Olympic Games 2008 - Qualification Phase

• I've choosed Swieniewicz, because it will be a beautiful way to end her succesfull career. Though I understand that Baranska is more useful to the NT now. Maybe I'm beeing too nostalgic. Anyway I like Baranska a lot. :heart: About setters I prefer the old Sliwa. But that would really be impossible, considering her level of playing now and the lack of height. About Skorupa, I don't know her very much (I saw her just at WGPQ in Varna - where she didn't impress me, but it was two years ago; and in Halle briefly). Is she really better than Belcik and Sadurek in your opinion? :?:

• Is she really better than Belcik and Sadurek in your opinion? :?:

She is not worse :D In my opinion neither Sadurek nor Skorupa are really great setters, they are good, but nothing more. I think Skorupa is stronger mentally than Bełcik. Bełcik would have be a first setter to play on the highest level. If she is second - she has no self-confidence and play really poor...
    And I would rather forget about Świeniewicz. I don't think it is possible for her to play in NT, when Bonitta is a coach. Not after that bad argument between them :huh:

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• The Brazil's team roster I'd like to see in the OG is:

Setters: Fofão and Fabíola Souza / Carol Albuquerque (I'm not sure who's the best back-up setter)

Outside Hitters: Paula Pequeno, Jaqueline Carvalho, Natália Pereira and Mari Steinbrecher

Opposites: Sheilla Castro and Joyce Silva

Middle-blockers: Walewska Oliveira, Fabiana Claudino and Thaísa Menezes

Libero: Fabi Oliveira

And Brazil's team had better learning how to attack high-balls, otherwise they will lose again.

• Bad news for Italy: Jenny Barazza suffered an achilles tear and will be out for at least 3 months. It means her participation in Beijing is in danger :S

It's not totally bad for Italy: Anzanello or Guiggi would replace her just as well ;)
    She was in a great phase, but there are other good players in Italy ;)

I feel sorry for Barazza, though... It's so painful, and in a year with OG...

• Bad news for Italy: Jenny Barazza suffered an achilles tear and will be out for at least 3 months. It means her participation in Beijing is in danger :S

uff.... well as lothie said there are enough other players to fill her position... but im more concerned about Bergamo... anyway, i hope she will recover soon and will get back to shape.... injuries concerning achilles are so dangerous....

• NOOOOOOO!!!!! I'm so sad about this! Barazza was in a very good shape. ;( ;( ;(

I feel so sorry for her! ;( I hope she will be OK soon!

• I feel sorry for Jenny as well, but I think the Italian team has nothing to worry about when it comes to its middle-blockers. I really like the blond ones: Gioli and Guiggi. There are also Anzanello and Paggi, which are great players. I hope she could recover soon and be able to fight for a place in the Italian roster. It is terrible for a player to be cut out of the team due to an injury problem.

• I prefer Skorupa as a 2nd setter.

I know it's weird... but I'm scared of Skorupa. I'm not kidding. She has something creepy in her eyes.

Anyway, in my opinion the best polish setter was Sliwa... some years ago
    Sadurek is flexible, but she takes no risks. So, if opponents were afraid of Scorupa like I do, I would choose her as a first setter. :)

• [
    I know it's weird... but I'm scared of Skorupa. I'm not kidding. She has something creepy in her eyes.

You think so? In my opinion she has sometimes very sensual glance... :D

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• what is japan's future this coming olympics :?: in my opinion, i think they performed badly in the athens olympics.

Actually i dont even care.
    They wont have chances to win anyway
    Russia, Italy, Brazil, Cuba and the USA are stronger. Poland and Serbia (should be) too....

• Although today Italy has some many good middles...I'm really sorry for Barazza!!!!!She was definetly going to the OG...and now she don't have this 100% sure!!!!But I really hope she get in time!!!!!

About Brazilian setter....well...second setter....(probably is going to sound strange what I'm about to say....but this is Zé Roberto!!!!hehe) I'm not sure if it is only between Fabiola and CArol...cause on his last interview....when Zé was asked about the second setter...he told that he tried to give a love of them some chance and that Dani Lins was the one who take better her chance!!!!I really like Dani....but I think is kind of strange this....cause I don't remember he calling her for the National team!!!!Well...he did a few years ago...but he can't be couting that!!!!hehe

Do you know something about this Celso????

• ı hope Barazza gets well soon she was doing really good job lately both for the NT and Bergamo.ı would like to see her playing in the OG.

