Olympic Games - 2012 London (qualification process)

• Qualification process for volleyball is the same for last few OG :

- World Cup is "additional qualification" for strongest teams
    - each continent must be represented so nevermind who will be qualified earlier by World Cup one team per continent will be present in OG.
    - continental qualifications cannot be done before World Cup or after international/world qualification because world qualification is the last step
    - if one/two or even three teams from the same continent will be qualified by World Cup their places in continental qualification tournament will be replaced by next teams
    (it must be checked additionally - acc. to continental championships ranking 2011 or latest FIVB ranking ?)
    - continental tournaments are organized acc. to local federation (CEV for Europe) and their own system will be applied (so could be different)
    (I remember tournament with direct competition like in WC with final game 2 best teams ranked highest after first stage. Also remember last competition with 2 groups and semi-finals / final) - sorry it's too early to say exactly
    - world tournaments are organized by FIVB and their system is simply. Each team will play against each - higher in final ranking is qualified (in Asian tournaments - women 3 highest + best Asian, men - 1 highest + best Asian)
    - teams (except hosts) for world qualifications are chosen acc. to FIVB ranking so for instance (women) Italy will be qualified through World Cup, Russia through continental tournament so the next two highest European teams will go to Japan for world qualification (Serbia, Poland, Germany, Netherlands or Turkey) !

yes, - Columbia or Venezuela can be qualified through continental tournament (Brazil and Argentina qualified in WC)
    yes, - Serbia, Italy, Poland, Russia, Bulgaria, Slovakia , France, Finland can be together in continental tournament (max 8 teams)

• Japan has always special priviliges - see they have to organize World Cup the most expensive volleyball tournament, they will organize continental & world tournaments, they're host of Grand Champions Cup etc.
    Regarding Italy the easiest is always final step - world qualification but for instance Italy may have one strong opponent from Europe like Poland, France or Bulgaria

• Thanks a lot for explaining!! :flower: Now it's more clear... And expecially is clear how hard it will be to qualificate! :white:

But if in the continental torunament can play only 8 teams, why all these matches for qualification with team like Hungary, Greece, Spain, Ned :heart: , Bosnia etc... How can they have a chance to take the place of a team that partecipate to the ECh, since they didn't?

yes, - Columbia or Venezuela can be qualified through continental tournament (Brazil and Argentina qualified in WC)
    yes, - Serbia, Italy, Poland, Russia, Bulgaria, Slovakia , France, Finland can be together in continental tournament (max 8 teams)

then I really hope that no more than one team from SA and no more than one team from NORCECA will be on the podium in WC... it's ok having at least a team from each conteninent, it's totally right, as the olympic symbol suggests :olympia: , but I think that Cuba, USA, Brazil and Argentina are a good enough rapresentative :rolll:

For once, I hope Italy won't play in Rome :rolll:

• Thanks a lot for explaining!! :flower: Now it's more clear... And expecially is clear how hard it will be to qualificate! :white:

But if in the continental torunament can play only 8 teams, why all these matches for qualification with team like Hungary, Greece, Spain, Ned :heart: , Bosnia etc... How can they have a chance to take the place of a team that partecipate to the ECh, since they didn't?

Below please find how was organized pre-qualification to continantal tournament in Europe. It should help you :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V…nt_European_qualification

http://www.cev.lu/Competition-…tion.aspx?ID=554&PID=1135

and one more link with total view of qualification 2008 :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V…_tournament_qualification

• Thanks for all the infos! Now it's more clear ^^

These are the pre-qualification torunament:

22-27 november

Pre-qualificazione 1: Slovakia, Turchia, Estonia, Austria, Spagna, Montenegro
    Pre-qualificazione 2: Francia, Rep.Ceca, Belgio, Germania, Grecia, Lettonia
    Pre-qualificazione 3: Finlandia, Slovenia, Portogallo, Croazia, Olanda, Ucraina

The team in blod is the host of the tournament. May be Slovakia will leave the organization of the tournament to Turkey.

Formula: two pools of three teams, the first two teams will play the semifinals (crossed), then the final. Who'll won the final will be in the European Qualification Tournament hosted in Bulgaria in May (8-13 May). Bulgaria (as host), Serbia, Italy, Poland and Russia (top 4 at ECh) are already qualificated to the EQT. In case one/more of these teams will be qualificate trhought the WC, the same number of second classificated in the pre-qualification tournament will join the EQT.

As you know only the winner of the EQT will qualificate to the Olympics.

• Bulgaria (as host), Serbia, Italy, Poland and Russia (top 4 at ECh) are already qualificated to the EQT.

The tournament in Bulgaria will have 7 teams ? That's a rather unusual number !
    Or is there some kind of wild card to make it a 8 teams tournament ?

• My bad, I count as if there was 2 pre-qual tournaments ! (so 2 winners when it's 3)
    I got confused with the 2 world qualification tournament that would be held in Europe (Germany and Italy) in may.

