Christiane Fürst

• Here an Interview with MB Christiane Fürst in brasilian blog Volei Sem Fronteiras. Hope you like it

Translation:

1. Hi Chris, first, thanks for participating this interview, so we will start asking how are you? And how is your sholder recovering going?
    I'm fine thanks. Last week I came back to National team. For one week we have been training here near Stuttgart and we will go to Sardegna to play the Grand Prix Qualification at Wednesday (Friday is the first match). I don't think if I will play. It's to early but Giovanni is still thinking about this. But only for come inside and do some blocks. Everyday I feel better but I must work a lot. It's a long hard way to return but I decided to do this because my goals are going to the world championship and to start and play a good season for Fenerbahce Istanbul.

2. Could you tell us a bit about how and why did you start playing volleyball? And when you realized that volleyball was something you wanted to do as a profession?
    I did start playing Volleyball when I was 9 years old. A woman came in my school while we did athletics. She asked me if I wanted to play and I said yes. The real decision for playing professionaly I did when I left Germany to go play in Italy finally. It was in this moment I realized I wanted more and more....

3. What do you think about volleyball in Germany? How is the development of the sport in your country?
    First I want to say that I'm glad that german clubs began to participate more in international/ European cups. The aim is to return to play Champions League. International experiences are important to improve and we have a lot young players who want to play better. The best example is when they come to the national team and they are excited how you can play volleyball on a good level. I think we are on a good way. Our players are improving more and more and they are also leaving to play outside from Germany.

4. You are studing history in college right? Why did you choose this subject and what part of history calls more your interest?
    At first I wanted to study medicine. Three times I tried to enter but I didn't pass. Therefore I tried for history and politics. The university accepted for history but I had to choose a second subject. I took language science - indoeuropean languages. From when I can remember I'm really interested in history and now after years I will do my exams in contemporary history.

5. Unfortunetly here in Brasil athletes usually have to quit scholl early when they search for a professional career in sports. For you how important is to keep studing? Do you believe it also helps you inside a match to keep working not only your body but also your mind?
    Studying, doing something for my mind it's really important. Not only cause for german player it is necessary that you can work after your career, but it helps me to be concentrate. Also helps to forget for some minutes the sport. It helps me to find balance and to learn more things.

6. In 2007 you went to play in Italy, still very young. How was for you to adapt in a new country in your first year there? What was the hardest thing for you?
    It was a great experience and I did the right choise to go out from Germany. I wanted to try it and sure after 5 month you really want to see your family and your friends a lot. But it's great. I learned a new language, I was able to play with some of the best players if the world, I played in great teams and you adapt in a new culture more easy when your mind is open for all new things around you. I grew a lot in this three years and I'm looking forward to go to Turkey now.

7. A new journey starts for you now in Istanbul. What are your expectations for this season with the new club, and also for this big city you are going to?
    It's a great opportunity for me to go there. I'm looking forward and I hope my shoulder is ok when the season starts. It's a huge city and a totaly different culture. I want to enjoy all. But it is more important to play good, for sure. I want to help the club to achieve the aim to win the champions league. We have a strong team with some of the best international players and from the future of the turkish volleyball. Therefore I wish that it will be a great season with lot of success and experiences. For me personaly I want to enjoy this great city with its history, culture and mentality.

8. You had the chance to play aside great players such as Grün, and at only 19 years old you were participating Olympic Games in Greece. What do you think you learned from that generation and from that experiences that now as capitan you can use to help this new group Germany has?
    Grün is one of the best examples of a good teamplayer, captain and person. That generation - with which I had the great opportunity to train and to play - helped me to enter in the world of volleyball. Evertime in the summer time with the national team it was an improvement. Unfortunately Grün wasn't there anymore when I had my first year as captain. Therefore I try to remember how she did it, but also try to do it in the best way I can. I don't want that they compare us. I'm Chris Furst and she is Angi Grun. We grew in totally different ways, generations and clubs. But we wanted and want to try our best for the teams we are playing.

9. You were the best blocker from 2006 World Championship and you’re consider today one of the best middle blockers in the World if not the best. In your opinion what qualities a player should have to become a great blocker? Any advice for younger players?
    Block is a feeling. You must be concentrated, have good reactions, read the setter and when you are inside a match try to have a lot of fun. A lot of players and coaches thinks it's a passive action but I learned and think the opposite. You need calmness inside of you and focus. Important things are to wait, timing, the hands and the play against the opposite setter.

10. Last year Germany came to Brasil to play Grand Prix, and you could spent some time in our trainning camp. How was that experience for you and your teammates? What do you think about volleyball in Brasil?
    I've worked with brazilian players and of course with Ze Roberto. I like the brazilian style of Volleyball for a long time and I'm looking forward to have another chance to work another time with Ze this season. The time in Saquarema was great. We had the possibily to work good and be preparated for the Grand Prix and the European championships.

11. And Brasil as country? We could already read that you enjoyed here, what did you like the most?
    I'm passionated for Brazil. If I get the chance I want to play one time there only for enjoying the experience. I like the way of living, the food, specially fruits, and that it is warm.

12. 2010, year of World Championship. What are your expectations for german participation? For you, witch teams are the favorites?
    Our aim is to arrive between 5-8th place because we weren't able to do that it 2006 and it's a great thing for all of our team. It' s the hardest tournament of all and we must be very good preparated. I think the teams of Brazil, Russia, the young team of China and also the USA have good chances. But the tournement has its own rules. We will see what happens.

13. How do you prepare yourself in a day you have a important match to play? Any pre-match ritual?
    A good preparation begins some days before...training, video... One day before and at the same day of the game I'm calm. The match starts at certain time and before that I try to be relaxed, to be focus and do the normal things. I need coffee before a match - the only thing that is really important for me.

14. What do you like to do in your free time?
    I like to relax, to go out with friends and maybe if I have more days to see something from the world, like two days in London or somewhere else.

15. How is Christiane Fürst out of court? How do you define yourself?
    I think you must experience how I am. I'm not so good discribing myself :)

Fast ones:

- Volleyball Role Model: Natasa Osmokrovic e "Basia" Barabara Makowska
    - Superstition or lucky charm: lucky charm
    - I use number 11 in my jersey cause: it was my first number with the youth national team, but I like also 7
    - Something I miss from Germany when I’m away (apart family and friends): family and friends of course :) bread and german cakes
    - Favorite Italian word (if you have): coccole
    - Favorite Portuguese word (if you have): oi filha ( Mari Steinbrecher)
    - A dream: that we take more care of our enviroment and the people around us

http://voleisemfronteiras.blog…sta-christiane-furst.html

• Very nice interview :drink: :flower:

By the way, I just discovered: that blog is great!!! I wish I knew the administrator's names, so I could congratulate them with their blog ;)

• Very nice interview thank so much jo :flower:

• In The Netherlands it is now 11:14 pm :D In Turkey already 0:14 am :D

Two days ago, clock was forwarded 1 hour --> begin of summertime :D

@ Joana

Rio < ---> CET is 5 hours difference at the moment? I remember a few months ago, the difference was only 2 hours...right? ?(