• Joanna,

If I'm not mistaken, Dani Lins was in Brazil's Team Roster both in 2005 and 2006. She entered some matches in 2005 Montreux Volley Masters but her performance wasn't good. In 2006 she played the Pan-American Cup, she didn't do well either, she started playing until Brazil lose to Puerto Rico and then Marcelle took her place. Brazil ended up 1st in this Competition with a victory over Cuba and Mari was chosen MVP of the tournament, but Dani Lins didn't do well in any competitions.

I think she improved a lot under Bernardinho's command but she didn't have a chance yet, maybe because she didn't grab it in 2005 and 2006. I really think Carol Albuquerque should play... she's by far the most experienced setter and her serves are very good.

• Joanna,

If I'm not mistaken, Dani Lins was in Brazil's Team Roster both in 2005 and 2006. She entered some matches in 2005 Montreux Volley Masters but her performance wasn't good. In 2006 she played the Pan-American Cup, she didn't do well either, she started playing until Brazil lose to Puerto Rico and then Marcelle took her place. Brazil ended up 1st in this Competition with a victory over Cuba and Mari was chosen MVP of the tournament, but Dani Lins didn't do well in any competitions.

I think she improved a lot under Bernardinho's command but she didn't have a chance yet, maybe because she didn't grab it in 2005 and 2006. I really think Carol Albuquerque should play... she's by far the most experienced setter and her serves are very good.

I remember Dani playing in Montreux, she didn't have many chances but I think she did even well in the game she entered (I have it recorded but I don't remember against who it was...) and she was in the roster in 2006 and played in the Pan American Cup like Celso said... but I didn't follow that championship...

I think Zé shouldn't say she wasn't great only because of Pan American Cup, because if the point is that, he should fire Sheilla after WCH06 and Fofão and half of the team after the Pan American Games. But sooner or later he will call her again (and Ana Tiemi), because Marcelle is awful and Carol (which also isn't good) won't last very long either.

-- My opinion on the OG: China, Russia and Italy in the semifinals, Cuba, USA, Brazil fighting for the other spot. But honestly it's hard to predict because all teams grow up a lot during OG and many and maaaaaany things can happen until august. But I wish USA wins at least the bronze :drink:

• Source: fivb.org

The Cuban Women's team face a heavy schedule in preparation for the Beijing Olympic Games as they attempt to secure a top-three finish and continue a streak of podiums that started with three consecutive gold medals in Barcelona 1992, Atlanta ’96 and Sydney 2000.
    The Cuban squad, also winner of the bronze medal in Athens '04, will leave for China on February 20 under the guidance of coach Antonio Perdomo for a training camp and scrimmage matches with Chinese teams, said Raul Diago, President of the Cuban Volleyball Federation. They will then fly to Russia for more practice and matches against strong European teams.
    The NORCECA Continental Champions will then fly back to Cuba to participate in the Cuban Sport Olympiad in April in the city of Sancti Spiritus.
    With a ticket to Bejing already in their hands, the Cubans will be fully engaged during the final stretch to the Olympics, taking part in the China International Tournament, the Montreux Volley Masters in Switzerland, the Pan American Cup in Baja California, Mexico, and the FIVB World Grand Prix.
    Middle Blocker and powerful server Nancy Carrillo, elected as Cuba's Best Player in 2007, leads the squad. The team also consists of veterans Yumilka Ruiz and Zoila Barros and setters Yanelis Santos and Daimi Ramirez.
    Last year, Carrillo was the Most Valuable Player of the Pan American Cup, the Pan American Games and the NORCECA Continental Tournament. Ruiz, a member of the gold medal teams in Atlanta and Sydney and part of the Athens squad, was the MVP of the Continental Olympic Qualification Tournament in Monterrey, Mexico, last December.

• Cuba is going to make a wonderful preparation for the olimpic games!!!!
    Going first to China...where they are going to play some friendly games at the olimpic gymm...later going to Russia!!!!!In total of 30 games!!!!!!
    They are really wanting this gold medal!

On the other hand what I heard is that Brazil are going to make only 4 friendly games in Brazil as I heard....(don't know the teams yet)...and also will play some tournament in Italy....probably alssio or something like this....

Well..I have no doubts that China, Cuba, Russia and Italy will be pretty strong at the Olimpic games....I think the Poland team is really strong...but have to see how the girls will face the fact they are at the biggest olimpic games of the history....since they don't have a lot of tradition in Olimpic games.....maybe this can make no difference...but sometimes does...specially if we are talking about female sports!

• is there any one knows what happened to calderon? is she injured? coz ı haven t seen her in any cuban roster yet? they talking about ruiz,carillo but not calderon?