How did YOU play?

• That is weird, how come you hit with your left hand? :P Also, are you really 177? :P I'm jealous of you hitting Tofoli's sets though :P

I played a mix tournament this weekend. So we had 3 guys and 4 girls. I played middle blocker most fo the time, because we had too many outside hitters and I'm the only one selfless enough to not insist on playing on my own position :P Attacking through the middle sucks, because you always have a three man block, especially if you have girls attacking on the other positions. I was blocked a lot. I blocked quite a lot myself though :)

We had a really good team. Especially our girls all played in really good leagues. I was especially impressed with one of our outside hitters, who was easily able to hit rather powerful spikes over men's net. Like, she scored most points for our team. We ended up reaching the final, but lost :(

I'm still not in my best shape from not playing and skiing (skiing is always very bad for volleyball). I also stopped playing beach volleyball, because I wasn't getting enough sleep (still am not) and my knees can't handle that amount of strain apparently :(

• Hey, its me again! :)
    I removed the plaster on monday, but the ankle is still swollen a lot, so I can't train until it goes away. Im doing quite a lot of stuff to get rid of it (Ice massage, shock terapy, Electrostimulation etc.), but nothing seems to work. So now I just hope I will be able to start training in about 2-3 weeks :)

• Patience is the only thing that helps man :S Don't start training too early, trust me... learning patience will probably help you become a better volleyball player more than those few extra training sessions would anyway.

• We won the big Amsterdam city derby yesterday 3-1! 8o

I'm not in top form since I haven't practised a lot nor played a lot of matches lately (skiing and stopped beach volleyball practice due to problems with my knees and lack of sleep). In this league I do not need all my power and height to score points. So I played a pretty decent match, especially good in beginning and end. They had tall middle blockers, so I decide to hit most of my hits along the line, which worked really well :) Usually my prefered angles is diagonal, but it was cool to see I can still hit line as well. Reception was a little shaky, but decent. Jump serve: scored one ace, caused some havoc to their reception and made only one mistake.

I scored the match point as well (with another powerful line shot).. I already knew I was gonna score when I saw the set coming my way. I also scored the set point in the 3rd set, so everyone was like yay thank you HeeelMooi! for finishing the match, you're such a good player! *girlfriend hugs and kisses me*, etc..

All this being said, the match in general was very bad level of play with tons of mistakes. Also, usually I focus on letting go of any expectations during my match and this makes me relax.. but this time it was making me nervous for some reason. Somewhere half way through the match I honestly don't know what happened (mentally), but I relaxed and I was not doing what I usually do... But I don't even want to think about what it was that happened. When you're relaxed volleyball can be pretty easy. With a relaxed body and mind, you have overview, power (your arm is like a whip), you have twice as much topspin and in reception you just let your body and the ball collide in the way that feels natural and it all works out :) That's the best I can describe it, which is not very good :) It's like you don't even try and then you notice all of sudden that you just hit a really powerful spike without trying.. like there's no aggression in it.

Sorry for length of post, I'm in a chatty mood.

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG5eog9W6-E To further my general portayal of coolness here: this is me and my friends skiing, I'm 'Rogier', but don't tell anyone, alright? I'm the one in black and red with the technique.

• I think we've found the heir of Wijsmans :D

• I think we've found the heir of Wijsmans :D

How's that? Because he plays in a very relaxed manner? Or because he ahs the word Wijs in his name which translates in o 'cool' in Dutch in some contexts? Thanx though.. deeply honoured.

• I used to play as a middle-hitter
    I am tall like a libero
    I LOVE setting

Now I don't play anymore but I want to play

It's possible, you just have to believe in yourself and really not care what other people say, because I've heard it all.
    If you let someone else dictate what you're going to do in life, then you won't get there.

Non so neanche come onestamente: in due mesi ero di nuovo in campo.

• How's that? Because he plays in a very relaxed manner? Or because he ahs the word Wijs in his name which translates in o 'cool' in Dutch in some contexts? Thanx though.. deeply honoured.

