Frederic Winters

• When, where and why did you start to play volleyball?
    I started playing club volleyball when i was in the ninth grade in Victoria BC Canada. I started to play volleyball because it was a fun sport for me, and lots of my friends were playing.

What is your experience to play in Russia?
    My experience playing in Russia is different from any other place i've played...it takes a lot of determintaion and strong will power to play there....you have to a be a professional in every way and in some ways much stronger mentally than if you were playing in Europe.

How is general (volleyball) situation in Canada?
    The situation of volleyball in Canada is on the rise....Our youth teams usually do fairly well in world competitions and we have some strong young players coming up. We are about to move our training center to Ottawa Ontario, our nations capital city so that is exciting and we will have a better facility to train in. Also with the recent hiring of our coach Glenn Hoag we have seen a turnaround in every aspect of our team game. Althought volleyball is still not a popular sport in Canada, we are producing some great players that are doing great things overseas!

What is your most memorable volleyball moment?
    I don't have a most memorable moment in volleyball so far. I'm hoping to make some great memories in the years to come. I guess if i had to say my most memorable moment, i would have to pick signing my contracts.....it's always very exciting to sign a contract to play a sport that you love. It's still surreal to me that i can play volleyball and get paid doing it.....i still ponder that thought every day and i'm thankful for how lucky i am to be able to do that!

What are your weak and strong points?
    Like all players i want to say i'm a well rounded player with little weaknesses. In past years my reception has been a weak point but i have worked hard and am now very comfortable in reception and have turned that weakness into a strong point. I think i'm dynamic in my approach in terms of blocking and attacking. If i had to pick a weakness to my game right now it would have to be my spike serve and my defensive reaction time. Of course those are things that i'm going to try to improve for the upcoming season.

Are you going to support some teams at the Olympic Games? Which are they?
    It's nice to see Brazil win just to cement their status as the greatest dynasty. I'm never really upset when Brazil wins because they are the best team to watch and are great for our game. BUT, like most players i'm tired of seeing Giba and company on the podium getting gold, it's happened too much. It would be interesting for me to see the USA win gold as i have some friends on the team.

What country of those where you played, you memorized most of all and why?
    The most memorable place i've played would have to be Brazil. Every time i've played there the fans have blown me away and i love going there!

What do you like to do most of all, except playing volleyball? Your bigest hobby?
    Outside of volleyball i'm really into cars. I'm also interested in real estate. And of course i like to travel to places where i can relax and not just be there to play volleyball. I love professional sports and enjoy going to MLB, NBA, NFL, and NHL games, it's just better to watch live than on TV.

Please, name three things that most people don't know about you.
    My biological fathers last name is Ouellet so technically my last name isn't Winters, it's Ouellet. My first love was basketball and to this day it's still my favorite sport. That's enough secrets!

Do you have any dream?
    I don't realy do much dreaming, because everything that i have in my life right now is a dream come true. I believe that if i want something i just have to go out and get it. I day dream, but as of right now i'm happy!

Pictures: freddiewinters.com