Olympic Games 2008 - Qualification Phase

• Hehe, let's go farther:

Rus vs Pol = Rus (we already saw how it can be)
    Cub vs Bra = Bra (this one will be the real fight!)
    Italy vs China = Italy (Italy is the strongest team now. let them to eliminate the hosting country :box: ;) )
    Ser vs USA = Ser (Serbia will always beat USA!)
    ------------------------

Rus vs Bra = Rus (I'm mosly afraid for this one :whistle: )
    Italy vs Ser = Italy ( ;( )
    -----------------------

Rus vs Italy = Rus!!! (3:0) :super:

I want this sweet revenge :D

• Hehe, I refrained from posting the winners of these matches, but I have to admit I love your predictions. :D

By the way, what revenge do you seek? I already forgot ECH 07 semi finals, but I still have Athens final on my mind. ;)

• By the way, what revenge do you seek? I already forgot ECH 07 semi finals, but I still have Athens final on my mind. ;)

I still remember. Two 0:3 defeats from Italy, not only in semi-final but in final round too. Caprara underestimated Italy (or did it purposely ;) ) and din't use the final round to prepare to the serious match. But I promise to forget if we win gold in Beijing! :drink:

• Since Algeria is qualified for the Beijing OG Women's Volleyball Competition, and it is the 21st team in the FIVB ranking. The pools of the OG will be the following:

Pool A - China, Cuba, USA, Japan, Poland and Venezuela

Pool B - Brazil, Italy, Russia, Serbia, Korea and Algeria

It doesn't change much as regards the quarterfinals participants. But I am 100% sure nothing will change in the pools's configuration.

I think the quarterfinals can change. I don't think Ruskii predictions are the most likely to happen. If I were to bet I'd say the quarterfinals would be:

China vs. Serbia --> China is the favourite... but I won't be surprised if Serbia beats China like they did with Italy and Cuba in the WCH. If Spasojevic plays the OG, Serbia's chances increase.

Cuba vs. Brazil --> I think Brazil's team is more likely to advance to the semifinals. Since the 2005 season, Brazil has a 8-1 victory-loss record against Cuba and the only defeat was in the tie-breaker.

Russia vs. USA --> Both teams beat each other already last year. The US team beat Russia in the WCH 2002. I think anything can happen, but it's undeniable that Russia is the favourite to advance.

Italy vs. Poland --> Poland plays very well against Italy, even with Aguero in the team. The Polish team had to amazing victories against Italy in the WGP, but it also lost in straight sets in the World Cup. I think both teams have chances of winning but Italy is the favourite.

It's just a guess... I believe the semifinals will be:

China - Brazil --> China plays very well against Brazil. So I think they are the favourites. In 2004 though, Brazil was favourite against Russia and eventually lost. I hope Brazil have a better luck this year and reach the OG finals for the 1st time.

Russia - Italy --> The toughest match! Anything can happen in this match, especially because this will be the second time these teams will play against each other. I really don't have a favourite team. So considering the last year's results, I'd say Italy will advance.

Final Match: Brazil vs. Italy --> Italy is the favourite but I hope they lose!

• Just to clarify, I didn't make predictions. Those are the quarterfinals I would wish to see. I won't make any predictions, because I have no idea what will be the placings in the groups.

• everyone here was saying that kenya will qualify that will not happend. algeria is coming now with a new emerging young team, they beat kenya verry eazy and showed a nice modern volleyball game. wel that will be our first participation in olympic games but i'm sur that we will give a beteter view of our volleyball, because our player have good skills and we do practice a nice game.

this is a short article about the tournament:

Algeria new queen of africa

Algeria won its tickets for Olympic games, during the Olympic qualification tournament which was held in blida in Algeria.

Algeria was the best team in this tournament and showed their superiority in all of game skills

In the first match Algeria used the power of FAIZA TSABET to beat Cameroun by 3 streight sets.

In the seconde match Algeria met their rivals African shampionship Kenya. All people were waiting for this matche about 4000 spectators.

.from the bigining to the end algeria showed its superiority and determination to win the match. In the first set Algeria used it’s great serve quality to take the advantage and won the set 25/15

The second sete was tied at the bigining but Algeria used itr’s quick game especially with abderahim to take an advantage then tsabet used heer experience to end the set 2521

In the third set algeria played a wonderfull volleyball game, the great serves from mouni and oukazi and the solide block of lydia oulmou gave Algeria a great advantage, and in spike tsabet the slides attack from oulmou were amaizing and Algeria won the set 2513.

