NORCECA's 2010 Pan American Cup

• Brazil
    beats Mexico in straights sets

TIJUANA, Mexico, June 24, 2010 – Brazil beat Mexico 3-0
    (25-11,
    25-10, 25-23) in a contest for the 5-10 positions of the
    Women’s
    Volleyball Pan American Cup.

Isabella Da Silveira and Ana Beatriz Silva each recorded11 Tallies to lead the winners while Sthefanie Tiele added 10 points. Mexican Samantha Bricio carried most of the loadfor Mexico with a match-high 20 points.

“We played a good game for the first two sets but we didn’t in the third,” Brazilian Rosane Andrade said. “The Important thing is that we got the victory.”
    Brazilian Coach Luizomar de Moura said: “For the first time in the competition we were the favourites, which was

important for our players. They were focused in the first two sets andthen lost it in the third. For the future when they play against teams of their age it is important to avoid this composure.
    Overall I am satisfied with the team.”

Mexican Jose Alfredo Bernal said: “We didn’t have the fighting spirit for the first two sets and then I used some of the players who are competing for a spot in our junior team and they played with a lot of desire in the third set against a more

relaxed Brazilian team.”

• Canada defeats
    Trinidad & Tobago

ROSARITO, Mexico, June 24, 2010 – Canada defeated Trinidad & Tobago in straight sets(25-19, 25-18, 25-15) in an eliminatory match for the 5-10 positions of the Women’s Volleyball Pan American Cup.

Sarah Pavan led Canada with 11 tallies and Tonya Mokelki and Tammy Mahon added 9 and 8 points to the winning effort. Channon Thompson topped the

defeated side with 10 points and Rheeza Grant charted 8 points.

“Trinidad is agood team, they came out every set, every game, with big blocks. They are a very athletic team. We really knew that we had to

take our game seriously. We kept elevated our game. That’s what we did and we got this result”, said Mahon.

“I think we didn’t have a good start until the first technical time out andwe won after four losses against very tough teams”, said

Canada’s coach Arnd Ludwig.

• Peru
    returns to FIVB WGP since 1994

TIJUANA, Mexico, June 24, 2010 – Peru became the fourth and last team from the Ninth Women’s Volleyball Pan American Cup to claim a ticket to next year’s FIVB World Grand Prix by completing the round of semi finalists following a 3-1 (16-25, 25-17, 25-18, 25-21) victory against Argentina. Next match for Peru
    will be against Cuba on Friday.The return of Peru to the FIVB premier women’s annual competition in 2011 will mark its second since they tookpart in
    the 1994 edition.Veteran Leyla Chihuan and Jessenia Uceda led the winners
    with 17 and 16 points while Georgina Pinedo had a match-high 19 points or the defeated side.“We are very happy because we’ve accomplished our two
    main goals of being in the Final Four and in the FIVB World Grand Prix,” Chihuan stated. “We have had a great tournament since welost our first match against USA. To qualify to the Grand Prix for a lot of us is like an award. It is like Mission accomplished.”“We knew that some time we would be playing against Argentina so we studied them a lot,” assistant coach Edwin Jimenez said. “So it has been a collective work from both players and coaches. It is another step and I hope we can continue to grow.”

Horacio Bastit of Argentina said: “We leave the match with a bad taste in our mouth because we had an illusion after winning the first set. We paid because of our inexperience and Peru made the adjustments against the strong serves of Lucia (Fresco) and Georgina (Pinedo). The three sets won by Peru were all

deserved.”

• Dominican
    Republic advances to semifinals and GP 2011

TIJUANA, Mexico, June 24, 2010 – Dominican Republic advanced to the semifinals of the Women’s Volleyball Pan American Cup and also earned a ticket to next year’s FIVB World Grand Prix by defeating Puerto Rico in straight sets (25-21, 25-23, 25-23) on Thursday. The Dominicans will play USA on Friday’s semifinals.
    The match finished with consecutive yellow cards showed to both teams after several warnings.

