Julien Lemay

• When, where and why did you start to play volleyball?
    I started to play volleyball really young, around 7 or 8 years old. I played in my hometown in Saint André, close to Lille in North of France. I chose volleyball because my family was already playing this sport.

When did you realize volleyball could be a job for you?
    I don t remember exactly, but i always had this goal to be professionnal. I was really impressed when i was going to Tourcoing (France, Pro A), and the players were my idols.

What is the most important skill to be a good libero?
    Difficult question. I think the vision of the game is an important skill, because reception and defense are the part of the game where you have really time crises. If you want to be good, you need to anticipate otherwise you are too late on the ball. Some players like Henno or Sergio are the best because they can predict more where the ball is going to land.

What is your most memorable volleyball moment?
    I remember my first title as my best moment in volleyball. It was in 2006-2007 with Roeselare. We were playing against Maaseik the historical rival, and the final was best of 5 victories.
    The serie was 2-2, and the team was really depressed because in game 4, we had few match balls and we could win the title, but unfortunately we lost this game 4 18-16.
    In game 5 we started really bad, losing the first set, and then we reacted with a great spirit and we won 2nd and 3rd. In 4th set we were thinking Maaseik would break but they showed also a great caracter and they pushed us in a decisive tie break.
    In front of our great public, this tie break was full of intensity and we won 15-13.
    From the 12 players who were on the court, i was the only player who was playing his first finals series, and i couldn't expect a better ending.

What is your experience to play in Belgium?
    I think Belgium is better than people think. They have 2 good teams who are stimulating each other to play better and better every year (Roeselare and Maaseik), and it s a benefit for all the league. Of course there are some better leagues (Italy Russia Poland France) but i think Belgium league has some interesting players, and for example you can see that in those last years, the players who are leaving Roeselare are most of the time going to top teams in top leagues.

What do you like the most in volleyball?
    When i am on the court i like to hear the reaction of the crowd after a great point. I can say that i like a lot the relationship with the public.

Which National Team or club do you like the most for the way they are playing? (you cannot name your own NT or club)
    Lately Brasil as the best volleyball in the world, but i have been also impressed by Spain last year.

What do you like to do most of all, except playing volleyball? Your bigest hobby?
    I like tennis, beach volley, guitar, and holidays in Corsica !

What is your favourite movie?
    I like French comedies, but as english movies i remember that i liked the Island.

Do you have any dream?
    Winning Champions League, Olympic Games, and Italian Competition. Let's make it to become true !!

Pictures: volleyteam-roeselare.be and julien-lemay.com