World Championships 2010

• I just don't get you bulgarians telling your team didn't play to lose and played with bench players just to preserve the starting players and giving chance to others. That's as lame as seeing Brazil losing that way. If you're about to say Brazil and other NT didn't show respect to fans then be brave enough to realize your Bulgarian NT did the same.
    Bulgary just won this game because Brazil never intended to win. Just because Bulgary won it doesn't make them the Brave Spirit of the Volleyball award winners. Bulgary didn't care for this game and the fact they won was just because Brazil never even tried to win. Had Brazil played with their full squad I doubt Bulgary would change their players and Prandi would stand up and show he was actually caring.

It was a shame watching Brazil and other NTs and YES Bulgary is one of them as well.

No, it's not as lame and there's no IF, you played like this, that's it! Every second team has problems with injuries, so it's the most natural thing to leave Kaziyski and Nikolov out in a game like this. And you know what, in my eyes, they're the Brave Spirit Award winners!!! I admitted we would've preferred to lose, no doubt about it, but the crowd came to see Bulgaria play and we never disappointed! I appreciate that you're showing your disgrace, I also said that Brazil is not the only one to be blamed. As they say, hate the game, not the player! but I can't put Brazil and Bulgaria in the same group of cheating, I am sorry!

PS. I hope you're not taking it personally, it's the NT I am angry at, not you :)

• I agree that Bulgaria is no inocent too....cause if Brasil enter to win, what would happen?If Brasil played their best, would be 3x0 Brasil probably with ridiculous result...and what would people say? Isnt that loosing a match on porpose? (I'm sorry it is, you just kind of fake it that you wanted to win, but you actually didnt.), so it is useless also to make Bulgaria as an inocent here.

And I'm not wanna make justifications for brasilian atitude, cause there is not, and I'm a brasilian supporter and I'm really disapoited to the guys. But After what Giba said at first, and what said later, it is clear, the only reason they made that atitude, it is cause Bulgaria didnt go inside the match to play a fair game with brasilians, they said, if they dont wanna win this, if they dont wanna make an efford so we wont eather.....it was what brasilians thought, and the reason why they did what they did. I dont think even that Braisl team was expecting to Kazyinski or Nikolov to play, I think they would understand if some of the main players were out, as brasil let Bruninho and Murilo out to rest...but going with all second team, I guess tat is what motivated braislians to take that atitude.

IT is wrong, it is!!!Brasil should not change their way of playing cause another team...but Bulgaria it is not a saint too...lets be honest here guys.Of course brasil has much more responsability inside the sport and with fans than Bulgaria team, but dont try to pretend that Bulgaria went to win the match cause they were not, they simply went to play, and again...maybe it is better then brasil that just refused to play well, maybe, yeah...but dont make it right. I know you all love bulgaria team, as brasilians love brasil team, but lets be honest in our avaliation...none of the teams enter to win today.

• bravo brazil :rose: .bravo rezende :rose: you are the real champions, in my opinion fivb must give them the cup today before tomorow for all their big talents :down: :down: :down: .
    note:theo as setter can do many good things :box: :box: :box: .
    rezende should now give the chance for rodrigao to play as libero. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

the only reason Theo played as setter, is cause we dont have Marlon.
    I think Braisl did wrong, but no one ca judge Theo, and the decision of him playing, it was unforuntlety necessary. Bruno sick, and Marlon sick, we have no alternatives....

Judge all the other players, that played for no reason, but not this. Brasil didnt put Theo to joke with anyone. He would play as setter even if Braisl would play to win...it was jsut something necessary today, cause We can risk bruno in a meanless match, when we dont have a second setter to replace him in a more important match, all of you would do the same. And Theo played as setter in the beggining of his career, was the only one capable to make this role.

• I agree with you that many Brazilian players show big characters in the game with huge confidence and fighting spirit that delivered victories to them one after the other. In terms of sportsmanship, Brazil is not as memorable as the many podium finishes that they have achieved. Rezende is one of the coaches that protest the most against referees' decisions, even in matches that are not biased against them. And, it's sad to notice that his behavior does have influenced the referees' judgement afterwards. I'm not saying that the team's sportsmanship is particularly poor, but they don't stand out in this regard neither.