Prisilla Rivera and Annerys Vargas paced Dominican Republic with 13 and 11 points respectively. Milagros Cabral added 9 and Altagracia Mambru and Lisvel Eve contributed with 8 points. Puerto Rican Sarai Alvarez led all the players with 22 points.
    “It was our first 3-0 victory but it wasn’t our best match of the competition. “Our rhythm was slow,” Cabral said. “Otherwise we are happy with advancing to the semifinals and getting the ticket to the Grand Prix.”
    “We achieved our first goal of qualifying to the Grand Prix and now we can go after one of the medals,” Marcos Kwiek said.

“Puerto Rico battled without libero and without some of their main players. It is difficult to play up to your capacity when
    you look to the other side and don’t see a strong team even though the Puerto Ricans fought hard.”

• June 25, 2010

Classification 9

Mexico- Trinidad and Tobago

Classification 5-8

Winner Class. 5-10 1 or 2- PuertoRico
    Winner Class. 5-10 1 or 2- Argentina

Semifinals

United States- Dominican Republic
    Cuba- Peru

• Congratulations Peru and Dominican Republic. I hope Peru wins first Gold Medal ^^ Maybe FIVB create Grand Prix with 16 Teams with system of competition like in World League. Why not?

• Mexico
    finished in ninth position

TIJUANA, Mexico, June 25, 2010 – Mexico claimed the ninth position at the Women’s Volleyball Pan American Cup by defeating Trinidad & Tobago 3-1 (25-21, 18-25, 25-21, 26-24) on Friday.
    Andrea Rangel compiled 28 points and Samantha Bricio contributed 17 to the Mexican victory. Kelly-Anne Billingy had 17 points for

the losers while Sinead Jack and Channon Thompson added 14 and 11 respectively.

“Our team was focused and showed great fighting spirit,”Mexican coach Jose Bernal said. “Also we had very good defense

n the fourth set.”

“All the credit to the Mexican team,” Francisco Cruz said. “They played good defense and took advantage of our unforced errors.”

• Puerto
    Rico edges Brazil in five sets

ROSARITO, Mexico, June 25, 2010 - Puerto Rico scored a dramatic five-set victory over Brazil (25-21, 19-25, 25-22, 17-25, 15-12) advancing to a match for the fifth position of the Women’s Volleyball Pan American Cup.Sarai Alvarez converted 27 points, while Stephanie Enright finished with 15, Alexandra Oquendo
    added 12 and Tatiana Encarnacion contributed 10. Brazilian Gabriela Guimaraes, registered 17 points, Ana Beatriz Silva had 14 and Sthefanie Tiele and Carolina Wond Held charted 13 and 10respectively.Puerto Rico had a great rival, said Captain, Vilmarie Mojica. “We are satisfied for winning it. We had to
    make some adjustments because we had good rallies and atthe same time we couldn’t capitalize our services”, she stated.
    Puerto Rico had a great performance. We must improve some aspects in our youth team which is preparing for the South American Championship in this category. But
    you can be sure that these girls are the future of Brazil”, Coach Luizomar De Moura said.

• Peru
    stuns Cuba and advances to gold medal match

TIJUANA, Mexico, June 25, 2010 – Peru scored a stunning straight sets victory against Cuba advancing to the gold medal match of the Women’s Volleyball Pan American Cup. The scores were25-18, 25-23, 25-23.

Jessenia Uceda and Karla Ortiz topped the winning side with 14 and 13 points respectively while Yulissa Zamudio charted9. Cuban Kenia Carcaces had a match-high 18 points and Rachel Sanchez compiled 9.
    “One of our dreams have come true and that was to battlefor a gold medal after so many years,” Peruvian Leyla Chihuan said. “But the job is not complete yet. We never thought abouta 3-0 victory but those things happen in sports.”
    “This is a victory we dedicate to all the Peruvian people,” Peruvian assistant coach Edwin Jimenez said. “Everythingcame out well for us today. We played good defense and kept the focus during the whole match.”
    Cuban coach Juan Carlos Gala said: “Peru played a perfect game with great defense and a tactical serves.”

