Olympic Games - London 2012 Women (qualification process)

• I think Osmokrovic is just not interested in playing on NT. She wants to have some spare time and be with her family. She played on NT since she was very young and she probably had enough at some point, especially since their federation is very poorly run. And even back then she complained all the time.

• From here: http://www.cev.lu/Competition-…98&PID=1141&type=Overview it seems ranking points (3 for 3:0/3:1, 2 for 3:2, 1 for 2:3) are most important, so Matt would be right.

Croatia was very good in reception until Rabadzhieva came to serve :white:

Believe me. I doubt that CEV will apply different rules than FIVB.

I remember WL 2011 finals and pool with Poland. Poland beat 3:2 Bulgaria and than lost 0:3 to Italy (we has 2 points after 2 matches). Than Bulgaria beat Italy 3:0 and they had 1 win and 2 lost (4 points) and Poland had 1:1 and needed to win with Argentina even 3:2 (+2 points) because the most important was win-lost ratio even if Bulgaria was better in small points. It's a bit different case but I remember how Polish commentators said that in cases like this points are not important only win-lost. It would be really strange if Netherlands winning 2 matches will be out by Russia with 1 win and 2 lost.

• Im pretty sure the criteria is ranking points first, then win/loss ratio, then sets ratio..also in FIVB.

Would make no sense to have 3-2 victory giving different points then 3-1 or 3-0 win If the victory counted before the ranking points...then just count victories and defeats, instead of points...right?

• We will know tomorrow ;) but either way honestly I don't think NED can beat RUS, they looked much improved today and usually they are a team who gets better from day to day, so it will be very very hard for NED.

Easy victory for Bulgaria, so if Germany loses to Turkey we will see another real quarterfinal tomorrow. Good luck to Germany, unfortunately I won't be home to watch :(

By the way World Cup last year also used point system and I am sure there this was first criterion and win/lose was 2nd.

• Huuuum, that's bad! I hope they figured out how to overcome this situation.

Thanks Matthias and Joanamss! ;)

• Good victory for our girls but in some instances they seriously rasp my nerves with as thin file. Very much errors, poor reception. Also Eva plays very weak. It seemed to me that in Dinamo she had a better reception but in this tournament she is weak. And i think that we cannot beat Germany but i hope so that we will not give up easily.

• I just started to doubt in that what I'm writing :lol: IMO points are important if you have the same ratio in win-lost. It would be really strange that team which won 2 matches will be lower than team which won only 1.
    I don't remember case like this in the past, so first will be tomorrow ;)

• Points were the most important in WC and WGP, then win/loss. I think the same is here.

Could you quote any situation? As I see it wasn't situation like that in the past. At WC everyone had 11 matches, here only 3 and probability of situation like this is much less. The same WGP.

• I just started to doubt in that what I'm writing :lol: IMO points are important if you have the same ratio in win-lost. It would be really strange that team which won 2 matches will be lower than team which won only 1.
    I don't remember case like this in the past, so first will be tomorrow ;)

That's why I think this system is inappropriate for such tournaments, it's ok for leagues or tournaments with many teams and many matches. For example in Italian league I think it has happened sometimes that 1st ranked team after regular season had less victories than 2nd or 3rd ranked but those won too often only 3:2.

• Could you quote any situation? As I see it wasn't situation like that in the past. At WC everyone had 11 matches, here only 3 and probability of situation like this is much less. The same WGP.

Truth, there wasn't a situation like this in the past and probably won't be after tomorrow's matches. But I remember Ze Roberto complained about 3,2,1 system saying that it wasn't good that a team with most wins could end up not winning a tournament.

• Despite Rasic's Serbia is definitely out, I have to say once again that She is just scary :white: It seems like She doesn't have any weakness.

• Could you quote any situation? As I see it wasn't situation like that in the past. At WC everyone had 11 matches, here only 3 and probability of situation like this is much less. The same WGP.

Not from memory, as you and Matthias both said, this is quite an odd situation. But in the '11 WL pool that you mentioned, Poland and Bulgaria were level on ranking points, which is why the wins came into the picture:

http://www.fivb.org/EN/volleyb…ResultsF.asp?Tourn=WL2011

It would REALLY suck for the Netherlands to defeat the European champions and the world champions in the pool and not make the semis...

• If theres "points" column then the points count first thats all, WGP/WC - number of points and then set ratio (as far as i remember, maybe it was number of wins), WCH number of wins then point ratio

• So Germany and Turkey will fight tonight to run from Poland to face poor Russia :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:rolll:
    BTW. all polish sites are screaming that our girls are already in the semis. I hope so. I don't want to look at the table, at the point ratio and consider various options 'cause I may get confused and start to panic :S :D

• :rolll:
    BTW. all polish sites are screaming that our girls are already in the semis. I hope so. I don't want to look at the table, at the point ratio and consider various options 'cause I may get confused and start to panic :S :D

Because they are. Russia and Netherlands will fight for 2nd place in SF. We just need to win with Serbia, if we want to be first in our group :)