As for the women's team, which may be a bit off the discussion here, is a team with great achievements but unfortunately has poor code of conduct. In order to fool the referees, the players always fake by celebrating after plays that clearly go against their favor. I still recall in the final match of Pan American Games (maybe in 2007, not sure) that Pequeno celebrated as if she's made a perfect block of Cubans' attack but in fact the ball dropped on their own ground after blocking! In addition, they exhibit a lot of behavior that irritates or shows disrespect to the opponents. For instance, at 2006 WCH against Russia, after being blocked Fabiana roared at Merkulova and Gamova like a barbarian. At the awarding ceremony of World Grand Prix this year, when China's libero Zhang came out to get the Best Libero's award, Thaisa at the back mocked her by mimicking Zhang's a bit awkward posture likely because of injury.

• As for the women's team, which may be a bit off the discussion here, is a team with great achievements but unfortunately has poor code of conduct. In order to fool the referees, the players always fake by celebrating after plays that clearly go against their favor. I still recall in the final match of Pan American Games (maybe in 2007, not sure) that Pequeno celebrated as if she's made a perfect block of Cubans' attack but in fact the ball dropped on their own ground after blocking! In addition, they exhibit a lot of behavior that irritates or shows disrespect to the opponents. For instance, at 2006 WCH against Russia, after being blocked Fabiana roared at Merkulova and Gamova like a barbarian. At the awarding ceremony of World Grand Prix this year, when China's libero Zhang came out to get the Best Libero's award, Thaisa at the back mocked her by mimicking Zhang's a bit awkward posture likely because of injury.

I really don't think there's any use in this, dragging situations out of the hole, specially talking about the girls, who have nothing to do with the guys, to serve for your argument. What's the point, really? This is dangerous territory. But since you're particular about it, I do remember this situation in 06 and as I recall, Merkoulova shouted at Fabiana first and then she gave payback. Both of them were wrong, I think this discussion is pointless. It really has nothing to do with anything else we're talking about.

• I love all this fake moralism lol, the only thing the brazilian players did that can have irritated their fans was give prematch interviews saying that they would play full force and such, but the competition is a sham when you have teams winning and being punished for doing so, then whats the point??? What ever happend to the 1st playing against the 4th kind of formula? You really expect a team to give it 100%, risking injuries to be put in worse groups than the teams they beat? Its absolutly propostrous and although it is a SHAME this kind of thing happend I for one would not be in the group that is defending the honor and fairplay of the sport if my team was thrown into a death group because they refused to play using the rules to their advantage.

FYI - Those that defend Bulgaria here should really have a look in the mirror, because as some have pointed out, they only won the match because Brazil "made" them do it. If not, we would probably not have this kind of a response here in the forum, but Bulgaria would be crucified just like Russia.

• It was obvious we didn't care about this match, loss or win, we didn't CARE. Our main issue was preserving our main players for the IMPORTANT matches. If that is too hard for you to understand then I can't help you...Brazil decided to play like clowns, what fault do we have?

• I agree with you that many Brazilian players show big characters in the game with huge confidence and fighting spirit that delivered victories to them one after the other. In terms of sportsmanship, Brazil is not as memorable as the many podium finishes that they have achieved. Rezende is one of the coaches that protest the most against referees' decisions, even in matches that are not biased against them. And, it's sad to notice that his behavior does have influenced the referees' judgement afterwards. I'm not saying that the team's sportsmanship is particularly poor, but they don't stand out in this regard neither.

As for the women's team, which may be a bit off the discussion here, is a team with great achievements but unfortunately has poor code of conduct. In order to fool the referees, the players always fake by celebrating after plays that clearly go against their favor. I still recall in the final match of Pan American Games (maybe in 2007, not sure) that Pequeno celebrated as if she's made a perfect block of Cubans' attack but in fact the ball dropped on their own ground after blocking! In addition, they exhibit a lot of behavior that irritates or shows disrespect to the opponents. For instance, at 2006 WCH against Russia, after being blocked Fabiana roared at Merkulova and Gamova like a barbarian. At the awarding ceremony of World Grand Prix this year, when China's libero Zhang came out to get the Best Libero's award, Thaisa at the back mocked her by mimicking Zhang's a bit awkward posture likely because of injury.

I'm sorry I think you are wrong, it is hunt of witches now.