• Argentina

to play Puerto Rico for fifth place

ROSARITO, Mexico, June 25, 2010 -
    Argentina
    defeated Canada in an epic battle of five sets (25-20,
    25-22,
    21-25, 23-25, 15-8) and now will play Puerto Rico for
    fifth
    place.

Georgina Pinedo and Emilce Sosa were the
    leaders
    of a team that had battle against a group of taller
    rivals who
    showed great power and good reception. Pinedo converted
    points while Sosa, the volley-soccer sensation, tallied
    Florencia Carlotto had 14 points, Lucía Fresco added 11
    and
    Leticia Boscacci contributed 10.

Canada relied on Sarah Pavan, who
    finished with
    20 points while Sherline Holness finished with 13, and
    Jenniffer
    Hinze notched 12. Tonya Mokelki also contributed 11.

“We were not a powerful team on the
    attack but we
    had a lot of variations that helped us for this win. The
    key was
    in our depth of field”, said Argentinean coach Horacio
    Bastit.

“We must also give credit to Canada, a
    team that
    knew how to get back. It is so difficult to do what they
    did,
    and they made us to play harder after a bitter loss the
    day
    before (against Peru)”, stated Pinedo.

• Dominican
    Republic plays spectacular volleyball to reach gold
    medal match

TIJUANA, Mexico, June 25, 2010 – Dominican Republic cameback from one set down and played spectacular volleyball to
    defeat USA 3-1 (22-25, 25-23, 25-22, 25-16) advancing to the gold medal match of the Women’s Pan American Cup for third
    consecutive year.

Prisilla Rivera led four Dominicans in double digits with 20 points while Annerys Vargas, Altagracia Mambru and Lisvel Eve compiled 15, 14 and 12 points respectively. Americans Jordan Larson and Foluke Akiradewo each had 12 points for the defeated side.
    “Today we played as a team and followed the instructionswith discipline,” Dominican Captain Milagros Cabral said. “Wereally

came prepared to play five sets because always there is abattle
    between these two teams. Making the finals was one of our goals and we accomplished it.”

Dominican Republic’s Coach Marcos Kwiek added: “Of all the tournaments I have been at the helm of the Dominican team this

has been our worst but today we had our best match of the competition. We came prepared to play five sets against tough American team and we have been working very hard for several months.”

American Captain Nancy Metcalf said: “Their defense was impressive. Our team needs to improve and play the kind of game we have been practicing for many months.”
    USA’s Coach Hugh McCutcheon stated: “It was a great match. It’s always a battle between us and today they were the better team. Now we have to go back and prepare for tomorrow’s match.”

• Can anybody help to tell me?
    1)The two teams in final will have right to play 2011 WGP?
    2)Is there any other preliminary tournaments for being in 2011 WGP?If not that means we lose Brazil USA and Cuba in 2011 WGP? :what:
    Thank you.

2)Is there any other preliminary tournaments for being in 2011 WGP?If not that means we lose Brazil USA and Cuba in 2011 WGP? :what:
    Thank you.

There is only one tournament ^^ Dominican Republic, Peru, USA and Cuba is in World Grand Prix 2011. Brazil can't participate next year.

Thank you.

There were three spots to norceca's teams: Dominican Republic, USA, Cuba, and one spot to South American teams, in this case Perú. If there aren´t wild cards Brazil won't participate next WGP

• There were three spots to norceca's teams: Dominican Republic, USA, Cuba, and one spot to South American teams, in this case Perú. If there aren´t wild cards Brazil won't participate next WGP

Poland NT has guaranteed the WC in 2011 Tournament. :rose:

the only chance for BRA is replace some qualified team that is determined to give up participating WGP 2010..... :obey:

like this year, Chinese taipei as a substitute of Korea Republic, the latter withdrew from 2010 edition :white:

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• Thank Bartek,Nostromo,pappi for answering my question. :rose:

To pappi you mean Poland has the wild card for World Cup?So is there any wild card for WGP 2011? :what:

Well I expressed my disappointment and kinda anger in other post about Brazil giving up 2011 WGP.I know perhaps the WGP will be close to 2011 Pan American Games.However if Peru could make it why not stronger Brazil?Brazil could send their second class players to be in Military Game for a ,shall I say not very important champion but easily and kinda unadvisably giving up WGP2011.Why not just send the military team to Pan American Cup?And is it so significant to win world youth championship?I don't quite understand. :wall: All I can think is that Brazil will definitely hold again a stop of WGP.So they could spoil the Pan American Cup.

