Olympic Games - London 2012 Women (qualification process)

• So would you be glad (I think the fact that you're american makes it hard for you to understand the importance of ethnic roots in the building of a nation) to see people that have nothing in common with your country representing it? And raylight is right in that case that if someone is born in the country, he knows it's history, problems, language, etc., he is considered a representative (figuratively speaking there is nothing wrong to be black and represent Sweden if you're name is Larsson, for ex). And, yes, you're right about the coaches, but they're the smallest issue - they aren't at the focus of the cameras as much as the players and they don't wear those national jerseys to say the least. But still, it's not right and I'm glad that at least in our male NT the coach is Bulgarian.

Lol really? "there is nothing wrong to be black and represent Sweden if you're name is Larsson" If this is not considered xenophobic I don't know what is. If you need someone to be exactly like you are in every shape and form to feel like you have something in common with them, then my friend I feel sorry for you.

• My Dears

We live in a free
    world
    I whistle down the wind
    carry on smiling
    and the world will smile with you
    Life is a flower
    so precious in your hand
    carry on smiling
    and the world will smile with you

• Lol really? "there is nothing wrong to be black and represent Sweden if you're name is Larsson" If this is not considered xenophobic I don't know what is. If you need someone to be exactly like you are in every shape and form to feel like you have something in common with them, then my friend I feel sorry for you.

How do you want him to express it in an other way?

You can interpret the sentence in your own - negative - way, like you do - but in fact he says nothing wrong. Don't forget for 95 % of the members (not you), English is not their domestic language, so keep that in mind, reading and reacting :!: :!:

• Lol really? "there is nothing wrong to be black and represent Sweden if you're name is Larsson" If this is not considered xenophobic I don't know what is. If you need someone to be exactly like you are in every shape and form to feel like you have something in common with them, then my friend I feel sorry for you.

People can have friends from other countries, like we here, but that doesn't mean that their friends should represent people's country if they are not part of it. The question is when someone becomes part of given country - if he lived there his whole life, most of his life, part of his life. I think that any athlete should represent the country which made him such, if any money are invested in him. If he is self- made, he has no debt to anyone and can do whatever he wants.

• I hope you guys aren't offended by this French team I mean they have a Spanish, Ukranian, Polish, Croatian, and a Norwegian born player on the roster!!

• That is an interesting point Raylight to know when someone can be considered part of that country, but that is a complex question so let it to the sociologists

But about something i am sure, the people who represent a country by money, or cause don't get space in your own nation due to a tough competition i will NEVER be for :!:

• I said figuratively speaking but you took it as literary speaking

Ofcourse it has nothing to do with the surname. I meant that this Swedish surname shows that, although a black man, he has swedish (I repeat, this is an example, can be norwegian, chinese, italian, cambodian and so on) roots because his father is from Sweden. That was a metaphoric example... And I have nothing against black people or Swedes or Americans in general.
    I'll give you another example and I hope you won't take it as literary as the previous.
    You americans for some reasons consider yourself as patriots (yesterday I think was sth like a soldier's day and soldiers were celebrated in hockey matches) and you are prowd of your troops. Imagine this picture. There is a war between USA and Russia. But both USA and RUSSIA use only chinese soldiers(mercenaries). Who will win? WIll that show that the American people are better in war than Russian?
    The same is with sport. If they allow in 100% the naturalisation the best countries will be the richest...which is against the rules of sport.

• I said figuratively speaking but you took it as literary speaking

Ofcourse it has nothing to do with the surname. I meant that this Swedish surname shows that, although a black man, he has swedish (I repeat, this is an example, can be norwegian, chinese, italian, cambodian and so on) roots because his father is from Sweden. That was a metaphoric example... And I have nothing against black people or Swedes or Americans in general.
    I'll give you another example and I hope you won't take it as literary as the previous.
    You americans for some reasons consider yourself as patriots (yesterday I think was sth like a soldier's day and soldiers were celebrated in hockey matches) and you are prowd of your troops. Imagine this picture. There is a war between USA and Russia. But both USA and RUSSIA use only chinese soldiers(mercenaries). Who will win? WIll that show that the American people are better in war than Russian?
    The same is with sport. If they allow in 100% the naturalisation the best countries will be the richest...which is against the rules of sport.

1. There is strong correlation between the economics of a country and their success in sports. Countries that invest typically have better teams.
    2. Come up with a less drastic hypothetical situation and perhaps I'll consider furthering this debate. You need to take sports less seriously and relax your fixed notion of what it is to be a "national" fit to represent your country in something as trivial and for purely entertainment purposes as sports are. At the end of the day it's a game, if you allow a game to offend your moral and ethical beliefs, please send me your address and I will get you a masseur out to your house as soon as possible.

• Netherlands and France have both setters with number 14 :set:

It's possible, you just have to believe in yourself and really not care what other people say, because I've heard it all.
    If you let someone else dictate what you're going to do in life, then you won't get there.

Non so neanche come onestamente: in due mesi ero di nuovo in campo.

• 2nd set Netherlands 27-25 France

France had a few setpoints..

Debby Stam saved the set by 2 consecutive blocks.

• 1. There is strong correlation between the economics of a country and their success in sports. Countries that invest typically have better teams.
    2. Come up with a less drastic hypothetical situation and perhaps I'll consider furthering this debate. You need to take sports less seriously and relax your fixed notion of what it is to be a "national" fit to represent your country in something as trivial and for purely entertainment purposes as sports are. At the end of the day it's a game, if you allow a game to offend your moral and ethical beliefs, please send me your address and I will get you a masseur out to your house as soon as possible.

Sport is not only a game because billions of dollars are made from it. But, ok, I'll stop arguing because we're both right for ourselves and further arguing won't make any sense.

• 3rd set:

Netherlands 25-20 France

France served well this match, causing troubles in Dutch reception many times :!:

Final:

Croatia - Netherlands

• 1. There is strong correlation between the economics of a country and their success in sports. Countries that invest typically have better teams.

There is correlation but I don't think it is that strong, since the transfer function money/achievement is fuzzy enough. More money do not guarantee success if the methods of training are poor. Besides, correlation does not imply causation.
    P.S. I agree that sport should not be compared to war. It is a game, entertainment and national PR, not desperate act when all measures are exhausted. Sport is good for your health, not like war. Make sport, not war :drink:

• There is correlation but I don't think it is that strong, since the transfer function money/achievement is fuzzy enough. More money do not guarantee success if the methods of training are poor. Besides, correlation does not imply causation.
    P.S. I agree that sport should not be compared to war. It is a game, entertainment and national PR, not desperate act when all measures are exhausted. Sport is good for your health, not like war. Make sport, not war :drink:

Jesus, you take it all seriously. I didn't mean sport is like war.

• Holland-Hrvatska.....mm i think Croatia will be a tougher opponent to Holland ,in comparison with France.Holland is supposed to beat Croatia, but without Flier....its hard to say that Holland is clear favourite.Good luck Holland and FliyingDutchman!