Maybe you should try to know brasilian players before a bit more before judging them, including Bernardinho! The complain he do it is only when he thinks the referees made mistakes, ok, he is heat mind inside a match (and he is completely different outside by the way), but he is the first to also compliment andagree to referee when he thinks he is right, or when a player show him what happened. he dont try to misguide the referees, he just want the correct thing to be done. And for that he indeed complains. But I'm sure if he see the ball is inside and the referee says so he is the first to agree with the referee. Of course inside a match he also makes mistakes, sometimes he see a bit out for example and maybe is not, and he complain, but it is not that he saw someway and asking the other..No, it is just that thinks it was that. And that is something I can garatee you! So before judging all brasilians sportsmen, you should try to know them first. I agree with you that some players sometimes know the ball thouch them and ask out, and that is sad, indeed, but that is not brasilians exclusive, and nowadays became something of the game. But judge brasilians as bad carater overal it is just wrong. Specially cause of this situation. They made a mistake I agree and I will never discuss that, you can be sure I'm one of the most disapoited with that. But you are just generalizing in your coments due one situation, and I dont agree with that.

• It was obvious we didn't care about this match, loss or win, we didn't CARE. Our main issue was preserving our main players for the IMPORTANT matches. If that is too hard for you to understand then I can't help you...Brazil decided to play like clowns, what fault do we have?

Hypocrisy much? The only reason Bulgaria didn't CARE to win a match is because the team thought Brazil would not go as low as they did to come out with a loss, because I'm sorry, but did YOU see the match? Because I DID and the only way Brazil would lose was by acting like clowns as you put it. I for on do not think they made a mistake, I think the mistake here came from FIVB in trying to help the italian team and actually thinking that teams like Cuba, Brazil and Russia would cancel themselves out before a semifinal.

• I haven't entered this discussion but I have a few things to say:

1) It was not only Brazil who lost matches on purpose. Let's remember the matches between Russia and Spain or the match between USA and the Czech Republic. I believe that the Italian Federation is the one to blame. In their desperate effort to make Italy advance as far as they can in the WCH, they have invented such competition formula.

2) Brazil's team has been facing some injury problems. Murilo left the team in the match against Cuba because he was suffering a problem in is calf. Marlon is out of the tournament and there is only Bruno as a setter in the team. Bruno has been having fever for the last three days and Bernardo decded to let him rest so that he can recover asap.

3) If such problems with injuries are happening, I think that Bernardinho is guilty for that. He could have chosen Ricardinho but he preferred not to invite him. Now Theo is the second setter and Brazil could have both Ricardinho and Bruninho on court in this WCH.

4) It was clear that neither Brazil or Bulgaria were fighting for the points. Neither team was doing any effort to try to save balls and the vast majority of the points was decided in a very short time. Bulgaria was playing with its B team, but Brazil was playing with no setter, that was the difference. I didn't blame Bernardo for letting Theo play as a setter, but I do blame him for not having called Ricardinho for the NT.

5) Let's not pretend Brazil's team represents devil and the other teams are victims of such a diabolic plan by Brazil. The devils here are the Italian Federation, that adopted such a dumb formula. I don't know Russia's reason for having lost to Spain. But Brazil's team reasons for it were surviving in the competition. As only Bruno is playing as a setter, it would be a great stupidity to force him to play today in a match that Brazil would be qualified for the next round even being defeated. The priority for Brazil's team was having Bruno at the top of its physical form for the next round of the competition.

• im really happy that fivb´s move to put brazil, cuba and russia in one group has failed.. lets see how italy will handle the next phase playing against top teams.. if they suceed in reaching semifinal, and brazil too, it will be a really tense match :box:

• I had promised keeping my self quiet and follow the WCH without making comments or getting into any controversy, but it is humanly impossible. I have seen here very wise comments, others completely insane, but I still come back ....lololol :wall:

In my opinion there are two “big forces” responsible for this mess The Italian Federation who created this litter monster (WCH-2010) and the FIVB who accepted the proposal and carried it on. The other forces are those teams that unscrupulously took advantage of the competition formula disrespecting other teams and fans. :whistle:
    Everybody knows that the host country-federation in any competition would have better chances of getting an easy qualification or elimination brackets, but it is not right manipulating the formula to put other contenders in disadvantage, selecting opponents for itself or other competitors, neither predisposing other teams to failure. That was obvious to everybody; the mess is more evident when the teams that we are supporting get involved in that trap.

