European Championships 2009

• BTW, has lucia crisanti entered the italian team? I haven't seen her in this tournement. I remember that Valentina Arrighetti was a replace of Barazza and Gioli. on the other hadns, too bad guiggi isn't on the team. although she was one of the members of 2007.

As far as I know, Crisanti was called at the last minute to replace Guiggi, who was injured. But she hasn't played in the ECH. She was with the team, though. Yes, it's sad Guiggi wasn't there. Too bad she was injured. :(

• Omg!!! Piccinini is so jealous at Flier!! As Flier was getting her MVP award, in the back side was Italian team to see, and especially Picci. As Andre Meyer was giving her the award, he kissed Manon 3times. Piccinini rolled her eyes, made a sour face and touched with her finger to her cheeks 3times, while she was saying something to her teammates, probably about Manon =) She was like saying "yea kiss her, I bet u voted for her just for being near to her kissing her" =)))
    Omg it was soo funny, I hope I am not the only one who saw this.

Ahahahahah, :lol: I saw it, but I think I knew what Picci was saying. In Italy, we usually give two kisses, while there in Poland, it seems that they give three (or four). So she was commenting on the fact that it's strange for us to give three or four kisses. That's what I understood, because she had the same reaction I had. :) Like: how many kisses do we have to give? :lol:

• I would like to thank Dutch girls for this tournament. They were just amazing. If I were a man, I would fall in love with them ;) just like little, smiling, orange sunshines

congratulations for our girls, for Netherlands and Italy

it was such a good year for us :super: Hope we'll continue it

• I really wonder why the hell italy was suddenly beaten up by usa in the olympics of 2008. Del core wasn't called because of her injury and Aguero wasn't able to show all of her abilities though. It was a shame anyway :( italian team is just perfect at the moment. i bet there's no one who can stop them so far.

• I would like to thank Dutch girls for this tournament. They were just amazing. If I were a man, I would fall in love with them ;) just like little, smiling, orange sunshines

congratulations for our girls, for Netherlands and Italy

it was such a good year for us :super: Hope we'll continue it

You are absolutely right, our girls are sweeties! And since I am a man, I'm in love with them. All! ;)

Now the tounament is over, I would like to say an enormous 'thank you' to Poland, the Polish people/fans and offcourse also the Polish organisation! It was a real plaesure to watch the tournament, held in such beautiful arenas, with such enormous amount amazing fans and with an excellent organsiation!

It's good to see that volleyball is very popular in Poland!

Thank you, Poland !!!

• Ahahahahah, :lol: I saw it, but I think I knew what Picci was saying. In Italy, we usually give two kisses, while there in Poland, it seems that they give three (or four). So she was commenting on the fact that it's strange for us to give three or four kisses. That's what I understood, because she had the same reaction I had. :) Like: how many kisses do we have to give? :lol:

I saw it too. Very funny situation but she shouldn't behave like that :whistling:

Ros, thanks for info about Martina :)

• Thank you, Poland !!!

You're welcome ;) see you in WCh2014, or maybe earlier (hope so)

it's such a shame that our boys could't win with such a splendor in Turkey. I just can't imagine joy of Polish arena after such a success of male team. We would be tickled to death

• @ Ros

Hey, I totally understand your frustration about the media coverage of volleyball in your country. I live in Brazil and I can tell you that around here is pretty much the same thing. Surely, in the past years, both our NT's have been very successful and the media's been spending time covering our sport, which is considered the second in preference here, but it doesn't even get to the tip of the toe of the time they spend covering soccer.

However, since I've been reading a bit about what you european guys say about your own countries, I think it's helping me appreciate more the coverage we brazilians get.

As for the victory, congratulations! When I watched the semifinal yesterday online, I was sure Italy was going to win it all. Not only the girls are very talented, I can see they're being very well coached. Barbolini is for sure a great coach. Can't wait to see Italy vs Brazil in the Grand Champion's Cup, I think it'll be very high-leveled.

• You're welcome ;) see you in WCh2014, or maybe earlier (hope so)

Yes, maybe earlier. WL Final is said to be in Poland in 2011.

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• I'm really angry that Flier won MVP....of course she is a great player, but Simona Gioli was just marvellous today and even more so yesterday

It's democracy, man. MVP is chosen by voting. Different people has different understanding of the word "valuable". For the most voters she was the most valuable on this tournament. You are not agree with that. I am, in opposite, fully agree with that. Everybody are happy! 8)

I don't know why, but people in Russia like (love) Dutch players, Dutch team and Dutch NT coach very much. It's like there is some irrational connection between us. It became even stronger after Debby played a season in Belgorod. Everybody considers her an "our" player and cheers for the Netherlands even after they beated Russia out of the tournament. And also, I know for sure, that Russian journalists voted for Manon Flier as MVP.

---

Congratulations to Italy. You're the best, guys. No doubt :cup:

Congratulations and big thanks to Poland. Bronze medals aren't so bad, giving the current conditions. The organization of the EC 2009 is top class! I would like all big tournaments were held in Poland. The Polish audience is incredible! Especially when cheering for the Netherlands :whistle: ;)

The Netherlands... ;(
    Seems, that Dutch girls still aren't ready to play final games. I mean, to show what they capable of and to WIN finals. More trainings are needed. More tournaments. Maybe less important competitions but reaching finals and win, win and win. Ok, I have a patience to wait as long as I have to, and one beautiful day the success will come. I'm sure.