Only mentioned Wijsmans because he is in your avatar :D

• Only mentioned Wijsmans because he is in your avatar :D

:D :aww:

• So I only just got back from skiing vacation (which always causes my volleyball level to drop two notches) and had to play a game against a team I really wanted to beat. If you've read my posts in this thread before, you might recall a match against a team with one particular lying individual and that blatantly lied to the ref in saying that he did not touch my spike, even though it probably left a bruise on his arm. I also single handedly lost the matches (after having played a great match) by missing 4 spikes in the 5th set (Kurek style!).

We lose first two sets, mainly due to very pore reception. As expected my game is quite sloppy. Balls that ar enormally easy, go flying all over the place and my attacks lack power and height. In the second set the same dude that lied last time gets a yellow card and gets ready to murder the ref pretty much (he's quite young, so let's forgiver him). So I'm like, wow, lot of anger in that dude. So then we go on to win the next 2 sets making it 2-2. My game starts getting better and better. Finally get some height in my attack and am able to hit over their midgit setter again.. phew. So in the 5th set it's 6-0 for us and then it HAPPENS... Our setter serves really quikly after the whistle.. and the other team thinks (perhaps correctly) that he served before the whistle, so they catch the ball, after which the ref gives us the point. They go nuts :cursing: :mad: :aww: ... some guy gets a yellow card, after which some other guy goes over to the ref and starts swearing and making obscene gestures, when he sees that he's getting a card, he points at the ref and yells (and I'm quoting) "I'll get you!", kind of in a way similar to how a gang member would. So that's a threat.. so he gets yellow and red card in one hand, so he's out of the gym for the remainder of the match. I'm all like "WTF dude? You've got to be kidding me..". When we change sides their bench player bumps into me with his shoulder on purpose... So anyway, we win the 5th set really easily, so I guess we got our revenge. In the locker room the guy who got sent off is laughing about it. One of our team member confronts him on it and there's another big discussion.

I really just don't give a shit about shit like this though. It all always sorts itself out. I'll start paying attention when someone physically attacks me, but not before. I can't even really blame these people, because that's just who they are, however much that may suck.

Finally now I have a period not intermitted by skiing (which is a luxory problem I know), so I hope I can get into good playing shape again and play some really good matches like before I went skiing. I'd like to focus on explosiveness and staying behind the ball in attack. So hopefully my next reports will be of me hammering home 20 balls per match, perfect reception and reeking havoc with my jump serve again :) For now.. I should be happy that we won this match, but strangely, I am not.

Thanks for reading :) :obey:

• First I played as OH, later in Croatian Superleague and Croatian Junior NT as libero :wavy:

Dude! and now? Tells us how you're playing now? or even tells us about a match that you played in the Superleague! What kind of player are you? How tall? Do you like to go for power and heigh, or power and angles, or smart shots? Jump serve, or float?

• Dude! and now? Tells us how you're playing now? or even tells us about a match that you played in the Superleague! What kind of player are you? How tall? Do you like to go for power and heigh, or power and angles, or smart shots? Jump serve, or float?

I quit 5 years ago :( when I enrolled on university my coach and club didn't showed interest to keep me, that was their attitude towards all guys who went on university :down:

One of the best match that I and my friends played were vs junior team Mladost Zagreb which was really strong in that moment with Kovačević (Yoga Forli), Vulin (now in Groningen), Nojić etc. We lost 3:0 (25:23, 26:24, 25:23) and took bronze medal after 28 years. :drink:

After that success we took silver (Croatian boys championship) and another bronze medal in Junior competition.

2004. I was invited to Croatian Junior NT team, Rade Malević was our coach :obey: that year in September, Zagreb was host of Junior European Championship and we started preparation. First we played vs Slovenia in Zagreb. They were much better because that generation was together for 3-4 years and we played first time.

In May (29-31. May ) we participated on Junior tournament in Germany (Erding) along hosts Germany, Germany B and France.

http://dvv-volleyball.de/index…d=14420&coid=6338&cid=15&

http://www.smash-hamburg.de/ne…05-22.htm#Internationales Volleyball-Junioren-Turnier in Erding

There I played best match in my carrer vs France. As I remmber we lost 3:0 but led 4-5 points in first and second set and lost both in tiebreak. In third set French led 2-3 points, we managed to get to 23-23 and lost 25-23. France was very strong with Rouzier, Emmanuel Rangodet (Sete libero), Sol (Poitiers middle blocker), Mory Sidibe (Noliko Maaseik), Tuia (part of French NT on EC in Turkey 2009), Gendrey (Tourcoing middle blocker) etc.