It is a shame to see teams playing effortlessly, or playing to lose to avoid or select their opponents. It is part of the game…. yes,...... :down: the game of the cowards. What are those “champions” going to say at the ceremony receiving the trophy remembering players for other teams in sadness or crying after disqualification? Probably nothing, if they cheated to get there, they will not feel any remorse neither regreat.

Where is fair play game? Where are the sportsmanship and the love for the volleyball? It was unbelievable to see what happened the last day of this round, teams (Bra-Bul) blaming each other of cheating to go to the following part of the competition…..they both wanted to lose…..they both cheated. The million dollars question: Who is better loser, or better cheater? :cup: Brazil? because they had planned loosing, and “convincingly” lost the game, or Bulgaria? because they wanted to loose too, but they were not that “successful” and "accidentally" eded up winning?

Brazil knew in advance their intentions and used the media to organize the show ahead of time:
    -Bruno is really sick….really? :rolll: :rolll: :rolll: ..lol Hell yeah and Corinthianos and Palmeirenses love each other.
    -It was said through the media that Brazil wanted to loose to make a statement and show how ridiculous and ludicrous this formula is. :rolll: :rolll: :rolll: :rolll: Yeah…lololol it is true as it is more likely that the sun will rise tomorrow from the West. :rolll:

Making a statement would have been crashing BUL and saying “I am champion, I am the best despite the crazy formula and other teams maneuvering to loose.
    Giba…he is great player, though a master in manipulating….lol.

BTW I bet that Brazil will play in the next phase with all the “important players”, including the “sick” ones (Bruno).
    And Bulgaria how silly thinking to loose to a team that do not want to play ..lolololol. The only way you could have lost to Brazil was blindfolding your players. :rolll: lololololol. But, it was not nice playing with some bench players considering the particular circumstances of this WCH and due to the fact that a WCH is not a place to train players, is the opportunity for teams to shine, show their best players, and more important show respect to their adversaries.

I have heard a lot of excuses trying to justify the inexcusable, “my team is so young, wait to see them in the next Olympics”, “my players are injured, it would have been different if they would have been in good health”, my best player is not in his best shape”, “if it would not have been for Italy-FIVB complot”...... If youth, inexperience, health, or been physically out of shape were the causes for our teams’ defeats we should not take them to diminish those other teams accomplisments, those teams that took time to prepare, expose their players in international tournaments, keep them healthy and have realistic working plans. It sounds like some posts here go beyond resentments: “drinking the venom and waiting for the enemy to die of poisoning”.

PS: :thumbsup: Congratulations to Tunisia, Egypt, Cameron, Mexico, Argentina, Puerto Rico and Japan showed respect and courage to win. :flower:

• As I said before, Brazil - Bulgaria was the most ridiculous match of the WCH. It's a pitty because we all would like to see good matches, played by the main players and what is given us are two teams wanting to loose the match. Although the Bulgarians won the match, they didn't want to win as well and Brasil didn't even tried to fight a little bit ... :aww:
    It's a dark mark on these athletes carriers and it's FIVB's fault, it's seems they're trying at all cost to take away the respect volleyball has got in the world scenario. Now, I truly hope that Brazil beat both Germany and Czech R. because they are now playing against the audience too.

• Bruninho words in twitter:

"Good night! Many messages here and a lot understanding our side. Thanks God I'm now without fever, but I'm still with a cold. If it was a final of WCH or a decisive game I would have played for sure, but that was not the case. We have to think in what comes ahead! I hope that somehow FIVB sees what they did and think 20 times before making a regulament or formula to help someone! They not even let us before the competicion begins change Marlon that was sick! They do what they want! But its ok! Now really starts! We will make everything to make our country proud! I hope to be 100% tomorrow! Good night to everyone, thanks the care and I understand the critics..."

Rodrigão words:

"Hi, we just arrived in the hotel, I'm upset with the critics, but no one saw that their setter and libero was not even on court. IT was to much for us to arrive there and see them two in the tribuna and we with Bruno with fever inside our 12 players. That we cant take. But it was good that all that happened cause maybe like this Federation and Italy be ashamed and dont make anymore a ridiculous schedule like this. Not even telling that Bruno si playing alone. We asked to put someone in place of Marlon and FIVB interposed."