• I came back from Lodz about two hours ago and I can't stop looking at pictures and watching videos from the wonderful match that Poland played against Germany and of course from the awarding ceremony!!! I'm so proud of our girls!!!!!!!!!! :) It was an amazing experience to be there and see them win that bronze medal!! GO POLAND!!!!!!

I was so sad the Netherlands didn't manage to beat Italy :( I have nothing against Italy and they are a wonderful team, but the Dutch girls are my favorite after the Polish ones of course.Congrats to Italy though for winning the championships! Great game!!!

Oh and BTW, Manon Flier is the sweetest girl ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) She was soooo good to the Polish fans when we asked for autographs and pictures and she was the one who stayed the longest with the audience!! I didn't think it was possible for me to love her more, but after her behaviour at the final, I do!!! She's awesome!!! And congrats to her for winning MVP - she soooo deserved it IMO!!!
    Once again, I'm so happy I was there to see all the magic happen!! :)

• Congratulations to italy. They were my favourites,,and they are really the best team in not only Europe but also in the world.They are all star team. They chose the best in Italy. And i think that most of the best players should have to be chosen from Italy.Of course it had to be Francesca Piccinini,she was much much better than Manon Flier.Flier was the last person who deserved this award.because I saw her in the worst shape. Or Simona Gioli she was the best spiker and deserved it more than Flier. Aguero was not in her best shape just only in attack,but her defence was one of the Italy`s won key. She deserved it too. But Picci was my favourite.Anna Baranska should have to be given award because she was very good both in attack and defencemalso in the reception. I don`t agree with CEV!

• Yeah wow, we got murdered. I agree with flying Dutchmen that we're probably not experienced enough at playing finals, it's a whole new stage.. al be it the last stage.

Italy in defence was amazing. They completely neutralized Flier as someone on here said they would. Great team, can't help but be pissed though. Italy vs Holland will always remain something special for me in volleyball. I wonder what the future will bring.

As much as I love Flier, I was surprised when she got MVP as well. That was probably due to her performance in the final. Anyway, great championship. I'm so happy that places such as Poland exist where volleyball is valued as it should be :)

PS: did someone notice that the nw ball seems to make reception unstable as frick, when a float serve is used?

• Omg!!! Piccinini is so jealous at Flier!! As Flier was getting her MVP award, in the back side was Italian team to see, and especially Picci. As Andre Meyer was giving her the award, he kissed Manon 3times. Piccinini rolled her eyes, made a sour face and touched with her finger to her cheeks 3times, while she was saying something to her teammates, probably about Manon =) She was like saying "yea kiss her, I bet u voted for her just for being near to her kissing her" =)))
    Omg it was soo funny, I hope I am not the only one who saw this..

hehe i swa, too. it was not nice, it was like Piccinini and Del Core gossiping about Flier ;) Anyway congratulations Italy, they r really great and i think that Gioli s MVP. She was amazing.
    Also congratulations Polland team and all EC's Staff. The Ceremony was like an olimpic games, funs were wonderfull, broadcasting was great.
    Netherland play well but not enough win with Italy. Cong them too.
    And Germany, i still like wathcing them. They always smile...

• @ yates

Too bad that in two of the countries with the best volleyball NTs, all the media care about is football/soccer. Maybe if we keep winning they'll change their minds. :)

@ Konrad: FIRST PAGE today!! :D

• Italy is impeccable in this tournament.So how come in 2008 Olympics with the same roster? :what: I am so curious about the November Grand Championship.Brazil vs Italy which one is the best today?

• yates

Too bad that in two of the countries with the best volleyball NTs, all the media care about is football/soccer. Maybe if we keep winning they'll change their minds.

It is the same in Holland. All kind of sports are on television, but only the final of EC was live. This wasn't also easy to organize.. Unfurtunately Italy didn't gave Holland a chance and the match wasn't exciting at all. I hope that the the Dutch television will show live matches again, but this wasn't the best advertisement for the volleybal in Holland (thanks to Italy ;))

The Nevobo, offical volleybal association, is the founder of http://www.volleybal.tv. An initiative to put more volleybal on television with Sport1, a pay channel. Hoping this is a beginnig of more live volleybal in Holland. Starting with the supercup next week !

• As much as I love Flier, I was surprised when she got MVP as well. That was probably due to her performance in the final.

Yeah, I think after her performance in the final, which was unfortunately very poor, it was kind of weird to see her get MVP. But I believe that through the entire tournament she really did play fantastic volleyball and deserved that award, even after the final game with Italy. So I'm happy for her!!

I can't stop looking at pictures from yesterday!! What a wonderful night that was!! :)

• Italy is impeccable in this tournament.So how come in 2008 Olympics with the same roster?

Well, in the Olympics we didn't have Del Core. And there was the sad story of Tai Aguero's mom, who died when the Olympics had already started (Aguero flied back and forth from Germany to Cuba a couple of times hoping to get a visa to see her mother, but they granted her a visa only after her mother had died).
    So...I don't know. Many little things happened, that had a negative effect on the girls' morale. I bet today we'd win that quarter final. But in sports like volleyball, the nerves are very important. If your head isn't completely in the game, you'll probably lose. That's what happened to Italy during the Olympics, I guess. :(