The Olympic Games in Beijing - Elimination Round

• The key to the US victory was their serve strategy. Cuba's reception is very weak and the US team knew how to exploit this weakness of the Cuban team.

Congrats to the American girls! Now they will wait for the next match to see with which team they will battle for the Gold Medal!

• Wow! I was right about being nervous on Cuba's performance. They committed so many errors and their serves didn't get in. Asar! :aww: I guess Lang Ping fixed their defects in their last few matches and let Cuba do the damage. :down: :mad:

I'm off to sulk for now.

:olympia:

• Do you think it is surprise, that USA beat Cuba? I don't think so. Both teams have been playing well that tournament, but Americans performance has been just great since match against Poland. So, I am rather not surprised, maybe a little, because of no set for Cuba :whistle:
    Anyway: two medals for USA in volleyball? It is very possible...

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• USA 3 - 0 CUBA

Im speechless about how the things went on. Cuba is the overwhelming choice for everybody to walk into the gold medal round but USA went complete. First, this was a history. The last time they were in the finals was in 1984 (Silver). This will be the first time for the girls to medal. They really deserve this.

Cuba's errors killed them. While USA only had service errors from Haneef and Tom...but they equate it with aces.. Logan Tom, rose to the occasion...she was unstoppable..She's amazing. She blocked well, her spikes were very accurate..and the digs are quite amazing. Nicole Davis' digs of Yumilka made me sigh "whoah".

Kim Willoughby and Kimberly Glass are energy bunnies. Their energies are soo amazing. I love seeing them smile. Willoughby is now my favorite player. They have an extra bounce whenever they spikes.

The middles were amazing. Its obvious that Heather Bown and Dani Scott want this badly that their running back slides were almost unstoppbale. Haneef, was not consistent but she scores at crucial points.

Jenny Lang Ping, was China's coach in when they took Silver at Atlanta games. Now her team is again assured of a medal. She's an amazing coach. She knows how to mix and match the players.

Lastly, I cried not because of this win, but seeing Logan cry for the first time. And also seeing the 2 Kims wept. Gives me chill on my spine.

Looking on, I know the Gold Medal is a long shot. Brazil is just invincible. While China is home.

"[size=8]It's years and years of work and sacrifice and dedication. Along with a lot of these girls, we've sweat and we've bled and we've cried together in past Olympics. It just brought tears to my eyes, & I'm more than thrilled. This will be forever." -LOGAN MAILE LEI TOM (Silver Medallist - 2008 Beijing & 2012 London Olympic Games, 2011 World Cup runner up, 2003 & 2007 World Cup 3rd place, 2002 World Champs runner up, 4-time World GrandPrix Champs)

• You're right Konrad, USA dominated Cuba for the last 4 years, I remember to see them losing in this year WGP final round in 5 sets after taking a 2-0 lead and Cuba's surprising victory in straight sets against the US in the preliminary round of the OG.

• Do you think it is surprise, that USA beat Cuba? I don't think so. Both teams have been playing well that tournament, but Americans performance has been just great since match against Poland. So, I am rather not surprised, maybe a little, because of no set for Cuba :whistle:
    Anyway: two medals for USA in volleyball? It is very possible...

In case you forgot, USA already won the Women's Beach Volleyball title.

It was really surprising that Cuba lost in 3 sets, I agree. The USA has really been steady and their players more experienced. Ah-Mow, Scott-Aruda, and Tom had been playing in 2000 and their performance has been steady since then. Cuba 's has been up and down since Aguero's defection. They have only been successful lately only because Perdomo came back and they were hitting and serving more successfully. But defense? That will take 2 years.
    :drink:

• I hope you're right, jist. But I am so afraid that I'm shivering! I am even afraid of China and those people yelling at the gymnasium to support them!

• what a terrible performance by Cuba . how many mistakes they made 20? 25? maybe 30. the worst match of cuba in this OG...eh i was supporting them but my favourite teams never wins anything so im used to that;/ but congratz for USA they knew how to use those errors. good game but it wasnt anything special . Cuba cant win with such strong team making so many errors...now i hope China will beat Brazil and defend gold :) :cup:

Anyone can support a team that is winning - it takes no courage. But to
    stand behind a team to defend a team when it is down and really needs
    you, that takes a lot of courage.

• Offtopic:

Yes, Kerri Walsh-Misty May won the gold again. Thats back-to-back.

Im sure Kerri is happy now that the Indoor girls are going on to the finals. Kerri Walsh was part of the Indoor Team at Sydney 2000 games. They were 4th then.

Men's Beach has also a finalist from the US.

So not to put pressure on, but the Indoor Men is the only team not assured of a medal yet.

"[size=8]It's years and years of work and sacrifice and dedication. Along with a lot of these girls, we've sweat and we've bled and we've cried together in past Olympics. It just brought tears to my eyes, & I'm more than thrilled. This will be forever." -LOGAN MAILE LEI TOM (Silver Medallist - 2008 Beijing & 2012 London Olympic Games, 2011 World Cup runner up, 2003 & 2007 World Cup 3rd place, 2002 World Champs runner up, 4-time World GrandPrix Champs)

• In case you forgot, USA already won the Women's Beach Volleyball title.

No, I didn't. But consider beach volleyball as a slightly different discipline :D

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• That's very good news for China and Brazil - mainly for Brazil. I am very surprised, really. But regardless, I don't think USA can beat the other semi-finalists - maybe China, but not Brazil.

I didn't pay much attention to the match, because I was watching other things, but it seemed like a very easy victory.

I think the other match will be very interesting. On skill and the playing level alone, I would give Brazil 80% chance, but all things considered and put together, I think it's 60-65% in favour of Brazil.

• Wow! This was a surprise.. :what: Not even a set. Congrats to the US girls! :dance6:

• I expect not a single chair could be vacant later tonight. :lol:

Brazil is ofcourse the favorite but China's quick attacks will be their main weapon.

So i guess the Brazilians knew that already.

EDIT:
    Cuba had 29 errors. :what:
    USA had 10 only.
    Thats over a set given by Cuba for free.

Edited once, last by jist ().

• Good job US girls!! :thumbsup:
    I didn't see the match, but I was rooting for them, I'm really happy they won. :)
    From what I read here, Cuba made a lot of mistakes...that's typical. Put a little pressure on them and they start doing things wrong. And once they've started, there's no stopping them if the other team plays consistently well.
    So the final will be USA- Brazil/China...I'm totally watching it.
    As I'm watching Brazil-China today. That will be an interesting match to say the least. :)

• China is leading in this first set...16-14.
    Great start, I'm enjoying this match. :)

• Omg!

25-25 this should have been for the gold medal match!

• You're right!!

• Brasil takes first set 27-25!!!

Is there a site where i can watch this online?

My gawd, i hope Brasil wins this match. At least I got one of my favorite teams in the podium