Montreux 2010

• I'm sorry for the dutch girls, they seemed to playa bit better today over all, but faced a stronger opponent. I think Russia is the strongest team, and very likely will be the winner. It is nice to see Goncharova there and I think Startseva did a good match.

• USA and China confirm their dominance in Montreux

Montreux, Switzerland, June 9, 2010. The second day of the Volley Masters started in a great manner with the USA finally overcoming Germany 3:1 after a spectacular game. Then, while the Netherlands could not find a solution against a powerful and well coordinated China (0:3), Russia defeated Japan in three sets.
    Lucky were the spectators who have been able to leave work earlier on Wednesday afternoon and enjoyed the game opposing the USA to Germany. From the very beginning, the German players dominated their opponents to finally win the first set 25-19. The second set started in a similar way and Germany was up by 8 points. However after substituting their setter Mary Spicer for Courtney Thomson, the Americans managed to catch up and came into the game. The incredibly exciting end of the second set kept the public in suspense, and the USA had to wait 11 set balls before winning on the score of 35 to 33! McCutcheon’s players, after speeding up their game and taking advantage at the same time from a decline on the German side, could steadily win the following two sets (25-20 then 25-22) and therefore obtain their second victory of the tournament. Beside the defeat, Germany can be proud of the resistance they offered and especially of the manner they entered the match.
    On the second game, the Netherlands fought well against China but this was not enough and they were overpowered 3:0. After yesterday’s defeat against Cuba, the Dutch would need a little miracle in order to take part in this week-end’s semi-finals. In addition, tonight China left on the bench their star Yimei Wang like on the previous evening. But even without her on the court, the Chinese team was stable and successful at executing its offensive system while the Dutch got into troubles and their young setter could not find any good solution. During each set, the Asians were leading the way, under the watchful eye of Jizhong Wei, President of the FIVB. The bronze medalists from the 2008 Olympic Games could usually find a way to pass the Dutch block, which was lacking of coordination. On the other hand, the Chinese wall became stronger and stronger, and particularly effective in the last set, in which they stamped 7 out of their 15 blocks for the match.
    The last match of the evening featured a motivated and perfectly organized Japanese squad on one side against Russia coming back to Montreux after an absence of two years. While the spectators were expecting a tied game between both teams, the suspense did not last long since the Russians quickly took the advantage over their opponents. An evident height difference (an average of 186 cm for the Eastern Europeans compared to 176 cm for the Asians) helped Russia control the Japanese offense by touching an incalculable number of balls with their block. The Russian game seemed however predictable since it exclusively turned on three players (Fateeva, Goncharova and Kosheleva). But the Japanese could not find their way around and were defeated after 72 minutes on the score of 25-16, 25-19 and 25-21.

"Lo sbaglio più grande e quello di credere di aver vinto prima ancora di giocare la partita"

• I remember that in 2004 Cuba win against Russia in tie break 25-23. Match end after Hour of Spirits ;-) Maybe someone know where are statistics from 2004 year.

• Kidding aside, what happened to Angelina Grün? She was Germany's main attacker before. Will there be a chance to see her again this World Championships?

No, unfortunately Angelina Gruen retired from indoor volleyball last year....and she now started a new career as beach volley player! :aww:

• aaaajjj so close :whistle:

we re playing well-that's the good thing, the bad thing is-we cant play tight sets.

anyway i'm happy that our young girls are showing some nice volleyball in here i was expecting something a lot worse than that :thumbup:

Anyone can support a team that is winning - it takes no courage. But to
    stand behind a team to defend a team when it is down and really needs
    you, that takes a lot of courage.

• I love those non stop games. Fortunately novasports3 show all the games live and in the morning recorded games.
    Flier showed how a real captain has to act in the square. (except her last mistake in 23-22 which she erase taking the two last points and end the maths)
    Just perfect

• anyway i'm happy that our young girls are showing some nice volleyball in here i was expecting something a lot worse than that

I agree with you mateo. Poland young team stand very good in the field. The game was lovely :thumbsup:

• The greek commentator said at least 5 times in this first set that Goncharova is almost 2 meters and obviously beautiful. I think that he like her LOL! :rolll:

• what an amazing match Cuba and China are playing right now.2-2 so intense...it looks like a Olimpic gold medal match rather than friendly meeting xD thay are fighting so much and Silva is simply epic. one of the coolest player that has ever step onto volleyball court :thumbsup:

vamos !!

• Yeah, really amazing game and Cuba have really improved the last weeks ! Agree with that Silva is fantastic but I must give credit to Kenia Carsases too, she´s a really brilliant player with one of the best serves I´ve ever seen.

Will also be nice to see russia against USA tomorrow, can be a good fight I think. USA will for sure be underdog, but im impressed of what I´ve seen of Megan Hodge especially. Russia played also good against Germany, great performance by Goncharova.

• CUBA!!! :cup:
    love this match really do xD
    they had such an amazing team spirit today, they really wanted to win this match and it was really first time i've seen Cuba so motivated and determinated to win a match.

and Silva uhh you girl are amazing , your name is landing in my favourite player section right now xD such a lovely smile :love: :heart: what a cool player xD and her sream while serving-epic xD

and of course Kenia was amazing today. her spikes are so impressive she spikes like a man xD

• Great game last night between China and Cuba!!! I just didn't want to end this games. Silva was an artist yesterday. She draw in the field :love:

• CUBA!!! :cup:
    love this match really do xD
    they had such an amazing team spirit today, they really wanted to win this match and it was really first time i've seen Cuba so motivated and determinated to win a match.

and Silva uhh you girl are amazing , your name is landing in my favourite player section right now xD such a lovely smile :love: :heart: what a cool player xD and her sream while serving-epic xD

and of course Kenia was amazing today. her spikes are so impressive she spikes like a man xD

amazing performance by cubans girls, apsolutly deeferent what they showing in china,
    and yes, silva is what they needed, some other girl who playing very well with kenia carcaces which was the best player of cuba in chines tournament,
    they really want that win, what are happiness when the game was over

congrats to cuban girls

• I wasn't expecting the Cuban team to play like it is playing right now. But I am happy that there are a lot of young talented Cuban players out there that can continue the volleyball tradition of Cuba. They are really, really gifted attackers. I was also wowed by Silva's performance. She has that Cuban attitude reminiscent of the Regla Bell and Mireya Luis era. :lol:

I'm really also happy about the US team performance. Hodge had a good game. I think that she needs more exposure to transition to the big time. Her attacking approach though kind of bothers me. It's like there is something different though I can't put a finger on it. It may be that she uses a different approach to the ball which makes her timing seem a little bit off. I also like what Nicole Fawcett brought to the court when she subbed Ogona. When she was on court with Hodge and Christina Harmotto, it looked like a Penn State (the 3 girls former NCAA team) team to me. I would have loved it if Foluke Akinradewo was there. Anyway, I'm excited as to how Hodge and Fawcett will fare against the Russian block. I wish Hugh would put Fawcett in to serve because she will cause a lot of problems to the Russian reception. They might win if they will exploit that.

Sorry for the long post. I hope the US or the Russians win the tournament. :)