In the third match against Senegal Algeria use all it’s players and won the match 31.

In the final match Algeria played verry well to beat south Africa in straight sets.

Best seter: oukazi fatma zohra (Algeria)

Best spiker : tsabet faiza

Best blocker: oulmou Lydia

Best server: wanja : Kenya

Best receiver : libero of Kenya

Best libero: mansouri nawel ( algeria)

Mvp: Lydia oulmou Algeria

Redjdal mohand ( statistician of national team)

We played a big match today, our players did everything we asked for especially on serving and blocking and deffense. We have a better game then other teams and we have a strong colectif game, and also the determination of our players to win this tournament allowed us to win, and we are really happy . I hope now that we could give a better idea of algerian volleyball on olympic tournament .

• I don't want to make predictions, because it is too early as for now. The only thing I can say is that the victory of Italy against Russia for 3-0 have some factors that probably won't be there again. Italy had all their players on their maximum, physically and mentally. Russia had almost all their players on minimum, physically and mentally. All three Sokolova, Gamova and Godina were injured. That means a lot.

If Russia returns on the level of play of 2006, Italy (or any other team, including Brazil, China, Cuba and USA) doesn't have many chances. In my opinion.

I'll be happy to see Russia win the Olympics, if they return to play as they have in 2006. Their WCH2006 way of playing was amazing (especially in the matches against China, USA, Italy and Brazil).

• i defentlly agree with you samba.

after what've seen on this 2 last olympic games russia always came to this tournament with a strong motivation. none can deny that now italy plays one of the most beautifull volleyball game on history. but if rusian big stars are on great form that would make the difference, who would stop liouba, gamova and gosha when they are on fire!!!!.

anyw ay these olympic games are going to be the most exciting we've ever seen alot of strong teams and each match will be hard to win.

but i think that rusia could get the last world this time and theydeserve it.

i also think that everyone has to be afraid of china they are coming back and they hold some surprises. brazil has to fight and italy has to play it's game, usa is now strong and cuba still the same.

so we are going to wtch a top volleyball game :)

• hi guys, at the moment i have to say italy and russia

first, italy hasve some stars that were not on court in 2007, togut, anzanello, rineri, centoni

and they have years of playing together with lo bianco;

plus the fact that the team is super consistent and stable throughout 2007

italy have the greatest moment

as for russia, i firmly believe that

artamonova will come as a sub in this summer, considering the fact that russian reception is

not so stable

andrushenko is the next gamova when the real gamova is not doing so well

so, no doubt, russia still have the most fierce offensive capability, especially as samba said

if russia play like 2006, no one will ever have a chance to stop them :_

• I more or less agree with what you said, but honestly, I think Russia 06 and Italy 07 is an even match, it can go both ways. Granted, I think that Russia in top form can runover Italy without Aguero, but with Aguero, and playing like they did when they beat Russia in GP and the ECH, I think the chances are 50% and 50%.

You are also forgetting that in the WCH 06 Russia beat Brazil in the final 15x13 in the tie break, so I don't know where do you get the idea Russia is ALMOST unbeatable if they play like they did in 06. Yeah, I agree that if Russia play like that, there are only two teams who can beat it, Italy - if it plays like they did last year and with Aguero on fire - and Brazil - if it can regain it's top form, because 07 wasn't a good year. Plus, they need to play with heart and courage. All the other surely have no chance, except for China, which is a mystery and I am sure they will come strong, so they can't be underestimated.

And I hope you are right Colossus, in regards to both Artamonova and Andrushko. But I hope the later could play WITH Gamova. Because after OG 08 there will be no Sokolova and Godina, so we need replacements for the two, not for Gamova who will still play for Russia - she will probably rest for a year or so, but she will be back.

• I came back just now from my vacations, and I wasn't surprised to see that Russia won the tournament. Well, I was sure they'd classificate, anyhow...
    Russia is a great team, and what really amuses me is their capacity to grow in decisive moments, to play when they need to play... I mean, after those last tournaments, a lot of people thought (not me, anyway) that Russia was dead and not the same anymore...
    And I agree with who said that Russia plays in the same level as 2006, they are serious candidates for OG title. But I think that China and maybe Italy (if they play like they have been playing) can be good opponents to them. The volleyball level in Beijing will be higher than in Athens and even if I DO THINK that China will win again, we're faded to see amazing matches... with unpredictable results :roll:
    Congrats to Russian team, and I hope now that Serbians and Poles can classify in May...