Germany also had good squad. Patrick Steuerwald, Schwartz, Westphal, Gunthor, Bohme etc. I was tight match (25:20, 25:21, 25:20), but they didnt trashed us and we fought hard. Later Germany won bronze medal on EC in Zagreb :whistle:

Hall was full on every match, Germans was cheering for us vs France :rose: great atmosphere, people were very kind and helpful :obey: one of the best experiences in my life, I was so proud to represent my country :thumbup:

In July Malević was sacked, new coach came and throw me and 4 other guys out of NT just 2 months before EC without reason. Later one guy told me I was kicked out because I was playing in small club :down: Team from Germany lost all matches but we showed we can cope with France, Germany because no one trashed us and with proper preparation maybe we could achieve something. Instead of that Junior team was embarassing. In group with Holland, Hungary, Czech Republic and Serbia and Montenegro didn't took single set but worst match was vs Holland (10:25, 17:25, 9:25) :gone:

2005. was my last season ;( I went on university and quit playing volleyball :wavy:

I'm 186 cm tall but used jump serve when I was OH. I always tried to use brain, so block out was my favorite way to make points :drink: due good defense abilities later played as libero :drink:

• Wow, that must've been amazing playing those matches against players like that! That always used to be my dream. Sad story to hear that you quit playing. In the long run, going to university will pay off of course, but still. Do you ever think about starting to play again? The technique never leaves you and it probably would take you about two weeks to get back to your old level...

Thanks for telling your story! It's very impressive, yet a little bit of a sad ending.

• I used to play as a middle-hitter
    I am tall like a libero
    I LOVE setting

Now I don't play anymore but I want to play

Then do!!!

• Wow, that must've been amazing playing those matches against players like that! That always used to be my dream. Sad story to hear that you quit playing. In the long run, going to university will pay off of course, but still. Do you ever think about starting to play again? The technique never leaves you and it probably would take you about two weeks to get back to your old level...

Thanks for telling your story! It's very impressive, yet a little bit of a sad ending.

When I see those players now, yes it's really amazing but then they were unknown guys :drink: Now they are playing for their NT, in very good clubs and I feel sorry that I'm not playing anymore :(

I had offer, last year, to join 2nd league club but due obligations on university I must refuse it. :mad:

• Yes, but I don't know if a team will take me to play. In my city there are no teams (there only the under)
    If i found a team I will play... Of course XD
    Then do!!!

It's possible, you just have to believe in yourself and really not care what other people say, because I've heard it all.
    If you let someone else dictate what you're going to do in life, then you won't get there.

Non so neanche come onestamente: in due mesi ero di nuovo in campo.

• My team and the number 2 team are the only teams to beat this team this whole season and we're currently ranked number 4, so we were expecting a lot from this game. I especially am, since I proved to be in good form at our last practice session (although not in the same super form as I was in the last time we faced them). Hitting warm up goes really well.

Then the match: pure chaos on our side... it was evident that everyone wanted to win and thus was nervous and that our opponent was not underestimating us anymore at all. It starts with their left haned middle drilling a spike right into our 3 meter line :S So anyway, we start to play better throughout the match, but never have a chance to win a single set. At some point I switched from my jump serve to my floater, since I was noticing that their best player kept struggling with floaters (bit like alexiev :P).

I played alright, I got a few good blocks in, jump serve wasn't too good, but floater was, reception was strong, attack was so so. They kept targeting me with their serve again to 'serve me out of the game', this didn't work at all, since my team mates were passing horribly, so I was happy when they served at me.

I could tell that my game was impatient, but I couldn't shake it off. I just really wanted to show my best game and hammer a few balls into their court. This resulted in me taking all out swings at horrible sets which obviously would go out. Setting was really bad this match btw. ON good sets I didn't get blocked once though, as I kept hitting it over or right through the middle of their block.

So next match I'll try to be modest again and expect nothing.

• Some info about me again... :D
    I've started training this week, with the help of kinesio tape and a compression sock, the final4 is exactly a month away, and the physiotherapyst said, that my chances for beaing able to play, are 60-40 :)