Market coments

• Since were having so "discussions" this season over the market tranfers....I decided to open a new thread about it, so everything gets well placed.
    I hope you dont mind Ju, I didnt find a better name for it, so, if you do, or anyone has better idea...please...hehehehehe

I wanted to start with a fair question....

Due to the news that arrived yesterday from Italy, that president and biggest sponsor of Novara deciding to quite volleyball...I ask, could this be already a reflection of Fenerbahçe out of normal investments, I mean the inflation of players they started doing this season? I explain why I make this question, it is cause in Novara's president words when he justified his leaving he said (please Italians correct me If I'm wrong) as one of the reasons being the breaking of market balance. So I wonder if maybe cause of the clubs have no way to fight in market with Fenerbahçe....I guess that was one of my worries, when I talked about the inflation before.....

I make this question to open a serious discussion, the future of volleyball in clubs, and I would really enjoy to read the opinions of all.....with the biggest respect I hope, as always has been in the forum since I started here in december 2006, not the other way as has been lately hopely....:)

And before I be misunderstood by any Fenerbahçe fanatic fan, I'm not wanting to start a bad or good arguing about it....I'm just considerating a recent fact that can or can be not a reflection of Fenerbahçe inflation of players (could have been any other club I guess)...a very unpassionate, to think about discussion I hope to open... ;)

• Is it only Fenerbahce? I see it as Fenerbahce together with Vakif, Kazan, maybe Rabita and Lokomotiv Baku...there are probably others I haven't listed also. Fenerbahce has been the most active and most visible for sure.

Novara has been a favorite club of mine for several years, and I am very sad to see Caserta leaving. He was great for volleyball, and volleyball is better if he is involved. That being said, I can't blame others for escalating the market value of players. It is sad that the cost is a great volleyball supporter stepping away, but maybe we are getting several great supporters of volleyball in return? That remains to be seen...

• Another thing I wanted to let clear from my first coment that I have forgot to say before, I'm not saying that Novara's president is leaving only cause of that, or if the market was even a cause....on the other hand, I think Novara made a lot of mistakes lately....anyway, just to let clear, I want to keep hearing the opinions of all, about future of volleyball in clubs more exacly then just all this Fenerbahçe history, it was just an example to start from somewhere ;)

• I so glad gor making this thread joana. :thumbsup:
    I was getting tired with all this long discusions in transfers

• dont understand this discussion, when murcia transferred all the stars, no one complaines about it, the same with volero, and now fenerbahce invests some money and there is this crisis, in my opinion its just funny. You should thik about it, that volleyball is changing, chinese, koreanans japanese teams also offer some big money, but players want to play in europe, now russia, turkey and zerbaycan is investing in volleyball. maybe italy is not the same what it has been some years ago, where superstars played in one team like perugia in 2003/04 (metcalf, kiriloov, aguero, francia). if novara is closing, then this habs nothing to do with fenerbahce. its just about sponsors. its just good, volleyball is increasing its popularity in russia. turkey and azerbaycan, it would be nice if some french or german teams also make som process.

• dont understand this discussion, when murcia transferred all the stars, no one complaines about it, the same with volero, and now fenerbahce invests some money and there is this crisis, in my opinion its just funny. You should thik about it, that volleyball is changing, chinese, koreanans japanese teams also offer some big money, but players want to play in europe, now russia, turkey and zerbaycan is investing in volleyball. maybe italy is not the same what it has been some years ago, where superstars played in one team like perugia in 2003/04 (metcalf, kiriloov, aguero, francia). if novara is closing, then this habs nothing to do with fenerbahce. its just about sponsors. its just good, volleyball is increasing its popularity in russia. turkey and azerbaycan, it would be nice if some french or german teams also make som process.

thats all i wanna say !!! we never cried while italian teams were winning the cups and transfering big stars.. now time is our time. its not our problem if u ll close ur clubs...

• I think for me is not who invest more or anything.....even better if have more and more teams investing......the problem for me is weather the player will actually play or not.....what si teh sence to have people investing for players not to play.....for me that is bad for volleyball....

Murcia, Perugia, or other clubs like you said already invested so much.....and no one complained I think cause the players were actually playing...so that is beautiful.....Having a big team with many starts, seeing them playing is always great....

The problem with Fenerbahçe, is that everybodyy knows that they cant play!!!NOt all at once at least....If the rule in Turkey aloud 4, 5 foreigers, then great....they could all play and it was fine....but no they dont, so I dont agree with Fenerbahçe position for that.