• Croatia is supposed to be the host of prequalification group 3 but it seems that Finland will be hosting :wavy:

There's been nothing on this in Finnish news. Last thing I heard was that a fan trip to Croatia to watch the qualification is being arranged by Finnish Volleyball Association.

• These are the pre-qualification torunament:

22-27 november

Pre-qualificazione 1: Slovakia, Turchia, Estonia, Austria, Spagna, Montenegro
    Pre-qualificazione 2: Francia, Rep.Ceca, Belgio, Germania, Grecia, Lettonia
    Pre-qualificazione 3: Finlandia, Slovenia, Portogallo, Croazia, Olanda, Ucraina

New coach of Slovakia, Štefan Chrtiansky, announced a team for pre-qualification tournament.

Setters: Branislav Skladaný (Haching, Nem.), Juraj Zaťko (Friedrichshafen, Nem.)
    Outside Hitters: Lukáš Diviš (Novosibirsk, Rus.), Róbert Hupka (Haching, Nem.), Martin Sopko st. (Al Nasr Dubaj, SAE), Štefan Chrtiansky ml. (Innsbruck, Rak.), Marek Mikula (St. Quentin, Fr.)
    Middle Blockers: Tomáš Kmeť (Berlín, Nem.), Emanuel Kohút (Sisley Belluno, Tal.), Richard Nemec (UNICEF Bratislava), Jozef Piovarči (Dukla Liberec, ČR)
    Opposite: Martin Nemec (Incheon, Kórejská rep.), Milan Bencz (Rím, Tal.)
    Liberos: Roman Ondrušek (Chaumont, Fr.), Matej Kubš (VKP Bratislava).
    Reserve: Peter Michalovič (Ostrava, ČR), Michal Sládeček (Zalau, Rum.), Matej Paták (VKP Bratislava).

We won't see in Poprad Michal Masny and Peter Michalovič.
    Andrej Kravárik will be assistant of coach.

• Dick Kooy is back in Dutch roster. Jeroen Rauwerdink's injury made the coach and players discuss about him. All players voted for Kooy's return.

15-roster for tournament in Croatia

Setters: Nimir Abdelaziz, Yannick van Harskamp,

Opp: Niels Klapwijk, Tony Krolis, Kay van Dijk

OH: Jeroen Trommel, Jelte Maan, Dick Kooy, Robert Horstink

MB: Rob Bontje, Lars Lorsheijd, Jasper Diefenbach, Wytze Kooistra

L: Gijs Jorna, Robbert Andringa

• I'm very happy Kooy and Horstink are back in the roster, and also Klapwijk is doing well in his new club --> Vibo Valentia.

It will be tough against Croatia and Finland, but it's possible to qualify for the next tournament.

• Who is this guy? Completely anonymous to me.. Also, what is with Tije Vlam and Overbeeke? OK, Vlam doesn't have too many chances among Bontje and Kooistra, but still..

• Who is this guy? Completely anonymous to me.. Also, what is with Tije Vlam and Overbeeke? OK, Vlam doesn't have too many chances among Bontje and Kooistra, but still..

Diefenbach is an 23-years-old MB, 196cm, playing for Langhenkel Volley, in Dutch League.

http://www.elteevolley.com/player/jasper-diefenbach

I can imagine you don't know him :)

About Vlam: he has no club at the moment, so I think that could be a reason why he isn't in the roster.

About Overbeeke: He played some nice games with his club Lennik, but I presume Benne thinks he is too unexperienced yet, for such important tournament.

• France's 14 for the pre-qualification tournament in Tourcoing (FRA) 23/27 november

setters: Pierre Pujol, Benjamin Toniutti.
    liberos: Jenia Grebennikov, Jean-François Exiga
    MBs: Gérald Hardy-Dessources, Romain Vadeleux, José Trèfle, Jean-Philippe Sol.
    OHs: Guillaume Samica, Samuele Tuia, Nicolas Maréchal, Earvin Ngapeth.
    Opposites: Antonin Rouzier, Marien Moreau.

i'm really happy to see Horstink back in his NT :D

• Nice to see Horstink back in NT.. with his presence The Netherlands are much more powerful. But as biggest Dutch problem I see opposite. Krolis lost form from the beggining of the season, I never liked Van Dijk but Klapwijk is playing extremly good in Valentia. I can't wait first match :obey:

Regarding Croatia all are fit, Galić is still in his club and should join team on Saturday. Omrčen got some rest after tough schedule in Macerata, Krnić is back in NT but Zhukouski should be starting setter as I dont know does Krnić found new club after leaving Beauvais.

• Dick Kooy will not play because of an injury :!: He already arrived from Modena with the injury, and today an investigation turned out the injury is more severely than expected..

Headcoach Benne will call a substitute..(I presume Thijs ter Horst or Jan Willem Snippe)