World Championships 2010

• I personally think that this scheme is abuse of the idea of justice:

http://www.fivb.org/EN/Volleyb…FIVB_MWCH2010_Formula.pdf

G1 and L1 will play with second teams, while N1,H1, M1 and I1 first teams (*1 -*1). This will diminish the authority of the title, just like the European championship (2007).

I am sorry, Mariusz, I didn't know about this, when I read your post. If Bulgaria is on the semifinal, this will mean that we are favorite for the title (to win Brazil).

• The groups drawn tonight in Rome are actually not that important for this kind of tournament (as far as competition formula is concerned). Compared to tournaments where each game result is making a difference in the next rounds (as was the case in Euro 2009, Euro 2007, WCH 2006), for this competition formula teams are just separated somehow and their results will not at all matter from the beginning - what is more important with these rules, unfortunately, will be the preferences of the individual teams. I predict several games in the first and the second phase where teams will simply "choose" their opponents and not give their maximum on the field! If everything goes normal, Bulgaria, Russia and Brazil should be in the same last pool before the semis, but I don't think these teams will want to face such opponents that early... The schedule is really not good because favourites will have the chance to follow the rankings and choose their preferences as a result of previous games not being counted in next phases... For me, personally, a formula like the one in the Olympics will be extremely relevant - quarterfinals, semis and finals directly after the first round and no preliminary calculations possible!

I hope I am wrong, but it's gonna be the same as in the WCH 2002 in Argentina, where we had real fights only after the 4-5th game of each team. There, if you remember, Russia started really badly losing to Bulgaria 0-3 and France 2-3, but then these results did not matter for the next rounds, and after beating convincingly Tunisia 3-0, Russia again became strong and almost became champions!!! In the Olympics such a bad starting sequence always puts a team out of the odds! In this same tournament, France and Bulgaria were also choosing whether to finish 1st or 2nd in the game between them, Brazil lost to USA in the preliminary round, Italy to Poland, and then all of them started playing and reached their expected positions...

Again, I hope such things won't happen next year in Italy, but I seriously doubt it...

• CHEAT!
    That's the name of the WC2010 in Italy.
    We expect some teams to lose one or two matches on purpose.
    I dont know who's created that damn formula but it is soooo clear host was helped. Pools O and R are simply a joke! G1 x L2/M2; L1 x G2/N2???.
    Pool O - G1, L2, M2 - ITA, FRA, ARG
    Pool R - L1, G2, N2 - EUA, ALE, CUB
    Pool P - H1, M1, I2 - BRA, BUL, ESP
    Pool Q - I1, N1, H2 - RUS, POL, SER

This would be a fair standing. However some of these teams (pools P and Q) surely will try not to be put like exposed above that's to say they WILL lose-cheat some matches.
    I just hope Japanese organizers or even the corrupt FIVB wont do the same in WC for women.
    Shame!!!
    :mad: :set:

• Our group isn't so difficult... but it's not the easiest too ;)
    Serbia is always difficult opponent to play. They have Ivan, so despite of everything they're still dangerous. Germany also aren't bad team, they're pretty good team, even though we beat them on ECh. Canada seems to b the weakest team in our group, but always we have to b careful ;)
    In general, I think draw was good for us. We shouldn't have any problems ;)

• Olja, the problem is not the first group, the problem is the last group, where you can meet Russia and Serbia, and no one beats Serbia twice in a row

• First groups are no matter for the big teams, but last are battle to death. And Poland possibly will have to face Serbia and Russia. Before that - Cuba. And see the topic for the World League - Bulgaria is playing with Brazil in kinda easy group. We need playing with this team for the WCH as how it was with Russia this year. I hope schedule will be released soon.

• ok i'm confused. does it means that results from first and second group don't count in the final group?? every team after one group gets 0 points again?? if that;s true that formule is ridicolous.

Anyone can support a team that is winning - it takes no courage. But to
    stand behind a team to defend a team when it is down and really needs
    you, that takes a lot of courage.

• Yes and not only this - G1 and L1 play with second teams from I, H,N,M, while I1, H1, N1, M1 play against each other - one team, first from other group.

That way If we beat everybody in the first two groups, we will have to win against Brazil to go to the semifinal. Every time the win against the strong team is a must in every stage, not 2 out of 3 like the previous championship. Our prize for winning first two groups will be deathmach with Brazil. How about that, Mr. Orwell? :down:

• that's just stupid!! so it's basicly better to loose matches than winning(in the first and second group phaze) .
    it's the same with Poland. if we win our groups we will probably end up fighting with Russia and Serbia for semifinal spot, while if we loose some of the matches in previpus round we will get easier opponents in the final one :sos: :lol:

so team with even 4 looses can be a champion, on the other hand in some cases team with only one loose may not advance to semifinal
    great job FIVB :hit:

Anyone can support a team that is winning - it takes no courage. But to
    stand behind a team to defend a team when it is down and really needs
    you, that takes a lot of courage.

• What a revolutionary rule... :roll: We won't be bored during these WCH, that's for sure...
    I think it would be better if we had knock-out round after first group round

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• I think this rule is good for hosts. I saw just that first from group A and second from C will play at the end date of the second phase.

• FIVB should learn from FIFA. The tournament scheme MUST be invariant from the host

• Loosing-cheating is better in the first phase, because you play 3 games. In the second all teams play their first matches against their primary opponents, ofcourse except Italy in G1.

• What do u mean finally canada? they made it to the championship last year

• He/she means the unbalanced tournament scheme which will force some teams to cheat to get more favorable opponents. Italy's biggest mistake is that

• Yes, this formula is really ridiculous :down: Definitely, during WCh in Italy we won't be bored...