• all i have to say is that brazil nt never needed do this to win all their past trophies, and they have many of. so, something changed at this time that made they acting like this. :mad:

aand, if bulgaria played with such honor(!!!!!), they had a terrible team, cause an win of 18/25,20/25 and 20/25 its a shame, against a team that dont want to win at all. :sos:

• My opinion...of course bulgaria also didnt play to WIN WIN, or they would go with first team, that is obvious, or at least with part of the team, going with second setter and second libero, to all do respect to them is asking to loose to Brasil, and pretend not. But they went to play fair, and the guys inside court try to do their best. Putting second team is a decision. Now to loose on porpose like Brasil did is really ugly.

but at the end both teams were wrong, No matter if who did more right or wrong...both teams didnt go to win. That is the truth.

We can always put the argument that letting reserve players to play is always correct decision in sport, since they are prepared to win the games which the first team can't win and that these players - Bratoev, Sokolov are the ones who made the biggest problems for Brazil in the last WL game. After all, a team, which is uknown to Rezende has better chances to win against Brazil than our main team. Especially with different setter and opposite. Bulgaria didn't put much weaker squad on the field, while Brasil played much worse without their setter and Murilo. To put a player instead of a setter - THAT IS SUSPICIOUS CHANGE.

About Giba - he is out of shape, I don't think that he made anything on purpose to loose. He jumped on serve (the most exausting effort), he was there in defense too. He is just not that good now, that's all. May be he will be fit for the final, but I personally doubt that. He wasn't first choice in any of the important games for Brazil this year.

Mario Jr. is not that good at this competition, either. I don't think he faked in that game.

• all i have to say is that brazil nt never needed do this to win all their past trophies, and they have many of. so, something changed at this time that made they acting like this. :mad:

aand, if bulgaria played with such honor(!!!!!), they had a terrible team, cause an win of 18/25,20/25 and 20/25 its a shame, against a team that dont want to win at all. :sos:

Firstly, I don't think that Brazil didn't want to win at all - the just didn't care about the outcome.
    Secondly - we made too much mistakes, in this tournament Bulgarian team makes a lot of mistakes every game. 27 for 3 sets. If we could play more correct game the game would be 15-25, 15-25, 15-25

Let me tell you sth.. Have you ever played anything similar to sports in your life? Or even something more serious, not just for fun? well, I have, and I can tell you it's not fun playing against a team that came out to lose points on purpose.. you can't beat those teams 25-0 simply because at some time you'd stop caring! And another difference, why do you think Prandi instructed the guys on court to play as much as they can (those are exact words during one of the first time-outs)? I saw no tactics like this in the Brazilian team! Besides, don't blame Prandi for resting Kaziyski, Nikolov, Salparov, when Murilo and Bruno were never meant to play..

And don't tell me to go look in the mirror (I didn't quote the guy, it was in a previous post)! I perfectly know what I am gonna see, but do you think Giba and Bernardinho would love what they will see when they look in the mirror?

To stop the centennial polemics, in this forum we can do nothing but point out fingers or showing anger.. nothing depends on us, let's pray the powerful people got the point! I never said we're saints, but I said that we have 14 players ready to come out and play, because we came to play, even though that sometimes we play as much as the opponent allows us to! I'd have defended any other team that did the same thing tonight instead of ours and for myself I think I am right! So, makes no sense to continue the pointless discussion, I was only ashamed when my team lost to the Czechs because of bad performance, now I am not ashamed by them at all, sorry! Full stop!

• Everything has been already said. I don't have anything else to add. I just want to say that I'm extremly disappointed with the attitude of two teams that I have always supported. Brazil and Serbia disappointed me in the most terrible way. I always considered Serbia and Brazil as amazing teams with great character. Unfortunately these championships completly changed my opinion. I thought that those two teams will play fair as they used to, unfortunately...they let me down.
    This is just ridiculous. I cannot understand what's going on with volleyball...I'm sorry that in today's volleyball cheating is acceptable, what's more it's propagated. It's sad...just sad. I'm not gonna watch this stupid tournament anymore...Damn, this is fuckin' ridiculous...
    Teams like Poland are already true champions, no matter which place they will have after this WCh. I'm still disappointed with weird way we finished those two last matches, but...our attitude was...♥ I love u guys, thanku. I'm really proud of u.