For me dont matter if players want to make money, I think they are right on doing it....I would not take only money in consideration, but each player is each player....and I know a lot of people will say that players accepted this situation...indeed they did, that is why I'm telling since the beggining, is not that is something wrong is being done...omething not aloud, it is not that....I just dont agree! I dont agree with a club that takes that position...to go against own tournament rules just to win Champions...I think was not necessary, and as a volleyball lover I wont like to see Furst or Skowronska or any of them in bench....I repeat, it is not a bout investments, but about doing it in the right way.... ;)

• As far as I can understand, Fenerbahce here is just an example for clubs that spend generous amounts of money to form a team that almost seems unnecessarily strong. It is not very far-fetched to assume that these clubs transfer strategy causes an inflation in the market, however to assume that the inflation causes other teams to pack and leave is [far-fetched]. A more plausible reason for some teams to consider closing is that they are poorly managed. It's not a coincidence that most of the teams considering to shut down are the ones that were the cause of an inflation in the market in previous years. It is also very clear that successes don't pay-off the investments monetarily. Success in this sport (unfortunately) only pays off in recognition, which is also what the companies are looking for. So it is not hard for a potentially successful club to find sponsors. However it is hard for the clubs to make the companies to stay in this symbiotic relationship for a long period. Companies prefer a quick pay-off for their investments, so are willing to give huge amounts to ensure success. Recognition [of the companies] in the market shows a logarithmic function, meaning once the recognition reaches a certain level, it is hard to gain more with successful sponsorship alone. Therefore after a few years of investments and with a degree of success, companies realize that this sponsorship stop being profitable. This is the point where they start considering to break the sponsorship off, which in turn puts the clubs in a difficult position. The clubs that use the sponsor money for quick success and expensive transfers suffer more. The clubs that spend the money wisely (by acquiring prospects, improving the youth academy) are more stable.

Fenerbahce Acıbadem seems to take the wrong path here. They are the only team that will face the consequences for their spending spree. They will most surely not close down in a few years, since they are the volleyball division in a big sports club. But I predict they will have to resize considerably, if they keep investing in big names and keep forgetting the young ones they already had in their roster.

• You have right to criticize Fenerbahce or any other team's monopol policy on the market and damaging balances between the teams but you may not exactly say what will happen before the season ends. Yes there are similiar examples in the past of European Volleyball but it doesnt mean Fenerbahce will end through the same way. As for monopoly. There are many teams on other sports trying to build an hegemony like Spartak Moscow Region and other Russian teams with abnormal budgets in Women Basketball so this season FIVB got new regulations to prevent some teams damage competition's consistence. And I can say Euroleague will be more balanced compared past seasons. Current rules in Volleyball allow monopolization. Maybe CEV should also try some arrangments but as far as I can see CEV doesnt seem to make something about it for now.

Fenerbahce is not that lucky and has not the same conditions with Spartak. As if I were you, I would not bother that much thinking about it because Fenerbahce has foreign limit inside country. This is a big problem to get through. Team managers have chosen hard way to get the goals maybe the club is right on its choice. We will see it on next stage. If Fenerbahce fails, the team will probably lose its Turkish players and it will be very hard to rebuild it. So it may be a good example for other clubs intending the same way. If Fenerbahce gets an happy ending then other clubs will have to get their budgest higher to compete with Fenerbahce and this is not something bad for competition and players. Fenerbahce or any similiar club have money and they can spend it any way they want unless CEV wont make something. It's not our business to say someone having money that he should spend his money like that way not this way.

Here is the difference:

When Murcia transferred all their stars, there was no one existing in the club who was very good. So the stars they transferred didn't take the place of other great players. Notice no one is complaining about Russian, Azeri and other Turkish clubs. They are not sending great young players to the bench - only Fenerbahce is doing this.

I have a different question for those who know the director of Fenerbahce:

When he wins Champions League, do you think he will keep his interest in volleyball, or do you think he will get bored when he accomplishes his goal? Also, is he investing in a Fenerbahce volleyball school for young players - getting great coaches, and trying to win at the youth levels of the sport also?

• If only Fenerbahce fans could understand this (including M.A. Aydınlar). Sigh!
    Especially the remarks you made in the other topic was spot on. Naz, Eda and Seda should play, not only in league games but in champions league games as well.
    Fenerbahce can win this year with or without them. That's no problem. But if they want to have a shot to win it in for example 2013, they should let them play.

As for your questions:

He might. This sponsorship is actually nothing like the ones you see across Europe. After he lost his only son in a car accident a few years back, he became more involved in sports, especially with volleyball (He is also a chairman in Turkish Football Federation). It seems like he finds some kind of condolence when dealing with athletes. Moreover, he is a big fan of the club. It would be correct to say that he has an emotional attachment to the club. However, he is also a business man. He might decide a cut back in a few years, when it becomes obvious to him, that this kind of a strategy is a bottomless pit, chewing everything you can throw in it.

I am not aware of any improvements he made for the young players. I didn't hear of any coach changes or what so ever. Although it would be wrong to assume, that he is not planning anything in future. Besides Fenerbahce is a sports club which can offer amazing perks to young players. As far as I can remember they have a high school (college), and planning to establish a university. The infrastructure of the club is world class. They only need a better system to choose players and a great youth coach.