• I more or less agree with what you said, but honestly, I think Russia 06 and Italy 07 is an even match, it can go both ways. Granted, I think that Russia in top form can runover Italy without Aguero, but with Aguero, and playing like they did when they beat Russia in GP and the ECH, I think the chances are 50% and 50%.

You are also forgetting that in the WCH 06 Russia beat Brazil in the final 15x13 in the tie break, so I don't know where do you get the idea Russia is ALMOST unbeatable if they play like they did in 06. Yeah, I agree that if Russia play like that, there are only two teams who can beat it, Italy - if it plays like they did last year and with Aguero on fire - and Brazil - if it can regain it's top form, because 07 wasn't a good year. Plus, they need to play with heart and courage. All the other surely have no chance, except for China, which is a mystery and I am sure they will come strong, so they can't be underestimated.

It won't be easy for Italy to have again Aguero on fire and the other players all on top form as it was in 2007. Hope that this will happen, as I hope Russia, Brazil, China, Cuba, USA, Serbia, Poland and Japan (the last three if they qualify) will all play on top form. In this way we will be able to see great volleyball matches, that will amaze us.

If Italy win = Big party, I'll be more than happy :drink:
    If Russia win = I'll be happy to see the trio win the gold, after two failed finals. That would be a great end of career for Ljuba and Gosha (maybe the charming Zhenya too, if she returns).

If I don't know how, Serbia win = I hope to go to Belgrade. Big party!! Hehe

Anyway I'll be cheering for the 4 Euro teams (Italy, Russia and assuming Serbia and Poland qualify)!! I hope that gold could return in Europe after the 1988 Olympics won by the URSS, so this means 20 years ago.

• togut, anzanello, rineri, centoni
    as for russia, i firmly believe that
    artamonova will come as a sub in this summer, considering the fact that russian reception is
    not so stable
    so, no doubt, russia still have the most fierce offensive capability, especially as samba said
    if russia play like 2006, no one will ever have a chance to stop them :_

About Togut and Rinieri, I don't know if they will return. Certainly if both Aguero and Togut are in top form that will make Italy very strong. But Togut didn't yet regain her 2002 form, and I don't know if she ever will. :(

Centoni (bench opposite) and Anzanello will be back.

With Artamonova and Sokolova Russia will solve a lot of reception and defence problems, plus will have an incredibly strong attack.

• Dream formations for the Olympics

ITALY
    S = Lo Bianco, Ferretti
    OPP = Aguero, Togut
    OH = Piccinini, Del Core, Rinieri, Secolo
    MB = Barazza, Gioli, Anzanello
    L = Cardullo

RUSSIA
    S = Gratcheva, Sheshenina
    OPP = Sokolova, Safronova
    OH = Gamova, Godina, Artamonova, Kulikova
    MB = Alimova, Merkulova, Borodakova
    L = Kabeshova

SERBIA
    S = Ognjenovic, Simanic
    OPP = Brakocevic
    OH = Spasojevic, Djerisilo, Nikolic, Molnar, Tomasevic
    MB = Citakovic, Krsmanovic, Eric
    L = Cebic

POLAND
    S = Sadurek, Belcik
    OPP = Skowronska, Fratczak
    OH = Swieniewicz, Glinka, Podolec, Rosner
    MB = Liktoras, Dziekiewicz, Pycia
    L = Zenik

BRAZIL
    S = Fofao, Fernandinha
    OPP = Sheilla, Mari
    OH = Jaqueline, Paula, Sassa, Valeskinha
    MB = Walewska, Fabiana, Thaisa
    L = Fabi

USA
    S = Berg, Oh Mow Santos
    OPP = Metcalf, Nnamanni
    OH = Tom, Haneef, Glass
    MB = Scott, Bown, Joines
    L = Sykora, Davis

CHINA
    S = Feng, Qiuyue
    OPP = Suhong, Yanan
    OH = Wang, Hao, Yuehong, Juan
    MB = Ruirui, Yunwen, Ping
    L = Xian

I'm curious, if I guessed it right! :D :whistle:

• Fernandinha? Well, for many it's a nightmare, if they see her in NT :lol:
    I like her, but honestly, not even in my remote dreams there's a possibility he'll call her for NT.