• Thank Bartek,Nostromo,pappi for answering my question. :rose:

To pappi you mean Poland has the wild card for World Cup?So is there any wild card for WGP 2011? :what:

Well I expressed my disappointment and kinda anger in other post about Brazil giving up 2011 WGP.I know perhaps the WGP will be close to 2011 Pan American Games.However if Peru could make it why not stronger Brazil?Brazil could send their second class players to be in Military Game for a ,shall I say not very important champion but easily and kinda unadvisably giving up WGP2011.Why not just send the military team to Pan American Cup?And is it so significant to win world youth championship?I don't quite understand. :wall: All I can think is that Brazil will definitely hold again a stop of WGP.So they could spoil the Pan American Cup.

terribly sorry for the misunderstanding brought to you. WC here means wild card as what you mentioned in your topic (WGP qualifications)....

last year, ze roberto has expressed his plan for this year, BRA NT will not participate any other competitiosn apart from WGP and WCh. in 2010. too many international matches may exhaust players and easily to get injuried from the high level competitions. at moment, carol, paula, sassa, thaisa, fabiana, sheilla are suffering from different body hurts, hopefully a gathering covocation si quite significant for a smooth teamwork...

off topic: i think CSV may do something to bring more south american teams involved into WGP, only one BRAZIL is still not enough for the glory of south america...
    be kidding, i think brasil gives up the next year WGP is just an action to balance the south american power in world level competitions. this might be also CSV and other countries demands. thank you for what you did, BRAZIL.

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• Congratulations Dominican Republic! The team won over Peru in 3 sets.

Final Rankings:

1). Dominican Republic
    2). Peru
    3). USA
    4). Cuba
    5). Argentina
    6). Puerto Rico
    7). Canada
    8). Brazil
    9). Mexico
    10). Trinidad and Tobago
    11). Costa Rica

MVP is Priscilla Rivera of Dominican Republic

DR, Peru, USA and Cuba all qualified for World Grand Prix 2011. :thumbsup:

"[size=8]It's years and years of work and sacrifice and dedication. Along with a lot of these girls, we've sweat and we've bled and we've cried together in past Olympics. It just brought tears to my eyes, & I'm more than thrilled. This will be forever." -LOGAN MAILE LEI TOM (Silver Medallist - 2008 Beijing & 2012 London Olympic Games, 2011 World Cup runner up, 2003 & 2007 World Cup 3rd place, 2002 World Champs runner up, 4-time World GrandPrix Champs)

• Canada
    defeats Brazil in match for seventh place

TIJUANA, Mexico, June 26, 2010 – Canada defeated Brazil 3-1 (25-18, 11-25, 25-14, 25-22) to finish in seventh place in the Women’s Pan American Cup.

Canadian Sarah Pavan rocketed 22 points to lead the winning side while Sherline Holness and Tammy Mahon added 13 and 12 respectively. Brazil’s Isabela Da Silveira led her side with 12 tallies while Ana Silva and Eduarda Kraisch registered 11 and 10 points.
    “Our seventh place this year is better than the seventh place of last year because twice we played five sets against Argentina and also battle against Cuba and Dominican Republic,” Canada’s coach Arnd Ludwig said.
    Captain Tammy Mahon added: “We have more depth in our team now and Sarah (Pavan) is a big addition. Our coach is in hissecond year and we are on a better path and really focused on where we want to go.”
    Brazil’s coach Luizomar DeMoura said: “The Brazilian Confederation is working on a long-term basis and we aresure

this competition will be of great help in the future forour young group of players.”