don't think as a lefty she is well-suited for the 4 position. You have to be pretty amazing athletically to be consistent and create angles, but I don't think she is tall or athletic enough to consistently be a threat. C. Staelens is such an enigma to me because she has matches where her movement doesn't appear to be an issue at all and she gets a lot of kills and then in other matches she looks like a wounded giraffe who tips every ball. I find the Netherlands team to be very likable and would like to see them do well.

Brazil still can't make up their mind over who they want their setter to be. I don't think you can switch setters so much in a big tournament and be able to develop the consistency necessary to win. They're already playing without Mari and Paula and they can't afford another setback with setting issues. I personally prefer Fabiola and she ended the last two sets against CZE so hopefully she'll start in the next match.

Russia looks VERY good up to this point. They get lazy on serve reception and lose focus mentally, but Kosheleva, Solokova and Gamova are such a threat from everywhere on the court that when they are focused they can be pretty dominant. I also really like Perepelkina's game. She's small for a Russian MB at just 187cm but she is very quick and gives Russia a different look in the middle than they've had in previous years.

USA looks very strong as well with Hooker flying high. Fans in Italy are really going to have a fun time watching her in the pro league this year. They took care of Croatia pretty easily and their blocking continues to be amongst the best in the world.

• Does Piccinini has any injure?Why she is still in tribune?

She has a little muscoular problem, but tomorrow she 'll starts to jump again...

• USA looks very strong as well with Hooker flying high. Fans in Italy are really going to have a fun time watching her in the pro league this year. They took care of Croatia pretty easily and their blocking continues to be amongst the best in the world.

Hooker is adjusting to the opposite position very well. I think Hooker's offense is very important for USA especially right now because I heard from my friend in Japan that Logan Tom's shoulder and right arm has been bothering her and in their practice warmups and matches, Tom frequently winces in pain and massages her right arm. I did notice in the matches that Tom has been grabbing her arm in pain at times. I hope it's not a serious injury. 8|

USA's blocking is very strong indeed. They have outblocked opponents since the Grand Prix. All of the starters are strong at the net :thumbup:

• It baffles me how the Netherlands can't find at least ONE other pin hitter to complement Flier

1. Stam --> injured
    2. Meijners --> left NT a few years ago after conflict with Selinger, didn't return so far.
    3. Buijs --> her school didn't give permission to go to Japan.

• Excuse me, but Manon has been our leading player for many years already...( since 2004 I think) :teach:

I mean there are players like Neslihan,Gamova,Agüero,Grün,Glinka(once) who are real "leading players".And there are players like Flier,Kozuch,Djerisilo,Metcalf who seem leading players .Today Flier played like the players who are in "real leading players".

• What is the official report on Picci's absence? Barcelinni did a good job, but I don't think she is good enough for Italy to legitimately be a contender for the title. She's not consistent enough and against a better blocking team she doesn't put the ball down. Bosetti is too small to be effective against bigger teams as well. I'm so glad that Arrighetti is getting the chance to play and doing well. I think following this tournament she will be a mainstay on the Italian NT.

Arrighetti's performance in this tournament is absolutely great, but is that enough so she will be mainstay on Italian roster after barazza's come back? This is a thing that i hope to happen because i just love Valentina's play and her character in the field. I am saying that without pulling down Barazza. I would like to have some of your opinions in other thread.

• I was worried about today's Italian match. Hopefully Barcellini, Gioli and Arrighetti did a great job. I hope Arrighetti improves more and more in blocking. Unfortunately Bosetti today wasn't that good.

About Japan, Kimura said “The result is fine, but our performance is not as it should be. If we continue like this maybe we’ll face a very serious situation in later stages in the tournament.” She had another great performance, but as a team they should improve I think. I WGP they beat Italy twice and Brazil once. Go Japan!!!

I'm happy that South Korea won against Domican Republic and Thailand against Kazakhstan.

It seems Russia is in good form again. It is the team to beat. Also the USA is doing good. Cuba has to return playing as Cuba with two setters. Unfortunately all is more difficult without Ruiz, Carrillo, Barroz, Mesa, Calderon, Ortiz and Ramirez. But Carcaces, Santos and others are also good. I think the system is not suitable for Cubans.

As for Europeans way of playing, probably Turkey is playing the best volley based on the comments of other posters. Pity they lost to Russia. But the way to the semis is still open.

• In brasilian press came out a report talking about Piccinini conditions. On it says she has muscle strain in her abdomen, and that is a quite complicated injury. She dont know yet if she will be able to play World Championship :( She is waitting the doctors avalitation, but she wants to come back as soon as possible.

The sad thing is that even if she gets back, she wont be able to play in her full conditions. But I hope she can stay well, and help Italy. FORZA PICCI!!!

• I mean there are players like Neslihan,Gamova,Agüero,Grün,Glinka(once) who are real "leading players".And there are players like Flier,Kozuch,Djerisilo,Metcalf who seem leading players .Today Flier played like the players who are in "real leading players".

I don't understand how you categorize Flier as an athlete who "seem to be a real leading player". And I don't understand your criteria in coming up with your list. But if you mean real leadership capabilities then no doubt that Manon Flier has been a leader for the Dutch team for years now. If you evaluated her for her performance in her games for the Dutch team, her body of work - her performance, speaks volumes about how she was leading the Dutch team to win games. I guess it is a little bit belittling to categorize her as less than a leader

• Congratulations to Cuba. You can see that they were aggressive in the 5th set and I hope they play like that for the rest of the matches. They got a lot of work to do in covering other teams MBs and OHs when blocking because I don't think at this point they will miraculously improve in digging spikes and in serve-receive

• I mean there are players like Neslihan,Gamova,Agüero,Grün,Glinka(once) who are real "leading players".And there are players like Flier,Kozuch,Djerisilo,Metcalf who seem leading players .Today Flier played like the players who are in "real leading players".

I think I understand what you are trying to say.

By real "leading players", do you mean players who are stars regardless of what team they are playing on? And those who "seem to be leading players" to you are those who shine in a certain team relative to their weaker teammates?

For example, Kozuch and Flier are clearly stars in their own national teams, but when put in a star-studded professional team (just as an example, think of Novara last season with Flier, Kozuch, Kirillova, Tom, Barazza, etc.) you could make an argument that Kozuch or Flier did not shine as brightly and the star in that team was Tom.

Is this what you mean? Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

• I am not agree with "seems to be leader"
    Kozuch,Flier are real LEADER players. I can say hat they have TEAM LEADER charachtere more than Gamova,Neslihan or the other opposites. Because last two only play and never talk to their teammates,but Flier and Kozuch help their teammates in be in good mood talking and advising them on the court,and of course scoring the most points. So I am not totally agree with that they seem to be a leader. If I had a chance I would bring Flier or Kozuch to my team with the greatest pleasure. I prefer Flier more than the others!!! If she wants-she is unstoppable!

• In brasilian press came out a report talking about Piccinini conditions. On it says she has muscle strain in her abdomen, and that is a quite complicated injury. She dont know yet if she will be able to play World Championship :( She is waitting the doctors avalitation, but she wants to come back as soon as possible.

The sad thing is that even if she gets back, she wont be able to play in her full conditions. But I hope she can stay well, and help Italy. FORZA PICCI!!!

Today Francesca is in bench :thumbup:

• I am not agree with "seems to be leader"
    Kozuch,Flier are real LEADER players. I can say hat they have TEAM LEADER charachtere more than Gamova,Neslihan or the other opposites. Because last two only play and never talk to their teammates,but Flier and Kozuch help their teammates in be in good mood talking and advising them on the court,and of course scoring the most points. So I am not totally agree with that they seem to be a leader. If I had a chance I would bring Flier or Kozuch to my team with the greatest pleasure. I prefer Flier more than the others!!! If she wants-she is unstoppable!

I agree with you Shabovta. Helping your teamates to be good is one of the qualities that make an athlete a leader. Scoring a lot of points is important too but that is not the sole criterion to become a leader. I just remember Lena and how she can make her teammates fight hard in every game

Russia and Poland are killing their respective opponents.

• I agree with you Shabovta. Helping your teamates to be good is one of the qualities that make an athlete a leader. Scoring a lot of points is important too but that is not the sole criterion to become a leader. I just remember Lena and how she can make her teammates fight hard in every game

Russia and Poland are killing their respective opponents.

Thanks for solidarity. I also prefer real leadership on the court!!! Saying Lena,who are you talking about? Lena Shabovta?

• I'm sorry for that, it is Lena Dziekiewicz that I was referring to. :D