Meanwhile, Italy, Poland and Serbia seem very real teams for me. And for Russia, to have Gratcheva back is also something very distant... he LOVES Akulova, remember? :lol: :lol:

But as far as I know about USA, Nnamani is an OH, so the opps would be Metcalf and Busse... Anyway, also as far as I know, there's a possibility that Metcalf does not go to the OG (she hasn't been in the NT during 2007) and maybe we can see a "new" face... Also I don't believe Ping will take two liberos... and I prefer Sykora :drink:

• Fernandinha? Well, for many it's a nightmare, if they see her in NT :lol:
    I like her, but honestly, not even in my remote dreams there's a possibility he'll call her for NT.

Meanwhile, Italy, Poland and Serbia seem very real teams for me. And for Russia, to have Gratcheva back is also something very distant... he LOVES Akulova, remember? :lol: :lol:

But as far as I know about USA, Nnamani is an OH, so the opps would be Metcalf and Busse... Anyway, also as far as I know, there's a possibility that Metcalf does not go to the OG (she hasn't been in the NT during 2007) and maybe we can see a "new" face... Also I don't believe Ping will take two liberos... and I prefer Sykora :drink:

In my opinion Fernandinha is better than Marcelle, Caroline and Fabiola, but as you have said Ze Roberto won't take her. He prefers Fabiola and Caroline. BTW, why for many will be a nightmare?

Caprara is the same. He is stubborn with Akulova. And I think another stubborn coach (Terzic) won't take Eric and Tomasevic. :mad:
    If Ping doesn't take two Liberos, I say Sykora (L), Nnamani (OH) and Busse (OPP). But I prefer Ogonna more as an opposite than an OH. In Novara she did a good job as OPP.

• In my opinion Fernandinha is better than Marcelle, Caroline and Fabiola, but as you have said Ze Roberto won't take her. He prefers Fabiola and Caroline. BTW, why for many will be a nightmare?

Caprara is the same. He is stubborn with Akulova. And I think another stubborn coach (Terzic) won't take Eric and Tomasevic. :mad:
    If Ping doesn't take two Liberos, I say Sykora (L), Nnamani (OH) and Busse (OPP). But I prefer Ogonna more as an opposite than an OH. In Novara she did a good job as OPP.

Fernandinha did some great seasons here in smaller teams, but before going to Santeramo she did two lousy seasons, for Brasil Telecom and Finasa/Osasco, so she got known as the worst setter of Brazilian league... of course not true, I think people exagerate and put the fault of the lack of performance of the team on her... but now she has some bad fame (of course, there are people who like and people who dislike...), and getting her into NT would upset a lot of people...
    Zé Roberto invited her to practice with the NT for some time, in 2005, just like Michelle, the best brazilian libero, but both of them were never invited again... :huh:

Caprara is insisting on Akulova, Bonitta is stubborn and does not call Belcik, but Zé Roberto... He is not only stubborn, he's favoritising some players that he likes... some of them are Arlene, Caroline and Sassá... it's like he doesn't change them for nothing, even if there are players that are thousand times better than them...

Well, Terzic seems stubborn too, but I think that the possibility of going to an OG would change it a bit for him... I guess he would not give chances, he'd call the players that he considers the best in their positions... ;)

I think Ping only took two liberos to WC because Sykora had came back recently, but if you have a da** good libero, why you take two? hehehe... She can also use Haneef as opposite, and call Wilkins as OH... ;)

• samba player....
    Swieniewicz back to the polish team? No way for me... her peak is over and i dont think the team needs her anymore. Poland has now a better weapon than her ;) Ania Baranska

If Baranska gets used to the nationalteam rhythm, she will become a very important part of the team. She is not just pretty good in receiption, but her attacks are much more powerful than Swieniewicz.
    Just remember her performance against the dutch team in Halle... afterwards she got exhausted cos not used to play 5 matches in 6 days. If she gains this experience she will be more valuable ;)
    I also cant agree on Pycia on the team. Gajgal showed an impressive performance in Halle and i hope she will get the chance to play.

I like your other roster predictions though!

• In my opinion Polish roster on Halle was very good. But I think we need second libero (Sawicka, maybe Leśniewicz or Maj) if Podolec and Glinka play in starting six. In fact Karolina Ciaszkiewicz not often played and libero would be more used... Of course Kamila Frątczak have chances to play in Beijing too, especially when Podolec plays as OH. Worthy of mention are: Dominika Kuczyńska - my contender to NT (good league statistcs:http://lsk.net.pl/fun/rankingi…&table=blok_pkt_m&group=2 http://lsk.net.pl/fun/rankingi…a&table=atak_pr_m&group=1) and Joanna Mirek of course :!!: