Champions League 2008/2009

• Drawing of Lots for the 2008/09 Indesit CEV Champions’ League will take place next July 4.

The lists of the club admitted to the competition derives from the spots available for each National Federation according to the European ranking, whilst 3 wild-cards have been awarded for the Men’s League, namely to the clubs of CSKA Sofia (BUL), VITORIA SC (POR) and Iskra ODINTSOVO (RUS).

Detailed list of the clubs entering the 2008/09 Indesit CEV Champions’ League
    TRENTINO Volley, Lube Banca Marche MACERATA, Copra Nord Meccanica PIACENZA (ITA)
    Dinamo MOSCOW, Zenit KAZAN, Iskra ODINTSOVO (RUS)
    Iraklis THESSALONIKI, Panathinaikos ATHENS (GRE)
    PGE Skra BELCHATOW, AZS CZESTOCHOWA (POL)
    Portol Palma MALLORCA (ESP)
    PARIS Volley, BEAUVAIS Oise (FRA)
    Noliko MAASEIK, Knack Randstad ROESELARE (BEL)
    VfB FRIEDRICHSHAFEN (GER)
    aon hotVolleys VIENNA (AUT)
    Jihostroj CESKE BUDEJOVICE (CZE)
    Piet Zoomers/D APELDOORN (NED)
    Fenerbahce ISTANBUL (TUR)
    ACH Volley BLED (SLO)
    Crvena Zvezda BEOGRAD (SRB)
    CSKA SOFIA (BUL)
    VITORIA SC (POR)

• Well, well, Portuguese team in Champions League :whistle:

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• Which is club your favourite to winning Masters' League?? I think, that this will be Skra Bełchatów.

• Which is club your favourite to winning Masters' League?? I think, that this will be Skra Bełchatów.

Oh, you are real optimist, aren't you? :D I personaly don't think so, although I hope they will qualify to the Final Four again.

The most important 3:

• well, I would say some optimism is useful in this case... many of the teams have new players, some big favorites like Zenit Kazan will no longer have Kossarev and Tetyukhin, Trentino is without Jeroncic and Nikolov, Copra Piacenza will not have the same roster for sure.... I think Skra has pretty good chances but, honestly, I think they won't play in the final though they deserved it in Lodz. In my opinion, Dinamo Moscow and Trentino will make it to the last step though it seems surprises can happen at any point. Btw, I am still not sure who the 2 foreign players registered in Dinamo Moscow's line-up are. Alan and Cernic already left as far as I know?

• If you wanna watch the drawing of lots, so tune in at laola

The Drawing of Lots to be aired live by LAOLA1.tv
    2008/09 CEV Indesit Champions' League
    The Drawing of Lots of this year´s CEV Indesit Champions League is expected to take place today evening at the Town Hall of the Austrian capital city.
    LAOLA1.tv, the number one web resource for volleyball video streams, will broadcast this event live at www.laola1.tv.
    A total of 44 teams, 24 and 20 for men and women respectively, are going to play for the 2008/09 Champions League title. The first step along the road to identify the very best volleyball club teams all over Europe is provided by Friday’s Drawing of Lots and the European Volleyball Gala organized by the Austrian Volleyball Federation. The show starts at 20:15; the drawing will start at 20:30 for the women’s competition and move on at 21:00 with the men’s league.
    As already mentioned, LAOLA1.tv will broadcast live the Drawing of Lots which marks the kick-off of a very packed program LAOLA1.tv has been arranging along with the CEV for the 2008/09 Indesit Champions’ League.

Friday, 04.07.2008
    20:15 h CET: Beginning of the European Volleyball Gala
    20:30 h CET: Drawing of Lots Women
    20:55 h CET: Drawing of Lots Men

• Pool A
    Iraklis THESSALONIKI (GRE)
    AZS CZESTOCHOWA (POL)
    Fenerbahce ISTANBUL (TUR)
    CSKA SOFIA (BUL)

Pool B
    Dinamo MOSCOW (RUS)
    Noliko MAASEIK (BEL)
    Jihostroj CESKE BUDEJOVICE (CZE)
    VITORIA SC (POR)

Pool C
    Portol Palma MALLORCA (ESP)
    Lube Banca Marche MACERATA (ITA)
    Knack Randstad ROESELARE (BEL)
    Crvena Zvezda BEOGRAD (SRB)

Pool D
    PARIS Volley (FRA)
    Zenit KAZAN (RUS)
    Copra Nord Meccanica PIACENZA (ITA)

Pool E
    TRENTINO Volley (ITA)
    BEAUVAIS Oise (FRA)
    aon hotVolleys VIENNA (AUT)
    Ach BLED (SLO)

Pool F
    PGE Skra BELCHATOW (POL)
    Panathinaikos ATHENS (GRE)
    VfB FRIEDRICHSHAFEN (GER)
    Iskra ODINTSOVO (RUS)

• Difficult group for Skra Bełchatów. However, this team shouldn't be afraid of anybody if it wants to play in the final. Częstochowa has rather easier group, but is also weaker than Skra. So, fans in Poland should count especially on team from Bełchatów.

The most important 3:

• Pool D
    PARIS Volley (FRA)
    Zenit KAZAN (RUS)
    Copra Nord Meccanica PIACENZA (ITA)

Very interesting pool with 2 the bests teams in the Europe.

• First matches of Champions League:

Pool A
    5.11 Iraklis Saloniki - CSKA Sofia
    5.11 Fenerbahce Istanbul - AZS Częstochowa

Pool B
    4.11 Dinamo Moscow - Vitoria SC
    5.11 Jihostroj Ceske Budejovice - Noliko Maaseik

Pool C
    5.11 Knack Roeselare - Portol Palma Mallorca
    5.11 Crvena Zvezda Beograd - Lube Banca Macerata

Pool D
    4.11 Paris Volley - Copra Piacenza
    6.11 Piet Zoomers/D Apeldoorn - Zenit Kazan

Pool E
    4.11 Trentino Volley - ACH Volley Bled
    4.11 aon hotVolleys Vienna - Beauvais Oise

Pool F
    5.11 Skra Bełchatów - VfB Friedrichshafen
    4.11 Iskra Odintsovo - Panathinaikos Athens

To the next round will qualify 16 teams (not 12 like was in previous editions). Final Four will be in Prague (Czech Rep.), but Czech team isn't directly qualified to the final.

• Hm, I didn't know about this change for the second round - 16 teams instead of 12! Does it mean that the four best-ranked third teams in the preliminary pools also qualify? Moreover, I don't think the Final Four games will be highly attended when the host nation team is not among the semifinalists...

• Pool B
    Dinamo Moscow - Vitoria SC 3:1 (25:19, 25:19, 29:31, 25:21)

Pool D
    Paris Volley - Copra Piacenza 1:3 (19:25, 19:25, 28:26, 20:25)

Pool E
    Trentino Volley - ACH Volley Bled 3:0 (25:17, 25:18, 25:20)
    aon hotVolleys Vienna - Beauvais Oise 2:3 (25:23, 24:26, 22:25, 25:23, 13:15)

Pool F
    Iskra Odintsovo - Panathinaikos Athens 3:0 (27:25, 26:24, 25:20)